Oasis Cruise In Review DVD warning

chazg

If you purchase the Oasis Cruise in Review DVD to see scenes from your sailing, you will be highly disappointed. My DD got this on the last day of our 8/28 sailing and there wasn't any video footage of our sailing at all. The DVD is basically a review of the ship.

Image Photo the company that produces this video said they have no control over the video content but will allow you to return the video and they will submit it to RCL for a refund. We will see how that goes.

We always make our own "movies" of vacations. We take tons of photos anyhow (I am a former scrapbooker and likely over document things...lol). When we get back, DH uses iMovie and dumps all the pics in there, weeds through those, adds music and burns to a DVD. The kids (and us!) then have a "movie" of our vacation that we can watch whenever we like. The best part is we can add songs that we feel suit the photos. Lots of fun.

If you purchase the Oasis Cruise in Review DVD to see scenes from your sailing, you will be highly disappointed. My DD got this on the last day of our 8/28 sailing and there wasn't any video footage of our sailing at all. The DVD is basically a review of the ship.

Image Photo the company that produces this video said they have no control over the video content but will allow you to return the video and they will submit it to RCL for a refund. We will see how that goes.

I think this is true about any ships "Cruise in Review DVD". I watched my brothers that he bought and was glad I never bought one!

That is surprising and a shame AND a missed opportunity for RCL to make $$$!

We have never bought the advertised video on RCL, but did buy one on our most recent Celebrity cruise (Infinity) and it was of our sailing. In fact, they would 'run' highlights of it on a continous loop on TV monitors around the photo area. We bought the video for the most part because of the loop video being run and because it was of our specific cruise.

there wasn't any video footage of our sailing at all.

None at all? That is disappointing. I've had mixed results with this. We had a great cruise on Freedom (7 day cruise) and we were happy to see ourselves in the video at the Love and Marriage as well as Quest. While there was a lot of stock footage I found the DVD to be worthwhile.

However, on Navigator on a 5 day cruise, I wasn't going to be buy it at all, but my wife and I were team captains at Quest and it was a great time. As soon as the show let out, they had 5 or so agents selling the DVD right outside the door. (You could pick up your copy on the last day) To me that implied they were going to use the footage from that show. There was a very disappointing amount of actual cruise video on this one.

I would be disappointed if a 7 day cruise on Oasis didn't have a significant amount of actual video on it. I expect everything to be bigger and better on this ship. There was actually NO video?

Thanks for the report.

My DD got this on the last day of our 8/28 sailing and there wasn't any video footage of our sailing at all. The DVD is basically a review of the ship.

Are you sure you bought the Cruise In Review video and not just a stock video of Oasis? We bought the video on either Freedom or Liberty, and while there was a lot of general footage of the ship and ports, there was at least 20 minutes of footage specific to our sailing.

I "won" one in the raffle on the Promenade the first day of one Explorer cruise - so glad I did not pay for it. While they do "insert" a few clips from actual happenings on the ship, the majority is just general stuff.

The C&R DVD issue only relates to OASIS.

I have purchased the C&R from other sailings and there is plenty of footage from Quest, Belly Flop, Sail Away Parties, Love and Marriage Shows.

The Rep at Image Photo confirmed that the Oasis Video is stock footage from the first few sailings and not from our trip.

Are you sure you bought the Cruise In Review video and not just a stock video of Oasis? We bought the video on either Freedom or Liberty, and while there was a lot of general footage of the ship and ports, there was at least 20 minutes of footage specific to our sailing.

Hey Jacquelyn,

This was the only DVD available in the Photo Shop. The Label on the DVD says "Cruise In Review" the case label says "Inaugural Season Keepsake", so even the labeling is confusing.

Then how did I get in one?

Not sure what you mean by that one, you have me confused...... I just said that I was glad that I never bought one.

Not so. I've been in a few of the videos, although I've never bought one. Normally one can preview it in the photo area before deciding whether to buy.

No, not true, I have several C&R video's and this only applies to Oasis.

Ok, before I get beaten to the pulp, what I meant is after watching my brothers DVD from the ship, I didn't think it was worth the money. Yes, it did show some highlights of the current cruise from around the ship, but what I didn't like is the general information of the ship which was "canned" if you know what I mean by that.

My fault for stirring the hornet's nest without being more detailed in what I meant. I didn't mean that it was like the OP said and everything on the DVD was canned without any current video of that particular cruise. :D:)

Do you all forgive me for not being more clearer? I have the dry jitters since I haven't been on a cruise for 6 months now and I need to seek help.

Not so. I've been in a few of the videos, although I've never bought one. Normally one can preview it in the photo area before deciding whether to buy.

Thats a great point that I didn't know. I'll check that out next year on Serenade.

On our Vision OTS cruise a fortnight ago, the Cruise in Review DVD was looped on the TV (Channel 15, if I recall correctly) on the last day. My daughter featured on the sail away, and we and some friends we made on the ship featured prominently in Quest. In fact, we bought it because we featured so prominently.

I actually don't mind the stock footage, what really annoys me is the fact that the stock footage is presented as an advert rather than an 'informative' documentary. I don't need to be sold the idea of cruising on this ship, I've already done it!

• 9 months later...

I was going to post a thread about this, just being off Oasis, but did a search and found this one.

Update: Nothing on Oasis has changed. This is probably the one thing we were extremely disappointed about. The only RCI ship that (still) does not have a CiR of the sailing you are on. they do offer a generic one which, as stated by someone here already, is an advertisement video and nothing like a CiR. Both were NOT offered. CiR is just not offered on Oasis.

History, We have purchased the CiR on probably our last 4 or 5 cruises, they were on Explorer. Having participated in the QUEST each time, and having won because our team was most active (wild & crazy) the videographer was always on our team. We travel with multiple cameras including a digital camcorder which is small, easy to carry and use. If we knew the video being taken wasn't going to be available for purchase, I would have videoed it myself. Thankfully, I probably took 200 pictures and kept jumping right onto the floor to get some of them.

The content on the CiR's we have purchased in the past have contained a majority, if not all of the exact cruise we were on- a very small amount of stock footage if any. It always contained the belly flop, mens sexy legs, footage of sports games played, snippets from the promenade and lounges...and of course, QUEST.

One would think with the advancement of technology and already having a system in place on board their other ships, that Royal would offer this on board Oasis. The Focus shop staff were apologetic, have no idea why Oasis is the only ship to not offer it.......... but they are aware that Oasis is the only ship that it is not offered on.

Has this disappointed any one else? (Just curious)

Archived