Riviera vs. Veendam: similar itineraries

sattva

Looking for advice on a cruise Venice to Barcelona for next spring. We’rein our mid-seventies, so this could be the last of some twenty trips to Europe.

Riviera and HAL’s Veendam have virtually identical itineraries. We would be new to Oceania but have sailed onHAL several times along with Azamara and Celebrity.

Riviera and Veendam both carry about 1200passengers. We caremost about the itinerary with decent food and friendly service also important. Wecare nothing about shows, games, or spas. We prefer ocean view cabins: Riviera's look larger and brighter. Veendam is obviously older. Is itjust too old—and does it still have a library and other quiet spaces? By most reports, Riviera has better (or more ambitious)food. We hate dressing for dinner, aplus for Riviera, but the recent debate on this forum about dress code madeOceania sound pretentiously “casual.”

Cost for a 12-day cruise is50% higher on Riviera. Is it worth theextra thousands? I’d especially like tohear from anyone who has traveled on Riviera and Veendam (or other smaller HAL ship) recently.

Thanks!

Only you can decide if it is worth the extra $$

I say give Oceania a try & judge for yourself

as for dress code not sure what pretentious casual looks like ?

Wear long slacks or skirt & & nice top or dress if you prefer for dinner ...you will be fine

JMO

The only pretensions are those of some posters here who want to impose dress code requirements of their own.

The Oceania dress code is easy to follow and doesn't require any "fancy" clothes.

Riviera has a library, although the libraries on the smaller Oceania "R" ships ( former Renaissance ships just like those used by Azamara ) are nicer.

50% higher fare makes it a tough call.

Looking for advice on a cruise Venice to Barcelona for next spring. We’rein our mid-seventies, so this could be the last of some twenty trips to Europe.

Riviera and HAL’s Veendam have virtually identical itineraries. We would be new to Oceania but have sailed onHAL several times along with Azamara and Celebrity.

Riviera and Veendam both carry about 1200passengers. We caremost about the itinerary with decent food and friendly service also important. Wecare nothing about shows, games, or spas. We prefer ocean view cabins: Riviera's look larger and brighter. Veendam is obviously older. Is itjust too old—and does it still have a library and other quiet spaces? By most reports, Riviera has better (or more ambitious)food. We hate dressing for dinner, aplus for Riviera, but the recent debate on this forum about dress code madeOceania sound pretentiously “casual.”

Cost for a 12-day cruise is50% higher on Riviera. Is it worth theextra thousands? I’d especially like tohear from anyone who has traveled on Riviera and Veendam (or other smaller HAL ship) recently.

Thanks!

There are many things that are included in the Oceania fare that are not included on HAL (internet, soft drinks and bottled water, port taxes to name a few). Once you take all that is included into consideration, the difference between the Veendam and Riviera may not be that great. That being said, I haven't been on the Riviera yet but I have been on the Veendam and I can safely say that it is past its prime. The only advantage to the Veendam that I can see is that it meets the new size requirements for sailing into and out of Venice.

There are many things that are included in the Oceania fare that are not included on HAL (internet, soft drinks and bottled water, port taxes to name a few). Once you take all that is included into consideration, the difference between the Veendam and Riviera may not be that great. That being said, I haven't been on the Riviera yet but I have been on the Veendam and I can safely say that it is past its prime. The only advantage to the Veendam that I can see is that it meets the new size requirements for sailing into and out of Venice.

You forgot to mention the largest included item - airfare (in addition to free specialties & some others with O Life)

Of course, one can get a cruise only fare without air (and receive credit for it) and without O Life.

Thanks!

We were last on Riviera in mid-2016. O's cabin cost may be higher but it includes airfare or (air credit) plus amenities you'll pay for on HAL (internet, choice of OBC/booze/excursions).

As to food, there's no contest there. Oceania reputation for the "best food at sea" is well earned.

Here's Insignia's GDR menu from 2 nights ago:

23155d6a050505306fcf01c10a377223.jpg

Even the casual Terrace Café has "a la minute" cooking - steak/lobster daily, staff served food (no gross self-service), al fresco dining on the fantail AND many special dining opportunities including pop-up food prep by the executive chef:

a3a0e65bbf972e83361fd64cdf4c95c4.jpg

And don't forget the original and only true -dedicated (24 station) cooking school at sea - curated by Jacques Pepin.

I was on the Veendam and although I thought it was nice there is no comparison to any Oceania ship. For starters, the food on Oceania is fantastic in my opinion. The service on Oceania is fantastic. Oceania is a thousand steps above.

Go with Oceania.

There is no comparison in quality, Whatsoever.

We were on Veendam years ago and it’s was in sorry shape then, never ever again would I sail on the old ships of Holland America.

Oceania is in a different league altogether. Food, service, ship condition, ambiance all so much better. Riviera and sister ship Marina are the nicest ships we’ve ever sailed on.

In May we were on Marina, docked in Quebec City next to the Veendam. Veendam looked dinky parked next to Marina. We talked to some Veendam passengers who said the saving grace was the ship was not full, lots of vacant staterooms.

If you think this may be your last trip to Europe, I say go for it! Treat yourself to the Riviera- you won’t be disappointed!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Totally agree. If the higher cost of Oceania really isn't a burden, it's worth every penny. I just got back from Alaska on Nieuw Amsterdam (I know, larger and newer than Veendam). My friends were on their first cruise in 20 years and I probably drove them nuts comparing everything to Oceania. Apologizing, actually. They bought the soda package and ended up drinking no more than two or three Cokes a day because it was so difficult to find someone that would go get one. Also apologized for the food and the zoo of people in the buffet, the photographers, the art auctions, the formal nights, all the announcements, etc. It wasn't a horrible experience, it just wasn't in the same league as Oceania.

Oceania is a completely different experience. Do it!

Never sailed on the Veendam, but have done HAL, the only potential minus, I believe, is that you have to be in Concierge class or above to get a hot breakfast delivered to your cabin on Oceania, whereas on HAL this service is available to all. But I doubt that would be a deal breaker

I have sailed 3 times on Veendam (9 HAL cruises) and 12 times on Riviera.

The biggest plus for me on Riviera is the Terrace Dining versus the Lido on HAL. I wouldn't think

of dining in the Lido but I love eating in the Terrace -both inside and on the aft deck

Veendam is an old ship but I found the cabins spacious, the bathrooms have been updated(not as nice

as Riviera but better than the smaller O ships) and the balconies larger than Oceania balconies.

For those that like a lot of outdoor space, the large wraparound Promenade on Veendam is lovely - something that doesn't exist on Riviera - I know some of you will point out the upper deck above the pool but it isn't the same.

Food is definitely better on Riviera but you won't starve on Veendam and their New York pizza and Dive In burgers are very tasty. America's Test Kitchen is on the Veendam and has some very good demonstrations with recipes.

The included internet, soft drinks, virgin mixed drinks, coffee, sometimes prepaid grats and more OBC are a definite plus for O. I always have a bill on Holland America when I leave but almost never on O.

If money isn't the most important reason in making your decision, I would definitely try Riviera if you haven't been on an O ship.

One last point- it is hard to describe why but I have met more people on O that I am still in touch with than I ever connected with on 9 HAL cruises.

We’ve been on both the Veendam and the Riviera and without hesitation I would book the Riviera cruise. Also, as others have mentioned the Riviera price includes a lot of extras (airfare, internet, bottle water and OLife options) whereas HAL does not. Also the food is wonderful on Oceania!!

Hi S,

>Cost for a 12-day cruise is50% higher on Riviera. Is it worth the extra thousands?

I looked up cruises for May 2019.

I would not pay the extra.

Ira

Bye bye Ira.

Only kidding.

You need to compare "net daily rate" rather than cabin cost. For example, if you're headed abroad by air, at least $1-2k USD/person would need to be added to that HAL fare (on O, airfare or an air credit are built in to your bottom line quote). Then add the cost of specialty restaurants, beverages, internet, et al on HAL - all of which is included in the O fare.

Of course, then there really is the quality difference:

The problem with HAL is that, if you book with them to supposedly save a few dollars, you're still on a mass market ship that is in no way what it was many years ago.

If you want the value laden quality, break open your piggy bank and try Oceania (even if it's only a week long Caribbean run that includes Cuba.

You do need to compare exact costs. The cost for O is 3800 pp (cruise only) for an Ocean view versus same for HAL at $2500 pp with taxes. Those FREE extras only make the % difference higher than 50%.

HAL includes grats -- so that would offset the water and soft drinks you would buy on HAL.

So for the OP is $7600 vs. $5000 for both travelers worth the difference in better food and newer ship.

Love the comment about sinking the Veendam and using her for a reef.. Our last HAL cruise was on the Rottendam (oops mean Rotterdam) same era..

Edited by PaulMCO

We have travelled on both lines, and both ships. We have found that Oceania in our humble opinion is a superior product and, with cost of airfare included has worked out to be a better financial decision. Love Holland, but love Oceania more. Enjoy either way!

I have sailed on both the Veendam and the Riviera. On the Veendam we went to South America for 31 days and was probably one of the most fabulous journeys I have taken in regard to ports and the amazing places we visited. However, the ship was in poor shape and everything is extra—specially restaurants, mini bar, coffee bar, and now there is a limit in bringing wine on board. You get two free bottles and then pay the corkage at embarkation for the rest. So even if you drink it in your cabin, you are paying a corkage on it. This really bothers me.

On Riviera, you are on a newer better maintained ship, with many more amenities included in the price. The on-board experience is just better. I have taken about 10 HAL cruises and am a 4 star mariner, but have walked away. I find the food is much better, both in dining room, the Terrace Cafe (Oceania’s version of the Lido), and the specialty restaurants are included in the price. Plus you can bring as much wine or sprits as you like on board and only pay corkage on what you bring to the dining room or a bar.

Another big plus for us is that the port times on Oceania are longer. On HAL the port times keep getting shorter and shorter. We cruise for the ports and it is important that we have enough time to explore the area where we are docked.

In my opinion, you get what you pay for and I am willing to put out the extra money for the better cruise experience on Oceania.

Terri