Stop bringing non-service animals on ships

LMaxwell

Maybe they should also have to pay "cruise fare" just like we have to do.

No I don’t want to legitimize these actions. I want those bringing pets to think long and hard if they would incur a cleaning penalty and make them opt to leave the pet at home or with a pet sitter or service. Trained service animals won’t leave a mess all over and so no worries of losing your cleanliness deposit

Has anyone noticed that CATS are not an issue here?

At least (it seems) that cat owners have sense/consideration enough to leave their "fur babies" at home. Although my 22lb. orange tabby (Haines) would probably enjoy a cruise; he loves everyone & all the attention he can get. He is my "emotional support animal" but we both know where he does NOT belong.

And, yes, I'm a dog person too. In my younger adulthood I've had an Old English Sheepdog, a Collie & 3 Newfoundlands -- BIG hairy dogs who shed (LOTS) and definitely don't belong in a restaurant, much less a cruise ship!

Service dogs are wonderful, well-trained, and a living medical tool for their people. It's a total shame that irresponsible people & their untrained pets tarnish the term "service dog".

At least (it seems) that cat owners have sense/consideration enough to leave their "fur babies" at home. Although my 22lb. orange tabby (Haines) would probably enjoy a cruise; he loves everyone & all the attention he can get. He is my "emotional support animal" but we both know where he does NOT belong.

And, yes, I'm a dog person too. In my younger adulthood I've had an Old English Sheepdog, a Collie & 3 Newfoundlands -- BIG hairy dogs who shed (LOTS) and definitely don't belong in a restaurant, much less a cruise ship!

Service dogs are wonderful, well-trained, and a living medical tool for their people. It's a total shame that irresponsible people & their untrained pets tarnish the term "service dog".

Your Newfies might be handy there was a “man overboard” situation. I’ve seen them drag people out of backyard pools, that didn’t need or want to be dragged out.

Your Newfies might be handy there was a “man overboard” situation. I’ve seen them drag people out of backyard pools, that didn’t need or want to be dragged out.

I'm a Newf fan as well, and I saw a show that had a Newf under training for an Italian search and rescue service, and part of the training was to tow 11 people at one time to shore. They are also required to be thrown out of helicopters (about 15 feet up) to join the rescue swimmer.

I'm a Newf fan as well, and I saw a show that had a Newf under training for an Italian search and rescue service, and part of the training was to tow 11 people at one time to shore. They are also required to be thrown out of helicopters (about 15 feet up) to join the rescue swimmer.

I love most dogs.

Owned many breeds over the years, boarder Collie, Collie, Corgi, German Shepherd, Kelpie, Fox Terrier, More Dalmatians than I can count, Doberman, Chinese Crested, Schnauzer, we bred, showed and judged.

I know I’ll miss my mini schnauzer next cruise. And have considered taking him, as he is a service dog. Now I’m in a wheelchair he is getting great at picking things up for me and invaluable at home, but I doubt he would enjoy the restrictions I would place on him on a ship.

I once questioned a Starbucks barista when a customer had his dog's face all up in the open food display, drooling on items that some unsuspecting customer will eventually touch and eat. She seemed perturbed that I would dare "put her in that position."

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

I have an 80 pound Old English Sheepdog and I keep saying I'm going to take her on a cruise, because after her, they really wouldn't want dogs on cruises.

I think that service dogs should be licensed, just like handicap car plates, but some of the organizantions are against this, because they say then folks will know their handicap. Now, since they would get the license at a place like the DMV, how would anyone know their handicap??? This would stop all the fakers, emotional support dogs, etc., because then only service dogs would be allowed in public places, with the exception of airplanes where emotional support dogs can go.

OK.....you had to get me started!!!! I love my animals as much as the next person, however, SERVICE ANIMALS are TRAINED, and in AZ a person who brings their doggies into grocery stores and/or restaurants need to understand that unless they can provide the proper paperwork, these establishments have the right to ask them all to leave.

It is called Title III, and it states that these people are violating the ADA section III, and if they lie about their animals being true "service animals", it is considerated a FELONY!! Look it up!!!!

All true Service Animals are to remain on the ground, with proper paperwork indicating exactly which disability they have been trained for. I have seen these animals in grocery carts with their little behinds right where I would be putting my fresh produce.....NASTY!!!

There is one and only one reason that grocery stores, restaurants, cruises, etc. will not abide by the rules....$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The first time I step in some animals' fecal matter inside and happen to sustain a serious fall or worse, it might get some attention......we shall see!!! Any attorneys cruise?????

Another way to fight them is to join them, and I assure you the first time a person were to bring in their pet boa constrictor snake, cat or whatever animal they have, and they were asked to leave, I can see the attorney's on the billboards having a field day in our courts!!

OK.....rant over....and I love animals, just use common sense people!......thanks for listening!

Bringing dogs on cruise ships and planes and in retail establishments seems to be a fairly recent phenomenon.

I do not recall seeing pets on ships ,planes or in stores as recently as three years ago.

I question what has caused this change.

Unless, because we live in such a stressful world there ihas become a need for “emotional support”animals.

Whenever I see a dog waiting to board a plane with their owner,or a dog in a store, I politely ask someone in charge ( ie. a gate agent or store manager) what the policy is regarding animals being allowed entry.

I have e mailed Southwest Airlines,inquiring about the pet policy aboard their planes. Apparently a total of six dogs and or cats can fly in the cabin. They must be in a pet carrier that fits under the seat in front of the owner. A service dog may stay with their person during

a flight. On a recent SWA flight, there was a lovely black lab assisting the blind gentleman who was the dog’s person.

The man and the dog had first row seats so the dog could rest comfortably at the man’s feet.

Service animals provide care and companionship to those who truly need assistance. The little dogs that wear a vest declaring them to be emotional support dogs do a disservice to the importance of those dogs trained specifically in assisting someone with a handicap.

I think it is important to let management realize that there are customers who do not appreciate the presence of animals while traveling or shopping.

If other customers have this opinion,I think they should voice it to the company that is allowing animals in places where they were not welcomed in the past.

Our last cruise was in the Fall of 2016 on the Royal Princess. We did not encounter any dogs on that ship

However, I know that if I encounter dogs with their owners on any future cruise , I will speak to Passenger Services and would consider asking to speak directly to the Hotel Manager on board.

If we only remark about the situation to our family or friends and do not offer our opinion to businesses who allow animals entry ,then ,in a way, we are allowing the practice to continue and grow.

For some people,if you give them room to have their way, they can feel entitled to more and more room.

OK.....you had to get me started!!!! I love my animals as much as the next person, however, SERVICE ANIMALS are TRAINED, and in AZ a person who brings their doggies into grocery stores and/or restaurants need to understand that unless they can provide the proper paperwork, these establishments have the right to ask them all to leave.

First, service dogs have no "paperwork", so the fakers could give them anything and they would believe it. Second, they don't ask them to leave because they are afraid of being sued, because when they question one, the first thing out of their mouth will be, I have a service dog and if you don't let me in, I'll sue you.

MJSailors, just an fyi, emotional support dogs (like service dogs) are not required to be in a crate under the seats on airplanes, according to the law : Federal regulations allow a legitimate emotional support animal, whether it be a dog, a cat, a pot-bellied pig or even a miniature horse in one case, to travel on airplanes in the cabin with the owner, outside of a carrier

First, service dogs have no "paperwork", so the fakers could give them anything and they would believe it. Second, they don't ask them to leave because they are afraid of being sued, because when they question one, the first thing out of their mouth will be, I have a service dog and if you don't let me in, I'll sue you.

MJSailors, just an fyi, emotional support dogs (like service dogs) are not required to be in a crate under the seats on airplanes, according to the law : Federal regulations allow a legitimate emotional support animal, whether it be a dog, a cat, a pot-bellied pig or even a miniature horse in one case, to travel on airplanes in the cabin with the owner, outside of a carrier

I wonder how many will continue to threaten to sue when it is pointed out, falsely claiming that their dog is a service animal is a FELONY. :D

I wonder how many will continue to threaten to sue when it is pointed out, falsely claiming that their dog is a service animal is a FELONY. :D
I would hope many would sue and then they would have to prove in court that their pet is a service dog, but unfortunately businesses won't take the chance and will continue to let them in.

I don't see anything in the ADA Title III about a felony for falsely claiming a service dog, especially since the law does not require any specific training of certification. It is currently up to the states to start passing laws regarding criminalizing these false claims.

I am allergic, so you can imagine my feelings about all this.

So, I take it this is more a situation on ships leaving from US ports rather than foreign ports? Or is my assumption wrong?

Mef_57

I saw 1 "service dog" 6.5 yrs. ago on a US/Caribbean cruise; I've seen none since. However, most of my cruises since then have been in/out of European or S. American ports, so you may be correct.

Mef_57

I saw 1 "service dog" 6.5 yrs. ago on a US/Caribbean cruise; I've seen none since. However, most of my cruises since then have been in/out of European or S. American ports, so you may be correct.

Thanks for the observation. I'll carry antihistamines, and I respect the work TRUE service dogs do, but it's looking like an extra bonus that my next cruise is leaving from Guadaloupe.

Our cat goes with us in the rv, but we'd never in a thousand years bring her on a cruise. I can't wrap my head around the logistics of getting her to the cabin. Even the best boarding we ever had would have been a horror for poor kitty. You'll notice that all my concern is for the cat. :D

Since businesses are too afraid to do anything about this growing problem, I wish people would be respectful enough to STOP bringing their pets on ships. You do a major disservice to people who genuinely require the assistance of a trained support animal and already have enough struggle in life. Your "fur baby" that is not a trained service animal does not belong on the ship, period. If you are too cheap to pay for pet boarding, don't take a cruise. If you can't handle being apart from your pet, work out that issue. You may think it is cute to push your dog in a stroller or dress it in an outfit, but the rest of us laugh at you, not with you. The crew is there to provide services to guests, not to clean up after your pets. Please be considerate of those with genuine needs and other guests. It's okay to leave your dog home, they'll go plenty bonkers when you return anyways. Pets in restaurants is particularly disgusting. I am an animal lover but there is a time and place, and a cruise ship is wholly inappropriate for your pets.

I'm afraid that everything you say is absolutely correct. It has gotten so bad that one can not walk into a Lowe's store, or a Target store without seeing someone with a dog. Now, before you think I'm not a dog lover, nothing could be farther from the truth. I have a German Shepherd and a Dachshund. We go to the store - THEY stay home. And yes, we love them dearly. Hell, now that our kids have grown up and moved out - they are our "kids".

Honestly, it is ridiculous the way some of the folks can't make a move WITHOUT having their dogs with them.

For the life of me I can't understand how these stores (restaurants and grocery stores) allow this practice to continue.

Edited by RandallFlagg

It is called Title III, and it states that these people are violating the ADA section III, and if they lie about their animals being true "service animals", it is considerated a FELONY!! Look it up!!!!

All true Service Animals are to remain on the ground, with proper paperwork indicating exactly which disability they have been trained for. I have seen these animals in grocery carts with their little behinds right where I would be putting my fresh produce.....NASTY!!!

There is one and only one reason that grocery stores, restaurants, cruises, etc. will not abide by the rules....$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The first time I step in some animals' fecal matter inside and happen to sustain a serious fall or worse, it might get some attention......we shall see!!! Any attorneys cruise?????

Another way to fight them is to join them, and I assure you the first time a person were to bring in their pet boa constrictor snake, cat or whatever animal they have, and they were asked to leave, I can see the attorney's on the billboards having a field day in our courts!!

OK.....rant over....and I love animals, just use common sense people!......thanks for listening!

It is illegal under Federal law to ask for any type of documentation so that portion of Arizona law that you mentioned is illegal and unenforceable.

Below is a link to a very simple explanation of the ADA from the US Justice Department.

https://www.ada.gov/service_animals_2010.htm

Note that the only legitimate Service Animals are Dogs and in some cases Miniature Horses. ESAs are not considered service dogs except for PTSD. Also, foreign countries have no responsibility to follow the ADA. I always find interesting that if you are allergic or are fearful of dogs, you lose.

These stores that are allowing animals in are basically doing it as a courtesy because they don't know the law or just don't want to be concerned about the consequences.

Edited by dkjretired

Check out article on USA Today “Several states crack down on “fake” service dogs”

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/2017/10/29/several-states-crack-down-fake-service-animals/807676001/

Could be the start of a larger conversation we need to have

Sent from my iPad using Forums

The problem those states have in cracking down is they still don't have the right under any conditions to ask for documentation or any way to prove the animal is not a service animal except for their behavior after the fact.

(I once questioned a Starbucks barista when a customer had his dog's face all up in the open food display, drooling on items that some unsuspecting customer will eventually touch and eat. She seemed perturbed that I would dare "put her in that position.")

I work for a popular bakery, with our wonderful pastries set out every morning for customers to choose from. We do have a glass sneeze guard but it could be larger. When a customer comes in, carrying their little pooch (with no identifiable vest), hovers over the pastries, you can bet I ask them to have consideration for the next customer behind them, and not let their dog's dander, hair, drool, nasal drip, or possible fleas contaminate our product for sale.

And yep, I have a lot of animals and cannot imagine a life without them. But I would not expect others to accept them as I do. Let alone take them on a confining cruise ship.

It boils down to consideration and respect for others. REAL service animals are another matter.

I agree with the message of op. It is not healthy, and many people take advantage of it and make bad use of regulations. It does not enter my head how a person is allowed to enter the MDR with their dog and that they share the food from the guest plate. They also do not pay a fee or tip.

When a customer comes in, carrying their little pooch (with no identifiable vest), hovers over the pastries, you can bet I ask them to have consideration for the next customer behind them, and not let their dog's dander, hair, drool, nasal drip, or possible fleas contaminate our product for sale.

Service animals are not required to wear a vest and probably a lot of them that you see wearing a vest are the vest one can buy on line for their pet.

I just look at one of those sites and they say an eating disorder is a reason for a service dog..ha ha. Now, does the dog bark when they feel one has eaten to much or do they grab the food from their mouth....unbelievable that people will fall for anything.