*Info for anyone who bought a Michael Godard painting during a Princess art auction.*

drumline13

Just an FYI......Since this thread was started over a year ago and "drumline13" hasn't posted on CC since October 21.2010, you may not get an answer. However, you may just want to go back to the original post and write directly to any of the specific companies they had listed and see if you can be helped that way.

I sent an email to Princess and one day later we were contacted by Global Arts with instructions on what to do.

Fortunately, we had saved a box from one of our many art purchases and the print fit! FedEx will be picking it up tomorrow (paid for by Global Arts).

While it is an inconvenience, at least Princess and Global Arts are handling things pretty well. I feel we should have been contacted about it directly, but this is the second best way to deal with it...

I sent an email to Princess and one day later we were contacted by Global Arts with instructions on what to do.

Fortunately, we had saved a box from one of our many art purchases and the print fit! FedEx will be picking it up tomorrow (paid for by Global Arts).

While it is an inconvenience, at least Princess and Global Arts are handling things pretty well. I feel we should have been contacted about it directly, but this is the second best way to deal with it...

I am glad everything worked out for you.:)

Joe

• 2 years later...
  • 3 years later...

We had purchased four Godard's pictures from Princess cruise back in 2005, Thank you for the information, we will need to look at our pictures and certificates to see where and if any problems are with them.:)

We had purchased four Godard's pictures from Princess cruise back in 2005, Thank you for the information, we will need to look at our pictures and certificates to see where and if any problems are with them.:)

Welcome to cruise critic. One thing you might want to watch is posting on old inactive threads. This one dates back to 2011 as even the 2013 posts simply commented on it's inactivity. If you want to push a subject forward you may just want to start a new thread.

Edited by wheezedr
Spell check

Wow,,,,we bought a lot of art from Princess. 3 of our Wylands, geechles (spelling?) have cracks. Wonder if Princess will do anything, it is past 1 year. Others are fine. Who should we talk with at Princess

Hi everyone,

If you are reading this and you purchased a Michael Godard painting on a Princess ship, you may find this very helpful. I learned the following over the last few days after talking with a few Michael Godard Fine Arts employees...

Prior to January 2008, Godard Fine Arts used a printing company called "Harvest" to print the Godard paintings. It was later discovered that Harvest used a paint that expanded/contracted (with weather changes) at a different rate than the canvas on which it was printed. After 2 years, many of the Godard paintings began to crack, mostly around the edges. I was told that Godard Fine Arts estimated that this happened to approximately 30% of their paintings. The Godard store in Atlantic City actually had to close for a little while in order to replace all of their cracking paintings. Godard Fine Arts considered a lawsuit against Harvest.

Around January 2008, Godard Fine Arts switched printing companies, and apparently these newer paintings don't have the cracking problem. The problem with the Harvest printing company is very well known....both by Godard Fine Arts, and the Princess Art company (Global Fine Arts).

I own a Godard which I purchased on a ship in October 2007. A few months ago, I counted 65 cracks near the outside edge of the canvas. I mentioned this to Godard Fine Arts, and they told me that Princess was aware of the issue, and that Princess gave refunds to some people who purchased the older Godards (in addition, Godard Fine Arts is issuing refunds to anyone who bought these paintings directly through them).

I contacted Princess yesterday, and they requested that I send them photos of the cracks in the painting. I am currently awaiting their response.

So, if you have a Michael Godard painting that was printed before January 2008, you may want to examine the painting for cracks. I know how angry I was when I discovered the cracks, so I'm hoping this information may help someone else.

*As a note, the cracking problem has nothing to do with Princess. The problem is directly related to the paintings themselves. Godard paintings purchased directly from Godard Fine Arts had the exact same problem.*

*If you are curious as to whether your Godard painting were printed by Harvest, look on the letter of authenticity. The printing company is listed on the letter.*

I love how the phrase "painting" is used in this post. It was never a painting, but a print made off an original. Buying "artwork"( I use this term loosely)on a cruise ship is a foolhardy proposition at best! DON'T waste your money!

Welcome to cruise critic. One thing you might want to watch is posting on old inactive threads. This one dates back to 2011 as even the 2013 posts simply commented on it's inactivity. If you want to push a subject forward you may just want to start a new thread.

And had they done so, bet your bottom dollar someone would have said "Search... don't start a new thread" strewth it's hard to please people around here.

I love how the phrase "painting" is used in this post. It was never a painting, but a print made off an original. Buying "artwork"( I use this term loosely)on a cruise ship is a foolhardy proposition at best! DON'T waste your money!

Not necessarily so. We bought an original oil painting some time back when it was still Global Fine Arts. Great value at the time. It was recently appraised and has nicely increased in worth...

• 1 month later...

Pretty late to this thread but my story help someone out there.

Met MG in Vegas at a Oh My Godard store. I had taken my Money Laundering print with the intention of getting signature on the back side of the print.

Anyway, when our turn came MG and his wife pointed out the little cracks and offered to do another one for me with same same number. We told them we didnt really think it was that bad and maybe he could just paint some clouds or something over the affected area.

I guess that impressed him because he put my print on his easel and for the next 1/2 hour went to town on it. Totally transforming the piece.

He added a cityscape, more cash, broken martini glass, streetlights, stars just a ton of new imagery.

Had to make the pictures kind of small, I also had hime trace his hand and sign it.

1463851338_moneylaunderingsmall.jpg.15ce2812d79ea4c6ff1dbf8f5a0eec12.jpg

1798591251_godardtrace2small.jpg.fb25372fe449608d99b4b53413bef45e.jpg

Pretty late to this thread but my story help someone out there.

Met MG in Vegas at a Oh My Godard store. I had taken my Money Laundering print with the intention of getting signature on the back side of the print.

Anyway, when our turn came MG and his wife pointed out the little cracks and offered to do another one for me with same same number. We told them we didnt really think it was that bad and maybe he could just paint some clouds or something over the affected area.

I guess that impressed him because he put my print on his easel and for the next 1/2 hour went to town on it. Totally transforming the piece.

He added a cityscape, more cash, broken martini glass, streetlights, stars just a ton of new imagery.

Had to make the pictures kind of small, I also had hime trace his hand and sign it.

Love what he did with your print. We met Michael and his wife at a trunk show in Folsom, CA. They are such nice people. We purchased a giclee from him and he was kind enough to sign the back for us.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
I have a giclee from Michael Godard from a princess cruise and need help on finding out how to have it replaced or refunded. We have numerous cracks in the giclee.

If you bought it when Princess ran their own fine arts program, I would give Princess a call.

If you bought it after Park West took over the art auctions, give Park West a call.

• 5 months later...

I have a prints with SO many cracks which I never noticed since it’s always hung high on the wall! That’s until I found this !!! Thank you! I emailed Godard via the website and I’ll be calling tomorrow. I am SO sad! It’s signed 27/995 Strike it Rich and I had it sent to Vegas Nd he signed the back at a show store opening ! :(

Not only that, but replacement "paintings" are being sent to people exactly the same including the same numbering. As an art school graduate with a degree in fine art (Printmaking and Ceramis) this gives me a headache.

Not even a legit limited edition print. Signed posters. Buyer beware.

Nice to know that someone else may benefit from my info! Hope your painting isn't having any problems. I was in the Atlantic City shop the other day, and I mentioned the "cracks" in my painting to the salesperson....hoping he could tell me what I could do to repair it. He explained the entire issue to me, and I verified it all with Godard's sales manager.

If anyone else finds my info helpful, please add a note to this board to let me know!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

• 4 months later...

Just FYI, I had a couple of MG hand embellished giclees from the early 2000s, purchased on princess. Met MG on a cruise in 2017 and asked him about the cracks. He said to call his place in Vegas and they’ll take care of me.

I called, and a very nice lady said they’ll make new ones, same edition, and same embellishments. Since I live in Vegas, I drove them over. Couple of weeks later, I have exact replacements done. I think it cost me $80 or so to get it done. MG and his staff are good peeps. The art is better than the originals, my opinion.

Oh, when I dropped them off, there were other folks who were sending in their cracked work. They just tore them out of the stretchers, folded them up and Fedex’ed them. The nice lady at the front desk showed me a couple of them. 2 things there: 1. You submit proof of ownership by sending the damaged one back, and 2. They will match the number of colors of, and the amount of embellishments, so you get just about the exact same artwork back.

That’s one heck of a warranty if you ask me.

Just FYI, I had a couple of MG hand embellished giclees from the early 2000s, purchased on princess. Met MG on a cruise in 2017 and asked him about the cracks. He said to call his place in Vegas and they’ll take care of me.

I called, and a very nice lady said they’ll make new ones, same edition, and same embellishments. Since I live in Vegas, I drove them over. Couple of weeks later, I have exact replacements done. I think it cost me $80 or so to get it done. MG and his staff are good peeps. The art is better than the originals, my opinion.

Oh, when I dropped them off, there were other folks who were sending in their cracked work. They just tore them out of the stretchers, folded them up and Fedex’ed them. The nice lady at the front desk showed me a couple of them. 2 things there: 1. You submit proof of ownership by sending the damaged one back, and 2. They will match the number of colors of, and the amount of embellishments, so you get just about the exact same artwork back.

That’s one heck of a warranty if you ask me.

It is a good warranty, for a piece of crap! I mean really. It's not even an original. All it is, is a print with a few lame brush strokes that anyone can put on it. It's like that garbage Kinkade used to do. A print, laminated maybe a brush stroke or 2 from an unknown person & you get charged big $$. What's the phrase..A fool & his money....