D+ amenity, quality lowered on towel

For fun, I weighed them on a food scale, and the new one is 10oz lighter. But I would be very surprised if RC made this change because a bunch of people complained that the towel made their luggage too heavy. No doubt it was purely a cost-saving measure. If my luggage was too heavy I would just choose a different amenity that did not need to be taken home. Maybe wine for instance, that can be consumed onboard. YMMV

Really, I don't think they'd change it for that reason either. And I do pick the tote when luggage space is an issue, and the towel when traveling to/from port by car. Although I have chosen the towel again for the next one when I'm flying - Southwest! Two bags fly free! :D

I do like the idea of a thinner, smaller towel though for taking into port. The other one was way too bulky for that. Watch me get one of the old style towels now. :rolleyes:

Gina

Thanks Kathy. It will soon be 49 for us.....75? Three towels? I think I'll have to start with the picture frame or photo album soon. Have you gotten either of these items? If so, what do they look like? What size is the album?

Gina

all I get now is wine.............I have enuf "stuff":p to see what everything looks like,check them out under Gifts and Gear........thats the same things..

Even when you move up a level,you can still pick from the lower list if you want..

I really don't want to step on anyones toes, and will probably get flamed for this comment, BUT. One of the reasons that RCI gave for eliminating the welcome back amenity for all C & A members was that it was not appreciated. I remember too many people posting here, that they didn't like the hat, had too many of this, or too many of that. Well, I am not D+ yet, but I would like to still have some benefits when I get there. Free is free, stop complaining. If you feel disatisfied with your gift, give it back to your room steward. I bet you wouldn't like the look you get. Again, it would be rude.

Thank you

Oh give me a break. OP here, and I was not complaining. I will still get plenty of use out of it, and may well select it again. I was simply passing along information.

With the hats and whatnot, part of the reason people didn't appreciate them was because they had no choice in what they got and often ended up with more of one thing than they could use. That's the nice thing about the D+ amenity. You can choose from a selection.

What I did was SHARE INFORMATION to help others make an informed choice. For instance, I think before ordering wine as their amenity gift, most people would like to know what kind of wine it is, and if it changes they would probably like to know that as well. Maybe some would continue to order the wine, others might decide to switch to another amenty. Likewise, people may want to know what the towel is like. It may influence whether they order/reorder it, or select something else.

I may be dating myself but as I remember I got one cruise a nice heavy bathrobe as gift. I was not diamond or diamond plus.

Gave the robe as a gift to my niece to heavy for me here in California.

I take any free gift and sau thank you.

It's oak leaf but you were close - hey that wine's not bad in a pinch - the merlot is bad but the charonnay is ok

Our TA always has a nice bottle of white wine waiting for me anyway:)

Ah yes, Oak Leaf, have had many a bottle and agree, not bad under the right circumstance (I'm surprised I got the Oak part right). Actually, not too worried about all the changes with Royal and other cruise lines. Sign of the times. Still enjoy cruising. Ten between now and end of year, whether free-bees (sp) or not. Just keep the cocktails flowing in the CL & DL or I'll go to my local bar instead. Are you listening royal?

One per cabin. And the tote bag was not given to D+'s across the board. It is one of the D+ amenities that you are allowed to order each cruise.

Why is that if both you and your husband are Diamond plus. We both get a diamond booklet in our cabin for being Diamond members.Thanks

On our last cruise in May on the Mariner....I asked for the towel and was delivered a Pool Towel...So I complained that I got the wrong towel. In Dec 09, I got the BIG LOGO TOWEL that I love to put out when we have friends over for POOL TIME in the desert. So the next day we were delivered another Pool Towel....again, this time I complained and asked Allen, the Concierge, and the next night was another Pool Towel...so I gave up but hey, We now have 3 Logo Towels and 3 pool towels, goes nice next to the 2 princess towels we also have. OK, Looks like we are cruising when we are using the pool......oh ya, I also have many beach towels from all of the ports we have visited.

Maybe Wine in October...maybe! :)

Mike

Oh give me a break. OP here, and I was not complaining. I will still get plenty of use out of it, and may well select it again. I was simply passing along information.

With the hats and whatnot, part of the reason people didn't appreciate them was because they had no choice in what they got and often ended up with more of one thing than they could use. That's the nice thing about the D+ amenity. You can choose from a selection.

What I did was SHARE INFORMATION to help others make an informed choice. For instance, I think before ordering wine as their amenity gift, most people would like to know what kind of wine it is, and if it changes they would probably like to know that as well. Maybe some would continue to order the wine, others might decide to switch to another amenty. Likewise, people may want to know what the towel is like. It may influence whether they order/reorder it, or select something else.

I for one appreciate your passing of the information so I can make a more informed selection as you have stated. Sometimes people take "passing along information" as complaining, but not me. Nowhere in your comment did it seem like you were complaining to me.

Thanks!:D

I really don't want to step on anyones toes, and will probably get flamed for this comment, BUT. One of the reasons that RCI gave for eliminating the welcome back amenity for all C & A members was that it was not appreciated. I remember too many people posting here, that they didn't like the hat, had too many of this, or too many of that. Well, I am not D+ yet, but I would like to still have some benefits when I get there. Free is free, stop complaining. If you feel disatisfied with your gift, give it back to your room steward. I bet you wouldn't like the look you get. Again, it would be rude.

Thank you

Actually, we started commenting and criticizing the amenities AFTER they were discontinued. I remember because I started a thread about the hats.

But IF our comments did cause RCCL to make a change, then maybe they will bring back the better quality towel!! :D

Oh the discontent among the masses of the pampered. How can RCI treat people with such disregard!

Like many common people, I wish RCI would just give their best frequent customers a bigger discount so the rest of us third class passengers would not have to deal with D+ people flashing their goodies.

I agree. All this over A TOWEL. And weighing them on a food scale? Priceless!!!! Gotta love CC. Information and entertainment all rolled into one great site.

Just to clarify: I put it on the food scale after someone said they probably went to a lighterweight towel because people complained about a heavier towel taking up too much room in their luggage. I doubted the difference was significant so I checked, just out of curiosity. I did not get the new towel and think 'OMG it's not what it used to be' and rush to weigh it. I didn't actually realize it was different until I was doing laundry some weeks later.

I just love how people read something into a post and then get overly dramatic about it. Geez...

Hey, WE LOVE BEING D+...... :)

Not only do we get all of the goodies...Plus What I think is GREAT service over and beyond the GREAT Service... :) ...we get an open Bar for 3.5 hours every night on the larger ships......Who needs to read about Smuggling Booze Threads....:eek:

A Very Happy D+er

Mike

Archived