Celebrity Cruises general party ship or not?

Maeshel

I am looking at an Alaskan southbound cruise for 2012. Celebrity is in the top 2 of my choices of ships The cruise will be with myself, wife sisters and parents. We are all over our mid fifties.

On our last cruise our ship was docked beside a Celebrity ship in Nausa. I struck up a conversation, a young couple, while we were in port. I asked them about the Celebrity ship. They said, Celebrity was more of a party ship. You have teams that compete." Didn't sound interesting to me.

When researching the the Alaskan cruise, I ran across a statics that said the average age of Alaskain cruisers were between 45 and 60.

Any trurth to the party ship statement or can I expect a different experience on an Alaskian cruise?

Are you sure it wasn't a Carnival ship? Because the teams thing is a Carnival thing.

Not sure if it was Celebrity or CCL. The couple also stated that RCL bought the line out. That may help.

Just don't want to rule out Celebrity for lack of knowledge. I am definitely trying to choose a different line then we have gone on. Want to see how other ships do it.

Sorry if I was mis-imformed or have the wrong cruiseline. Just trying to book a ship that best meets our needs.

There is one parent company for Royal Caribbean International ships and Celebrity ships (and also Azamara). It is known as RCCL.

Carnival Corporation owns a series of cruise ships as well, including Cunard and Holland America.

Carnival is known as being a party ship. Celebrity is not. At some times of the year, mostly spring break, there may be a younger, more alcohol-oriented crowd, but mostly Celebrity is not a boisterous, beer-guzzling, wet-t-shirt contest kind of cruse experience.

Hi,

Celebrity is very nice and definitely not a party cruise line. I have done a total of seven Celebrity cruises (including three last year) and the ships were very nice. I am in my mid 40s and enjoyed the ships and the atmosphere. Celebrity is somewhat similar to Holland America, but the ships have a more modern feel.

Chuck

The couple you spoke with gave you erroneous information. Celebrity

ships are not party ships. Alaska or the Carbbean, Celebrity is a much

more laid back atmosphere. Competition? There are trivia sessions

and Chef's competing in Celebrity's version of Iron Chef....but as for

"party ships"? Nope.

And as mentioned, Carnival (to tie in w/ their logo) has Red, White and Blue teams that compete for points. Though to me it seemed pointless.

That's one reason we don't sail with them. I wasn't crazy about Color War in summer camp as a kid, I'm not paying for it as an adult :D

On our last cruise our ship was docked beside a Celebrity ship in Nausa.

I know this may a bit of a stretch, but what date were you docked in Nassau and what ship were you on? This might help narrow down if it was indeed a Celebrity Cruises ship, and also if it was the Celebrity Millennium on her hurricane deviation to Nassau, or a Solstice-class.

The short-market cruises on the Celebrity Millennium started Oct. 4th and have attracted a rather atypical demographic than what you would find on a 7+ night Celebrity cruise.

Celebrity Cruises is a more upscale, elegant yet contemporary cruise line, and has a lot fewer bells and whistles than most other cruise lines that would attract the 'party' crowd.

Please don't even consider what you heard from those young cruisers to be an accurate description of Celebrity.

No teams, no wet t-shirt games, no punch-card sales before shows, etc.

Instead, string quartets, acappella groups ala Jersey Boys, guest lecturers, wine-tasting events, etc.

We tried Celeb after an NCL Alaska cruise, which was enjoyable and we got to cruise Glacier Bay, but now Celeb is our cruiseline of choice.

Follow this board, check out the "roll call" for the cruise(s) you're considering, and make your decision based on your research rather than hearsay from some ill-informed acquaintances.

Any trurth to the party ship statement or can I expect a different experience on an Alaskian cruise?

If that statement were true, I would never have taken even my second Celebrity Cruise :D It's sad when a passenger on another ship doesn't even know the cruise line they are on...I guess that's because they were partying so much that it didn't matter...heck, aren't all cruise lines whose name starts with C the same?

I guess you can gather from all the posts that they were describing Carnival not Celebrity.

I am looking at an Alaskan southbound cruise for 2012. Celebrity is in the top 2 of my choices of ships The cruise will be with myself, wife sisters and parents. We are all over our mid fifties.

On our last cruise our ship was docked beside a Celebrity ship in Nausa. I struck up a conversation, a young couple, while we were in port. I asked them about the Celebrity ship. They said, Celebrity was more of a party ship. You have teams that compete." Didn't sound interesting to me.

When researching the the Alaskan cruise, I ran across a statics that said the average age of Alaskain cruisers were between 45 and 60.

Your inquiry may be a first; if there's one thing Celebrity has never been accused of being, it's a party ship! In fact, it's not unusual for folks to post asking if they'll be bored on X ships based on what they've heard (likewise not accurate). My guess is that couple you met had never even stepped on an X ship, confused Celebrity with Carnival and were passing along what they had either heard about or experienced on Carnival's "fun" ships.

Your inquiry may be a first; if there's one thing Celebrity has never been accused of being, it's a party ship! In fact, it's not unusual for folks to post asking if they'll be bored on X ships based on what they've heard (likewise not accurate). My guess is that couple you met had never even stepped on an X ship, confused Celebrity with Carnival and were passing along what they had either heard about or experienced on Carnival's "fun" ships.

Agreed, last thing you could describe Celebrity ships as and Royal Caribbean did take over Celebrity but that was in 1997...

THe crowd on Celebrity is generally older DEFINITELY NOT a party ship I find it at times hotty totty ..snobby without reason

It is an OK cruise line ...not great just OK in my books

Different strokes....Celebrity is GREAT in my books:D way more than

just OK and I don't find it snobby at all.:) I am in my mid 50s....so

more than 1/2 way through life.....so I guess that is older:rolleyes:

Lois - people are living longer - that may be an erroneous assumption. :)

j

Hello stranger:)...come say hello on our "old" thread:);)....hope

you and Susan are both doing well....yes, folks live longer but

I was trying to be funny.....guess that did not work:eek:

Thanks all for straighten me out. I have made my dicission and it will be Celebrity Millennium. So I will probably be back with many questions.

To answer Dmwmc1959's question. We were ported in Nassua Aug 2 and were aboard the Majesty of the Seas. There was an approaching Hurricane that was already in the Southern Caribbean.

YEARS ago, Celebrity WAS a low-cost, party line. It was transformed by Rick..... (can't remember his last name) who is now head of MSC Cruises. He totally transformed Celebrity to what it is today.

Archived