How thin are the cabin walls on a cruise ship and sound questions

antman455

i was wondering if you had a standard cabin could you hear whats going on next door? like love making,loud music or just loud people in general? i think it would be kinda hard to make love on a ship without anyone hearing you:o also is there a door where it connects to the other room from inside your cabin? i would not like if your neighbor can just open the door or is it locked? if you have a room in the back of the ship near the engine can you hear it and feel the vibrations? i have talked to someone that had a cabin where she can hear the cooks from above. i would say it would be hard to sleep. im guessing the best place to have a cabin would be in the front.

This will vary by cruise ship.

On many ships you would not hear someone in the cabin next to yours but on some you might.

You could post on the cruise line board for the cruise ship you are considering.

It's always a good idea to look at the ships diagram to see what is above your cabin.

Keith

If you have a cabin with a connecting door, there will be a lock on both sides, so you lock it and no one drops in.

The only time we heard noise from next door was the one time we had a connectin cabin. the door apparently was not as sound proof as the walls.

We had never heard any noise previously in cabins until this year. Our cabin had a connecting door and although obviously locked we realised it isn't as sound-proof as other cabins. The couple next door were "hearing challenged" and we could hear every word and also every noise from their TV. Fortunately they went to bed early so they didn't keep us awake at night - they just woke us very early each morning.

I agree, in a cabin with a connecting door, sound seems to travel through the door more than the regular walls. If that's a problem, we just hang some of our clothes over the door (hook the hangers over the door frame) to muffle the sound.

Those doors are locked, though, so there's never a question of a neighbor being able to walk in.

Overall, noise is not usually a problem, unless you are right over or under a place like the disco. You can check the deck plans. Best location is under and over other passenger cabins.

On our last cruise we were woken up almost every morning by a crying baby. Usually between 4 and 5 am. The child would cry for about 15 minutes each time. The parents seemed like nice people and while it was very annoying we didn't feel there was any point in saying something to them. The child looked about 10 - 12 months old. Not much you can do when they decide to cry.

Or maybe that's why some people bring duct tape on cruises? ;)

Last cruise we were on (princess), had two hearing challenged couples, one on both sides of us. Didn't need to have the volume on, just could tune into the same channel on the tv.

Similar experience. The people next door either had a TV channel with constant monotone talking, or they were in their room almost 24 hours a day talking to each other. And loud enough to be heard almost constantly. No matter when we were in our room, we could here the muffled voices through the wall, whether it was 6:00 AM or midnight, it was always there. After three days I finally knocked on their door to ask if they would turn their TV down. And yep, they were there, and the TV was off! It was better for a couple of days, but we had to call the customer service desk twice more for help. Maybe they took the cruise to talk out some problems. They never seemed to leave their room.

This was a very unusual occurrence. We've sailed on the same ship in almost the same room before with zero noise problems.

I always bring soft, foam rubber ear plugs with me now. I bought some at Home Depot that have 32db sound resistance. They work really great!

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R-202080168/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

1c9f4746-20cd-4533-b3ef-d5350d822ecc_300.jpg

since cruising with NCL...9 cruises there was only one time we could hear noise from the other cabin--they were just VERY LOUD all the time-not just in their cabin but EVERYWHERE..

now on the other lines...CCL/RCCL and X we heard people in the other cabins.

i was wondering if you had a standard cabin could you hear whats going on next door? like love making,loud music or just loud people in general? i think it would be kinda hard to make love on a ship without anyone hearing you:o also is there a door where it connects to the other room from inside your cabin? i would not like if your neighbor can just open the door or is it locked? if you have a room in the back of the ship near the engine can you hear it and feel the vibrations? i have talked to someone that had a cabin where she can hear the cooks from above. i would say it would be hard to sleep. im guessing the best place to have a cabin would be in the front.

Ya know - We just got off of our first cruise and I have a funny story about that! We never heard our cabin mates on the first night. Didn't hear them come in or out so we took it that the rooms were fairly sound proof. So we decided it was safe to make love.

After 2 nights of that - I heard my neighbor sneeze.....:eek: and realized they must just have been trying to be quiet. And for the rest of the cruise I avoided doing that anymore - and avoided my neighbor at all costs. If I heard their sneeze - I know they heard us and our .... stuff.

Granted it was a LOUD sneeze. I'd say you will be good if you remember that it's possible to be heard- so try to keep yourself more quiet (like you would if your kids were down the hall). I just let all noise loose because it's not often we get the opportunity to not have to kind of "sneak" it! My bad!

On our Spring break 2009 on the NCL Dawn cruise our then 13 year old daughter heard the neighbours talking as they came in the cabin. It was absolutely hilarious to hear her reenactment of the whole event that ocured one night, the next day. Let's just say, she was really surprised that "spanking" was involved in that sort of thing.:eek:

We never travel without foam earplugs. Whether it's snoring, a dripping faucet, next-door neighbors, a room service cart in the hallway - they soften the noise even if they don't completely block it. They can also come in handy on your airplane flight it there's a screaming baby - unless it happens to be in your lap!

I've only been on one cruise so far, so I'm no expert, but we had no problem at all with noise on our voyage. We were on a 4 day cruise on the Carnival Ecstasy out of Galveston in January. We never heard a peep from our neighbors. We were in a balcony cabin. We did not have connecting doors. My kids were across the hall in an inside cabin and did not mention any noise problems either.

Nevertheless, I ALWAYS travel with good quality foam ear plugs. They don't cost much and it is SO worth the investment. Whether it is noise from the hallway, or other rooms, or your partner snoring, it is worth it to have some ear plugs handy.

On one cruise our 'cruise buddies' were awakend by the wind coming in the door of the balcony cabin ACROSS the hall from them. (They had an inside cabin.) When they told the people they were told they couldn't hear anything. They did call the front desk, more than once, and after two noisey nights, it stopped.

Only once could we hear a baby crying- in the middle of the night.

Maybe we should bring a loud tape of a big barking dog to play for noisey neighbors!

I would guess that the thinness/thickness of the walls between cabins varies a bit from one cruise ship to another. I don't recall ever hearing much from neighbors' cabins, only occasionally noisy folks in the hallway. Just to be on the safe side, you probably shouldn't break into an operatic aria after 10:00 p.m.:eek: As for making whoopee, hey, you're on vacation! If your neighbors can hear you, they'll either give you a thumbs up, or act prudish and glare at you. Just put a note on the door that says "If the ship's rockin', don't come knockin'". :D

Archived