Filing a Ins. claim due to trip cancellation of destination

UPDATE: I just got off the phone with Nationwide and we will indeed be eligible for this benefit. I have to wait until we return to file the claim, and I'll need to show proof of the itinerary change (I have documentation of this) and proof we actually took the trip. The bottom line is that we will receive $750/pp - that's $1500! Sure does ease the disappointment in the itinerary change!

Nevermind I see it was $160 wondering does it cover lost luggage?

Has anyone experienced filing a claim (trip Cancellation) due to insured's Destination being made Uninhabitable. When the destination being the change of ports from Eastern Caribbean to the Western Caribbean.

My carrier is Travel Guard and I proposed this to their CS who simply suggested I file the claim she did mention my destination was the Caribbean, however I do feel I purchased tickets for the E. Caribbean and not just the Caribbean. Any helpful info out there is welcomed.

I am with you. Other cruise lines are compensating their passengers for change of destination and many are still going to Eastern Carribbean but Norwegian is not. Norwegian is altering their entire destination itinerary from Eastern Carribbean to Western. That is changing regions, not merely ports. And not giving passengers incentive to continue plans or opportunity to cancel cruise as other lines are.

I tried to cut and paste - still a little sloppy, but you can get the gist..

nationwide_logo_100px.png

Plan NameChoice Cruise

Plan TermsView Certificate

Plan TypeComprehensive

Total Policy Cost$160.38

Available toU.S. Residents that are traveling on a covered cruise line during the trip

Customer Ratingstar-on-small.pngstar-on-small.pngstar-on-small.pngstar-on-small.pngstar-half-small.png

291 plan reviews

Trip Cancellation$950

Interrupt For Any ReasonSee Return Home Early coverage details in Additional Notes section below

Trip Interruption$1,425

Financial Default14 day wait if insurance purchased prior to or on the day of Final Trip Payment and certain conditions are met.

Terrorism in Itinerary CityForeign and U.S. Domestic

Cancel For Any ReasonNot SelectedTravel Baggage$2,500

$300 per article limit

$600 combined max. for specified items (secondary)

Travel Baggage Delay8+ Hours

$500 (secondary) Travel Delay6+ hours

$150/day

$750 max. (secondary)

Medical$100,000 (secondary)

Dental$750 Incl. in Medical (secondary)

Emergency Medical Evacuation$500,000

24-Hour Emergency AssistanceYes

Pre-Existing Conditions WaiverIf insurance purchased prior to or on the day of Final Trip Payment and certain conditions are met.

Pre-Existing Condition Period60 Days

Insurance CompanyNationwideA.M.

Best RatingA+

Refund Policy10 Day Review Period

Rental Car Collision/Loss (per policy)Not Applicable

Accidental Death - 24-Hour$25,000

Accidental Death - Common Carrier

Included in Accidental Death 24-HourAccidental Death - Flight

Included in Accidental Death 24-HourPolicy FulfillmentEmail

Additional OptionsNoneTravel Supplier Restrictions

Additional NotesReturn Home Early [Requires purchase prior to or on the day of Final Trip Payment] - $500

Port of Call Change - Prior to Departure - $750

Shipboard Service Disruption - $200

Itinerary Change - Pre-Paid Excursion Reimbursement - $500

Missed Connection (3+ hours) - $1,500

I am sure that there may be some policies which will pay in the event of change of destination -- you might even be able to find one covering for late arrival at a scheduled port. The point is: what does your particular policy cover? And, it would be interesting to know how much more such finely tailored policies might cost. Insurance companies are in business to make money- which means they are careful to limit the sorts of events which might require them to pay claims --- and, of course, the obvious fact that the wider the coverage, the higher the premiums will be.

• 1 month later...
I have this Nationwide policy for our upcoming 11/5 Oasis cruise which was changed from Labadee/St. Martin/San Juan to Nassau/Costa Maya/Cozumel. It looks like I may have a claim. I will call on Monday and report back with my results. We'll see what "up to" means.

"In the event a Cruise makes a Change in Your Trip Itinerary prior to Your actual departure date we will pay up to the Maximum Benefit shown on the Confirmation of Coverage.

Change in Your Trip Itinerary shall mean the Cruise has a documented change of Port of Call from the scheduled itinerary.

Verification by the Cruise of the change in the scheduled Trip Itinerary will be necessary for claim payment. "

I had no idea - thanks, CC!

I wanted to report back with my results. I made the claim as soon as we returned from our trip and yesterday we received $1500 as a settlement ($750pp). I am thrilled and surprised to say the least. We had a great time on the cruise, which was changed to a Western itinerary. Needless to say, we will be purchasing this type of Nationwide policy whenever we cruise in the future

We always use Nationwide for cruise insurance too, this particular benefit is why. You can buy it any time, but if you buy it before final payment they waive the 60 day pre-existing condition period (I think). You only have to have bought it before the port change is made known to you in order to qualify for that benefit.

I wanted to report back with my results. I made the claim as soon as we returned from our trip and yesterday we received $1500 as a settlement ($750pp). I am thrilled and surprised to say the least. We had a great time on the cruise, which was changed to a Western itinerary. Needless to say, we will be purchasing this type of Nationwide policy whenever we cruise in the future

You went on the cruise and enjoyed it and filed a claim for which you received $1500. Do you feel good about that?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Forums mobile app

You went on the cruise and enjoyed it and filed a claim for which you received $150. Do you feel good about that?

They got $1500, not $150. They paid additional for the benefit of compensation if ports of call changed and the insurance company made good on a valid claim. Why should they feel anything but pleased with the outcome? They didn't get a freebie or anything that they were not entitled to. They purchased the coverage.

They got $1500, not $150. They paid additional for the benefit of compensation if ports of call changed and the insurance company made good on a valid claim. Why should they feel anything but pleased with the outcome? They didn't get a freebie or anything that they were not entitled to. They purchased the coverage.

I made the correction. Something about going and filing the claim just doesn't sit well with me. To each their own though.

I made the correction. Something about going and filing the claim just doesn't sit well with me. To each their own though.

They paid extra for the benefit of being able to make that claim. Insurance companies sell it betting that they take in more revenue than they pay out. I don't see anything that anyone would have any qualms over. If they did not pay additional for this coverage and fought to get the benefit paid, yes, that would be wrong in my book.

They paid extra for the benefit of being able to make that claim. Insurance companies sell it betting that they take in more revenue than they pay out. I don't see anything that anyone would have any qualms over. If they did not pay additional for this coverage and fought to get the benefit paid, yes, that would be wrong in my book.

Thanks for the support. Let me make this clear - I am a glass half full kind of gal and I've never had a bad time on a cruise. However, we missed Labadee (which I love), St. Martin (one of my favorite ports), and San Juan (which I was looking forward to visiting). Instead, we got Nassau (been there, done that), Costa Maya (which totally sucked) and Cozumel (where we WERE able to book a fun excursion last minute). So, although we had a great time, it was still very disappointing and I don't feel guilty for being compensated.

Thanks for the support. Let me make this clear - I am a glass half full kind of gal and I've never had a bad time on a cruise. However, we missed Labadee (which I love), St. Martin (one of my favorite ports), and San Juan (which I was looking forward to visiting). Instead, we got Nassau (been there, done that), Costa Maya (which totally sucked) and Cozumel (where we WERE able to book a fun excursion last minute). So, although we had a great time, it was still very disappointing and I don't feel guilty for being compensated.

I really don’t think you owe anyone any kind of explanation. While the other poster is entitled to their point of view I really can’t understand what the issue is. The insurance company sells a product with specific provisions, you paid for it and filed a claim for a covered reason. We buy the exact same policy and have also made a claim for a weather related missed port. I will continue to buy this policy until they stop selling it, but clearly they make enough money off it to cover the provisions.

The service was very easy and we got our reimbursement very quickly.

You went on the cruise and enjoyed it and filed a claim for which you received $1500. Do you feel good about that?

I bet she does.

She kinda had to go to get this reimbursed. It specifically in loses changes in ports. She paid for the xoverage. She gets to make a claim for it.

I really don’t think you owe anyone any kind of explanation. While the other poster is entitled to their point of view I really can’t understand what the issue is. The insurance company sells a product with specific provisions, you paid for it and filed a claim for a covered reason. We buy the exact same policy and have also made a claim for a weather related missed port. I will continue to buy this policy until they stop selling it, but clearly they make enough money off it to cover the provisions.

Yes, from me! We always buy it and have never had to claim, so eventually we will simply be getting our money back if we ever do need to file one. I don’t see why people have a problem with someone filing a legitimate claim under the terms of their policy.

thumbs-up.png

As many times as I am made aware of just how hard insurance companies make it on people trying to file a legitimate claim, I am super pleased to hear that handbellplayer was paid what she was legally owed from the company. I think it's awesome and will be looking at Nationwide Ins in the future.

Thanks for your updates. We were on the same Nov 5 Oasis cruise and when you first posted, I didn't remember which Insurance Company we had purchased from. Pulled out the contract and lo and behold; Nationwide Choice. We have a claim in process and are encouraged by your settlement.

Thanks for your updates. We were on the same Nov 5 Oasis cruise and when you first posted, I didn't remember which Insurance Company we had purchased from. Pulled out the contract and lo and behold; Nationwide Choice. We have a claim in process and are encouraged by your settlement.

I'm so glad I posted and reminded you! Good Luck!

Good for you on having an insurance do what they say they will do! I would have done the same thing. There is a reason for insurance, and if you have the benefit...by all means you should use it.

Anyway, I was just curious as to what excursion you did in Cozumel. We've been before, but we are taking my dad on his first cruise in March and I'm stumped with trying to find a good thing for us to do while in port.

Good for you on having an insurance do what they say they will do! I would have done the same thing. There is a reason for insurance, and if you have the benefit...by all means you should use it.

Anyway, I was just curious as to what excursion you did in Cozumel. We've been before, but we are taking my dad on his first cruise in March and I'm stumped with trying to find a good thing for us to do while in port.

We went on the Cozumel Bar Hop, which is a lot more tame than it sounds. It's a tour of the eastern (almost uninhabited) side of the island, which is absolutely beautiful. You do stop at four bar/restaurants along the way. It was our second time to take the tour and it was a blast.

http://cozumelbarhop.com/

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g150809-d1788364-Reviews-Cozumel_Bar_Hop-Cozumel_Yucatan_Peninsula.html