Stop bringing non-service animals on ships

Ask a Cruise Question
Post your general cruise questions here.
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 01:29 AM.
828 Posts
Joined Apr 2013
Mo & Fran -- you just beat me to it! I was about to post the URL for the report about Delta Airlines new guidelines.

Maybe the cruise lines will follow Delta's example.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
My future: Crown Princess (March '18)
Sapphire Princess (June '18)

My past: NCL (1967); Sitmar ('74, '78, '79, '81, '82, '85. '88); Commodore ('75); RCCL ('80, '83, '99); KD on the Rhine ('83); American Hawaii ('85, '87); Celebrity ('98); Premier ('99); American West (2000); HAL (2014) Princess (Dawn x5, Crown x3, old Royal x2, Ruby x2, Emerald x2, Star, Golden, Grand, Sun, Diamond
Brooksville FL
3,892 Posts
Joined Apr 2009
The news today has airlines cracking down on the phony service dogs and eliminating those comfort dogs in the cabin.
Our comfort dog ( arn't they all?) goes to the kennel when we travel .

Sent from my iPad using Forums
Los Angeles
302 Posts
Joined Dec 2013
Originally posted by MCC retired
The news today has airlines cracking down on the phony service dogs and eliminating those comfort dogs in the cabin.
Our comfort dog ( arn't they all?) goes to the kennel when we travel .

Sent from my iPad using Forums
Another such article from today, 1/19...
https://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/ai...-board-n839186
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
JohnAmtrak - 30,000 miles: Coast Starlight, Empire Builder, California Zephyr, Southwest Chief, Sunset Limited, Texas Eagle, Capitol Limited, Pacific Surfliner. Later this year: Sunset Limited, City of New Orleans, Southwest Chief.
Other rail - White Pass and Yukon Route Railway - Skagway to Carcross, Grand Canyon Railway, Fillmore and Western Railway, Napa Valley Wine Train, Metrolink, Private railcar excursions.
New Jersey, the Philly end
7,473 Posts
Joined Jan 2004
Originally posted by Underwatr
I agree, but the ada.gov website does not clearly state this in all places, adding to the confusion for establishments that must comply (which was my point).

https://www.ada.gov/service_animals_2010.htm simply says
Examples of such work or tasks include guiding people who are blind, alerting people who are deaf, pulling a wheelchair, alerting and protecting a person who is having a seizure, reminding a person with mental illness to take prescribed medications, calming a person with Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) during an anxiety attack, or performing other duties.

https://www.ada.gov/regs2010/service_animal_qa.html provides some more detail:
Q27. What does under control mean? Do service animals have to be on a leash? Do they have to be quiet and not bark?
... Or, a returning veteran who has PTSD and has great difficulty entering unfamiliar spaces may have a dog that is trained to enter a space, check to see that no threats are there, and come back and signal that it is safe to enter. The dog must be off leash to do its job, but may be leashed at other times.

But it boils down to the point made in this article:
Pierce is frustrated that the law is so vague, often misunderstood, and simply used as an excuse to bring pets somewhere they don't belong. Because you can only ask if a person with a service dog has a disability and what tasks the dog is trained to perform, most businesses and other services simply don’t question service dogs at all. And most people with emotional support animals don’t realize that their pets aren’t actually guaranteed equal access by the ADA, or any other law, outside of air travel.

Really the only mechanism available to legitimate service dog owners is to sue a business that denies them access, which just worsens the problem. “The owners of most places are intimidated,” says Pierce. “They don’t want a lawsuit on their hands for being wrong, and they don’t know what their rights are, so they don’t ask questions.”

I disagree that a law suit is the only effective option for a user of a legitimate service dog when denied access. Each Independent Living Center I worked with had proactive educational outreach to businesses and government agencies that had complaints about ADA compliance. These efforts were generally well received and usually resulted in future compliance. They also provided consultation upon request.

There will always be people that try to cheat and game the system. Look at parking spaces designated for people with disabilities. Earlier this week I was at my Physician's office . . . a car without a h/c tag was parked in a designated stall. I mentioned it when I was checking in. The receptionist asked for the operator of the vehicle who went to the desk, left the building and returned shortly. It was all discrete, no drama.

Just two asides. Even a legitimate service animal can be asked to leave if it is not under control, urinates, or evacuates. Only two kind of animals are recognized under ADA - dogs and (tada) miniature horses.
Florida
137 Posts
Joined Jan 2014
Originally posted by LMaxwell
Since businesses are too afraid to do anything about this growing problem, I wish people would be respectful enough to STOP bringing their pets on ships. You do a major disservice to people who genuinely require the assistance of a trained support animal and already have enough struggle in life. Your "fur baby" that is not a trained service animal does not belong on the ship, period. If you are too cheap to pay for pet boarding, don't take a cruise. If you can't handle being apart from your pet, work out that issue. You may think it is cute to push your dog in a stroller or dress it in an outfit, but the rest of us laugh at you, not with you. The crew is there to provide services to guests, not to clean up after your pets. Please be considerate of those with genuine needs and other guests. It's okay to leave your dog home, they'll go plenty bonkers when you return anyways. Pets in restaurants is particularly disgusting. I am an animal lover but there is a time and place, and a cruise ship is wholly inappropriate for your pets.

Well said!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums