Which cruise line would you consider after Hal?

COLLEYBERRY

Saga would be my second choice cruiseline. It's HAL the way HAL used to be.

Third choice might be Cunard. I was too young for Cunard when I sailed that line, and it was not a good fit at the time; I think it would be now. The only thing that would stop me from choosing them is the size of the ships. They really are too large for my taste. I don't know if the atmosphere would compensate for that.

Or, maybe Hurtigruten. I love their itineraries.

Hey there, Ruth :)

I think you'll like Cunard right now. Just like Saga, the atmosphere on Cunard is like HAL was 10 yrs ago. White glove service ... noon whistle on sea days ... NO bingo announcements.

And don't let the size of QM2 bother you. She absorbs everybody comfortably, and the public areas never seem crowded. I'm sure you'd enjoy yourself. :)

Cunard was my second choice, but the more I sail on it, it is starting to look like my first choice. After 5 WC on HAL, we are considering the 2012 WC on Cunard.

Cunard is a class act ! And their ships are so luxurious. Take Queen Victoria for ex. It is roughly the same as a Vista class ship on HAL but they have invested $70 millions more in it. And it shows.

I am noting alot of votes for Oceania, but negative comments on their prices being igher than HAL. I was wondering if that is true for all cabin categories? What I mean is, how does Oceania compare to HAL's pricing on suites for example.

DaveOKC

Holland America is great, but for the same costs, I would pick Celebrity every time! In the large ship catagory, no line can compete with Celebrity's new Solstice class ships (IMO).

Oceania and Azamara have outstanding cuisine, but the ships are really small (great for unique port intensive cruises), and slow, and the cabins are small, and you really have to work to keep yourself entertained. Two or three times the cost of a HAL/Celebrity cruise.

Going to try Cunard next month!

Enjoy!

Kel:)

Have you been reading the 1073+ posts on the Celebrity CC Board how Celebrity has been handling their recently cancelled cruise with their ship "Century" You probably wouldn't have stated "I would pick Celebrity every time" if you had been on that cruise!;)

Just curious again.:D...Which cruise line would be your second choice after Hal... just for fun you have to pick one.

These are not may second choice, the are competing with HAL:

Celebrity

Oceania

and maybe Princess

Kirk

We did go on the Star Princess last February and now Princess is a consideration but still prefer HAL & Celebrity and book between them according to itinerary

Noordam Nov 13 2010

Summit Feb 26 2011 B2B Finally Elite

2009 Volendam New Zealand, 2010 Star Princess Brazil repo, 2010

Millie Alaska repo and many more since 1985

Ontario Cruiser

And don't let the size of QM2 bother you. She absorbs everybody comfortably, and the public areas never seem crowded. I'm sure you'd enjoy yourself. :)

Hi, Vic. I'm sure I would enjoy myself. And crowding isn't my concern, it's the overall size of the ship that I would worry about. Walking is the problem. The HAL Vista/Signature ships are simply too massive for my comfort. I suspect the QM2 would be even more difficult for me.

Not that I'm unwilling to take a chance! I'm made of sterner stuff! ;)

We were on the Insignia last year - Eastern Med with several Greek isles ----very port intensive in an outside cabin. The good - cabin layout with picture window and lots of storage, great food (in many cases, we thought, better than HAL), more people dressed nicely for dinner even though no formal, good exploration lecturer on the history of the region, good times for trivia, great crew, etc. The bad - tiny bathroom and even tinier shower, very little entertainment.

I was on a large Princess ship - Sapphire during its maiden year and it was terrible and I've said never again.

Have always cruised HAL, but we're trying Celebrity for a 10 day southern Caribbean next month. The price is so good we can't possibly be disappointed. If it's only half as good, we will have gotten our money's worth. Back "home" to HAL next July for Eastern Mediterranean on the Nieuw Amsterdam.

bepsf: I DO very much want to sail on the new Queen Elizabeth.

• 4 months later...
We have already picked Voyages of Discovery and Voyages to Antiquity because they are small, unique itinerary, lecture enhanced single ship cruise lines. I will never do Crystal again. Regent would be my high-end choice if money were no object, but they don't really have the itineraries that immediately appeal to me. Nice ship but kind of boring itineraries.

I might also look into Louis Cruise lines or MSC for their unique Mediterranean itineraries and the fact they leave from Genoa, Savona and Livorno; not Civitavecchia (Rome), Italy.

If as you say you would "never do Crystal again," then why do you have a countdown timer which shows you are going to cruise on Crystal in less than two weeks? ;)

We are looking to try Oceana and/or Azamara. We have been on Crystal once and it was wonderful. Having said that, it's price/value proposition for us puts in out of the running in our travel budget.

Our top choices in for mass market cruise lines are Princess, HAL, and Celebrity-in no particular order because we don't stick with only one. Our two most recent experiences with Celebrity for Caribbean cruises have actually pushed them to the top of our preferences. For our last two cruises they have also delivered the most value and have been the lowest cost. Apart from all of that, we really like Celebrity's new Solstice class ships.

We have been on eleven other cruise lines (besides HAL) and honestly loved every cruise. Using a variety of ships, lines and itineraries keeps crusing very exciting and we never get bored. There are pros and cons to nearly every cruise line (and ship).

Hank

We have been on eleven other cruise lines (besides HAL) and honestly loved every cruise. Using a variety of ships, lines and itineraries keeps crusing very exciting and we never get bored. There are pros and cons to nearly every cruise line (and ship).

Hank

I agree---we have never had a bad cruise on any line. We have loved them all!!

We are trying Regent next March. Hope we won't be spoiled, because we are not rich!!

Royal Caribbean. Our first cruise was to Alaska on the Radiance - 2nd was the Westerdam to Eastern Caribbean. We're going on the Radiance again to Australia and NZ - mainly because they have the itinerary we wanted. If HAL had offered another circumnavigation of Australia we would have grabbed it. From then on I can see us sticking to HAL - for Voyage of the Vikings in 2013 and then the Panama Canal after that.

:confused: If had to choose something other than HAL - would go Princess on the Pacific, Royal or Ocean. They are smaller ships and closer to the HAl experience. The same with the Vision and Radiance classes from RCI. Will consider others if they have ships in their fleet that are in the same class sizes.

Archived