Things to do in Civitavecchia Port?

lanikeekee

Hi everyone, I am sure this question has been asked before but here we go again.

Our ship is doing back to back 10 day tours with it doing the change over in Civitavecchia, as we are staying in Rome at the beginning and end of our cruise I don't want to go there on our stopover in the middle of the cruise.

I now ask what is the port like, can you have a nice wander around or is it ghastly...or does anyone know of a wine tour from the port? Thanks again and I will look forward to your replies:D

From memory, the two times I've been on cruises that docked there, it's relatively industrial. There's nothing too much around; not within sight anyways. I am not sure if there are any tour options nearby, but there's definitely nothing to see or do in the immediate vicinity really.

The port has gotten better with each passing year. You can either walk from the ship to the front entrance or take the shuttle bus between the ship and front entrance. From there you just walk into town. There are several streets of stores and restaurants, a very large outdoor market that many of the locals shop at. There is a very nice church, and you can also take the walk over to the train station along the beach area which is about 15 minutes from the entrance. We were just there this past April and have been there numerous times. Normally we go to other areas but in April we just enjoyed the town and it was perfectly fine.

Keith

From memory, the two times I've been on cruises that docked there, it's relatively industrial. There's nothing too much around; not within sight anyways. I am not sure if there are any tour options nearby, but there's definitely nothing to see or do in the immediate vicinity really.

I think you may be confusing it with Livorno. As Keith 1010 said, Civitavecchia is quite a nice little town to stroll around and explore if you don't want to venture far. Also, it will be a lovely opportunity to have the ship to yourself. That's what we intend to do when we're in Civ in a couple of weeks, having spent several days in Rome previously

Edited by Bobal

I think you may be confusing it with Livorno. As Keith 1010 said, Civitavecchia is quite a nice little town to stroll around and explore if you don't want to venture far. Also, it will be a lovely opportunity to have the ship to yourself. That's what we intend to do when we're in Civ in a couple of weeks, having spent several days in Rome previously

Nope, not confusing it with Livorno. I just don't recall there being much around. Granted each time it was quite early and I was making my way (sleepily) to the tour bus to head into Rome for the day. I could have easily not been paying much attention (yet).

The port has gotten better with each passing year. You can either walk from the ship to the front entrance or take the shuttle bus between the ship and front entrance. From there you just walk into town. There are several streets of stores and restaurants, a very large outdoor market that many of the locals shop at. There is a very nice church, and you can also take the walk over to the train station along the beach area which is about 15 minutes from the entrance. We were just there this past April and have been there numerous times. Normally we go to other areas but in April we just enjoyed the town and it was perfectly fine.

Keith

Thanks this sounds lovely as we really don't want a lot to do just somewhere to wander and then I am sure we will head back to the boat to relax:D

We also did not want to go into Rome, as we had been there several days before our cruise. One time we walked to the train station (10 minutes) and found a local bus that did a BIG circle route through the neighborhoods, high up into the hills, and then returned to the train station. A very fun "tour" riding with the locals, and only 1 Euro each. You can also take a bus to the very pleasant walled city of Taormina, about 20 minues away. Nice place to stroll and have lunch. OR just stroll through Civitavecchia, stopping for gelatos along the way. We found all of these enjoyable on different days. Enjoy.

We also did not want to go into Rome, as we had been there several days before our cruise. One time we walked to the train station (10 minutes) and found a local bus that did a BIG circle route through the neighborhoods, high up into the hills, and then returned to the train station. A very fun "tour" riding with the locals, and only 1 Euro each. You can also take a bus to the very pleasant walled city of Taormina, about 20 minues away. Nice place to stroll and have lunch. OR just stroll through Civitavecchia, stopping for gelatos along the way. We found all of these enjoyable on different days. Enjoy.

Thanks Don and susan, I like the idea of the bus around the town with the locals it is just fun to watch people;):)

• 9 years later...
On 7/17/2010 at 3:43 PM, teacherman said:

You can also take a bus to the very pleasant walled city of Taormina, about 20 minues away. Nice place to stroll and have lunch. OR just stroll through Civitavecchia, stopping for gelatos along the way. We found all of these enjoyable on different days. Enjoy.

I believe you may mean Tarquinia; Taormina is in Sicily. 

Tarquinia is a lovely town and well worth a visit. They have an outstanding museum with artifacts from the Etruscan era, including one of the finest Etruscan sculptures still existing. Close by (and reachable by a bus that departs from near the museum) is the Etruscan necropolis with painted tombs -- absolutely stunning!  

https://www.timetravelturtle.com/etruscan-tombs-tarquinia-italy/

Count me as another who isn't a huge fan of Civitavecchia.  It's a very average, not particularly charming Italian port city. With so many other places to go (not even counting Rome) from this port, I would not advise staying in town. (e.g., Tarquinia, Orvieto, Ostia Antica, Anzio if you like WWII sites, Lake Bracciano....)

Well, Civitavecchia's secet #1 is the Gelateria "Armonia e Poesia" (Harmony & Poetry Ice Cream Parlor), located very close the the central train station. Via Bramante, 48, 00053 Civitavecchia RM. These ice cream artists have one the award "best ice cream in the world" - and being there, you won't like to leave (all day long!). Forget the stuff you find in super markets, promised!

Via Bramante, 48, 00053 Civitavecchia RM

image.thumb.png.75f9fdd0d930a825d33e058a8b75f60c.png

Just off the ship there a few weeks ago. Take the free bus from the ship to the entrance to the port. Buy a ticket there for the bus to the train station. Just a few Euros if I recall. About 5-10 minutes to the train station.

Very easy, have done that many times. 

Mirage

• 1 month later...

I agree with Keith (and some of the others) that Livorno has really improved its image in the last few years.  There is a pretty nice promenade area (along the sea) just outside the port (if you walk out the old entrance by the Fort).  You can also use the free shuttle bus to get you to Largo della Pace and start your walk from that location or use the low cost shuttle to the train station and use that as a starting point.  Civitavecchia does have some half decent restaurants/cafes, a few shops worth browsing, and most important it even has a McDonalds and a few places with OK gelato (what more can anyone want).  We will again be in Civitavecchia in a couple of weeks, so if you have any specific question that nobody can answer we might be able to find you an up to date answer.

To answer another post, taxis and private transfers (those that are recognized by port security) can get directly to the piers.  Those of us with rental cars cannot drive into the port (ironically, this is not a problem at Livorno).  

There are also quite a few day trip options if you prefer to leave Civitavecchia.  The ruins at Ostia Antica (near FCO) are quite impressive and worthy of a 2-3 hour visit.   There are also a few seaside/resort towns in the area that can be nice for a few hours at a beach and perhaps a nice lunch.  If you get a rental car for the day (an easy way to get to Ostia) you could also drive as far as Orvieto which is a pretty nice hill town with a few nice places for lunch.

Hank

We were in civitevecchia last week. Took the free shuttle from the ship (half hour wait due to lack of buses and several ships in port) to a large car park at the edge if the town. There were a few taxis near the ship and some people were taking these into town rather than wait.  There were taxis waiting at the car park offering trips to Rome and Tarquina. There were also toilets.

We walked through the town and enjoyed it, it's a real working town and quite busy. There are shops and cafes and a cathedral to visit. Some very nice shoe shops.  We carried on walking down to the sea front and walked as far as we could along the promenade stopping at a cafe. Had a very pleasant day and found our way back to the bus park for the shuttle.

It is easy to visit Tarquinia, bus takes you there in about half an hour. The museum and tombs are outstanding.  This year we did a private tour with Rome cabs to the beautiful castle on Lake Bracciano, the amazing Etruscan tombs in Cerveteri followed by a delicious  lunch in Ceri.   We really enjoyed this low key day.  Other times we have rented a car and visited Orbetello, Tuscania and Viterbo.  Highly recommend the Villa Farnese near Viterbo and the gardens Bomarzo.

Edited by bennybear

Earlier this month we took a ship's tour from Civitavecchia to Tarquinia and Tuscania, then walked around Civitavecchia on our own.  Here's a review of the day with lots of pictures:

https://jazzbeauxmediterraneancruise2019.wordpress.com/2019/10/22/wednesday-october-2-2019-tarquinia-tuscania-civitavecchia/