Pancakes at Breakfast......

sail7seas

:) I always used to love a good pancake or two at breakfast but for at least the last ten or more years, they became a no-no in my diet. We sit in Pinnacle (or occassionally Lido) at breakfast and I see those delicious looking pancakes and I get oh so tempted but so far have resisted.

How good are they? :D Worth the calories? I always was stingy with the syrup so I don't over do that but whaddyathink? Should I try a pancake or two on next cruise?

What is your idea of the perfect HAL breakfast and how well do you think they make it?

Hasn't been a fun thread here for a bit so thought we could enjoy a little fluffiness...... (groan, that the fluffy in whatever way you wish. ;) :rolleyes::eek:

I'm only getting ready for my second HAL cruise, so I don't have much to offer, but I can say that I'm looking forward to another of those wonderful raison buns (or two or three or...) I've never considered pancakes to be such a no-no - especially if you're stingy with the syrup. Hey, everything in moderation is my rule of thumb! :D

This could be a fun thread when the other experienced ones chime in. Come on - tell us again about the chocolate croissants and eggs benedict! Then I'll make a list of all the things I MUST try next month!

I do try the pancakes on the various ships.

Mixed feelings about them. The chefs have their own recipes for the batter.

Some are excellent -- others -- terrible (hard to chew).

Sometimes they come out piping hot -- sometimes I have gotten cold ones and sent them back.

I am not a fan of syrup -- just regular butter -- not the sugary sweet stuff they sometimes bring in a tiny cup.

I could talk food all day!! DH loves waffles and pancakes and will splurge while on the ship...I'm more an egg person!

I try to stick with hard boiled eggs most days but will splurge with a spinach, mushroom and Brie omelet once during the cruise:D

At home never drink OJ..empty calories..but I HAVE to have the fresh squeezed on the ship..I tell myself it's okay:):)

Daughter in law loved the chocolate croissants on their last HAL cruise.

Not about breakfast...but where my will power goes is at dinner:D

Timing is everything with pancakes and the french toast. I like to watch and get them when they are just coming off the grill and yes I will stand there and wait. They are more than happy to oblige. The sugar free syrup is very good. Some of the specialty french toast is are really good. The best item has to be the raisin buns. We are currently on a 54 day diet so we are ready for our Eurodam raisin buns in Dec!

I love the egg white omelete with sun dried tomatoes, mushrooms, spinach and once in a while will have a bit of goat cheese on it. Delicious.

Not being as slim as I used to be and sailing as often as we do, the treats really have to be wonderful or I resent the waste of calories and fat.

Thought I'd do some 'consensus' research prior to our Nieuw Amsterdam cruise. :D I know I am going to have a few treats and I want them to be outstanding. ;)

If they had Swedish pancakes I would order them. Otherwise I stick to my boring cereal most of the time. And fresh squeezed OJ. And a pastry! I wish they had raspberries for my cereal. I think I got berries in Pinnacle but not in lido.

They often have some of those delicate raspberries but you may have to ask special for them. They also often have blackberries as well as the standard blueberries and strawberries.

:eek:Did you all have to mention pancakes. I won't even think about eating breakfast unless it involves pancakes, butter, waffles, butter, french toast and more butter. It's really all about the butter. Real Maple syrup is the only thing that should be allowed to touch a pancake other than, you guessed it! Butter. Fresh fruit on the side is fine if you want to justify the rest.

If you want to have fun with this thread then answer " Where in the world, other than on a cruise ship, did you have the absolute best pancakes?":rolleyes:

My hands down favorite. Heaton's Guest House in Dingle, Ireland.

Chris

If there is real maple syrup, I am all over them.

Oh, yes! Real maple syrup is the only kind worth using. :D

I have seen real maple syrup on the Prinsendam, but it runs out before the end of the cruise. The other ships have that awful fake imitation pancake syrup---not even the good imitation maple stuff! The sugar-free is better.

:eek:Did you all have to mention pancakes. I won't even think about eating breakfast unless it involves pancakes, butter, waffles, butter, french toast and more butter. It's really all about the butter. Real Maple syrup is the only thing that should be allowed to touch a pancake other than, you guessed it! Butter. Fresh fruit on the side is fine if you want to justify the rest.

If you want to have fun with this thread then answer " Where in the world, other than on a cruise ship, did you have the absolute best pancakes?":rolleyes:

My hands down favorite. Heaton's Guest House in Dingle, Ireland.

Chris

Best pancakes ever - Bow Valley Grill , Banff Springs Hotel, Banff, Alberta. Best pancakes ever, best overall breakfast buffet ever. Breakfast is my favourite meal

I'm not a pancake lover and usually have a boring breakfast of oatmeal, juice, and coffee. But, Sail, if you really want a treat, taste the creme brulee in The Pinnacle. It's really worth a few tastes.

Sorry if I took this thread off course.

If we obeyed and followed all of our Doctor's advise on a cruise; we would probably have a lousy time. Moderation is the key. Sail.. live on the wild side, have a pancake!;)

Yup....... THIS is the specific post that convinced me I am going to have TWO pancakes. What they hay..... I have a cardiologist appointment tomorrow and think I might even tell him. :eek: :D Hope it doesn't wreck his day as he's really a nice doctor. :) Oh well, he knows I try hard most of the time.

This will be my breakfast one morning of our 14 on Nieuw Amsterdam........ I shall have two pancakes, sugar free syrup, turkey bacon, a small bowl of berries and delicious coffee. You can't imagine how much I am looking forward to it.

I'm not a pancake lover and usually have a boring breakfast of oatmeal, juice, and coffee. But, Sail, if you really want a treat, taste the creme brulee in The Pinnacle. It's really worth a few tastes.

Sorry if I took this thread off course.

Carol....... I am EVER so grateful I have never had a taste for creme brulee. That is one sweet that is easy for me to say No, Thank you to. Whenever we dine with others at Pinnacle, there is always someone who savors their serving and it doesn't do a thing for me. I LOVE to not be tempted. :D

I'm also so happy I have gotten away from any craving for butter. I have so little now that if a chef puts it on when I ask for none, I truly can't eat the fish. I am thankful to have gotten used to not eating butter.

We were driving from Atlantic City, NJ to Philadelphia, PA. Hit a detour which took us through a little town in PA. Don't know the name of it. Got stuck in a traffic jam, decided to get breakfast until the gridlock lessened. There was a little coffee shop/diner with a counter and a few tables. Sat at the counter. Ordered pancakes. They overflowed the plate and soaked up the syrup. Superb! (We've looked at maps trying to figure out the name of the town so that we could return for the pancakes.)

I am going to try to be delicate here: pancakes and syrup are exactly what is needed if a traveler happens to have a little personal plumbing problem, like a stoppage........ if you get my drift!

I thought that's what the stewed prunes were for!!:eek:

We are not big breakfast eaters, but HAL is the only cruise line who can deliver Eggs benedict on room service and still be hot and have runny yokes. Also they have such delicious pastries.

When we want something like pancakes we generally prefer to get them in the lido buffet where we can have them made to order. In the MDR there is no way to know how long they sit under a hot light before the waiter picks up the order and then there is the additional time it takes for the waiter to get from the galley to your table. It is the same with Eggs Benedict (or any of the variations) where they have an eggs benedict station in the lido and we get them without the delays involved in dining room operations. There is also some strange variations between ships. For example, last spring we did a long cruise on the Prinsendam where they always had a large selection of high-end jams and real 100% maple syrup (these were in small individual glass containers). A few days after we got of the Prinsendam we were on a different cruise on the Rotterdam and they did not have these nice glass container products. On the Rotterdam the only "maple syrup" they had was the stuff that has no maple syrup :(

Hank

The absolute best breakfast we had on our recent cruise was the waffles with mixed berry compote. But once, and once only.

I guess I'm going to be complicit in contributing to the hijacking of the thread. Sorry, but I can't resist. The very best pancakes I've ever had was in the officers' club at Templehof Air Base in Berlin. I'm guessing they were made with sweetened condensed milk. Didn't even need to put syrup on them.

Holland is famous for it pannekoek or pannekoeken(plural). I don't think HAL has carried on this tradition? For those unfortunates who have never had the pleasure of eating these they are @ 12" around and thinner than regular pancakes. they're also moist and a little creamy in the centre. A couple eggs and some bacon on top and.......yummmm.

I haven't heard any great rants about the waffles. My wife could't avoid the Waffle Bar on Norwegian Sun. Best waffles ever. No such thing on HAL ships, eh?

All cruise ships should have real maple syrup!

Bob

Archived