soooo, Crocs or no Crocs?

CalTex88

I hear people say that crocs are comfortable or help their problem feet & to me it's surprising. From the looks of them I would think they provide zero structural support; they "give" & I don't see how it could support an arch or prevent pronation.

You can't judge a croc by it's cover. Seriously, you can't judge how supportive and comfortable they are until you've worn them. They're addictive once you have. But unless you try them you'll never know.

You can't judge a croc by it's cover. Seriously, you can't judge how supportive and comfortable they are until you've worn them. They're addictive once you have. But unless you try them you'll never know.

I'll take your word for it, they may be way better structurally than they appear. :) I had a pretty major tendon repair / foot reconstruction done, & I'm supposed to wear othotics, although orthopod said my danskos are ok (steel plate in the sole!). I will wear other shoes too, maybe one day I'll give those crocs a try.

I'll take your word for it, they may be way better structurally than they appear. :) I had a pretty major tendon repair / foot reconstruction done, & I'm supposed to wear othotics, although orthopod said my danskos are ok (steel plate in the sole!). I will wear other shoes too, maybe one day I'll give those crocs a try.

I was surprised myself. My first pair were a gift. And I only wore them to be nice and then found I loved them.

I am shocked at the alarm being posted here about crocs being unsafe. On another thread under cruise fashions the "special ed" crowd is telling everyone that if it were not for crocs special ed kids would not be able to stand up. They are the savior of special ed kids. Who would have ever known. You learn so much reading these threads from folks living in places one might never venture into but they are out there and they are now cruising the mass market lines.

So apparently you live in a town that bars mentally &/or physically challenged children; therefore, I will attempt to enlighten you. Crocs, & other slip on type shoes are great for kids who struggle with laces. It gives them a great feeling of accomplishment to be able to put on & take off their shoes with the same ease that "regular ed" kids do. Your complete lack of human compassion for those less fortunate than yourself absolutely astounds me.

Yes Crocs are ugly!!! Yes I wear them!!! do they support my feet yes they do no matter what others say!!! I have plantar fisciitis and they are wonderful for that maybe not for some people but they help me. I find myself leaving the house and only finding out that I wore my Crocs forgetting to change them. They are so comfortable thats the problem. so say what you want I'm not giving up my Crocs for anybody or anything!! I only have 4 pairs and I usually don't bring them on the cruise they are just for my house wear and yard work most of the time. I did wear them to work and I got my boss to admit that they were ugly so if I wear them to work its with jeans not shorts!!!:p

I am shocked at the alarm being posted here about crocs being unsafe. On another thread under cruise fashions the "special ed" crowd is telling everyone that if it were not for crocs special ed kids would not be able to stand up. They are the savior of special ed kids. Who would have ever known. You learn so much reading these threads from folks living in places one might never venture into but they are out there and they are now cruising the mass market lines.

Sometimes you just have to ignore idiotic statements and not allow them to affect you. I think the people on the other thread were reprimanded by enough posters already. It was a crass and rude thing to write.

BTW, I work with special needs kids, our school has quite a few special needs classes on campus, probably many more than average. And I rarely, if ever, notice any of them wearing crocs.

So apparently you live in a town that bars mentally &/or physically challenged children; therefore, I will attempt to enlighten you. Crocs, & other slip on type shoes are great for kids who struggle with laces. It gives them a great feeling of accomplishment to be able to put on & take off their shoes with the same ease that "regular ed" kids do. Your complete lack of human compassion for those less fortunate than yourself absolutely astounds me.

Actually I live in a town that has a very low drug and tobacco useage, and level of obesity among adults of productive age therefore we seem to have fewer than the norm of special needs children in the school system. Therefore, I see few if any children wearing crocs or any other type of space shoe.

I will grant you that there are special needs children and adults that require braces and special footwear just not in the quantity being posted on the other board.

Actually I live in a town that has a very low drug and tobacco useage, and level of obesity among adults of productive age therefore we seem to have fewer than the norm of special needs children in the school system. Therefore, I see few if any children wearing crocs or any other type of space shoe.

Wow.....:eek: I'm speechless and I'm going to hope to God that you meant that in a different way then you said it.

I think when people hear the word Crocs they think of the clogs. But Crocs has sooo many different shop/boot/flip flop options available. I think there are quite a few that are very cute and dressy enough to go to MDR. If only my feet were a little smaller!! I have to buy men's sizes so only have the clogs, flip flops and winter boots. They are all extremely comfortable! The first time I read of the them the poster said they are about the ugliest shoes you'll see but can't be beat for comfort. And I agree with that. In a recent article about the dangers of flip flops to your feet, crocs were one of the 3 recommended brands to wear. That said, I'll be bringing my croc flops (along w/ my reef bottle opener flip flops for just in case onland ;))!

• 1 month later...

Has anyone worn their Crocs for hiking/swimming excursions? I was thinking of wearing my Crocs Maryjanes to an excursion that will be 5-6 hours long including a little bit of hiking to a river/waterfall area so I'll be on both land and in the water. Are the crocs safe to walk on the underwater rocks? I also own an old pair of aquasocks that I could wear, but I think they may give me blisters after 5+ hours of walking, and I think the crocs might be better for the hiking time. Any suggestions?

Oh, ye of little faith! I can remember going into our local "upscale-we-only-sell-the-best" University store (Kinnukans) in 2006, and they couldn't keep Crocs on the shelf! Long lines clamoring to buy! Wal-Mart and K-Mart offered knock-offs, and every time I visited my PCP, the only difference I saw among staff/nurses/Doctors was the color of the Crocs! I still wear my black Crocs when re-filling my bird feeders and walking Doggie Dearest with poop bags. Totally comfortable! However, the very BEST shoes I've ever bought were Sperry Top-Siders, and my two pair have lasted for eleven years. The ONE shoe I will continue to bring on any cruise or beach trip is a very ugly pair of VOIT beach shoes purchased from Target in about 1990. I have worn them on many beaches (they saved my feet on Shell Beach in St. Bart's). I'm beyond fashion at this point in my life!

Has anyone worn their Crocs for hiking/swimming excursions? I was thinking of wearing my Crocs Maryjanes to an excursion that will be 5-6 hours long including a little bit of hiking to a river/waterfall area so I'll be on both land and in the water. Are the crocs safe to walk on the underwater rocks? I also own an old pair of aquasocks that I could wear, but I think they may give me blisters after 5+ hours of walking, and I think the crocs might be better for the hiking time. Any suggestions?

Depends on what "hiking" means. They aren't ideal if you are covering rough terrain and I'd be very careful using them on underwater rocks. The soles can get very slick, especially on slimey or uneven surfaces. My beloved has feet the shape and size of small boats and so Crocs are the only things that fit but they are most definitely "slippery when wet" ;)

i wore mine hiking in the Costa Rican Rain Forest...fairly easy hike you just had to be careful walking--i couldnt get my hikers on cos my feet were to swollen so it was crocs or flip-flops...i love mine but wouldnt wear them in the water walking on rocks to easy to slip...get a different type of water sandal they make so many.

I would not want to hike in my Crocs. They're great for walking around a bit, but not as comfortable over small rocks and roots and such. I generally just use mine around the ship and switch over to tennis shoes for walking in ports. The exception is that I'll keep the Crocs on when I know we're just heading to the beach in a cab. I also bring along some kayaking shoes for whenever there's going to be sharp objects in the water. But I managed to climb Dunns River Falls barefooted.

I wear Crocs all the time & will continue to do so! (The ugly clogs with the holes) I have a rainbow of colors to co-ordinate with my clothes. I can walk in them all day without getting a back ache. I can't say that about any other shoe or sneaker I've tried.................. Yes, the clogs are ugly but they weigh almost nothing which helps with luggage weight & at the airport they're easy to got on & off.

I'm of an age that I care more about comfort & practicality than looks. Maybe if I hadn't been a slave to fashion when I was younger, my feet & back would be in better shape & I wouldn't need the Crocs!! I see the young ones strutting around in their 4" heels making faces at my Crocs & have to laugh. I was them 30 years ago................ their day will come.

I am 28 and have a decent sense of fashion, but I value comfort and being practical over fashion! If someone thinks my feet look ugly for wearing crocs, that's their problem! I do plan to bring my silver ballet flat sling backs (prima) to wear to dinner on the non-formal nights (I think they look cute with my casual dresses!), but I was just cruious about the safety of the mary jane style crocs on water excursions. Based on your answers about the slippery rocks, I think I'll just stick with my aqua socks (and hopefully they'll be good enough for the minimal hiking I have to do on that same excursion!) Thanks for the help :)

Archived