Silly question - embarkation times

sparklplenty

Mom and I are going on the Rotterdam, Seattle to Alaska, on August 14 (10 days, I can barely wait!!!). This will be my first cruise, and I've got a somewhat obvious question to ask all you experienced HAL cruisers. What is the best time to board?

About a month ago, I read on a thread I can no longer find:) of someone recommending boarding as early as possible and disembarking as late as possible. We live in Seattle, so catching a plane isn't an issue. The whole early/late thing sounds like a great idea to me for a variety of reasons:

1. Fewer crowds - Mom's a little gimpy from recent knee replacement; Me, I don't mind missing the crowds.

2. Extending as the cruise as much as possible.

3. Giving folks who DO have a connection two fewer people to knudge past;)

Given all that, what are your thoughts? And if the early/late option is a good idea IYO, what times would you recommend?

Many thanks in advance for any and all responses.

When check-in/boarding first starts, there's usually a pretty large-size crowd who all want to be the first to board.

If I were you, concerned about Mom's walking, I would plan to board later---maybe around 1:00. By then the crowds have dispursed somewhat. And, by the time you get up to the Lido Deck, the cabins will almost be ready. That means the early boarders will leave the Lido restaurant area, so Mom can more easily be seated.

Or, are you planning to have her board in a wheelchair? Typically, wheelchair passengers have their own check-in line, and are driven all the way to the Lido. If that's the case, then the crowds won't matter quite so much.

Disembarking as late as possible is good advice. By the time you get down to the terminal, there won't be so much luggage to search through!

Have a wonderful time with your Mom. You will love Alaska, and cruising.

I concur with Ruth's advice. We've always been there early to get on board quickly. Next month, however, we will wait until about 1:00 for the reasons Ruth stated. We want to spend the morning looking around in the embarkation port.

Thanks for the advice, everyone! And for the specific times to board and unboard;)

Ruth, it is hard for me to question your advice in any way since my name is also Ruth. We "Ruth"s are few and far between, and have to stick together:)

As for the wheelchair, I suggested to Mom about the wheelchair, but she feels she'll be up for walking on. I sense it's a bit of a personal challenge/triumph for her, so I'm not going to insist.

Also, I forgot to mention that we're in an S-category cabin. Will that make any difference in embarking?

(snipped)

Also, I forgot to mention that we're in an S-category cabin. Will that make any difference in embarking?

Absolutely it makes a difference. An "S" category cabin on the Rotterdam is a Deluxe Verandah Suite and you will have priority boarding! And - you will have an abundance of other suite amenities including free laundry/dry cleaning throughout the cruise and use of the fabulous Neptune Lounge.

You will now be spoiled forever! Enjoy!!!!

<snip>

Yes you will have Priority Boarding with a separate check in line that is usually much faster. You can also head right up to the Neptune Lounge and drop off your carry ons. :D

Staying in an "S" Cabin also allows you to pick when you wish to disembark. You can ask for last disembarkation number. HAL permits guests to remain in their cabins until they disembark. Not all cruise lines permit that. As "S" guests, you also could wait to disembark in Neptune Lounge if you wish. There is always continental breakfast with coffee, cereals, fruit, pastries etc

Thanks for the advice, everyone! And for the specific times to board and unboard;)

Ruth, it is hard for me to question your advice in any way since my name is also Ruth. We "Ruth"s are few and far between, and have to stick together:)

As for the wheelchair, I suggested to Mom about the wheelchair, but she feels she'll be up for walking on. I sense it's a bit of a personal challenge/triumph for her, so I'm not going to insist.

Enjoy Alaska on a great ship, Sparklplenty! You and your Mum have one awesome time :)

Wonderful! Then we shall plan on getting there towards the early end, drop off our carry-ons in the Neptune, and go exploring! I'm so excited to look around the ship I can barely stand it. (DH has been observing my glee with a knowing smile. He cruised a bjillion times before we got married, so he's more than happy to let us girls have this special time together.)

Sail, thanks for tip about requesting a late disembarking number and staying in the cabin.

Having been on the Rotterdam a few weeks ago I can make some comments. First of all I got off with the last group and our disembarkation time was 9:15-9:30, so you will not be staying on until 10:00 although I would understand why you might like to stay on. As the Sign at Half Moon Cay says "I wish I could stay here forever." You might feel that way about the Rotterdam.

I would subscribe the the 1:00 arrival time to avoid the log jam of people. Now I went as crew--I was the Chaplain--and I got on a different way and got on around 11:15 or so. My point is that it was announced that the rooms were ready around noon as PAX were just embarking. Now the Rotterdam does ask all to vacate their rooms by 8:00 AM on disembarkation day.

Most of all, have a great cruise. If you liked the Rotterdam half as much as I did you will say it was a great week. Bon voyage!

We always drop off our carry-ons in the Neptune Lounge before we got for lunch -- just make certain that they are locked.

As for disembarkation -- even though you may ask for the later time to get off the ship -- we always do -- you will find that your instructions that you get at the end of the cruise will indicate that you can leave the ship as early as 8:15 -- ignore that and go when you are ready.

Also -- usually the Neptune Lounge will open early on the last morning of the cruise -- and stop serving food between 8:30 and 9 as they have to get cleaned up and ready for the next passengers.

Sitka is your only tender port. If you are not taking a tour here -- as a Deluxe suite passenger you can go down to the tender area and board a tender any time you want to -- just get in line and show your ship's ID card. No need to go to a lounge to pick up a tender number.

No need to go to a lounge to pick up a tender number.

KK and other HAL experts -

We are first timers on HAL, and do not have an "S" cabin.

We will be on the Noordam next week, and will tender in 2 ports.

We have private excursions planned at both ports and will need to get off the ship as quickly as possible to meet our tour guide.

I thought we could just get to the boarding area early and hope to get on one of the first tenders.

Will we need to go to a lounge first for a ticket and then get in line for the tenders? Can you please tell me more about the tender procedure?

THANKS

Will we need to go to a lounge first for a ticket and then get in line for the tenders? Can you please tell me more about the tender procedure?

At least until the demand for tender service lessens, that's exactly what you'll have to do. After most passengers have left the ship, it goes to "open tender", which means you head straight to the tender boarding area.

Passengers on HAL shore excursions are assigned a meeting place, and go to the tenders as a group. When tenders are available for others, they are allowed to go based on an effective "waiting in line".

Passengers not on a HAL tour go to a different meeting place (usually the show lounge), and get a tender ticket. That sets your place "in line". When your tender number is called, you may proceed down. There's too little space at the tender boarding area for everyone to be jammed up there. It would be a disaster waiting to happen.

If you need/want an early tender, then you need to go the the meeting lounge as early as possible to get an early number.

We always drop off our carry-ons in the Neptune Lounge before we got for lunch -- just make certain that they are locked.

Pretty much our typical routine. Frequently, though not every time, our cabin has actually been ready and we've been able to leave our carry-on in our cabin. We don't rush to the terminal in the morning. Mrs. K is not an early riser unless it's a work day. No way, no how am I going to get her up at the "crack of dawn" to go to the terminal. In fact, we often book one of the hotels, especially in Fort Lauderdale, where we can see the cruise terminal. More than once Mrs. K has finally gotten up to find me sitting on the balcony looking through the binoculars at the ship. I'd say the earliest we've ever arrived was 11 AM and more typically we get to the terminal between noon and 1 PM. With us getting there that late chances are that our cabin will be ready but we always ask if they're done with the cabin. We won't leave our stuff in there if they're still in the process of cleaning or making the room fully ready for us.

Thanks for all the tips, especially the one about getting aboard the tenders. We're going not making any committments to excursions because we won't know how Mom is feeling. But knowing we can decide on a whim in Sitka takes a bit of a load off. It's the one port Mom's expressed interest in seeing, but I was concerned about the tender lines...now all is well!

From My experience in Seattle, Last year, I found that boarding the ship after 1pm... closer to 2 pm to be far more enjoyable... I dont need to cram in a lunch with all the milling thorngs.

One reason I think folks jump on board fast is to secure reservations for stuff. They seem to miss the idea that all this can be done on line a week or more before and find it all in your cabin when we arrive.

Now, for disembarking, I and My wife have switched to high qualith rolling cases so that we can carry all our own gear on or off as needed... enought for a 2 week cruise is possible if you plan well. HaL is not a dressy ship so it an Alaska dont require an extensive wardrobe... Its a wilderness trek by sea not an evening at the opera

We dont set out at midnight" anything "and have found its great to get off within 10 to 15 min of the clearance time... If you carry off your stuff you can get off first if you ask... and there is no waiting and hunting for luggage... total time from cabin to curb is about 15 min. It works for us... it may work for you too.

Then too is the option for having your stuff shipped home for you and you have zip to carry or wait..... Getting off first is a pleasure because nothing is busy because even suite passengers have top wait for bags...

One interesting option you may also consider is connecting to the 9:30 am track Starlight 5 blocks away for a delightful sojurn down to LA or SF of an overnight train in a bedroom... I have done this :rolleyes:several times for Alaska cruises and its fun to do

I was on the same sailing as Himself (Hi-Fr.) and we got to the terminal at about 10:45 am. We were in the 4th group to board. They did board those in suites first. We were on board very quickly AND our cabin was ready!

Have a wonderful cruise and enjoy Alaska!:):)

Archived