Would you do or Have you done the same/similar cruise twice?

globalwife

We prefer to do different cruises each time. That is why we love Princess - they have wonderful itineraries to choose from. We have been to a lot of different places. I have been to Alaska twice, but on completely different cruises/places. Also did the Caribbean WAY :D back in 1987, so we are going there again next year. But the cruises are much different - a regular eastern vs a southern route.

Have to admit though, that we do go to some of the same cities over & over. Can't get enough of SF, NY, NO and Chicago. Always new things to do.

Isn't it nice that there are so many different choices for us all

When you get to 80+ cruises, you may find yourself repeating now and then. :D

I agree with the poster who said that the same cruise on the same ship is never the same.

Sometimes it is great for the ship to be the destination.

We're going to repeat on the Celebrity Summit for the first time but of the 5 ports 3 are new to us. We have cruised the caribbean many times but have always changed something, different itinerary, different cruise line or a new ship. I work with a woman who has done the same alaska trip three times now. Personally I think that's crazy..there is A LOT of world out there to see. But I come from a family where we never went to the same place twice.

I am looking forward to the April 2011 cruise on the Summit. We are actually traveling with a couple we met on the first Summit cruise December 2009.

Donna

DH and I took our first cruise in January and we loved it! We live in Colombia, South America so very few cruises leave from this area and it gets too expensive to take one out of other ports once you add in cost of visas, flights, etc. Plus we love that the cruise line that departs from here (Pullmantur) is all-inclusive (alcohol included). So here we are thinking about taking the cruise again next year. The ship is going to be the same and the route will be very similar but a tad different. Unfortunately, the differences are not very exciting. I guess the biggest difference might be that we are thinking to do it over Christmas, which is also DH's B-day. The price will be a tad lower this time too. Just wanted to hear from anyone that has repeated the same cruise or that has thought about it. Would you do it? What opinions do you have about it.

I am repeating the same cruise so I can take my husband this time. :D

This will be my 3rd time on the Norwegian Pearl. LOL The first time was the Western Caribbean, 2nd Alaska...3rd will be the same itinerary - Alaska.

You think they'll give me some perks for being a loyal Pearl customer? LOL

I have repeated the same cruise several times because I can drive to the port in a few hours and it is the only cruise ship there that is not carnival. I have though decided to broaden my choices and now am checking out some more ports. I traveled every week by airplane for several decades before I retired recently and if I never have to get into one of those silver tubes again I will be happy.

I sailed on the same ship two years in a row - Carnival Valor - but did the alternate itinerary the second year (Eastern versus Western).

I LOVE the southern Caribbean, so have sailed in that area a few times, with another cruise planned there in 2012. While I've been to some islands more than once, there are still new ones in that area that I have NEVER visited. I'll see Grenada for the very first time in 2012.

I've done the Cozumel/Grand Cayman western Caribbean combination too many times. I've decided I don't need to swim with the sting rays again any time soon.

My next cruise will be almost a repeat of my Carnival Valor western Caribbean itinerary, featuring Cozumel, Roatan and Belize. The cruise is in honor of my son's graduation and he really likes Cozumel and wanted a cruise with a lot of sea days, so we're doing Voyager of the Seas out of Galveston, TX. It's been years since I went to Belize or Roatan, so I don't mind repeating.

The thing about cruising is that you visit an island for only one day. If you enjoy the port, you really WANT to find a cruise that returns. The really popular ports end up appearing on MANY cruise itineraries. It's tough to cruise the western Caribbean without visiting either Cozumel or Grand Cayman. It's tough to cruise in the eastern or southern Caribbean without visiting either St. Thomas or St. Marten.

DH and I took our first cruise in January and we loved it! We live in Colombia, South America so very few cruises leave from this area and it gets too expensive to take one out of other ports once you add in cost of visas, flights, etc. Plus we love that the cruise line that departs from here (Pullmantur) is all-inclusive (alcohol included). So here we are thinking about taking the cruise again next year. The ship is going to be the same and the route will be very similar but a tad different. Unfortunately, the differences are not very exciting. I guess the biggest difference might be that we are thinking to do it over Christmas, which is also DH's B-day. The price will be a tad lower this time too. Just wanted to hear from anyone that has repeated the same cruise or that has thought about it. Would you do it? What opinions do you have about it.

DH and I repeated the same cruise for 4 (yep that is right "four") years in a row. We would most likely be still doing it, but the ship we loved (Celebrity Galaxy) was sold :( . Went on another ship in the southern caribbean, but it was not the same. If Galaxy were there I would do it in a heartbeat!

Go again and have a wonderful time.

I agree with the poster who said that the same cruise on the same ship is never the same.

WOW!! 80 cruises!! No - we haven't done nearly that many. I'm sure you've seen some of the same places more than once!!:)

Isn't that the truth?

When I walk on the Pearl for the 3rd time next June, it will almost feel like I'm coming "home" I LOVE that ship :D

The ship herself IS a large part -- I am looking forward to my third time on Noordam (trans-Atlantic in October) after two essentially identical Caribbean cruises in Jan '07 and Jan '08 -- sailing from NY to warm waters in January is worth repeating many times over -- hopefully HAL will resume winter sailings from New York.

We have sailed same ship-same route. Because we like the ship or we like the route or both.

Some of the ships are so large that it takes a whole cruise just to learn your way around, then when you go back it is time to explore a little deeper. To see what you missed or read about from another passenger.

The ship is my vacation, the ports are gravy and I enjoy being on the ship. Will be sailing on Freedom in august for the second time. I look forward to finding out more about this ship.

Just my opinion.

We have done multiple Alaska cruises and are booked on two Alaska cruises for 2011.

We are not fond of Caribbean cruises, in general, though we want to try the Solstice-class ships of Celebrity and realize that we will have to fly across the country in order to do it.

I would love to do another West Coast cruise going south and visiting mostly California ports, cruising round trip from San Francisco.

We've cruised Carnival Ecstasy several times and we just booked another 5-day for this August--same ship, same CD and entertainment, same ports of call. We have been to Coz so much we should own property there. We just got back from a wedding at an all-inclusive in Coz --had to fly down there and just watch the cruise ships go by from the beach for 4 days. Anyway, we're pumped and counting the days.

Here's hoping your next same cruise is another great one. Bon Voyage!

Hot, hot, hot is a MUST since I'm a transplanted Floridian, living in New Jersey. So naturally, the Caribbean is near and dear to my heart. Many cruises are similiar or with a different combo. Yes, I'd love to cruise to different Caribbean islands, but the itineraries are basically the same. BIG "however"... for 2011, I am researching a TA. Maybe, just maybe I can break the mold.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks everyone for your replies. They were very helpful. Just wanted to let you know we did decide to to book this one again. We are now resereved for our second cruise!!! :)

:D :D :D :D

Nothing wrong with doing the same (or similar) cruise multiple times! This is quite common. Some poeple might enjoy one ship, and choose to take it multiple times. Same goes for ports - many people continue visiting the same ports because they've enjoyed them so much in the past.

I just booked my 6th cruise on the Carnival Imagination. Its going to the same ports it went to every other time. Key West and Cozumel. I love the ship, I love the ports. Mostly the ship. I have never had a bad time onboard and love doing them solo in the fall.

Well, I'm not a seasoned cruiser (yet), although I've been cruising for 22 years, I've only taken 2 cruises so far and I'm leaving for my 3rd in September. I'm hoping to make this a yearly thing now.

Anyhow, I would not cruise the same itinerary or the same boat twice. But that's just me. I like to experience a different boat and different places each time. I've done 2 Caribbean cruises so far and my next is a Caribbean cruise, however, all have had different ports of call...and of course different boats. I plan on going back to the Caribbean to do another cruise, once again different ports of call that I've never been with and I will pick a different ship. Then hopefully I plan on doing some other area cruises (like a Hawaiian, Alaskan, European) some time in the future.

I just like to do new things, new places and so on. But that's just me. I know a lot of people that will go to the same places and even the same ship all the time. It's just a matter of preference. :D

i have cruised to alaska 4 times. 3 times on the same ship ( the carnival spirit ) and once on the norwegian pearl. both ships are favulous and i love alaska so much i know i will go back. the scenery, history and clean fresh air pull me back every time :).

We sailed on the CB last November to the Southern Caribbean. We enjoyed it so much that we cancelled our Eastern Caribbean cruise to go on the CB again with the same itinerary.

We really can't wait to go back to the islands and discover new things that we missed the first time around.

I've done the Mexican Riviera twice and it was nice because I always do different excursions when I'm in a port I've visited. Just like people complain that you don't spend enough time in each port on a cruise--well, this gives you a chance to see a different side of it. If I did those again, I would spend the day at the beach in Cabo and stay on the ship in Mazatlan and PV.

I have friends who say they don't want to do the Mediterranean again, but honestly, I'm going again with a different friend and will see some of the things I didn't have time/chance to see the first time. Won't be same old/same old to me at all. Will actually give me a chance to do the "I wish I'd had time to............." things.

For instance: First time, we didn't go up on the fortress wall in Dubrovnik (friend with bad legs). Can you believe we went Florence and didn't see the real Michaelangelo's David? Or where Galileo and Michaelangelo are entombed? Or the Leaning Tower of Pisa? Or Pompeii? Or ride a gondola in Venice? Or see St. Mark's Square in Venice? Did they really see it all? Or did we just get a taste of it?..........

This really depends. Many people do land vacations to Hawaii, Mexico, etc. repeatedly but would not care to do repat cruises. We just did our second to Alaska -- slightly different itinerary. We took different excursions and had a great time.

We just booked a repeat itinerary to the Caribbean (sorry -- just not my favorite area). . . just to try a new ship. I believe in giving areas a second chance.

Archived