different name on passport - okay to board??

ViolaSwamp

Hello,

We are due to set sail in just over two weeks - yeah!! Have one question I need clarification on, however.

My sister got her passport in early 2008 (under her maiden name of "Sally Smith"). At the end of 2008, she got married and has since gone by her married name of "Sally Jones". Her passport is under the name of Sally Smith whereas her driver's license is Sally Jones.

We booked the cruise with her married name, Sally Jones. Got nervous about this variance from her passport name, so we called Carnival. They said as long as she has her driver's license, marriage certificate AND passport, everything will be fine.

I want assurance from you all, who may have had this same issue, that this is indeed the case, that my sister will not be SOL.

Oh, another tidbit is that she is Military and will have that ID with her as well if that helps.

Will she have any problems with her passport being in her married name?

Thank you!!

I also have a quick question concerning this. I know that my passport does not display my address. I have recently moved out of my parents house and have a new address (which is listed on my DL). Do they scan the passport to see if the address matches?

I also have a quick question concerning this. I know that my passport does not display my address. I have recently moved out of my parents house and have a new address (which is listed on my DL). Do they scan the passport to see if the address matches?

If you have a passport they don't ask for or look at your drivers license, if that's what you're worried about mismatching. In any event whatever address you had when you obtained your passport is irrelevant. The government doesn't keep track of address changes after your passport is issued. You couldn't notify them of an address change for passport purposes even if you wanted to.

If it's a "closed loop", she doesn't need the passport...her military ID or DL will be fine, along with birth certificate....and no married woman's name will match her BC!

First, as someone noted in response to what you wrote on a previous thread, some married women do not take their husband's last name and their BC will match their drivers license. In addition, and far more significantly, you keep giving this erroneous advice in thread after thread, totally ignoring the fact that certain cruise lines...at a minimum Royal Caribbean, and possibly others... are requiring a bridge document such as a marriage license to prove the person on the BC is the same as the person on the drivers license.

You're doing a great disservice to posters who need accurate information by continuing to post the same erroneous response every time a question is asked.

Hello,

We are due to set sail in just over two weeks - yeah!! Have one question I need clarification on, however.

My sister got her passport in early 2008 (under her maiden name of "Sally Smith"). At the end of 2008, she got married and has since gone by her married name of "Sally Jones". Her passport is under the name of Sally Smith whereas her driver's license is Sally Jones.

We booked the cruise with her married name, Sally Jones. Got nervous about this variance from her passport name, so we called Carnival. They said as long as she has her driver's license, marriage certificate AND passport, everything will be fine.

I want assurance from you all, who may have had this same issue, that this is indeed the case, that my sister will not be SOL.

Oh, another tidbit is that she is Military and will have that ID with her as well if that helps.

Thank you!!

CRUD - too late to edit. I meant to say, "Will she have any problems with her passport being in her MAIDEN name?"

OOPS :o

First, as someone noted in response to what you wrote on a previous thread, some married women do not take their husband's last name and their BC will match their drivers license. In addition, and far more significantly, you keep giving this erroneous advice in thread after thread, totally ignoring the fact that certain cruise lines...at a minimum Royal Caribbean, and possibly others... are requiring a bridge document such as a marriage license to prove the person on the BC is the same as the person on the drivers license.

You're doing a great disservice to posters who need accurate information by continuing to post the same erroneous response every time a question is asked.

I'll second this. My married name matches my birth certificate. Lots of women don't change their names these days. And it's possible that people can be and might be asked for every bit of documentation.

CRUD - too late to edit. I meant to say, "Will she have any problems with her passport being in her MAIDEN name?"

OOPS :o

The passport should match the name she booked the cruise with / her air ticket (if flying)

If not she should take other legal I.D. to prove she is who she is;)

Her airline ticket is under her MARRIED name, as is her license. The cruise booking is also under her MARRIED name.

The stinking passport is the only thing left in her MAIDEN name. I don't know why she hasn't changed it. It's been two years now. I love her, but what a putz! :eek:

So... what I'm hearing is that she will be fine, as long as she brings the following:

Passport (MAIDEN)

Birth Certificate (MAIDEN)

Marriage Certificate (both)

Driver's Licence (MARRIED)

Military ID (MARRIED)

I would hope that all of this would be enough to prove she's who she says!

I'll second this. My married name matches my birth certificate. Lots of women don't change their names these days. And it's possible that people can be and might be asked for every bit of documentation.

I will third that. My married name matches my birth certificate and my driver's license.

When the names do not match on all documents and the booking name I would err on the side of caution and bring any documentation to bridge the name difference. Why take a chance?

Hello,

Thank you!!

Make sure you have prrof and then some, everything needs to be notorized and documented. Take NO CHANCES. If I were her, Id change the name on the cruise manifest NOW.

Her airline ticket is under her MARRIED name, as is her license. The cruise booking is also under her MARRIED name.

So... what I'm hearing is that she will be fine, as long as she brings the following:

Passport (MAIDEN)

Birth Certificate (MAIDEN)

Marriage Certificate (both)

Driver's Licence (MARRIED)

Military ID (MARRIED)

I would hope that all of this would be enough to prove she's who she says!

all that should work ;)

If you live near a city, we are in the Dallas area, my daughter in law went to downtown Dallas to the passport office if you have less than 10 days before you cruise. My daughter in laws was expired and was told 10 days prior to sailing she could get it changed. This is what I would do.

Her airline ticket is under her MARRIED name, *snip*

The stinking passport is the only thing left in her MAIDEN name.

This is where she could run into problems. I know there was a whole stink a few months ago where airlines were starting to require first-middle-last name on their tickets, and the passport had to match. She'll probably be OK with her marriage license, but if anything proves to be a sticking point, this will probably be it.

I don't know why she hasn't changed it. It's been two years now. I love her, but what a putz! :eek:

Sometimes people need to suffer the consequence of their actions/inaction to learn. It might be tough love (and in this case, I think she'll probably be OK), but there's only so much hand-holding one should do for individuals.

Well, should be fine and will be fine are 2 different things. I was given a hassle boarding in LA because my passport said "Michael" and my cruise docs said "Micheal". Hopefully it all goes well. As others have said, so long as this person has the proper documentation, the vast majority of times, it's fine. But I wouldn't be surprised if the opposite was true.

Her marriage certificate shows both names. In my experience that's the crucial document in this situation. If she doesn't wish to use her married name for this kind of thing or in life generally (many women prefer not to take their husband's name) she must ensure in future that she doesn't use it for bookings, etc or the problem will keep arising. Knowing how obdurate some officals can be I'd take a belt and braces approach and take all the ID she can lay her hands on in both names but the marriage cert is probably the most important.

After we were married my wife and I travelled a fair amount -because her passport was in her maiden name for the first year or so, we booked under different names - we didn't get even a wink from the boarding people.

Seriously, even if she carries a bridge document such as marriage license, she could (but most probably will not) have a problem.

If she can produce evidence of imminent travel, she can get virtually same-day service from the passport office.

This is where she could run into problems. I know there was a whole stink a few months ago where airlines were starting to require first-middle-last name on their tickets, and the passport had to match. She'll probably be OK with her marriage license, but if anything proves to be a sticking point, this will probably be it.

I just got an e-mail from American Airlines (we're booked for flights in October) giving the starting date for "Secure Flight" as November 1, 2010.

" In compliance with this mandate, you will be required to provide Secure Flight Passenger Data (full name, date of birth, gender and redress number*, if applicable):

• To purchase any ticket on or after September 15, 2010, regardless of travel date
  • To travel November 1, 2010, or later, regardless of purchase date "

I checked our reservation and since we booked before 9/15 and will be traveling before 11/1 we don't need to add the extra info (booked with first / last name and our drivers licenses and passports both have first / middle / last.

Not exactly on topic, but good info anyways:

I kept my name so all my legal and travel docs are different from DH. I still carry a copy of my marriage license in case anything happens to either of us while on vaca. Telling people you are married doesn't necessarily make them believe you, ring or no ring. Proof can be vital in an emergency.

Archived