Can I display American Flag on our balcony

1937olds

I cannot imagine even thinking about taking a flag on my vacation, let alone flying it from my balcony. Would you do the same for a stay in a hotel???? It seems like a very odd thing to do. Perhaps you could just tape your passport to window.

Ever since the major fire on the Star Princess (2006) which destroyed over 150 cabins and resulted in the death of a passenger all the cruise lines have been very sensitive about anything left on a balcony. The Star Princess fire was most likely caused by a cigarette that landed on a balcony and started a chain of events that led to a major fire. Most cruise lines now also make it a point of telling passengers not to prop open their balcony doors since a tossed cigarette can easily be sucked into a cabin and cause a fire.

Hank

Ships are "flagged" with the country that they are registered in...

X boards are especially fiery because of their focus on "cruising traditions" and what not. Couldn't this potentially be seen as offensive to the crew/officers onboard who are sailing a ship say registered in Malta?

Keep your flag on your front lawn....

Ok so you fasten it to the balcony rails with ties ties, etc nothing says you cant fly it, it is not wrong, however, if you fly it at night you must have a light shining on it, so fly it proudly during the day but bring it in. We have flown a small one 2 by 3 feet on numerous occasions.

I must admit that I have never heard that information about not having stuff on the balcony, perhaps it has been said and I do pay attention at the muster drills

Bottom line if you have it secured properly and displayed properly, PRESS ON

Pete

Despite the no smoking rule, people are still smoking on balconies and throwing their butts overboard. I know because I was hit on the head by a lit butt on my Solstice cruise, and I woke up every morning to find at least 3 butts on my balcony. Any fabric is a fire hazard and imagine what would happen if a cigarette butt flew onto that flag. It would ignite in an instant. If you want to fly a flag, see if you can hang it inside your cabin from the balcony window.

On the Summit this past October, several passengers WERE fined for smoking on their veranda. We happened to be talking to the hotel manager when she got a call from the conceirge desk, I believe the fine was $ 250 US.

Doug

IMO, you can show yourself as a proud American better by being a gracious and courteous visitor as you interact with the people of the foreign place that you are in. No need to advertise your country of origin, everyone will be able to tell where you're from as soon as you start speaking.

Actually, I was going to purchase a 3x5 flag of each country we are sailing to on the 01/03/11 Millie Southern Caribbean and display them from the balcony while in port each day but the damn shipping was too high :). Why would I do this ---- because it struck me as both fun and respectful.. I have given up asking why people like to do what they do --- usually it is none of my business.

I suggest you show your patrotism in your actions such as treating others kindly, and speaking well of our hosts in the various ports and such.

IMO, you can show yourself as a proud American better by being a gracious and courteous visitor as you interact with the people of the foreign place that you are in. No need to advertise your country of origin, everyone will be able to tell where you're from as soon as you start speaking.

As an American living abroad, I couldn't agree more.

Better than what we saw in Barcelona one day on a B2B. Someone had hung their undies, lots of undies, on the balcony --- on the side of the ship facing the cruise terminal. As people were boarding they were treated to a display of all white "flags" waving in the breeze :)

When this happened on Eclipse, we mentioned it to the Hotel Director as we felt it spoilt the look of the ship; he immediately reacted, not because of the image but because of the fire risk. The occupants were visited and asked to remove the items.

They were very clear on Eclipse, leaving items like clothing drying unattended on the balcony was a fire hazard. Like Kitty we too became all too aware how real that might be when cigarette butts landed on our balcony. Security dealt with it very well, but with that in mind no way would I have a flag or any items drying on my balcony

The answer is simple: NO

You are on a vessel that is registered in the EU (Malta). You do not have the permission from Celebrity Cruises nor from the Captain to raise a flag not belonging to either Celebrity, State of Registry (Malta) or country where the vessel is situated.

It is simply insulting to the country you are visiting and unappropriate Nationalism to show a foreign National flag from your balcony.

I have never heard that at a muster drill, ever. I couldn't get through a week if I couldn't dry undies out there, not to mention wet bathing suits and my husband's workout clothes. Of course we always secure everything by sticking them through the slats in the chairs.

Have you ever noticed that little thingy in your shower that you pull on and it has a string on it, and then you can connect to that doodad in the wall on the other side of the shower?

There's a reason they went to the trouble and expense to put those there.

Have you ever noticed that little thingy in your shower that you pull on and it has a string on it, and then you can connect to that doodad in the wall on the other side of the shower?

There's a reason they went to the trouble and expense to put those there.

Unfortunately these aren't in S-Class ships.

current season. I visit a paper goods store and purchase those vinyl door decorations or cardboard cutouts and tape something to our balcony door. I also put something small and tasteful on our stateroom door so that it is easier to recognize when returning to our stateroom late in the evening. I ask the attendant if they have any problems with my decorations. I have frequently displayed our flag (in a small size) on the balcony door. Sometimes we can see the window when leaving the ship on excursions and sometimes we cannot. I do not overdo it so the view is not obscured. It is done for us not anyone else.

We were in a promenade view room on the Liberty with our children and decorated our windows to the promenade with sea inspired decorations. They looked like a nice aquarium from the floor. As long as no rules are broken, it is not a hazard to anyone else (nor offensive!) we enjoy the decorations. They are flat and light and pack easily in our suitcase. We also take them home and used again during home celebrations so I do not create extra trash.

Yes, I have been known to hang garments on the balcony to dry but they are (usually) removed while the ship is moving. We lost my husbands bathing trunks (forgot they were out there) on one cruise so we are extra careful to double check the balcony at sail away.

Happy cruising all!!

Apart from being verboten on most cruise lines that I have been on (including Millennium a week ago), I think that it is very disrespectful to the people in the countries that you are visiting. It is another of one those things that can give US tourists a bad name. The best place for this display of patriotism is at home-IMHO. And at the end of the day who wants to be bothered packing all those bits and pieces.

Then you haven't been paying attention. They've clearly stated this during every muster drill of every X cruise I have taken. And it makes good sense too.

Also every Princess, Carnival, NCL and RCI I've ever taken!

Apart from being verboten on most cruise lines that I have been on (including Millennium a week ago), I think that it is very disrespectful to the people in the countries that you are visiting. It is another of one those things that can give US tourists a bad name. The best place for this display of patriotism is at home-IMHO. And at the end of the day who wants to be bothered packing all those bits and pieces.

I tend to agree with this reasoning. Similarly, I don't wear any of my MANY patrotic tee shirts and hats when in a foreign country. If it was the Olympics it would be one thing, but we are guests in another's country.

Before anyone questions my patriotism, I voluntarily served in Vietnam with the Special Forces, and would answer the call again if asked. I keep a pair of combat boots by my front door as a symbol of my willingness to serve my country, fly the USA flag at home, and stand at attention with my hand over my heart and sing the national anthem out loud at sporting events and anywhere else it is played.

So, while I applaud the OP's love of the USA, I don't feel displaying the US flag on a cruise ship is appropriate.

Happy Sails to You

OOOEEE :D:D Bob and Phyl

Agree wvuFan but it's kind of sad that you'd have to 'explain' that you are patriotic when you are suggesting someone not fly a national flag from their balcony...I guess its a sign of the times.

By the way, unless I've missed it, I don't think the OP has come back and responded to some of the legit questions raised. It is kind of forum etiquette (sp?) to at least thank those that take the time to respond, and certainly respond to questions your thread has raised. Oh well.....

Denny

I tend to agree with this reasoning. Similarly, I don't wear any of my MANY patrotic tee shirts and hats when in a foreign country. If it was the Olympics it would be one thing, but we are guests in another's country.

Before anyone questions my patriotism, I voluntarily served in Vietnam with the Special Forces, and would answer the call again if asked. I keep a pair of combat boots by my front door as a symbol of my willingness to serve my country, fly the USA flag at home, and stand at attention with my hand over my heart and sing the national anthem out loud at sporting events and anywhere else it is played.

So, while I applaud the OP's love of the USA, I don't feel displaying the US flag on a cruise ship is appropriate.

Happy Sails to You

OOOEEE :D:D Bob and Phyl

Why on earth would anyone question your patriotism? I think you explained yourself very well and made some extremely valid points, unlike some of the buffoons that post on these boards.

Archived