Mexico on Royal Caribbean

modmidget

What has happened to the cruises to Mexico on RCCL from Los Angeles? They don't even list Mexico as a destination on their web site.

My wife and I have been on four cruises to Mexico and really enjoyed them. We can drive to Los Angeles in 6 hours and the round trip cost for gas is less than $150.00. It's far cheaper than cruises that require flying.

"Royal Caribbean Clarifies Decision on Mariner of the Seas’ Deployment Change

There have been many posts from loyal guests who are unhappy about our decision to move Mariner of the Seas out of Los Angeles next January. We truly wish we could justify the ship remaining in LA, but we are unable to do so. Many of the comments have focused on how much people value the ship being there and/or the ship being routinely full. There is no question that there are tens of thousands of loyal Royal Caribbean cruisers who live in the Western U.S. and cruise on Mariner of the Seas. And yes, she does normally go out full. Unfortunately, it is possible for both of these observations to be true and yet the ship does not perform at an acceptable level to be able to remain in California. Throughout the industry, ships normally go out full. The critical question is at what price? Royal Caribbean has tried multiple ships over multiple decades at various lengths of cruises in California. We may very well try again in the future as we would love to be back on the West Coast. But for now we are unable to generate acceptable levels of performance for Mariner of the Seas. We are obligated to our shareholders to deploy her where she can earn superior returns.

BY:Adam|4th May, 2010 "

From AG's blog

Actully that is not the reason.

.....or at least some Royal Caribbean staff people thought so when they told me that on one of their last Mexican cruises.

If you notice the other cruiselines that still go into Mexico keep changing their destinations in Mexico based on news reports.

We have a 10 day Princess cruise out of San Francisco to Mexico on hold for next April.

They have already changed their destinations once since we booked but said they might change back.

We have friends going in December & their Mexican ports have also changed.

"Royal Caribbean Clarifies Decision on Mariner of the Seas’ Deployment Change

There have been many posts from loyal guests who are unhappy about our decision to move Mariner of the Seas out of Los Angeles next January. We truly wish we could justify the ship remaining in LA, but we are unable to do so. Many of the comments have focused on how much people value the ship being there and/or the ship being routinely full. There is no question that there are tens of thousands of loyal Royal Caribbean cruisers who live in the Western U.S. and cruise on Mariner of the Seas. And yes, she does normally go out full. Unfortunately, it is possible for both of these observations to be true and yet the ship does not perform at an acceptable level to be able to remain in California. Throughout the industry, ships normally go out full. The critical question is at what price? Royal Caribbean has tried multiple ships over multiple decades at various lengths of cruises in California. We may very well try again in the future as we would love to be back on the West Coast. But for now we are unable to generate acceptable levels of performance for Mariner of the Seas. We are obligated to our shareholders to deploy her where she can earn superior returns.

BY:Adam|4th May, 2010 "

From AG's blog

...but we were on the Mariner twice in the last 1 1/2 years & she was full both times.

The reason for no CURRENT West Coast Mexican Riviera cruises is that there are several reasons. There is no simple answer.

1) RCI cited they wasn't getting the numbers, financially.

2) RCI has opened new ports in other countries with these ships.

3) There is the aspect of crime in the Mexican Riviera ports to deal with. Some cruise lines have pointed this out and perhaps other CC posters can point out the RCI announcements on this.

4) plus other reasons not yet identified by us outsiders

5) no current cruises scheduled does not mean RCI is gone for good

...but we were on the Mariner twice in the last 1 1/2 years & she was full both times.

But full does not mean people are spending money. In order to be profitable ships need folks to spend $$$.

Other lines might be changing ports but they are not leaving. RCI did not change ports they left. While the violence may have played a small part the almighty $$$$$ was the the prime motivator.

I will add that we did at least 2 cruises where we paid less than $450 (with our discount) for a balcony and on one we were upgraded to a GS. Full of low paying passengers does not make money.

She may have been full but the discounted fares that were required in order to fill the ships, and the reduced onboard spending that was experienced convinced RCI that they could operate Mariner much more profitably on other itineraries. Taking those facts into consideration in addition to medical problems and reported violence in Mexico and the limited itinerary possibilities, it should be obvious why RCI acted as it did. However, RCI is not alone in reducing or eliminating their West Coast cruises to Mexico. Research the cruise situation out of Long Beach and other California ports and you will find that NCL, Princess and others have dramatically reduced their presence.

But full does not mean people are spending money. In order to be profitable ships need folks to spend $$$.

Other lines might be changing ports but they are not leaving. RCI did not change ports they left. While the violence may have played a small part the almighty $$$$$ was the the prime motivator.

I will add that we did at least 2 cruises where we paid less than $450 for a balcony and on one we were upgraded to a GS. Full of low paying passengers does not make money.

But other lines DID leave and there are far fewer cruises operating now than just a few years back. But when you are operating a "for profit" corporation, the "almighty dollar" has to be a primary motivator.

But other lines DID leave and there are far fewer cruises operating now than just a few years back. But when you are operating a "for profit" corporation, the "almighty dollar" has to be a primary motivator.

And I bet that Carnival is making a pretty penny on Paradise (soon to be Inspiration) and Splendor, now that Monarch, Vision and Mariner are gone. The cabin prices alone have gone way up, since there's no competition for the 3/4 nighters. I don't think Splendor is doing as well on the 7-night itineraries when other ships are in town.

RCI always seems to blink first (see, e.g., abandoning the R/T Hawaii cruises when it looked as if NCLA was going to succeed in changing the interpretation of the Passenger Services Act).

Not too terribly long ago, we sailed the Mariner of the Seas to Mexico the week after doing the same reversed itinerary on the Carnival Splendor. For whatever reason, the Mariner was far cheaper than the Splendor. Perhaps the market dictated that RCI had to charge a reduced fee in order to fill the ship while Carnival did not.

In any case, you can still go to Mexico. Just not on RCI at the moment. And although I'll probably get bashed for saying this, we enjoyed the Splendor cruise more. Goofy decorations and a few rowdy types but a much better orchestrated experience. The Mariner is a beautiful ship though.

I would like to thank everyone for your quick replies. With the current high prices to fly from Sacramento, CA to Miami or San Juan, Puerto Rico it looks like we'll not be cruising any time soon. The round trip flights are nearly as much as the cruises.

It looks like RCI has also discontinued their cruises through the Panama Canal. We were hoping to make that trip sometime in the next few years too.

She may have been full but the discounted fares that were required in order to fill the ships, and the reduced onboard spending that was experienced convinced RCI that they could operate Mariner much more profitably on other itineraries.

True. After discounts, my 11 night Radiance cruise in a D1 was a little over $600 per person.

This week diesel is running $1.00 to $1.50 more per gallon in California than in Florida at the gas stations. Don't know what kind of a price break the cruise lines are getting for buying huge quantities.

On our last cruise, 7 days to Mexico on Mariner, we paid about $750 per person for a balcony room. Royal Caribbean moved the ship to the Caribbean and they want $1150 for the same room. That price increase along with an air fare of $600 per person means a total increase of $2000.00 over what we paid for our last cruise. NO THANKS RCCL. I'll stay home.

I was told that another reason that Monarch left the west coast was the high cost of supplies, primarily fuel. Apparently they are able to get better fuel prices on the east coast and in the Bahamas.

It was not just fuel costs but fuel consumption as well. It is a long haul for a weekly milk run from LA to the first Mexican port. So fuel consumption per passenger is also higher.

I was told that another reason that Monarch left the west coast was the high cost of supplies, primarily fuel. Apparently they are able to get better fuel prices on the east coast and in the Bahamas.

I believe that they also had to burn a cleaner, more expensive diesel mix to comply with California pollution standards.

I've always been under the impression that the cruise ships like those long hauls at sea because they can keep their passengers on the ship where they will be spending their money at the bars as well as the "gift" shops. There is a BIG profit margin on booze, Cuban cigars, and clothing.

No RCI cruises to the Mexican Riviera and the sale Princess just had for a cruise date of Feb '12 prompted me to give them a try...After many many years of staying loyal to royal..I decided to spread my royal wings and fly away...At least for this cruise...;):D

Archived