RCCI or Carnival with 11 teens?

We will be taking 11 girls betwwe 15-18 on a cruise next June. I want to make reservations soon. RCCI seems to have more for the girl to do but Carnival is cheeper. We want the girls to have fun, relax, keep out of trouble, and have a great time. Freedom of the Sea vs. Legends?

We just had this discussion recently on the Family Board. So if you want an unbiased opinion with balanced viewpoints from both Carnival and Royal Caribbean cruisers who cruise with kids, then check out this recent thread...

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1176678

The discussion was Freedom verses Dream -- and the original poster had to pay $500 more for Freedom. And she ended up choosing Freedom if that means anything. ;)

Just a reminder, there needs to be one adult age 25 and above in each cabin with the minors. Have a fantastic cruise. :D

I don't believe that is accurate. I've been able to book minors in their own cabin as long as they are close to (across or next to) a cabin with an adult. This seems to be a common misconception around cc.

I don't believe that is accurate. I've been able to book minors in their own cabin as long as they are close to (across or next to) a cabin with an adult. This seems to be a common misconception around cc.

I believe the rule came about to prevent two college kids, booking to have fun. Having a "real" adult, instead of a "young" adult, makes a difference. So a large group, booking several rooms, with many of the group kids, and not adults, and sharing rooms, would not fall under the "party till you drop" atmosphere that they are trying to stop!!!!

RCCL gets higher ratings by "teenagers" than Carnival, but either ship would be fun!

I was off on the min age. thank you for pointing that out. I can only guess that all of these minors are not related to the OP. (could be wrong lol) So if OP is all of the minors parent or legal guardian then I would guess they could book 5 cabins adjacent to OP??

From Royal Caribbeans site.

A: No guest under the age of twenty-one (21) will be reserved in a stateroom unless accompanied by an adult twenty-one (21) years of age, or older. This age limit will be waived for minor children sailing with their parents or guardians in adjacent staterooms or under-aged married couples (proof of marriage is required).

Here is the RCL age restrictions requirements:

Q: What is Royal Caribbean International's Age Policy?s.gifA: No guest under the age of twenty-one (21) will be reserved in a stateroom unless accompanied by an adult twenty-one (21) years of age, or older. This age limit will be waived for minor children sailing with their parents or guardians in adjacent staterooms or under-aged married couples (proof of marriage is required).

We have been on both the Mariner and the Dream and we had my 15 year old with us...I thought the activities were very similar and had fun on both...if the cruise is for the experience for the girls to hang out and cruise together I don't think it will matter what ship it is...I would go with the best price.

I was off on the min age. thank you for pointing that out. I can only guess that all of these minors are not related to the OP. (could be wrong lol) So if OP is all of the minors parent or legal guardian then I would guess they could book 5 cabins adjacent to OP??

From Royal Caribbeans site.

A: No guest under the age of twenty-one (21) will be reserved in a stateroom unless accompanied by an adult twenty-one (21) years of age, or older. This age limit will be waived for minor children sailing with their parents or guardians in adjacent staterooms or under-aged married couples (proof of marriage is required).

If you take a minor on a cruise, that is not your child, you have to have a notorized letter from the parents giving you permission to take the child on the cruise, this basically gives you guardianship of the minor, for the duraction of the cruise.

We will be taking 11 girls betwwe 15-18 on a cruise next June. I want to make reservations soon. RCCI seems to have more for the girl to do but Carnival is cheeper. We want the girls to have fun, relax, keep out of trouble, and have a great time. Freedom of the Sea vs. Legends?

Also be aware that the 18 y.o. might not be able to participate in organized youth activities with the younger girls. I've read some reviews that staff members did allow 18 year old kids to join the kids' programs and others that staff refused to budge on the age limit.

I think they would enjoy either..I also agree, check out the Voyager class RCI ships. (but, 11 girls?)

On one of our cruises (6/08) the table next to us was a SWEET 16- a table of all 16 year old-ish girls. The table next to them were their respective Mom's..

There is a big difference between the Carnival Legend and the Freedom of the Seas. Therefore, there should be a price difference. The Legend is an older ship. Go for the Freedom if you are allowed to book that many teens. Just make sure to have the appropriate amount of chaperons.

I'm thinking teen girls will enjoy any cruise they are on. :)
+1

Worry about what's best for the adults*... the kids will be fine.

* And if it's me, I'm worry about who has better drinks-of-the-day... gonna need something!

RCL's policy not a misconception. They look the other way once you are on board and start the cabin swap, but they do not want the reputation that still lingers with Carnival.

RCL's policy not a misconception. They look the other way once you are on board and start the cabin swap, but they do not want the reputation that still lingers with Carnival.

I was not talking about a cabin swap but booking the kids in their own cabin right from the reservation is made. The policy below states it can be done! No looking the other way required. Many TAs will tell you it can't and you need to do the cabin switch which is the misconception.

Here is the RCL age restrictions requirements:

Q: What is Royal Caribbean International's Age Policy?s.gifA: No guest under the age of twenty-one (21) will be reserved in a stateroom unless accompanied by an adult twenty-one (21) years of age, or older. This age limit will be waived for minor children sailing with their parents or guardians in adjacent staterooms or under-aged married couples (proof of marriage is required).

As was stated in a prior post, you need docs to show you are the guardian while on board. This allows for less than 1 adult per cabin if needed.

Although I have to agree, being on the ship with 11 girls :eek:. To the op just check out what you truly need. My family prefers RCI for teens, but I will bet that group would be happy on any ship.

You may need to decide soon, if you are planning on finding enough cabins for 4 if that is your plan. Good luck!

RC booked our 2 teen boys 16 and 17 next door to us. We're taking 2 of their teen friends with us (17 and 18 years old with a notorized letter from parents) RC booked them on the other side of us. So we're sandwiched. Have fun and "May the force be with you."

Thank you all for your information. We deided to RCCI. We had to ask 2 Moms to go on the cruise and they jumped on the chance. Girls are pretty mello but we expected to wear them out at WDW the week before. I'm signing us up tomorrow.

Archived