Locked In The Potty On Oasis

jetersmom

My husband and I stayed on the Oasis while at port St Maarten. We were enjoying a quiet day by the pool. I needed to use the bathroom so I headed to the outside one with the bikini woman painting on the door. I was the only one in there. I did what I needed to do. I was washing my hands when I heard a loud whooshing noise. I don’t remember ever hearing that sound before in a bathroom in all my cruises. I investigated. There was water flowing sideways through the floor drain very rapidly and loudly. I thought maybe they clean the drains while in port?

When leaving, I hit the button to automatically open the door. Nothing happened. I tried the handle. Nothing happened. I waited a minute or two and tried again. Nothing happened. I tried a number of times before reaching the conclusion that I was locked in! I have anxiety disorder and mild claustrophobia so this wasn’t a good situation to be in. I tried to remain calm and think this through. I looked around the bathroom. There were no other doors, no windows, no emergency buttons etc. Yes, I didn’t expect any! I had locked my cell phone in the room safe for the week. I started to think about what I would do if I was the woman on the outside of the door and it wouldn’t open. I’d probably just go to another bathroom. I would never think that someone was in there locked in. That’s when I started furiously banging on the door and yelling. I was worried no one would hear me because the door was metal and thick. My hand was bright red from banging.

After a little while, I heard the click of the outside door open button. I hoped this meant someone knew I was locked in. I’m not sure how long I was locked in there. My guess is 10 to 15 minutes? The door finally was opened by two male crew members. There were two women with them. Thank you for hearing me and getting help. I told them how frightened I had been. The women said they were yelling back to me, but I didn’t hear them, probably because of the whooshing water noise.

By the way, my husband was on a lounge chair not far from the bathroom door, but he wasn’t aware that I was locked in. He figured I went to get a drink or a snack. He didn’t even realize that the bathroom door was behind him.

To make this long story short, the door locked two more times in a short span of time. The second time, the bathroom was empty and would not open. Maintenance was called. A crew member came over and asked if I was okay. I did say yes because I was still a bit in shock and felt embarrassed. I know—why? Anyway, he did not take my name. I realized later that Royal staff should have cared about me more and also I deserved to know what the heck happened.

I emailed from home. A customer service rep said he was sorry that happened to me. He didn’t know why it did. He would forward it so it could be checked out. I felt dismissed.

I am writing this on the forum because I want to make sure everyone understands that this can happen. I would not let a child use one of those bathrooms alone. I don’t think I could go in there alone. I do understand that eventually crew would get the door open but frankly I was on the edge of a panic attack.

Something to keep in mind cruisers!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I thought this story was going to be about something, ummm, "found" while in the bathroom.

Glad you are OK. I'd like to point out (and cue arguments from the old folks) that locking your phone in your room is not a wise move. This is one of the reasons we have cell phones. For emergencies. On what other vacation would you leave your hotel room / resort without your phone? There are 6,000 strangers onboard and a lot of places to get "lost" or "trapped." There are a lot of incidents that go unreported on those ships. Always better to be safe than sorry.

Again, glad you're OK.

I thought this story was going to be about something, ummm, "found" while in the bathroom. ��

Glad you are OK. I'd like to point out (and cue arguments from the old folks) that locking your phone in your room is not a wise move. This is one of the reasons we have cell phones. For emergencies. On what other vacation would you leave your hotel room / resort without your phone? There are 6,000 strangers onboard and a lot of places to get "lost" or "trapped." There are a lot of incidents that go unreported on those ships. Always better to be safe than sorry.

Again, glad you're OK.

My phone might have been with me, as I use it for the camera, but I don’t normally have internet access or phone calling ability out in the middle of the ocean. What could I have done?

I thought this story was going to be about something, ummm, "found" while in the bathroom.

Again, glad you're OK.

However not all of us have the internet or ability to use our phones while on board ...

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Heck...I got "locked in" the bathroom at our business! Something broke inside the door handle...thankfully, our mechanics were able to get the door open, and I'm thankful it was ME, and not a customer who got trapped! We had to replace the entire door knob/latch mechanism!

My husband and I stayed on the Oasis while at port St Maarten. We were enjoying a quiet day by the pool. I needed to use the bathroom so I headed to the outside one with the bikini woman painting on the door. I was the only one in there. I did what I needed to do. I was washing my hands when I heard a loud whooshing noise. I don’t remember ever hearing that sound before in a bathroom in all my cruises. I investigated. There was water flowing sideways through the floor drain very rapidly and loudly. I thought maybe they clean the drains while in port?

When leaving, I hit the button to automatically open the door. Nothing happened. I tried the handle. Nothing happened. I waited a minute or two and tried again. Nothing happened. I tried a number of times before reaching the conclusion that I was locked in! I have anxiety disorder and mild claustrophobia so this wasn’t a good situation to be in. I tried to remain calm and think this through. I looked around the bathroom. There were no other doors, no windows, no emergency buttons etc. Yes, I didn’t expect any! I had locked my cell phone in the room safe for the week. I started to think about what I would do if I was the woman on the outside of the door and it wouldn’t open. I’d probably just go to another bathroom. I would never think that someone was in there locked in. That’s when I started furiously banging on the door and yelling. I was worried no one would hear me because the door was metal and thick. My hand was bright red from banging.

After a little while, I heard the click of the outside door open button. I hoped this meant someone knew I was locked in. I’m not sure how long I was locked in there. My guess is 10 to 15 minutes? The door finally was opened by two male crew members. There were two women with them. Thank you for hearing me and getting help. I told them how frightened I had been. The women said they were yelling back to me, but I didn’t hear them, probably because of the whooshing water noise.

By the way, my husband was on a lounge chair not far from the bathroom door, but he wasn’t aware that I was locked in. He figured I went to get a drink or a snack. He didn’t even realize that the bathroom door was behind him.

To make this long story short, the door locked two more times in a short span of time. The second time, the bathroom was empty and would not open. Maintenance was called. A crew member came over and asked if I was okay. I did say yes because I was still a bit in shock and felt embarrassed. I know—why? Anyway, he did not take my name. I realized later that Royal staff should have cared about me more and also I deserved to know what the heck happened.

I emailed from home. A customer service rep said he was sorry that happened to me. He didn’t know why it did. He would forward it so it could be checked out. I felt dismissed.

I am writing this on the forum because I want to make sure everyone understands that this can happen. I would not let a child use one of those bathrooms alone. I don’t think I could go in there alone. I do understand that eventually crew would get the door open but frankly I was on the edge of a panic attack.

I guess the best thing to do is make sure you tell someone you are going to the restroom and to check if you don’t come right back.

I appreciate this was a scary situation for you and it sounds like you handled it quite well in trying to stay calm. It´s a unique story and I doubt it´s one to happen quite frequently. But yeah stuff happens.

I´m not sure how RCI could have cared more. They came over and asked if you were ok and you said yes. What should they have done more? If you felt differently later it would have been up to you to inform them about it. If you did and they didn´t care I would agree with you, but the way I read your post there was nothing for them to do aside from what they did.

As for your email from home, what would you expect from a person receiving your email, sitting in an office maybe thousands of miles apart from the ship, other than an apology and a promise to look into this? They surely can´t answer any of your questions as they are not on the ship and they said they would forward the information to the ship. I don´t see anything else they could have done. What were your expectations?

As for going in there alone in the future. It won´t help you to be trapped with two persons in there. Better solution would be to have the second person outside, being able to get help if needed. Same for kids in there.

I thought this story was going to be about something, ummm, "found" while in the bathroom. ��

Again, glad you're OK.

Even if I had taken my phone with to the pool. I doubt I would have taken it to the bathroom, assuming I just go there for a quick potty break in my bathing suit. (I know this may or may not have been the situation the OP was in).

Even if you had your phone in there, who would you have called? Do you have any number handy you can call on the ship? Remember this would be like a Shore to Ship call, so you would need the ships number and your credit card, as these ships go through your credit card only and then you´d need to know who on the ship to call.

I don´t think a cellphone would have benefit in this situation, unless you would have someone else on the ship you yould have texted / called and you knew they would repsond to their phone at the time.

Even if I had taken my phone with to the pool. I doubt I would have taken it to the bathroom, assuming I just go there for a quick potty break in my bathing suit. (I know this may or may not have been the situation the OP was in).

Even if you had your phone in there, who would you have called? Do you have any number handy you can call on the ship? Remember this would be like a Shore to Ship call, so you would need the ships number and your credit card, as these ships go through your credit card only and then you´d need to know who on the ship to call.

I don´t think a cellphone would have benefit in this situation, unless you would have someone else on the ship you yould have texted / called and you knew they would repsond to their phone at the time.

I was thinking of the 911 call that this would cause. “Hello 911 what is your emergency?” I am stuck in the toilet with the lady in the Bikini. ETC. ETC. ETC.

JC

Actually, I once had a somewhat similar experience in my childhood, I was travelling with my parents in the back of our truck camper this was back in the 60s. I would ride back there often and could play games read a book etc. We were driving somewhere towards Yellowstone, and I decided to go the the bathroom in the tiny un AC bathroom, the door jammed and I was in there for a hour before they stopped for gas and then could hear me yelling to get out. Then there was the time, they stopped for gas and I was asleep, I woke up decided I needed a candy bar, and about the time I opened the door to the station the truck pulled off out of the drive. Fortunately there was a stop sign about 100 yards down the road, and I caught them just as they were about to pull away. Never was so scared in all of my life. The next year’s summer vacation and the rear window of the truck was removed and a crawl thru was installed.

JC

I appreciate this was a scary situation for you and it sounds like you handled it quite well in trying to stay calm. It´s a unique story and I doubt it´s one to happen quite frequently. But yeah stuff happens.

I´m not sure how RCI could have cared more. They came over and asked if you were ok and you said yes. What should they have done more? If you felt differently later it would have been up to you to inform them about it. If you did and they didn´t care I would agree with you, but the way I read your post there was nothing for them to do aside from what they did.

As for your email from home, what would you expect from a person receiving your email, sitting in an office maybe thousands of miles apart from the ship, other than an apology and a promise to look into this? They surely can´t answer any of your questions as they are not on the ship and they said they would forward the information to the ship. I don´t see anything else they could have done. What were your expectations?

As for going in there alone in the future. It won´t help you to be trapped with two persons in there. Better solution would be to have the second person outside, being able to get help if needed. Same for kids in there.

I would like to have known why the door air locked and what was done to prevent this from occurring in the future. I think the crew member should have taken my name and cabin number and had an officer check on me and explain what happened. Yes, I realize I could have gone down to guest services. My point of this post is to make cruisers aware of a possible situation. If Royal explained what happened and what they are doing to prevent it in the future, I would feel better. I know some seriously claustrophobic people. I wouldn’t want this to happen to them. I think if I wasn’t alone in there, just the companionship would have kept me calmer.

OP, I feel for you! And very impressed that you didn't panic. It would be nice to know why this happened. We are embarking in two weeks and I'm now planning on having our group ensure at least one other person knows if they are going to the washroom, so that we are all aware. Thanks for sharing as this may help someone else avoid what you've been through.

Oh my goodness!!!!! As a person who struggles with horrible claustrophobia (which leads directly to nasty panic attacks), I'm so glad u got out when u did!!!!

Just reading ur story made my blood pressure go up, lol.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Forums mobile app

I'm sorry that happened to you. It's scary. It happened to me once at a concert in Tampa. Had to climb OVER the stall into the next one to get out. Felt like an olympic gymnast!

I was upset at first but now have a funny story to tell! btw, men are lucky to get to pee in a urinal when available, so it cuts down on the possibility of this ever happening to them!!!

Great points here.

Again, glad you're OK.

I disagree. I have on many occasions left a hotel room to go to the hotel pool (the equivalent of this scenario) without my phone. And as others have pointed out, many of us do not select to have any cell phone service or internet service on a cruise ship. Also, many people cruise to escape things like cell phones. Besides, who would they have called?

Oh my goodness!!!!! As a person who struggles with horrible claustrophobia (which leads directly to nasty panic attacks), I'm so glad u got out when u did!!!!

Just reading ur story made my blood pressure go up, lol.

I could see a lock breaking and getting stuck in a bathroom. I cannot see a door sealing without a lock. I’ll be more aware in all public restrooms from now on. Those saying get over it clearly do not have claustrophobia. Lucky for them. I’m sorry you do. [emoji8]

I could see a lock breaking and getting stuck in a bathroom. I cannot see a door sealing without a lock. I’ll be more aware in all public restrooms from now on. Those saying get over it clearly do not have claustrophobia. Lucky for them. I’m sorry you do. [emoji8]

I've always told myself that it's a silly fear but that doesn't stop it from being a VERY real one!!! Those who are so cavalier about things like this must walk on water! How nice for them...... 😕

Compassion never hurt anyone! And ppl wonder what's wrong with this world, lol.

I'm glad everything turned out well for u and thank u for highlighting something I never even noticed in those restrooms......the lack of an emergency button. U would thing, with the variety of ages on these ships, that they would want one! Not only for wonky doors but also for medical emergencies in general. Something they might want to consider......