Master Chef Dinner and offensive boors

SAN415

not possible. EVERYONE is served at the same time.

Yes, and don't arrive late, as the doors are closed when the festivities begin. So if you don't like the times for the early and late seatings, don't think you can just say "oops" and go in at a time of your own choosing.

To be fair, the timing is made very clear on the night before. At least, it's explained to people in the MDR. I wonder if people who dined elsewhere the night before the MCD have been susrprised to be turned away when they expected open seating times on the last night? I think the info is in the daily program, but people are careless about reading the details...

I'll sit through it because I don't want to miss the last night in the MDR.

I clap, wave my napkin, whatever. I am not enamored of the menu.

On our last cruise in January, they did not have the MCD. They did have the parade of the Baked Alaska, which was fine. Our grandson loved it! :)

I have never seen people acting boorishly at the MCD. And I don't think it would be fair to assume that those who complain about the event here on CC would act rudely during the dinner. To me, someone sitting with arms crossed and a scowl shows very immature behavior. What next - a full-fledged tantrum on the floor?!!!

Mr Chew & I arrived barely in time for the MCD the last night of our Statendam cruise ... picked up the menu ... it was very limited and there was not one single thing on it that either of us wanted to eat, the usual alternatives were not offered ... so we made a quick exit (we had seen the wait staff lining up and realized we needed to get out before they started their show) and ate elsewhere.

Next cruise we'll know to avoid this evening altogether. No matter what night it is. While we certainly would like to support the hard-working staff, and would applaud & cheer them on, and might even wave our napkins in the air!, that meal just isn't worth it!! for us ...

Lady Chew, feel free to check with me the day before on our cruise together on the Prinsendam - we will get our menu the day before and can let you know what's on it and if it's set to be a MCD;) (there are some advantages to suites ;))

Prinsendam does not have Master Chef's Dinner like the other ships, so it shouldn't be an issue.

I'll be on her in May and will let you know if there is a change, but shouldn't be a problem.

Also, on any ship, if you approach the reservations desk that is generally set up by Canaletto, they should be able to tell you if/when there is a MCD. At least, that's what we've found.

I agree with the OP that to sit at dinner and complain is rude. No doubt about it.

I do not, agree, however, that one must put on the hat and wave the napkin in order *not* to be rude.

I smile. I clap. I smile more broadly as our waiter comes by. I've even been known to ooh and ahh as I picked at the Baked Alaska. I'm sure that no one can tell that I could really do without the event.

However, I don't wear hats. Ever. Even in the coldest of cold snaps. I don't like the way they make my head feel. So, regardless of the circumstances, I'm not wearing the hat.

I also don't want to wave the napkin, so I don't.

I don't believe that refraining from these things connotes rudeness. I'm pointing this out, because there seems to be a fairly wide range of what people believe to be the minimum standard for accepatable behavior.

Prinsendam does not have Master Chef's Dinner like the other ships, so it shouldn't be an issue.

I'll be on her in May and will let you know if there is a change, but shouldn't be a problem.

Also, on any ship, if you approach the reservations desk that is generally set up by Canaletto, they should be able to tell you if/when there is a MCD. At least, that's what we've found.

The Prinsendam did have the CD when we were on last summer.

I agree with the OP that to sit at dinner and complain is rude. No doubt about it.

I do not, agree, however, that one must put on the hat and wave the napkin in order *not* to be rude.

I smile. I clap. I smile more broadly as our waiter comes by. I've even been known to ooh and ahh as I picked at the Baked Alaska. I'm sure that no one can tell that I could really do without the event.

However, I don't wear hats. Ever. Even in the coldest of cold snaps. I don't like the way they make my head feel. So, regardless of the circumstances, I'm not wearing the hat.

I don't believe that refraining from these things connotes rudeness. I'm pointing this out, because there seems to be a fairly wide range of what people believe to be the minimum standard for accepatable behavior.

I see nothing wrong with what you describe! Hardly rude IMO.

On our recent Noordam cruise we attended the MCD. I did not notice any rude people. Many of us did not care for the menu or ceremonies but were polite and still enjoyed ourselves. Did the OP see rude behavior at the MCD? If so I agree such behavior should be addressed and we should certainly talk about it here at Cruise Critic. Also, if we think the dinner shoud be changed or eliminated, this is a good arena to discuss it!!!

I think the point that was made, that many have glossed over is manners .

Whether you are in a venue you love or hate, have the good manners as an adult to remain polite and sentive to others feelings. Remember it is not about you.

Gentelmen and ladies recognize this and remain cordial and respectful of others. There is always something positive to say, on the other hand some people think that the louder they protest indicates a level of wordly

sophistication and their obvious high tastes.

Manners can be rewarding, fun even.;)

Got off the Maasdam a week or so ago - There were no chef hats! Also I had a hard time deciding which of the lovely menu items to choose. By the way, my DH and I have been on over 20 cruises all around the world (not world cruises, just cumulative) of which 3 have been on HAL.

I think the point that was made, that many have glossed over is manners .

Whether you are in a venue you love or hate, have the good manners as an adult to remain polite and sentive to others feelings. Remember it is not about you.

Gentelmen and ladies recognize this and remain cordial and respectful of others. There is always something positive to say, on the other hand some people think that the louder they protest indicates a level of wordly

sophistication and their obvious high tastes.

Manners can be rewarding, fun even.;)

I've read the OP several times, and I find what is said a little confusing.

It implies she witnessed boorish behavior when she was aboard the ship - but then she refers to discussions on this board that are negative about the MCD.

I don't think one can assume the people on this board, who really dislike the MCD, are the ones misbehaving on the ship! And I am not 100 percent sure she is implying they are one and the same.

Yes, it is very bad form to complain loudly throughout the meal/performance, and those who are really opposed to the event should just skip the whole thing rather than be rude and perhaps put a damper on the celebration for those who are having fun.

As a poster above said, you don't have to wear the hat or wave the napkin -- and that is not rude behavior in the least!

But loudly voicing negativity - that is very rude. :eek:

So long as you're not being rude to the waiters or being a grumpy spoil sport for those at your table, I see nothing wrong with not wearing the hat or waving the napkin. I don't normally wave the napkin myself, but I don't mind wearing the hat so I do. Ditto on clapping, laughing, etc. I can usually accommodate myself to it, and pick my way through the menu as well. Again, it's not my favorite event -- I don't particularly like it and will avoid if when/where I can -- but I want to attend the last night in the MDR more than I want to avoid the MCD, so on those occasions where its on the last night I go ahead and attend and try to enjoy myself as much as I can. Hey ... it's dinner on a ship at sea! I'm not cooking, I'm not cleaning up ... that, in and of itself, makes it better than nine-tenths of my on-land dinners!

Interesting that you had the MCD on the Prinsendam last summer. We did not, and ours was the cruise after yours (I THINK it was the cruise after yours ... there may have been a couple of weeks in-between). Or, at least, they didn't have it on the last night of our cruise. Perhaps they had it on a different night and we just lucked out and were in the Pinnacle by chance that evening? That's possible.

I think the MCD is silliness as well, but I can play along. I don't wear the hat however, because I get hat head from just looking at one.:eek:

The waiters are just doing their job and somehow in the midst of all the silliness they manage to provide me with a meal I didn't have to cook.

I think the people who get nasty with the staff because of the dinner have lost sight of just how privileged they are to be able to cruise. I am sure there are any number of Japanese people right now who would be very happy to have a decent meal served by waiters even if those waiters were standing on their heads. :confused:

Having said that, it would not break my heart if there were no MCD on our upcoming cruise.

We just got off the Eurodam. I was pleasantly surprised to see a more extensive menu for the MCD on the last night of the cruise. We were able to choose two of the three appetizers, and a soup instead of salad, and there were four or five entrees. We did go with Baked Alaska and didn't check if we could have ordered something else.

I asked our waiter about the changes (since our last experience last summer), and he said they were trying something new in the last couple weeks. The timing was a little chaotic but more adaptable. Some people left before the Baked Alaska was paraded, although some had already been brought out.

I thought it was a reasonable compromise for the last night of the cruise. There were just a few kinks that can probably be worked out easily. Like Rev Neal, we don't like to avoid the dining room on the last night of the cruise.

So long as you're not being rude to the waiters or being a grumpy spoil sport for those at your table, I see nothing wrong with not wearing the hat or waving the napkin. I don't normally wave the napkin myself, but I don't mind wearing the hat so I do. Ditto on clapping, laughing, etc. I can usually accommodate myself to it, and pick my way through the menu as well. Again, it's not my favorite event -- I don't particularly like it and will avoid if when/where I can -- but I want to attend the last night in the MDR more than I want to avoid the MCD, so on those occasions where its on the last night I go ahead and attend and try to enjoy myself as much as I can. Hey ... it's dinner on a ship at sea! I'm not cooking, I'm not cleaning up ... that, in and of itself, makes it better than nine-tenths of my on-land dinners!

Interesting that you had the MCD on the Prinsendam last summer. We did not, and ours was the cruise after yours (I THINK it was the cruise after yours ... there may have been a couple of weeks in-between). Or, at least, they didn't have it on the last night of our cruise. Perhaps they had it on a different night and we just lucked out and were in the Pinnacle by chance that evening? That's possible.

I don't know what the difference was. Yes, you boarded right after me.

As I have mentioned, three of our tablemates were British, one a well-travelled, VERY... well "British lady" in her 60's. At one point during the "festivities", I glanced over at her, and we exchanged "hey... what can you do?" looks. Not a word was said, but I *know* she was appalled. ;-)

Generally, I think it is poor manners to grumble through dinner about *anything*. It disrupts others' ability to enjoy themselves. I hate it, on the mainland, when I go out to dinner with people who complain about the prices, once we've settled on a restaurant. In Finland, a few years back, we went on a "Taste of Finland" ship excursion, where a significant number of people sat complaining about the traditional food served (one wonders what excursion they *thought* they signed up for!). On the only cruise where we did *not* like our tablemates, there was a woman who complained about anything and everything -- one day was too overcast, the next was too sunny... really!

I consider it my responsibility, as a member of the dinner party, to contribute positively, and to make everyone feel as comfortable as possible. Depending on the tablemates, that could mean different things (on the Prinsendam, our group *loved* having discussions about politics, which probably wouldn't have gone over as well with our group on the Rotterdam).

However, I believe, as someone just said, being a good tablemate does not mean that people can't, or shouldn't, express their disdain of the MCD, here or on the comment cards. I would rather not have it. I think it is a silly waste of time and energy, that a significant number of people either dislike, or don't really care about. Put Baked Alaska on the dessert menu for those who want it, and let the rest of it go, IMO.

That said, next time I travel HAL and have a MCD, I'll smile, laugh, and pick at my Baked Alaska, because it is the nice thing to do.

Very good post. And, quite honestly, I don't understand what all the fuss is about regarding the MCD. My opinion on the Maasdam was that the crew enjoyed it...something different than their usual routine. And, being the last night, we go because we have the opportunity to thank and tip our extraordinary waitstaff.

I think it's rather festive...the last night of the cruise.

I've never heard anyone make rude comments but, then, I guess I haven't listened. Glad I didn't....totally inappropriate.

I think part of the problem with the MCD is the name. You're expecting a menu designed by the MASTER CHEF! And then you get more limited choices than on an ordinary night, which is disappointing.

This is a very insightful comment. I wonder how much of the complaining would be eliminated if it were simply called the "Farewell Festival" or some such name that didn't imply it would be the fanciest meal of a cruise.

And I am absolutely thrilled to see the backlash here from those of us who do enjoy the MCD. I understand why some people wouldn't like it--goodness knows there are certain things about HAL cruises that I don't like either. But I don't log into every single thread and toot my horn about it.

Before my last HAL cruise (which was my second, but the first had been a good 8 years ago), I started reading these boards. I began to wonder what this dreaded MCD was all about. I was somewhat surprised when we didn't seem to have one on our cruise (Westerdam to Turkey, Israel, and Egypt).

I finally asked my parents (about to become 5-star Mariners) to explain about the MCD and why it's so abhorred. They had no idea what I was talking about. I tried to describe, as best I could from reading these boards, what I'd heard about it.

"Oh, that," they said, "We hardly notice it. Not a big deal at all."

:rolleyes:

I loathe the MCD:

The menu is far too limited and the service is terrible because of the mid-dinner "show" and yet it's hoped that we'll show appreciation to the service staff and hopefully give additional tips on the final night out? I'd much rather do that in my own sincere way with handshakes, well-wishes and extra tips than mass cheering and napkin twirling.

Yet what's worse is how when one asks nearly anyone on the first days aboard ship "Which night is the MCD" It's extremely unlikely anyone will say for absolutely certain - almost as if they have been instructed to stall in order to artificially maintain numbers in the dining room that night by allowing the other venues to book up before they divulge "Oh, the MCD is the evening of (blank)..." C'Mon, the ship has done this itinerary for months - SOMEBODY should remember from a couple weeks back which night the MCD is...

...and when you question of the Asst Maitre'd or a Dining Room Manager - the conversation often seems to follow along the lines of, "Why do you want to know?"

"Because I don't like the MCD and I want to make reservations to dine elsewhere."

"Really? Have you ever been to one?"

"Yes, and I didn't enjoy it."

"Really? Everyone else seems to like it"

"Well, I don't."

"What don't you like about it?"

"I don't like the menu and I don't like how the show interrupts dinner service"

"Really? Everyone else seems to like it."

:cool:

...then towards the end of the cruise, the same Maitre'd or a Dining Room Manager comes to the table towards the end of the meal and asks, "So, is everyone coming to the MCD tomorrow night?"

"No, my family and I are not"

"Oh, where will you be?"

"We're dining in Pinnacle"

"Don't you like the MCD?"

"No, we don't"

"Really? Everyone seems to like it."

:cool:

A couple of years ago, after reading the bad posts about this, we asked the Neptune concierge what night it was. She shuffled through papers and said it hadn't been determined. Every day we asked in the Pinnacle and had the same answer. So, bepsf is quite right -- they wouldn't commit. We went to it for the first time; next cruise we chose to dine in Cantanellos (sp) and this next cruise which is a year away, I made a reservation for Pinnacle for the last night.

We certainly aren't rude, but at the same time we like to dine in an atmosphere that is quiet (except for a happy table) and elegant. HAL is all that, except for one night each cruise. ;) If we are able to make alternate dining arrangements, we do; if not, we will go to the MCD and behave ourselves, but will not twirl napkins in the air.

I loathe the MCD:

The menu is far too limited and the service is terrible because of the mid-dinner "show" and yet it's hoped that we'll show appreciation to the service staff and hopefully give additional tips on the final night out? I'd much rather do that in my own sincere way with hand shakes, well-wishes and extra tips than mass cheering and napkin twirling.

Well said, We totally agree!

" almost as if they have been instructed to stall in order to artificially maintain numbers in the dining room that night by allowing the other venues to book up before they divulge"

As I said in another topic, I've never cruised with HAL, but have been to similar "celebrations" in other lines, and I didn't like them, but, if what I can't understand is a company insisting on keep it if the majority of their customers dislike it too.

So, my point is: probably the many passengers (probably more than 70%) enjoy this kind of dinner

Archived