Ever get a bargain cabin as a "walk up"?

trk_koa

We were vacation shopping in May for September 2011. We found some great airfare and a cruise on Infinity that we'd like to do. But the cabin prices for balconies and above seemed a bit steep.

We gambled that the price of a cabin would go down after final payment or closer in. We made a back up plan with a rental car for a road trip ( i.e. we bought the plane tickets)

Well, our gamble failed and the cruise prices went up after final payment due dates and shows sold out almost every other day. Occasionally a cabin or two shows up but at significantly higher than the price was back in May.

So my question is this. Is it worth going to the cruise terminal the day of sailing and asking? Anybody ever done that and succeeded in getting a nice cabin for a good price?

So my question is this. Is it worth going to the cruise terminal the day of sailing and asking? Anybody ever done that and succeeded in getting a nice cabin for a good price?

No.

In most cases the passenger list must be submitted for security reasons at least two days prior to sailing.

We have been on board and were willing to stay longer but the company would not lower the posted rates for extending our stay..

About 2 yrs ago I booked a RC cruise a few days prior and was told that reservations closed at 3PM on the dot the day before. X probably has a similar policy. The prices dropped that week but that doesn't usually happen on a high-selling cruise.

There's no place to book, and pay for, a cruise in the terminal. Some line's, like Carnival, will allow a booking on the morning of departure, but you have to call Carnival to book it. No line allows walk up bookings anymore.

Modern day urban legend.

It may have happened in the past but that is also questionable.

Today I don't think it would be worth the trouble for the cruise lines to sell any left over cabins. Think about it. The people buying them are bargain shoppers and chances are won't spend any extra dollars on board so why would you want to reward or accomodate them?

No.

In most cases the passenger list must be submitted for security reasons at least two days prior to sailing.

FYI: The passenger manifest must submit to DHS 45 minutes prior to sailing. Hence the reason as to why everyone must check in one hour before the ship sails.

Guess we will just keep looking at it up until we leave.

As for being a bargain hunter and not spending money on board, I can show them our SS United States and bar bill from March :) We seriously like the martini bar :D

Thanks for the insight

Nancy

I'm curious...has anyone here ever actually done a walk-up cruise in the past? So many people have told me they heard that it was done or they knew somebody who did it but I've never heard directly from someone who actually did it.

If you did this, I'd love to hear your story! How did it work? Did you go to terminal where the ship was with your luggage and ask to book a cruise? Was there a last minute cruise agency building in the port? Was the price any better than if you had booked the week before?

On two occasions, a friend of ours wanted to continue on the ship when we were doing a B2B and he had only booked the first part. Both times the quoted fare was what they were charging currently and significantly higher than what we had booked it at several months out. He had researched on board before asking to ascertain there were several empty cabins available in all categories. He offered to pay what the going price was when he originally booked.

No sale, no bargain (lol).

Tucker in Texas

In January of 2010, I called Costa Cruises on Thursday and booked a cabin fro that Saturday's sailing. Booked a balcony cabin for a 7 night cruise below the listed price. While on board, we asked mid cruise if there were any available cabins for the next week and if we could stay onboard. THey said they would have to check corporate for availability. They phoned us about an hour later and said we could have a balcony cabin for about 15% less than we paid for the current cruise. We said book us!!!! They called us down to the pursers desk about 20 minutes later and said opps.... sorry.... the balcony cabin was already booked.... but we can offer you the grand suite for the same previously quoted price. Obviously we graciously ACCEPTED!! So actually got the grand suite for a little less than the balcony we were currently in which was already a bargin!

I booked on Summit in January the DAY before...i was told by the agent that everything had to be finished by ABOUT noon!

Got a rate of less than $100 per day for an OV, but i had my choice of maybe 2 cabins...however i loved my cabin....

I actually booked the whole thing via the LIVE CHAT feature (i used the RCCL one as the =X= on didn't work, but all was well...) while on an AMTRAK train....

Booked my air to SJU too (from RIC on jetBlue....had a free flight one way...)

btw: by dinner on the 1st night, i'd booked a second leg of a b2b...and by Monday of week 1, booked a 3rd and final.....similar prices, and i got the OBC too! The HD was ready to give me a contract and a name tag...LOL

I booked on Summit in January the DAY before...i was told by the agent that everything had to be finished by ABOUT noon!

Got a rate of less than $100 per day for an OV, but i had my choice of maybe 2 cabins...however i loved my cabin....

I actually booked the whole thing via the LIVE CHAT feature (i used the RCCL one as the =X= on didn't work, but all was well...) while on an AMTRAK train....

Booked my air to SJU too (from RIC on jetBlue....had a free flight one way...)

btw: by dinner on the 1st night, i'd booked a second leg of a b2b...and by Monday of week 1, booked a 3rd and final.....similar prices, and i got the OBC too! The HD was ready to give me a contract and a name tag...LOL

Hi Meg:) great story. I remember asking you about it in Michael's

Club;)

Also, anyone booking Celebrity should be aware you are not allowed to smoke ON YOUR OWN BALCONY.

You say that like it's a bad thing.;)

Celebrity's smoking policy is fairly common knowledge, especially on the Celebrity board. It's a major reason for many in favor of cruising with X.

Also, anyone booking Celebrity should be aware you are not allowed to smoke ON YOUR OWN BALCONY.

Perhaps that policy was introduced because certain smokers exhaled and allowed their smoke to escape their balcony. ;)

The carelessness of certain smokers and the threat of fire is greatly reduced when this policy is enforced. We truly appreciate Celebrity's effort in this regard.

How did we ever make the transition from last minute booking to warning smokers that they should not try it on X? (sorry)

That may have been possible years ago, but not now. Also, anyone booking Celebrity should be aware you are not allowed to smoke ON YOUR OWN BALCONY.

Yes, you are correct and it makes it so nice for those folks who

are allergic or those folks who just don't like the smell. They can

sit on THEIR OWN BALCONY without those issues anymore:) The policy

has been in effect for 2 or 3 years now:)

There are many things potential cruisers should be aware of, from smoking policies, to liquor policies, to gratuities, to dress codes, to OBC and how to use it, and the list goes on and on. But back to the topic, I didn't do this myself, as I don't live in Florida, but I did speak to one couple who said that they used to keep a bag packed and on a whim would sometimes drive to the pier and ask if there were any empty staterooms. This was about ten years ago or so. Sometimes they took impromptu four and five night cruises, at some pretty good fares. But this all came to an end after 9/11, they told me, although they said that they still take last minute (about three days' notice) cruises from time to time.

There are many things potential cruisers should be aware of, from smoking policies, to liquor policies, to gratuities, to dress codes, to OBC and how to use it, and the list goes on and on. But back to the topic, I didn't do this myself, as I don't live in Florida, but I did speak to one couple who said that they used to keep a bag packed and on a whim would sometimes drive to the pier and ask if there were any empty staterooms. This was about ten years ago or so. Sometimes they took impromptu four and five night cruises, at some pretty good fares. But this all came to an end after 9/11, they told me, although they said that they still take last minute (about three days' notice) cruises from time to time.

Cruisestitch, I have heard the same thing. Wonder if we chatted with

the same people:D;)

Archived