VP Biden on Silhouette this week

SugarLover

While enjoying our last cappuccino :( in Cafe al Bacio 9:00 am Monday morning before disembarkation from the Silhouette, we saw a SWAT team walk by us! We just chalked it up to heightened security measures, but we then saw more of the same while getting off the ship. When we mentioned it to our porter, he said that Biden was on the next cruise (12/12 - 12/24) with his entire family (3 generations) and of course his Secret Service entourage. I assume they boarded very early or very late, by a separate entrance, so as to avoid the crowd/public.

So, for those of you who were complaining about the delayed disembarkation times and vehicle gridlock at the terminal -- this may explain why!

BTW, hands down, we had our BEST cruise ever, on the Silhouette. Not one glitch, slowdown, or mistake all 12 days, and incredible service! I will be posting a lengthy review IN THE REVIEW SECTION hopefully in a day or so.

I am not saying that what is rumored is not true;however, I have doubts about the story. How could his vacation be secure on a cruise ship? It would be difficult to screen all passengers and what a PR nighmare if they would deny boarding to anyone based on a check. Would the VP remain in his cabin throughout? He would certainly be noticed if in public, especially with Secret Service covering him. If word got out that he and his family would be onboard (and the rumor has started) wouldn't this increase the security risk? Call me just a "Doubting Thomas", but I wonder.

According to the White House official web site, Vice President Biden and his wife, Dr. Jill Biden are attending a reception for the diplomatic corps at Blair House at 4pm today.

The porter was probably misinformed.

Sherri:)

I agree with the concerns about security...it would be tough, even with the VP staying close to his suite. He does get 'out and about' frequently though, so it wouldn't surprise me. And yes, perhaps it is Mrs. B and the family, as her husband should be quite busy this week! However, just as you can't count on rumor, you also can't count on announced diplomatic schedules... they do sometimes provide false schedules as "planted information" or can just be plain incorrect.

I do know though, that we witnessed a LOT of heavy duty security, on board and off, with lots of guns! :eek: And, according to all the porters and shuttle drivers, the traffic was much much worse than usual for Bayonne. "Somebody special" is aboard, maybe the next set of cruisers will know?

I agree with the concerns about security...it would be tough, even with the VP staying close to his suite. He does get 'out and about' frequently though, so it wouldn't surprise me. And yes, perhaps it is Mrs. B and the family, as her husband should be quite busy this week! However, just as you can't count on rumor, you also can't count on announced diplomatic schedules... they do sometimes provide false schedules as "planted information" or can just be plain incorrect.

I do know though, that we witnessed a LOT of heavy duty security, on board and off, with lots of guns! :eek: And, according to all the porters and shuttle drivers, the traffic was much much worse than usual for Bayonne. "Somebody special" is aboard, maybe the next set of cruisers will know?

We disembarked the day you boarded. Traffic was horrific but they said it was because Obama was doing the tree lighting.

I honestly do not know but I would tend to doubt that the VP would take a cruise. If there were a national/international emergency he would be needed immediately and if he is having a sea day, how would they get him to Washington? Maybe he was taking a tour of the port and of the ship?

We could not get a deck chair because VP Bidens entire security detail were hogging all the deck chairs. The secret service put there guns and jackets on the chairs to hold them, while VP Biden used the presidential towels and left them on the chairs.

Sounds like I had the worst cruise! I was on one with lots of congressmen on board.

Unfortunately Celebrity gave them some control over the cruise. We never even left the dock because all they did was argue about where we were going so we never went anywhere.

Sounds like I had the worst cruise! I was on one with lots of congressmen on board.

Unfortunately Celebrity gave them some control over the cruise. We never even left the dock because all they did was argue about where we were going so we never went anywhere.

I would advocate more Congressional cruises since that helps keep our country safe by keeping them away from Washington.

sounds like i had the worst cruise! I was on one with lots of congressmen on board.

Unfortunately celebrity gave them some control over the cruise. We never even left the dock because all they did was argue about where we were going so we never went anywhere.

xxx

sounds like i had the worst cruise! I was on one with lots of congressmen on board.

Unfortunately celebrity gave them some control over the cruise. We never even left the dock because all they did was argue about where we were going so we never went anywhere.

lol:d

Lsimon, that is funny :)

• 2 weeks later...

Archived