Jim and Ruth

ookpik

They have other things on their minds right now. Ruth was hospitalized with pneumonia on May 5, and they have cancelled their May 31 AK cruise. See this roll call:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=24335763&highlight=#post24335763

This was his last post, yesterday:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=24530466&highlight=#post24530466

They have other things on their minds right now. Ruth was hospitalized with pneumonia on May 5, and they have cancelled their May 31 AK cruise. See this roll call:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=24335763&highlight=#post24335763

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=24530466&highlight=#post24530466

Am so sorry,hadn't seen that.

Get well.All good thoughts.

They have other things on their minds right now. Ruth was hospitalized with pneumonia on May 5,

I'm so sorry to read this. Thanks for the info, John, and best wishes to them both.

Thanks for answering this in such a helpful - and graceful - manner.

I know people get genuinely concerned when someone from the community is "missing" and it's good to know they're OK ... of if they are in need of our thoughts and prayers and good wishes.

These queries are a tribute to those whose absence is noticed! :)

It should let them know the world feels a little bit empty without their presence!

Sorry you had to cancel your cruise, Jim. Here's hoping you can do this cruise next year. Hope Ruth is well on the way to recovery. I have a great picture of you, Jim, from last December, wearing your bunny slippers on the Prinsendam.

Ruth and I would like to thank all of you for your kind comments and well wishes.

To give you a quick run down:

She was not feeling well and was very weak for most of the Hawaii/Frech Polynesia cruise and refused to go to the doctor or the ER when we got home. She was a nurse and consequently is a real pain in the butt to deal with.

Back on the 5th (?) her oxygen saturation dropped to 69% here at the house and she refused to go to the ER even then. After a brief and rather nasty skirmish I packed her up in the SUV and forcibly took her to the ER. She was admitted with advanced pneumonia and placed on several very potent IV's. After about a weeks stay she was discharged and is at home now.

She has seen the infection disease doctor and they have put her on oral Vancomysin ($3000.00 script) and gave her some rather long lectures. She is still very weak and having a lot of problems getting around, even with the walker.

The advanced levels of antibiotics has caused her severe gastric distress and upset the normal flora of the GI tract and caused massive problems with diarrhea which she has to contend with until the C-Diff bacteria is all killed off.

She can ultimately say with all truth and sincerity that this whole experience has been a real pain in the butt!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We have her on physical theropy at home and I am force feeding her yogert, milk shakes, and a high protein diet to help her get her strength back with marginal success.

One of the big problems is that she is more forgetfull (not a blond problem) than before and that problem does not seem to be resolving itself.

We have appointments with doctors this afternoon, wednesday, and then thursday.

We trust that all will resolve itself in the near future and we will be back to our normal selves.

We have cancelled the cruise to Alaska (thank god for cruise insurance) but still have the November cruisae booked.

Thank all of you again for all of your kind comments, event though I bang heads with some of you on the board on a regular basis.

PS:

Ruth has quit smoking.

All the doctors in the hospital now have Mear Cat slippers to wear around the house......

Ruth & Jim

Jim

Ruth has a rough road ahead -- thankfully she has you to take care of you.

We know all too well the cost of medications -- some of Joe's are horrible -- so much for Security Blue.

Glad to hear that Ruth has quit smoking.

Hope you both will soon be cuising.

Yonnie

Jim and Ruth

We have never met you but we look forward to reading your posts and looking at your pictures. You are both wonderful people.

Pneumonia complicated by C-Diff. What a terrible thing to go through.

Add us to the long list of people who are praying for a full and rapid recovery for Ruth. Keep your chin up Jim and don't forget to take care of yourself during this stressful time.

Jane and Gary

Very sorry to hear about Ruth and hope she recovers quickly. Do have a question - does she still wear the tierra you got her on the HAL-o-Ween Dam Cruise? Hermon and I would love to cruise with you again.

Tell Ruth that she really does need to listen to you once in a while.

Best wishes for Ruth's speedy recovery. This will be the second cruise that you have had to cancel in less than a year. I remember you had to cancel the Eurodam repositioning cruise last fall. We were looking forward to meeting you on that cruise. Hopefully you will be able to make your next scheduled sailing.:)

Archived