RCL Towel Policy All Wet

musicfam

I haven't read all the posts in this thread yet so this may have been said already...it is my understanding that the charge for towels not turned in at the end of the cruise is to minimize chair hogs at the pool. I know I certainly wouldn't leave my towel for hours at a time on a pool chair knowing I just may have to pay $25. for the privlege of leaving that towel there.

I agree with chair hogs by beach towel occupancy, much tooooo common on all our cruises. As the poster said, I have not read all the post, but people steal, not because they need towels, but because they can. Towels left behind are not the only issue, just look at the junk left behind by cruisers for others guest/cruisers to sit with or take to the trash so they can have a clean place to set, glasses, dirty plates etc. I know cruising is for fun, and to be taken care of by the cruise companies, but to purposely leave trash or other stuff for the guests who follow you is a PITA for them. RC or any other cruise line cannot hire enough people to police the setting areas all the time.

I have no problem with the towel rules!

I understand the towel policy and why...I just think they could implement a better way to ensure charges don't show up on accounts. We checked out towels for our day on Coco Cay. It was no issue to check them out and swipe the cards. Checking them "back in" wasn't difficult either. What bothers me is they don't give you any type of confirmation that they checked them in and I think that is what the problem is with these bogus charges. They don't trust us with the towels, but expect us to trust the person checking them in did so for the correct amount. I didn't have any charge on my account--but one of the folks at our table did. What a pain to have to stand in line on disembarkation day when there are hundreds of people settling accounts, disputing towel charges, etc. Certainly not the last "cruise vacation experience" RCL is going after.

I think something as simple as a printed receipt when you turn it in or a towel card, etc. would make like simpler for everyone. Just think they could come up with a better process. I don't think RCCL is trying to scam people by putting the charges on their accounts. I think they just have a terrible process for keeping track of them.

Simple solution..take large towels out of the gym locker rooms. That's what I do. No problem. Nobody monitors those towels

Just give them a bit of time as it has been suggested several times in this thread alone!

Seriously though, we can put tracer tags in all of our paper money. Surely they could do the same with towels for a minimal cost. (...and don't call me Shirley)

Simple solution, stay in a full suite and they don't check towels in and out, they just hand them to you when they see your gold card. Actually, if we're not staying in a full suite, I take my own. I have ones I've had for almost 30 years that aren't really thick and they just roll up and fit right in my suitcase. You can buy cheap ones (~$5) during summer/beach season at almost any big box store.

And for everyone saying just to go take the ones from the locker rooms, how much longer do you think that will last when more people figure it out and RCI realizes it?

Simple solution, stay in a full suite and they don't check towels in and out, they just hand them to you when they see your gold card. Actually, if we're not staying in a full suite, I take my own. I have ones I've had for almost 30 years that aren't really thick and they just roll up and fit right in my suitcase. You can buy cheap ones (~$5) during summer/beach season at almost any big box store.

And for everyone saying just to go take the ones from the locker rooms, how much longer do you think that will last when more people figure it out and RCI realizes it?

Actually they are in the cabin and the room steward changes them out daily.

Actually they are in the cabin and the room steward changes them out daily.

We were in a GS in March on Explorer and we did not have beach towels in our room.

We'll be in a GS on Freedom in Oct, so we'll see.

What a great Idea. I'll spend an extra $2,000 on my cabin so I don't have to spend $25 on a towel:eek:.

We also had a problem with the towel policy on our Liberty cruise in May. My daughter checked out two towels and when she turned them back in, they said they didn't show any checked out under her card. Then lo and behold we had a charge for two towels on our final bill. Had to wait in line at service desk to get the charge removed. I don't care for their towel policy.

My simple solution to the "towel issue" has worked beautifully for us. I use the towels from the towel animals for the pool and/or beach, and I have never had a problem. After we use them, I just put them on the bathroom floor and the cabin attendant takes them away. I can't be bothered worrying about checking out towels at the pool deck, or schlepping towels from home.

I knew those towel animals would come in handy for something other than a cute photo op.....;):)

Did you ever notice they were a little damp? The towel animals are not always made with clean towels my friend.

I'd like to order one of the "Gifts and Gear" RC towels to take along on my next cruise. But for the life of me I can't recall what the new onboard pool towels look like. Are they like the $25 gift and gear towels, which has the logo and name all along the length of the towel (see photo). If so, I wouldn't want to take mine along in case it gets "lifted"!

400P.jpg

I appreciate the towel policy. I think the entire point is to prevent "deck clutter" and chair hogging. Before the policy, lazy guests would simply leave their dirty towels on the deck or on the chair, and return to their cabin. Then, you wouldn't know if the deck chair was available or not...since it had a towel on it. Now, people are more vigilant about returning the towels (because of the charge), and they remove the towel from the chair. Then, we know the chair is vacant and available. It makes perfect sense. It's not a money-making scheme, and it's not that difficult to walk 20 feet to the towel station to return a towel. I say...keep the policy!

I'm not against the policy--just don't like how it's executed. I think they could improve to ensure folks that did return their towels weren't charged for them and then treated like criminals. It hasn't happened to me, but I did hear first hand on the ship where it happened to others. In addition, many on the board of related the same thing. I would hate to stand in a long line disembarkation morning trying to prove i returned a towel that I did return.

I think most agree that this does help the chair hog piece but would like a different way for it to be implemented. Even a receipt when handing back in would be helpful and give someone a piece of mind.

Simple solution..take large towels out of the gym locker rooms. That's what I do. No problem. Nobody monitors those towels

And that explains why when I went to use the sauna, there were no towels in the locker room:D

Sherri

I guess people do steal towels.

And sometimes they just re-arrange them.

We were sitting at the pool one sea day, backing in the sun. And even though Freedom says they prevent chair hogs, some areas of the pool had towels draped around them for what seemed hours on end.

An attendent walked around these chairs "towel Police" for hours. Finally after what seemed eternity he collected them, and took them away.

So maybe some lose their towels to the patrols.

Safe travels

People do steal towels, but the main reason for the charge was people taking towels with them on shore excursions, and since there was no charge, just leaving them rather than lugging them back to the ship. It was costing them a lot of money.

I'd like to order one of the "Gifts and Gear" RC towels to take along on my next cruise. But for the life of me I can't recall what the new onboard pool towels look like. Are they like the $25 gift and gear towels, which has the logo and name all along the length of the towel (see photo). If so, I wouldn't want to take mine along in case it gets "lifted"!

400P.jpg

I dont remember the new(er) Towels looking like these, although Im not sure this is the one I would take on my RCI cruise, there could be a handful of others thinking the same thing. MY luck...I would pick lounge chairs by others who would show up w/ their new and same towel too! lol

People do steal towels, but the main reason for the charge was people taking towels with them on shore excursions, and since there was no charge, just leaving them rather than lugging them back to the ship. It was costing them a lot of money.

I have to say, people that leave a ship towel instead of bringing it back are pathetic. I guess it is the same folks that might consider borrowing something from someone and never returning it, like they think possession makes it theirs to decide what to do with. No Integrity.

How much it saves RCCL? We drink wine and a small plastic glass of wine by the pool was $9. I am really not worried about them losing money. For what we spent, they could let us use a towel without having to worry about it.
Well again, you can complain all you want, the reality is take two, hand in one get charged! And if your a RCCL stockholder it's a smart business move. As I said if you knew what it saved RCCL each year and you were a stockholder you would have no problem with the issue. Thank you

When I was on Oasis Nov 20th - a few of the towel guys would NOT let us exchange them! I was traveling with my family of four - we each had one towel checked out on our card. I went to exchange them all for clean ones - he wouldn't let me! He made me go get all four cards, check in four towels and then recheck them out. INSANE! At one point I also went to return two towels but since I didn't have both cards he wouldn't let me! Which is crazy cuz later in the week I was able to do it. The towel guy was able to pull everyone in family and show me how many towels were checked out. He was able to click in the box and change around the numbers. I guess some of the towel guys were having bad days and just wanted to make the towel exchange as difficult as possible.

And then at the end of the week I had three towels to return (which according to the towel math in my head was correct - I should have had 3 out) but when I went to return the towels they said I didn't have any checked out. ugh. What a pain.

Kathy

Kathy I feel you pain. Not a perfect system, and depending on who man's the towel stations I guess you have different personalities. Yet this is not end of the world stuff. Frustrating maybe , but on the bright side if that's the worst issue on the cruise not so bad. Enjoy the ship and everything it has to offer! Thanks

RCI makes up bogus towel charges. Check out 2 towels, return 2 towels, get charged for 2 towels. Guess this gives them some extra money.

For my dad they put the 2 bogus towel charges the last morning. People are concetrating on getting off the ship and not what's on the final statement.

At least he had the smarts to get written receipts each time he checked a towel out and in.

He also went o the front desk at midnight the last night and had a purser sign a printout of his statement that all towels were returned.

6 hours later there was a $50 charge for unreturned towels.

He took all his receipts, stood in the mile long line the last morning and the took off the fake made-up charges. Seems sad RCI has to go this low to try to get a few more $ from their passengers.

Celebrity and HAL have all the towels you want to use out by the pools without this nonsense.

Oh sure Brad RCCL loves making up bogus towel charges! You are so funny!! Get a grip!

Celebrity and HAL have all the towels you want to use out by the pools without this nonsense.

Exactly - humorous is Celebrity is the same company. Their policy is friendly & easy. Two logo beach towels in the room, take 'em you get charged. Deck towels are plain & use as you will. Staff walks around & removes unsed - seems to work.

If I can buy the cheap-o deck towels Celebrity uses for $5..........what do they cost Royal in to 50K+ quantities to purchase?

What a great Idea. I'll spend an extra $2,000 on my cabin so I don't have to spend $25 on a towel:eek:.

LMAO - yeah, that's the ticket!

Well again, you can complain all you want, the reality is take two, hand in one get charged! And if your a RCCL stockholder it's a smart business move. As I said if you knew what it saved RCCL each year and you were a stockholder you would have no problem with the issue. Thank you

Ya think? Their other line doesn't have the policy, are the going broke? How much does reputation cost in profits? Bet it's real profitable to be known as "Ghetto Chicken Stuff" cruise line.

Case in point - I have three booked within the next year, Feb is first on Royal. So far we have no 24hr coffee and $25 for towels. I'm about on more CS thing away from saying screw "Ghetto Chicken Stuff" line..................I've also got a big mouth & will tell anyone "stay away, better off booking a raft out of Haiti or Cuba, better amenities".

How many towels does that buy? How many towels can you buy for the permanent loss of a customer? Short sighted business logic. Costs more in ill will than it saves.

Call me a tightwad if you will, but I have zero problem with them making money. Drink prices are fine, I realize like movie theaters the cruise price doesn't cover the cost.............I do not however want to be screwing around with towels while I'm on vacation (I don't want it to even enter my mind).

So how exactly does it stop chair hogs? The ones I've seen simply use shoes or magazines.............drop something on each chair.

So if a towel is $25...............what the heck is a blanket on deck? $50? $100? :eek::D

I agree that the towel policy is annoying. Stop putting "Royal Caribbean" on them and people will be less likely to take them. And the policy is so inconsistently enforced. And $25 is way too much to charge.

We were on Labadee two weeks ago and some women was running from chair to chair asking if anyone had seen her towel. She finally gave up and took one from an unoccupied chair that was not hers. Then the person using that chair returned to no towel, and stated that he was going to take someone else's. I laughed imagining this cycle of everyone stealing each others' towels.

We always bring our own cheap-o beach towels. Besides them being bigger and more comfortable, nobody would ever steal a towel that is so obviously not theirs. And it is easier to find our chairs.

Someone picked up one of our towels, too, and my husband had to stop him and ask for our towel back. I don't think people purposefully go around stealing other people's towels, but if your "stuff" is next to their "stuff," they might pick it up by mistake. I agree that it's nervewracking. However, I understand that without this policy people might steal the towels. They should offer a policy in which if someone does walk off with your towel you can agree to have a crew member search your luggage to ensure you're not taking one. Yes, I know this is a PITA for them and they won't have the staff or time to go searching through people's belongings. But you'd think if this only happened to a few people who ask for a towel chek rather than being charged $25, they might accommodate them.

Archived