D+ on Freedom class

I will also be interested in the D+ admittance to the Concierge Lounge. Sandy at RCCL yesterday was sure about it, because she told me to go there if we wanted mixed drinks on the Independence. We'll see.

We should all call and ask RCCL the same things. I wonder how many different answers we'll get. :rolleyes: We know how that has gone in the past as we've read customer service responses to cruise critic members about other things. It won't surprise me in the least to find out that it is being handled completely different on each of the Freedom Class ships.

We should all call and ask RCCL the same things. I wonder how many different answers we'll get. :rolleyes: We know how that has gone in the past as we've read customer service responses to cruise critic members about other things. It won't surprise me in the least to find out that it is being handled completely different on each of the Freedom Class ships.

I think we have gotten a lot of different answers from the President on down in the past. Asking RCI won't change that. Maybe just more different answers. That is probably why OP is asking what actually happened.

Me either.

I did receive an email stating that there would be no changes to the DL on ships with a designated one. I hope that means that mixed drinks are still complimentary. That is certainly the way I read it. I guess I'll see in a few weeks. Next week should make for some interesting reading.

pcur

Cruising with Royal Caribbean International is truly a rewarding experience, especially when you're a member of the Crown & Anchor Society. The more you treat yourself to our amazing cruises, the more we reward you with benefits and extras. And with our Crown & Anchor Society Youth Program, the entire family can enjoy the rewards!

Member Benefits as of September 1, 2009

Starting September 1st, 2009 Crown & Anchor Society offers the following benefits. Crown & Anchor members continue to receive valued benefits such as discounts on cruises, savings certificates and priority boarding and departure. Our Platinum and Diamond members also will continue to receive discounts on balcony and suite category staterooms including the recently introduced upgraded services and amenities for suite guests.

For Diamond members, the changes include:

• A new exclusive nightly event for Diamond and Diamond Plus members to meet and mingle with other fellow members on ships without a Diamond Lounge. This will feature complimentary wine, champagne and a happy hour discount of 25% off beer, liquor and soda fountain drinks.

• A continental breakfast with a crew member available to provide services such as obtaining ice show tickets and other assistance.

Now we offer either the Diamond Lounge or a Diamond Event on every ship in our fleet. On ships with a Concierge Lounge, it will be limited to Diamond Plus and Suite guests.

Thank you for your continued loyalty to Royal Caribbean. For the convenience of all our Crown &Anchor members, the following chart outlines all benefits, starting September 1. If you are cruising between now and September 1 and have questions about your benefits please contact the Crown & Anchor Society at 1-800-526-9723 or e-mail them at crownandanchor@rccl.com.

I could be wrong (and Lord knows it wouldn't be the first time), but with all the discussion about the changes this is what I understood: On ships with both a DL and CL, no changes will happen; the DL will be for D/D+ and the CL will be for suite pax, as it has been in the past. On ships with only a CL, the CL will now be for suite pax and D+, with D members no longer allowed to use the CL. On ships with neither lounge, there will be a special event each evening for D/D+ members; I'm not sure if there will be the special evening "event" for D/D+ members on ships with only a CL.

Is it possible that the sentence should read "On ships with only a Concierge Lounge, it will be limited to Diamond Plus and Suite guests"?

As I understood it, D/D+ members have had access only to the DL unless they were cruising in a suite, which would give them access to the CL as well. Could someone please confirm?

Let's hope it is handled the way it is worded...on ships with a CL, D+ and Suite guests will both have access. In no place is it stated that on ships with a DL that the CL priveledge is revoked for D+ guests. I guess I better print out that page to show to the concierge on Freedom in case he plans to go against the stated policy.

What I find to be odd is that there will be a charge for plain soft drinks at the diamond event. So, if we don't like beer or wine, we have to pay for a simple coke. :(

Have D+ members had access to both the DL and CL on ships with both lounges? I had read many times that D/D+ members have only had access to the DL on ships with both a DL and CL. If that's the case, the cruise line cannot be accused of revoking a privilege that never existed. If D+ members have always been allowed in both the DL and CL on ships that have both, then it's a simple change in policy that probably has to do with the number of D+ members (obviously, that's just a guess).

The issue of charging for soft drinks at the Diamond event is beyond absurd! Who had the bright idea to charge for a soda, but include beer and wine? Yeah, that won't irritate loyal passengers who are justified in feeling peeved. Stupid, IMO.

Me either.

I did receive an email stating that there would be no changes to the DL on ships with a designated one. I hope that means that mixed drinks are still complimentary. That is certainly the way I read it. I guess I'll see in a few weeks. Next week should make for some interesting reading.

I hope that's true. It's what I read several times over the past few months and it's how I interpreted the C&A page on the website.

beachchick

I could be wrong (and Lord knows it wouldn't be the first time), but with all the discussion about the changes this is what I understood: On ships with both a DL and CL, no changes will happen; the DL will be for D/D+ and the CL will be for suite pax, as it has been in the past. On ships with only a CL, the CL will now be for suite pax and D+, with D members no longer allowed to use the CL. On ships with neither lounge, there will be a special event each evening for D/D+ members; I'm not sure if there will be the special evening "event" for D/D+ members on ships with only a CL.

Is it possible that the sentence should read "On ships with only a Concierge Lounge, it will be limited to Diamond Plus and Suite guests"?

As I understood it, D/D+ members have had access only to the DL unless they were cruising in a suite, which would give them access to the CL as well. Could someone please confirm?

Have D+ members had access to both the DL and CL on ships with both lounges? I had read many times that D/D+ members have only had access to the DL on ships with both a DL and CL. If that's the case, the cruise line cannot be accused of revoking a privilege that never existed. If D+ members have always been allowed in both the DL and CL on ships that have both, then it's a simple change in policy that probably has to do with the number of D+ members (obviously, that's just a guess).

D+ members NOT in a suite have not had access to Both DL and CL in the past and this will continue to be the policy is our understanding. On a ship with Both, nothing will change. D/D+ in DL and suite guests in CL. It's on ships with CL only that the D members will no longer be admitted just suite guests and D+, imho.

Please don't hijack my thread by re-hashing what RCI told us in the past or what your interpretation of the policy is, or even what RCI is saying now. I wanted this thread to be about what RCI is actually doing.

There's probably 1000 pages of he said, she said and various interpretations. If that's what you want, add to that 1000 pages.

Let's see what RCI is doing on the ships from the CC's that experienced it.

Please don't hijack my thread by re-hashing what RCI told us in the past or what your interpretation of the policy is, or even what RCI is saying now. I wanted this thread to be about what RCI is actually doing.

Oh, calm down. The fact is, no one can report on it until the cruises that started after Sep 1 return and the CC members come here to tell us. Until then, the only answers you will get are "what RCI told me." Just be patient. It's not that big of a deal.

There's probably 1000 pages of he said, she said and various interpretations. If that's what you want, add to that 1000 pages.

Let's see what RCI is doing on the ships from the CC's that experienced it.

Well, if you want to know what people are actually experiencing, your thread is a bit premature. Speculating is all anyone can do at the moment.:rolleyes:

The issue of charging for soft drinks at the Diamond event is beyond absurd! Who had the bright idea to charge for a soda, but include beer and wine? Yeah, that won't irritate loyal passengers who are justified in feeling peeved. Stupid, IMO.

I hope that's true. It's what I read several times over the past few months and it's how I interpreted the C&A page on the website.

beachchick

Yes. We have always gone back and forth between lounges when a DL satellite lounge is opened up on Radiance. And when a DL is opened on Enchantment, we have always stayed in the CL for the fun. The food is far superior in the CL on Radiance and we enjoy the coffee machine in the CL all day long. But the bartenders are also fun in the DL so we go there, too. Not to mention we have friends in both lounges and wouldn't like it if we couldn't hang out with them in whichever lounge they are in.

Actually, my call to the D+ desk was the second time I was given the same information. The first time I called for something else and asked bout the CL versus the DL, and taking cabinmates in with me. I was royally insulted and called a liar on THAT thread.

So, we basically wait to see the reports from returning cruisers now.

Oh, and OP, by "hijacking" your thread we are actually keeping it at the top of the first page so the returning D and D+ people can see it!! We're doing you a favor! :D

we are actually keeping it at the top of the first page so the returning D and D+ people can see it!! We're doing you a favor! :D

That I appreciate. I also note someone else started something similar but more general. Not just related to Freedom class.

That I appreciate. I also note someone else started something similar but more general. Not just related to Freedom class.

Yes I started another thread to hear what happens on all the different ships. But it just might get lost as it is sinking lower and lower down the page. :eek:

Since I'm going on the Freedom next week, this one of course is of interest right now.:D

Yes I started another thread to hear what happens on all the different ships. But it just might get lost as it is sinking lower and lower down the page. :eek:

Since I'm going on the Freedom next week, this one of course is of interest right now.:D

Go to the Roll Call for the week before your cruise, Freedom 8/6.

See if anyone mentioned if they planned to post from the ship.

We can't have you dying of curiosity on us! :eek: ;) :D

Actually, my call to the D+ desk was the second time I was given the same information. The first time I called for something else and asked bout the CL versus the DL, and taking cabinmates in with me. I was royally insulted and called a liar on THAT thread.

So, we basically wait to see the reports from returning cruisers now.

Oh, and OP, by "hijacking" your thread we are actually keeping it at the top of the first page so the returning D and D+ people can see it!! We're doing you a favor! :D

I do have an email in to a friend who has over 100 cruise credits and has cruised Freedom in the past. I simply asked her if she was permitted into the CL since they usually book D1s. I hope she answers soon.

I wasn't aware that D+ hadn't been permitted into the CL as others have stated here. Now that I know that might have always been the case, I won't be so disappointed if the DL is still being run the way it has been...with a full bar. If it's wine and champagne only in the DL now and no CL access it won't be worth it to me to pay the premium for the huge ships. In that case, I'll just stick with the cheap and "little" old Monarch out of Port Canaveral at the bargain prices.

Well..........DO send us a message from the ship and tell us about it. I'm on Freedom the week after you. Use up your free internet minutes on us. :D That is...if they are still giving minutes away in the new and improved coupon book. :p ;)

I know we're unlikely to find out until those who have returned from sailings that departed on or after Sept 1st but I also received an email from Adam Goldstein that states:

We are not planning to change our current approach to the operation of the Diamond Lounges on Freedom-class ships.

Best regards,

Adam

Adam M. Goldstein

President & CEO

Royal Caribbean International

(305) 539 6082

I know we're unlikely to find out until those who have returned from sailings that departed on or after Sept 1st but I also received an email from Adam Goldstein that states:

We are not planning to change our current approach to the operation of the Diamond Lounges on Freedom-class ships.

Best regards,

Adam

Adam M. Goldstein

President & CEO

Royal Caribbean International

(305) 539 6082

LOL...this is nice to know. Or is it? We could read between the words...We are not planning to change our current approach (but might change our minds) to the operation of the Diamond Lounges on Freedom-class ships. :eek:

I can tell you for sure that on Freedom of the Seas they DONOT let D plus folks into the CL. We cruised Freedom for the first sail out of Port Canaveral on May 4th and only suite passengers had access to the CL. Only diamond and diamond plus passengers where allowed in the Diamond Lounge. If your diamond plus and also a GS or above passenger you will have access to both the CL & DL.

Don't be upset if you can't use the CL......the diamond lounge is 100 times better. It's located where the Nineteenth Hole bar is on Voyager class ships, with access through the Viking Crown Lounge. The space is much larger than the CL and has floor to ceiling windows for a fabulous view....and comfy sofa's & chairs. The diamond Lounge also has tables & chairs, unlike the CL.

I also got a letter from the head guy.....:rolleyes: Welcoming me back on board and to let me know the great diamond/plus benefit of the dedicated Diamond Lounge on Freedom class ships will be the same as we have had in the past. NO CHANGES will be made to the way the Diamond Lounge is used after Sept. 1st.

Now I took that to mean we still get mixed drinks, beer, wine and champagne.....along with those great little nibbles!

Two weeks from today we plan to indulge.....:D

Well..........DO send us a message from the ship and tell us about it. I'm on Freedom the week after you. Use up your free internet minutes on us. :D That is...if they are still giving minutes away in the new and improved coupon book. :p ;)

Yes, they are! We just returned from a Monarch BTB. We got the new coupon books and the free internet coupons were still there.

I just copied this off of RCCL's web page:

Now we offer either the Diamond Lounge or a Diamond Event on every ship in our fleet. On ships with a Concierge Lounge, it will be limited to Diamond Plus and Suite guests.

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/cas/benefitsLoggedout.do;jsessionid=0000M6kUAn0zjbPTRX05_sDJ0Wx:12h3g0fq2

The page isn't specific about charging / free mixed drinks in the "real" Diamond Lounges, but Sandy at the D+ desk yesterday was very clear about it. We even went over the list of our family and who had which level of membership, and which lounge they could go into.

Oh, and she also said (because I asked about my son and his fiance) that ANYONE SHARING A CABIN WITH A DIAMOND OR DIAMOND PLUS MEMBER CAN ACCOMPANY THEM INTO THE LOUNGES. Both our sons are Diamonds, but the fiance is not.

So Peggy,

Let me get this straight. You are saying that Sandy (the Rep from RCI) told you that they were going to start charging for mixed drinks in the Diamond Lounge on the Independence?

Wow. Now that would really be news! Can't imagine that would go over very well with the Diamond folks.

Interesting. Goldstein is claiming there will be NO changes to the Freedom Class Diamond Lounges and this RCI Rep. is claiming there will be on Independence, at least.

I am very curious to see what is up with THAT!

Colleen

Archived