No longer an Oceania Cheerleader

LHT28

Really ???

I am the OP & I have NEVER been on Regent so how would I be comparing my experience on Oceania with them

Makes me wonder if people actually read what is posted

But as I said before everyone should do what works for them & not based on my experiences

We have a great experiences on Oceania but this time it was not so good

try Oceania & be your own judge

Lyn

I was talking about the Oceania board in general as this person seemed to be baseing their decision just on your few bad meals. I was just trying to help a new person to Oceania make a realistic judgement, I in no way wanted to downplay your poor experience, maybe you should give Regent a try!

fud2468, my 90 yr old MIL took one Oceania's Med cruises when she was only 89 and somewhat mobility challenged (there is a vanity issue here) and enjoyed it doing what she could do and passing on what she could not (to be fair, she had done most of the ports before), She enjoyed the cruise and would also have enjoyed our recent FP cruise doing what she could and skipping what she could not. Enjoy your upcoming cruises.

Lyn: Those of us who have seen your posts over time, understand your criticism on this thread and know it was not just about a "few bad meals". Yeah, this thread might be done but much said on it has been interesting and relevant.

I was talking about the Oceania board in general as this person seemed to be baseing their decision just on your few bad meals. I was just trying to help a new person to Oceania make a realistic judgement, I in no way wanted to downplay your poor experience, maybe you should give Regent a try!

As much as I don't want to post on this thread again, I can't resist. Oceania loyalists generally do not like Regent (which is fine with me -- it is hard to hear negative comments about a sister company - whichever one it is said about).

I do appreciate your post and think it will help newbies to the Oceania board get a non-bias perspective of the situation.:)

• 2 weeks later...

I am delighted to report on our 16th day on the Marina that I do not feel that ANYTHING on Oceania has deteriorated.

Our last cruise was with Princess, and we are very happy to be back. In San Francisco last year we had to stand in the rain for an hour before boarding the Grand Princess, in Papeete we walked straight onto the ship and into our cabin at 12:20 PM (we had previously been told that we could not board until 5:00 PM)

At breakfast yesterday morning, my coffee saucer in the GDR was slightly stained but in no danger of dripping on my clothes or the tablecloth. I was amazed when a waiter swooped in to change my saucer. "Not necessary", I said. "A clean saucer looks so much nicer, Madam". This was typical of the wonderful service we have received.

Service in the specialty restaurants was also excellent. Throughout each meal, we were asked by name several times if everything were ok. Waiter, assistant waiter, wine steward, and maitre d all took the time to look up our name before approaching our table. All meals were as delicious and well prepared as in the past.

With the new grilling station in the Terrace Cafe, this lobster lover could get delicious lobster tails every single day if I wished. :) When too tired and hungry to clean up and dress for dinner after a tiring day on land, we could just walk up to the grilling station, never have to wait in line, and within a couple of minutes we could have lobster tails, lamb chops, steak, or fish (I am not overly fond of buffets). A waiter would quickly appear to carry our plates to the table.

Bottom line: it is still a treat to sail with Oceania, and they still provide far superior service to the main cruiselines, and especially more than I will receive once we return home in one more week. :(

:)

I am delighted to report on our 16th day on the Marina that I do not feel that ANYTHING on Oceania has deteriorated.

Our last cruise was with Princess, and we are very happy to be back. In San Francisco last year we had to stand in the rain for an hour before boarding the Grand Princess, in Papeete we walked straight onto the ship and into our cabin at 12:20 PM (we had previously been told that we could not board until 5:00 PM)

At breakfast yesterday morning, my coffee saucer in the GDR was slightly stained but in no danger of dripping on my clothes or the tablecloth. I was amazed when a waiter swooped in to change my saucer. "Not necessary", I said. "A clean saucer looks so much nicer, Madam". This was typical of the wonderful service we have received.

Service in the specialty restaurants was also excellent. Throughout each meal, we were asked by name several times if everything were ok. Waiter, assistant waiter, wine steward, and maitre d all took the time to look up our name before approaching our table. All meals were as delicious and well prepared as in the past.

With the new grilling station in the Terrace Cafe, this lobster lover could get delicious lobster tails every single day if I wished. :) When too tired and hungry to clean up and dress for dinner after a tiring day on land, we could just walk up to the grilling station, never have to wait in line, and within a couple of minutes we could have lobster tails, lamb chops, steak, or fish (I am not overly fond of buffets). A waiter would quickly appear to carry our plates to the table.

Bottom line: it is still a treat to sail with Oceania, and they still provide far superior service to the main cruiselines, and especially more than I will receive once we return home in one more week. :(

It's so good to read this, so thank you for describing your recent experience. There have been a number of things said on these boards recently that left me feeling concerned about what our upcoming cruise would be like. You've put my mind at ease.

I am so glad to hear that

Just wish I could have said the same for our cruise:(

Maybe next year

Lyn

For the most part the quality is still there some of the service was not up to the past standards we have had.

You should try them & judge for yourself

I think we just had a bad luck cruise

Your experience could be totally different ;)

Lyn

Just arrived home from Riviera cruise this morning. Service was best I have experienced in 25 cruises including some on Crystal and one prior cruise on Oceania. Since my prior Oceania cruise, food service and entertainment are especially improved from one year ago.

:)

It's so good to read this, so thank you for describing your recent experience. There have been a number of things said on these boards recently that left me feeling concerned about what our upcoming cruise would be like. You've put my mind at ease.

totally correct. We just got off Marina today in Sydney and had a wonderful cruise. Our 7th or 8th. Can't remember. No change from our past great cruises. Staff, food, service, could not be better. Can't wait for our next one.

I think this thread may have gone on too too long. I am glad that readers seem to have picked up that Oceania is a quality product. Any perceived short comings have been easily remedied or are not a commonly reported experience. On to the next thread (I hope)!

I think this thread may have gone on too too long. I am glad that readers seem to have picked up that Oceania is a quality product. Any perceived short comings have been easily remedied or are not a commonly reported experience. On to the next thread (I hope)!

Perhaps FDR has been reading this thread, but it seems that he is not commenting as much as he used to do!!!

If people would stop posting to it then it will die

I am glad things have been dealt with by Oceania so no one will have to have the poor meals & service we had last cruise.

We have always thought Oceania was a quality product or we would not have sailed with them for the past 10 years

Find another dead horse to beat

We have heard on board that Oceania doesn't support CC meet and mingles or meet and greets. We just came off Nautica's, Singapore to Hong Kong and we had a very successful meet and greet in Horizon's. We planned it on the roll call, in advance, to take place after the Muster Drill and Sail away during Happy Hour. When first on board the person organizing it, went up to Horizon's and met with the Head Bartender. He let him know that we would like to meet with a few people in the corner where continental breakfast is served. He indicated the number of people so that they can have the right number of wait staff available to take orders. They moved the tables and chairs out of the area to accommodate our group. We were all moving from person to person with drink in hand chatting, introducing each other. Conversations are much more encouraged when there are not enough places to sit. We had "Hello my Name is" stickers for folks to fill out. The bar staff was very happy to accommodate the extra traffic during a usually slow time on board. Our cocktail party lasted over an hour and a half without getting in the way of other activities. This way it didn't cause any extra effort for the CD or other staff. All in all it was a very memorable cruise for us. It was up to the usual high standards of Oceania in our opinion.

What you described for your M&G was exactly how it was arranged on our last Marina cruise. The list & info was posted on the RollCall. It was casual, and enjoyable. CCMembers just showed up after the drill. We were well over 100 on our RC & more than half showed up. No formal arrangements necessary, just a heads up to the staff at Horizon as Bill Explained..

We have heard on board that Oceania doesn't support CC meet and mingles or meet and greets. We just came off Nautica's, Singapore to Hong Kong and we had a very successful meet and greet in Horizon's. We planned it on the roll call, in advance, to take place after the Muster Drill and Sail away during Happy Hour. <snip>

Bill, do you recall if there was any special event on day 2 of your trip? I have planned for our meet and greet on Nautica for the second day, early evening (happy hour). My only concern was whether or not it would clash with some event like the Captain's party.

Thanks!

Frances,

My mind may be playing tricks on me but it seems to me that the captain's party has indeed usually been held on the second day, especially if that is a sea day. It can depend on the size of your group whether that would be a problem.

Even though Oceania doesn't "host" these gatherings, I've always found them very helpful in setting them up and giving me a time and venue. I just go to the Concierge. This has been true of the "R" ships and Marina (we haven't been on Riviera yet). The ship also sends out invitations to all the people on my list.

If it's a small group, this wouldn't be necessary. I didn't notice when your cruise will take place, but perhaps a TA could get an answer from Oceania close to the departure date. The might already know when they're going to schedule the Captain's party.

Mura

post hoc ergo propter hoc

Geez, I hate to add to this thread because it needs to have a fork stuck in it, but, I think the info that is coming from others about the M&G should have its own thread.

Others might want some of this new info and the search function isn't always reliable....so Host...could this be possible? c

Geez, I hate to add to this thread because it needs to have a fork stuck in it, but, I think the info that is coming from others about the M&G should have its own thread.

Others might want some of this new info and the search function isn't always reliable....so Host...could this be possible? c

You posted what I have been thinking:)

We are on Riviera now at the midpoint of the cruise and we have to say that everything has been great. Service, food, everything. One thing that's different from our last cruise (when we were first able to have the Pestige Beverage Package) is that the Sommeliers will not let your glass get empty. Even at lunch in Terraces and GDR for lunch.

One of our roll call members arranged the meet and greet. Oceania had formal invitations in our stateroom when we boarded and provided snacks in Martinis for the M&G.