Bringing Wine On-Board

awboater

We have never sailed with Holland America, but have sailed on several other cruise lines. We are considering booking a cruise next month, and the topic of bringing wine on board has come up.

When searching the Holland America website, it seems to suggest that you can bring wine on board, but there are no guidelines that I saw that indicates how much you can bring on board, and what restrictions - if any - there are.

I do see that like most cruise lines, you cannot bring alcohol spirits or beer on board, or if you do, it will be locked away for the duration of the cruise.

Anyone that has brought wine on board a Holland America cruise have any info or advice about it?

Thanks.

There is no limit as to how many bottles of wine, champagne, bottled water and soda that you can bring onto the ship on embarkation day.

Same thing with the ports you visit -- no limits.

There is an $18 per bottle corkage fee whenever you take a bottle to the dining room or to any bar/lounge. This price may have gone up as HAL has raised some prices on items the last few weeks.

We have never sailed with Holland America, but have sailed on several other cruise lines. We are considering booking a cruise next month, and the topic of bringing wine on board has come up.

When searching the Holland America website, it seems to suggest that you can bring wine on board, but there are no guidelines that I saw that indicates how much you can bring on board, and what restrictions - if any - there are.

I do see that like most cruise lines, you cannot bring alcohol spirits or beer on board, or if you do, it will be locked away for the duration of the cruise.

Anyone that has brought wine on board a Holland America cruise have any info or advice about it?

Thanks.

No limit to the amount of wine. If you bring it to the dining room/bar/lido you will be charged a corkage fee ($18?). If you open it yourself in the cabin you can consume it there or fill your glass and bring it to your meals. Don't forget your corkscrew.

It appears that a person can take any 'reasonable', [my word] amount of wine while boarding, onto the ship. I would advise it to be in a safe 'carry on'. While there do not appear to be any upper limits, I used the word 'reasonable' so that a 'good thing' would not be terminated because of the greed of a few cruisers.

john

We took aboard a case of wine on our cruise last week. This is one of the many reasons we continue to book with HAL. If they ever do away with this it could give us enough of a reason to consider other cruise lines. The $18 corkage fee is also very reasonable. I heard that Celebrity now charges $30 corkage fee and allows 2 bottles per cabin on embarkation.:eek:

There is no limit as to how many bottles of wine, champagne, bottled water and soda that you can bring onto the ship on embarkation day.

Same thing with the ports you visit -- no limits.

Just to add, that bringing wine on board is not restricted to your embarkation port :) you can bring it on at any port:) enjoy your cruise:D

Don't you just LOVE HAL!:) A huge benefit that we will enjoy and a big factor that had us book 2 cruises with them within 7 months.

Steve

There is no limit as to how many bottles of wine, champagne, bottled water and soda that you can bring onto the ship ...
And in addition to those four items you can bring on unlimited amounts of any other beverages except liquor and beer --- mixers, fruit juices, seltzer, etc.

Are there generally places to buy wine and other beverages near the ports of departure? We're considering doing an Alaska cruise on HAL, but we live on the East Coast. Flying with wine is not the easiest thing to do!
If you're leaving from Seattle, I understand there aren't places within walking distance. If you are getting to the pier by taxi, you can make a stop along the way. Remember that you can bring on wine from every port, not just at embarkation.

We took aboard a case of wine on our cruise last week. This is one of the many reasons we continue to book with HAL. If they ever do away with this it could give us enough of a reason to consider other cruise lines. The $18 corkage fee is also very reasonable. I heard that Celebrity now charges $30 corkage fee and allows 2 bottles per cabin on embarkation.:eek:

Wow, $30! :eek: It used to be $25! :(

And in addition to those four items you can bring on unlimited amounts of any other beverages except liquor and beer --- mixers, fruit juices, seltzer, etc.

Carol, on another thread related to (correcting/expanding) to my reply to a similar question, I believe that you also stated any other consumeable beverage(s)! ;):D

On our October cruise w/Celebrity it was still $25....no matter though, HAL's policy is so much better all around! If the other cruiselines would let PAX bring wine onboard at ports and not just the embarkation port, that would be different. But 2 bottles total no matter how long the cruise, is silly IMO. It's just one more reason we love HAL.

Archived