city short

IMO, you will probably be cold. I can't comment whether or not they are allowed but I've found the dining room to always be FREEZING to the point I need a heavy sweater and nothing less than a long dress or capris.

Technically the dress code states no shorts in the dining room. However, I have a suspicion that if you have on city shorts with a nice shoe (strappy sandals, slingbacks, etc.) and a nice top you could get in without a problem.

I agree with the other poster that said they were always cold in the dining room. :)

The city shorts I am talking about are made out of dress pant material and come to the knee

No worries... you'll be fine. I think RCCL is trying to make the cruise experience as pleasant for their passengers as possible. Mattj2000 is right on- especially with his last comment. Have fun. Enjoy.

No worries... you'll be fine. I think RCCL is trying to make the cruise experience as pleasant for their passengers as possible. Mattj2000 is right on- especially with his last comment. Have fun. Enjoy.

See, I don't really look at it that way. I think they are just trying to not create a scene by turning away some of the clods who don't know how to adhere to rules (dress codes aside, shorts are against the rules). Sad commentary IMHO.

See, I don't really look at it that way. I think they are just trying to not create a scene by turning away some of the clods who don't know how to adhere to rules (dress codes aside, shorts are against the rules). Sad commentary IMHO.

I would rather dine with clods than SNOBS.

I don't consider myself a clod for wanting to wear a nice pair of city shorts and a dressy top to dinner.

Talk to my human resources department. Back when "city shorts" were in style (are they back?), a few people thought they were fine to wear to our fairly casual office even though they were on the list of unacceptable items - these people were sent home to change.

And I don't feel it is snobbish to adhere to a few rules but rather respectful of my fellow diners.

The DH usually does not wear his silk city shorts....but does consider his prom dress if he shaves his legs!! :eek: :eek: ;) :D :D :D

I say "if you have to ask"...perhaps you feel uncomfortable from the start. Why not just wear a nice pair of dress slacks. Why push the envelope anyway??

There is nothing wrong with a pair of dressy shorts! My DD and I were shopping the other day and she got a pair of fairly short dressy shorts and a sequined tank top and a long vest (as long as the shorts) that is very contemporary looking. Pair that with a pair of cute strappy sandals and some jewelry. The style for teens these days is to wear a pair of tights/stockings with them. IMHO, it's no different than wearing a shorter length skirt and very appropriate. When I saw her in the outfit - my first thought was that it was perfect for dinner on the cruise!:)

My husband wears bermuda shorts with white dinner jacket, knee socks and dress shoes for formal nights when we've cruised to Bermuda. Looks great- no negative comments from staff or passengers. In fact he received many positive comments.

Mary

Hi! We are currently shopping, planning and packing for our upcoming cruise!:D Will be our family's 4th! I did do a lot of research on appropriate dinning room attire for our first cruise and determined that we would all feal most comfortable knowing that we were following RCCL's suggestions for formal nights/dinning room! I am glad we did because now we all just know what we will be expected to wear! No debates (from 14 yo ds)!;) I do think it is less stressful to just plan/pack to be appropriate, then no second guessing!:confused: I also think dressing up for a cruise is very fun! Something we don't do at home!

Dress code is not "rules" but "suggested dress". If you want to wear dress shorts, you can do so. No one is going to deny you entrance to the MDR.

True, the dress code is not "rules" - however, there are actual rules and one of the is no shorts in the MDR at dinner. No matter how "cute" YOU might think you look in them, they are not permitted by rule like it or not.

A female can get away with "city shorts" but a guy would not (in his shorts). Case in point, on our Explorer cruise in 2009 I was able to walk into dining room with nice burmuda length shorts on with no problem, however my husband was stopped with his just above the knee shorts and had to go change. This happened twice and we just quite going to the dining room. He was dressed nice with a button down shirt so it wasn't like he just had a t shirt on. But they allowed others in wearing sweats and sports jerseys. Go figure.

Taken from RCI web page:

Suggested guidelines for these nights are:

con_bulletgray_ico.gif

Casual: Sport shirts and slacks for men, sundresses or pants for women

con_bulletgray_ico.gifSmart Casual: Jackets and ties for men, dresses or pantsuits for women

con_bulletgray_ico.gifFormal: Suits and ties or tuxedos for men, cocktail dresses for women

Remember, shorts, T-shirts, and bathing suits are not considered appropriate attire in the dining rooms at dinner. Casual dress dining is available nightly in the Windjammer Cafe.

If we are to strictly follow these guidelines[ not rules] as some are suggesting then skirts and capris are not recommened I have seen women wear very short mini skirts and very low cut tops.I have also seen men with dress pants and a nice t-shirt[no collar].I am talking about wearing knee length dress shorts not short daisy dukes or even bermunda shorts.

Archived