Why no US News on Princess

Hlitner

I hadn't realized how much I missed those daily news summaries until my recent cruise on HAL, where they are still provided. (And I saw them offered in several different nationalities, just by looking at people's mail slots as I walked down the hall to my cabin.)

HAL also provides online access to NY Times free on their computer terminals.

I tell you, cruising HAL after years on Princess was a bit of an eye opener. You realize how much Princess has slowly done away with over the years that once was offered. :(

To the person who suggested using the Internet to get news: that would be a great idea if there were enough terminals to properly accommodate the number of passengers onboard, and if Internet service was fast enough or reliable enough on board.

I tell you, cruising HAL after years on Princess was a bit of an eye opener. You realize how much Princess has slowly done away with over the years that once was offered. :(

I got that feeling also! It was refreshing.

I hadn't realized how much I missed those daily news summaries until my recent cruise on HAL, where they are still provided. (And I saw them offered in several different nationalities, just by looking at people's mail slots as I walked down the hall to my cabin.)

see picture below (not from HAL or Princess)

1631703911_100_439408_06.10Dailynewssummariesavailableonboard.jpg.a058287c8ba96024509d63277c193ba9.jpg

Really? Cunard is owned by Carnival Corporation & PLC, which also owns Princess, P&O, HAL, Carnival Cruise Lines, etc. To my knowledge, each of the lines is managed separately although there are some joint booking and other procedures between Cunard and Princess. However, overall, they are managed separately. I haven't heard anything about Princess "running" Cunard. Must be something new.

This is probably a topic better suited to the Cunard site (yeah, we know that we started this issue here) but here is our take on the subject. When CCL bought Cunard they operated it as an autonomous company (similar to their other lines such as Princess). However, things did not work out so well (we assume this meant they were not making money) and at some point the day to day managment of Cunard was quietly taken over by many of the same staff that operate Princess. They now use the same offices, many of the same staff, and you can even find some Princess crew working on Cunard ships. We had to smile when we requested our stockholder credit from Cunard (they do have a seperate fax number) only to get our confirmation back from Liza McDaniel, and name very familiar to those of us who have received stockholder credits for Princess.

The combining of managment has not been a secret and was even discussed in a press releave an on CC.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/archive/index.php/t-54984.html

However, it does seem that since that policy change back in 2004 there has been more and more consolidation.

Hank

This is probably a topic better suited to the Cunard site (yeah, we know that we started this issue here) but here is our take on the subject. When CCL bought Cunard they operated it as an autonomous company (similar to their other lines such as Princess). However, things did not work out so well (we assume this meant they were not making money) and at some point the day to day managment of Cunard was quietly taken over by many of the same staff that operate Princess. They now use the same offices, many of the same staff, and you can even find some Princess crew working on Cunard ships. We had to smile when we requested our stockholder credit from Cunard (they do have a seperate fax number) only to get our confirmation back from Liza McDaniel, and name very familiar to those of us who have received stockholder credits for Princess.

The combining of managment has not been a secret and was even discussed in a press releave an on CC.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/archive/index.php/t-54984.html

However, it does seem that since that policy change back in 2004 there has been more and more consolidation.

Hank

When I worked for Princess, the companies were nearly merged for operational reasons.

Many Hotel Management staff from Princess were loaned to Cunard.

That ended 2 years ago. Most of the Princess staff that had been loaned, happily returned to Princess.

Although some offices are still shared in Santa Clarita, the 2 companies have since gone their separate ways with most of the operational issues.

Having just returned to cc after a cruise ( what else !) I have read through this thread and can only wish that Princess could bring back the excellent brief papers as per Caribill's photo in post 58. I'm with Astro Flyer...come on Princess, don't be so cheapskate !! If needs be just put them out on the purser's desk or library for collection by those who want them.

When we were on the Coral five years ago we would find a summary of the "important" news from Canada printed out and left for us every few days. (They could barely fill a page!:D And some of the stories were pretty obscure.)

On the Ruby in August there were no "news from home" summaries and to be honest we didn't miss them. (We don't mind the cruise line cutting some things to limit the cost of the cruise.) The news stations that were available were interesting to watch. It is nice to travel to a different part of the world and see the topics and issues that are important to that region.

We go on vacation to get away from the daily grind. It always amazes me how fast you catch up with the news when you return from a trip.

• 1 year later...
Bah. Who needs news? You're on vacation. Believe me, if something earth-shattering happens, even CNN International will interrupt Paris Hilton coverage long enough to let you in on it (and it's not like Paris Hilton's stint in the hoosegow wasn't also all over every other news outlet at the same time!). I saw no news at all during my 15-day Canal cruise -- totally missed the whole Christmas bomber story. And it made no difference whatsoever that I was out of the loop. The world kept on turning and my life has remained a fulfilled and happy one despite that two week lacuna.

My sentiments exactly concerning news while on a cruise. The less news channels the better in my mind. I guess if I cruised really long intineraries I might feel different. Well, no actually, I wouldn't. I would suspect that if there was something happening in the world that was a "must know" for me the cruise line would make sure I knew it or someone from home would definitely be calling me to let me know. Other than that, I really don't want to know what the news is while I'm cruising. I'm sure I will hear all about it when I get home. So, while I'm at sea, I am happy to be news free!

I wish they'd go back to those daily news summaries...you could read it or put it in the trash. Now TV news is more gossip or constant talking heads voicing their opinions. It's nearly impossible to get a news briefing on TV even if you so desired.

Bring back the news summary sheets and we can read them or trash them. :rolleyes:

I'm a moderate news junkie, more so with local news (did worked at a midwestern tv station in the news department while attending j-school). I remember those little newsletters and would always head to the purser's desk to get one to read. My hubby is more into business news so if there's CNBC or Fox News even, he likes to check out the news when we're in our cabin. It's a choice, so if someone doesn't want to catch up on the world while on a cruise, no one will be forcing them to watch.

We have absolutely no problem keeping up with the latest breaking news while on board.

Have you heard of the Internet?

The Internet is an amazing thing, from your cabin you can connect with virtually any newspaper, radio station, or TV station in the world. If you do not carry a laptop on your cruise, the Internet cafe will allow the same access.

P&J

Again, not everyone is eligible for the free Internet minutes (we still have another cruise to get through before we are there). But there are some itineraries where the Internet speed is slow or the signal temporarily non-existent. That was one complaint on the recent 28-day Sapphire cruise.

I wish they'd go back to those daily news summaries...you could read it or put it in the trash. Now TV news is more gossip or constant talking heads voicing their opinions. It's nearly impossible to get a news briefing on TV even if you so desired.

Bring back the news summary sheets and we can read them or trash them. :rolleyes:

I would like this too...

My sentiments exactly concerning news while on a cruise. The less news channels the better in my mind. I guess if I cruised really long intineraries I might feel different. Well, no actually, I wouldn't. I would suspect that if there was something happening in the world that was a "must know" for me the cruise line would make sure I knew it or someone from home would definitely be calling me to let me know. Other than that, I really don't want to know what the news is while I'm cruising. I'm sure I will hear all about it when I get home. So, while I'm at sea, I am happy to be news free!

Interesting that this thread has been resurrected. But really, it is nice to have access to news if you want it. On my first cruise on the Island Princess, we were walking through the Internet Cafe and saw a blurb on the scrolling news feed about brush fires in Southern California. We found out that the fires were burning near to our home and emailed family to check out the house... luckily the firefighters were there to save the community. Flying back to LA, it was like a war zone with so many fires burning around the area... we would have been panicked if we didn't know what was going on...

Many major newspapers have a daily e-mail summary you can subscribe to at no cost.

If you download the e-mail, you can at least have a look (after signing off the Internet on your own laptop/netbook) at the headlines and often a summary paragraph.

Of course to look at the complete articles themselves, you will need to eat up Internet minutes.

I miss the printed news too...for awhile after they quit delivering it to your cabin you could ask for a copy at the Pursers Desk. Now no more. For us, the last couple of Princess cruises have had news channels available on the TV, and that has been fine. Hope that is still the case.

They could print the news on the back of all the junk we get from the spa, art auction and shops.

Not sure when you last sailed but on my last cruise on the CB the amount of paper was cut down to the Patters and a half page insert with advertising printed on both sides.

BBC is fine for us.

We find it just a LITTLE more factual and a Lot less biased than US based media outlets.

The BBC does not seem to waste nearly as much time on reporting what the likes of Hilton or Lopez are up to on that particular day. Bottom line...less filler and nonsense-more straight news.

Ninety-nine percent of the time, the news is the "same old, same old." When I left in early October, the "Occupy" movement was the focus of most broadcasts and it still is today. The Market went up and it went down. The government got little done. Even the Conrad Murray trial news was the same. You could substitute one day's news for another weeks later and not notice the difference.

I've been on cruises when major events happened, such as the tsunami in Thailand, and we got the news on the TV. It doesn't matter whether it's the BBC, HLN, or CNN. If its major, it'll be covered.

When I'm on a HAL cruise, I usually check the world's weather on the so-called "news" sheet that's delivered daily before throwing it away. It's mostly editorials, very little news and from my point of view, a waste of paper.

We've become fans of BBC news because it is less biased than the US stations and is more global. BBC is fine for us on cruises.

Also, don't EVER move to Texas. We rarely get national news here on the major stations.

I can't speak to your opinion on Texas since I've never spent more than two weeks there in my entire life, but I totally agree with you on BBC.

The only thing you'll miss is the "filler" junk news that the 24 hour news networks use to justify their existence.

BBC will give you the headline news in the US and they even have commentary on issues affecting the US.

Disclaimer: I am a recovering news junkie :)

BBC is fine for us.

We find it just a LITTLE more factual and a Lot less biased than US based media outlets.

No kidding! I'm shocked to hear people who call themselves "news junkies" criticize the BBC for their news coverage. What CNN and the others call "news" is mostly politics, opinion and various scandals. Believe me, if there was actually something critical going on in the US, the BBC would be covering it.

Even at home, to get a decent sense of what's actually going on in the world I turn to the BBC's news broadcasts or CNN International. US-based "news," especially cable (all of them) has lost all sense of perspective.

Archived