Is Oasis REALLY That Great?

MrsB05

Interesting.... I understand about the flames... it is a shame one can't respect opinions of one another... We didn't experience that but doesn't mean it can't happen. The worst crowds we had were during muster drill but that is to be expected. I too was concerned about the "costco" or mall type experience but didn't have that....

That is why there are different ships and for that matter different cruise lines...to each his own. Like I said since hubby couldn't go he wants to go on the Allure. And we are at the point of not sailing any more on large ships...we're ready for the Azamara, Oceania type ships at this point.

CC

OP -- Likewise, I would ignore a post like this one telling anyone to ignore the negative posts. People have great experiences and poor experiences, and most are somewhere in the middle...but to ignore feedback isn't going to serve anyone well. You'll never know and get to create your own experience unless you cruise this class of ship on your own. You might fall in the middle, or determine it was your best cruise ever, or (hopefully not!) find it was your worst cruise.

And for this poster, don't assume anything. You know what that means, right?

That's not what I said but I apologize if I hurt your little feelings.:(

Is Oasis REALLY That Great?

Yes. I'm a lover of all ships and will cruise just about anything, but Oasis Class has blown me away like no other ship. Like the others said early in this thread, before the grumbling started, I think all cruisers owe it to themselves to try it once. :)

I learned long ago that to do that on Cruise Critic means to subject oneself to massive flaming to the point that threads get shut down because cheerleaders just can't understand that not all cruises are perfect, and start going on the attack. It gets ridiculous. Since the OP didn't ask for specifics, I don't plan on going into specifics and being a Debbie Downer about it. I WILL give generalities though -- long waits in line for the elevators, long waits in the Windjammer, long waits and no seating at Park Cafe, very few views of the water unless I was in my cabin (we had a balcony), long pizza lines (don't even get my DH started on that one :)), long waits to pay in boutiques, long waits to exit the ship in port, and long waits to get back on ship in port. This is all compared to 13 other cruises where waits are inevitable, but not like what we experienced on Oasis. It felt like much of our time was spent waiting in line. The best way for me to describe how I felt is to describe my dislike for large shopping malls or Costco on a Saturday. Oasis felt like both to me.

Hopefully that's enough feedback without giving specific scenarios. We sailed late September 2010, by the way, if that matters. Still, I think the OP should try it if the budget is right.

It's amazing how different passengers have completely different experiences.....we NEVER waited more than 30 seconds for an elevator as there are so many of them, we never waited long exiting or reboarding in port (I assume that's because we never rush to be the first off), there's plenty of water out there to see (true, the outside jogging track on deck 5 is not the best, but has a fantastic view in the rear), etc. Yes, Windjammer is not the best, but that's why we went to the many many other available eateries! So, I suppose it's wise to read all opinions, and then go and find out for yourself!

I sailed on Allure in October and am booked on her again for October '12. I absolutely loved it. We pre booked our shows and never waited in line to get in. They scan your sea pass to verify you are pre booked and you walk in and sit where you like. Never was a problem. I love the boardwalk balconies.

It's amazing how different passengers have completely different experiences.....

Even though we all know experiences do differ, I think your experience is that of most. Off the top of my head, I don't recall having to wait in line for anything....on both the Oasis and Allure. Of course, I also avoid the WJ. ;)

Pre-planning is the key if that is your thing, for Oasis and Allure. If you like to do everything on the spur of the moment those 2 ships might not best for you.

I just as far not be on a set schedule on our vacations, to much like work back home.

Jimbo:)

Yes. I'm a lover of all ships and will cruise just about anything, but Oasis Class has blown me away like no other ship. Like the others said early in this thread, before the grumbling started, I think all cruisers owe it to themselves to try it once. :)

I don't recall lines either with the exception of the elevators at certain times but one thing for sure, they work much better than the lifts on the Voyager or Freedom class. They are without a doubt the slowest I have experienced.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

We were recently on Jewel and took advantage of the reduced deposit/OBC offer to book our next cruise. We just booked "anything" since we can easily change it. We ended up with a September 2013 7 night on Oasis. I really had no intention of taking this cruise, but, am now wondering if we should give it a whirl and see what the hub bub is all about.

Or switch it to something on one of the smaller ships (which we do like; Radiance Class, especially).

What does everyone think?[/quote]

Well since you asked..........

September 2013???? Really??? Your kidding right?

That ship is fantastic and should be board by you way before September 2013!!! Well........ really any RCI ship is fantastic and if I had an open reservation I would not wait 2 years to use it!!! Get serious about this :)

Pre-planning is the key if that is your thing, for Oasis and Allure. If you like to do everything on the spur of the moment those 2 ships might not best for you.

That is true. However, for folks who pre-plan shore excursions, tours, etc, it's no different. In fact, I think it's easier. 5 combined Oasis Class cruises and I think they are the best at sea, hands down.

We were recently on Jewel and took advantage of the reduced deposit/OBC offer to book our next cruise. We just booked "anything" since we can easily change it. We ended up with a September 2013 7 night on Oasis. I really had no intention of taking this cruise, but, am now wondering if we should give it a whirl and see what the hub bub is all about.

Or switch it to something on one of the smaller ships (which we do like; Radiance Class, especially).

What does everyone think?

Is the Oasis really that great,,,,,,,,,,,,,,YES!. Its a beautiful marvel! It s a ship that every frequent cruise buff should add to their experience!!! Is it perfect ,,, well maybe some trips and not perfect others... like anything in life.. But when you consider everything in our big wide world..the Oasis is a pretty cool vessel!!!

Will she be your all time favorite............that's up to you. One thing is for sure,,, she is state of the art and surely worth our respect. On thing is also for sure.... youll never have a valid opinion until you have sailed her yourself!

And for you cheerleader haters,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,no the Oasis is not my favoriate.........The Mariner is.

Wow. Wow wow wow. You've just discounted everything I've said (and others who had negative comments) as "garbage". Not very nice. :(

Sorry but Cruise Critic boards are a small sampling of cruisers and extreme negatives should be taken with a grain of salt. For every negative comment there are thousands who feel just the opposite and should not be a factor in someone trying out a ship for the first time. If you want to say the same about extreme positive comments then that is your prerogative.

I WILL give generalities though -- long waits in line for the elevators, long waits in the Windjammer, long waits and no seating at Park Cafe, very few views of the water unless I was in my cabin (we had a balcony), long pizza lines (don't even get my DH started on that one :)), long waits to pay in boutiques, long waits to exit the ship in port, and long waits to get back on ship in port.

This is all compared to 13 other cruises where waits are inevitable, but not like what we experienced on Oasis. It felt like much of our time was spent waiting in line. The best way for me to describe how I felt is to describe my dislike for large shopping malls or Costco on a Saturday. Oasis felt like both to me.

Hopefully that's enough feedback without giving specific scenarios. We sailed late September 2010, by the way, if that matters. Still, I think the OP should try it if the budget is right.

I did a B2B on the Oasis in September of 2010. I have been on over 30 cruises and almost 30 different ships. This was my experience and a comparison I make to my recent Freedom of the Seas cruise.

long waits in line for the elevators - as others have stated trying to use an elevator after a show, parade, early departing at a port and sometimes returning from port or MDR dinner times can result in a delay to get an elevator but at other routine times no problem. In September 2011 I had to wait longer for an elevator on Freedom of the Seas than I had to on Oasis.

long waits in the Windjammer - for the two weeks I was on Oasis I only ate in the Windjammer six times. Not because I was trying to avoid it but because of our options we always found somewhere closer to us to eat or snack instead of going to the Windjammer. For the six times we went an observation if you go early or late and avoid the peak time there isn't a problem. By accident that is when we ate there.

long waits and no seating at Park Cafe - Again a place to avoid at peak times. Never really waited long to be served but did have difficulty finding a seat. A great place to pick up food to take back to the cabin and eat on the balcony or anywhere else on the ship.

very few views of the water unless I was in my cabin (we had a balcony) - This is the one frequent complaint that always puzzles me. We had an inside cabin and viewed the water everyday. Spent many hours in the Solarium and on pool deck. Always felt we were at Sea and not in a Shopping Mall. Guess it depends on where you select to spend your time.

long pizza lines (don't even get my DH started on that one - again this should be avoided at peak times. This is not pizza to die for. So I would not stand in a long line to get it. When I went there I never experienced any longer line on the Oasis than I experienced on Freedom.

long waits to pay in boutiques - Didn't and don't shop so I can't share an experience.

long waits to exit the ship in port - Have never been on a ship that if you wanted to exit first/early that there was not a long line and wait. On occasion there can be additional delay due to port authorities. Generally speaking on all ships the folks that have purchased ship excursions are the first to get off. That's always a long line to be behind.

long waits to get back on ship in port - The closer passengers wait until reboarding time the longer the lines and wait to get back. Additional delay can be added due to staffing by local port authorities. Since this is common with all ships we always let the crowd leave before getting off and reboard ahead of schedule. We have the advantage of being at these ports so many times that we don't feel the need to stay on land as long as we can.

I have experienced most of these same problems on other smaller ships. Have learn to go with the flow and remind myself where I am and what I am doing when waiting in line on a cruise ship or on a Caribbean Island.

Another complaint not mentioned here is the line waiting for the shows. I had reserved seating for all my shows and showed up 15 - 20 minutes early and walked right in after they scanned my seapass - no Waite - no line.

I did a B2B on the Oasis in September of 2010. I have been on over 30 cruises and almost 30 different ships. This was my experience and a comparison I make to my recent Freedom of the Seas cruise.

long waits in line for the elevators - as others have stated trying to use an elevator after a show, parade, early departing at a port and sometimes returning from port or MDR dinner times can result in a delay to get an elevator but at other routine times no problem. In September 2011 I had to wait longer for an elevator on Freedom of the Seas than I had to on Oasis.

long waits in the Windjammer - for the two weeks I was on Oasis I only ate in the Windjammer six times. Not because I was trying to avoid it but because of our options we always found somewhere closer to us to eat or snack instead of going to the Windjammer. For the six times we went an observation if you go early or late and avoid the peak time there isn't a problem. By accident that is when we ate there.

long waits and no seating at Park Cafe - Again a place to avoid at peak times. Never really waited long to be served but did have difficulty finding a seat. A great place to pick up food to take back to the cabin and eat on the balcony or anywhere else on the ship.

very few views of the water unless I was in my cabin (we had a balcony) - This is the one frequent complaint that always puzzles me. We had an inside cabin and viewed the water everyday. Spent many hours in the Solarium and on pool deck. Always felt we were at Sea and not in a Shopping Mall. Guess it depends on where you select to spend your time.

long pizza lines (don't even get my DH started on that one - again this should be avoided at peak times. This is not pizza to die for. So I would not stand in a long line to get it. When I went there I never experienced any longer line on the Oasis than I experienced on Freedom.

long waits to pay in boutiques - Didn't and don't shop so I can't share an experience.

long waits to exit the ship in port - Have never been on a ship that if you wanted to exit first/early that there was not a long line and wait. On occasion there can be additional delay due to port authorities. Generally speaking on all ships the folks that have purchased ship excursions are the first to get off. That's always a long line to be behind.

long waits to get back on ship in port - The closer passengers wait until reboarding time the longer the lines and wait to get back. Additional delay can be added due to staffing by local port authorities. Since this is common with all ships we always let the crowd leave before getting off and reboard ahead of schedule. We have the advantage of being at these ports so many times that we don't feel the need to stay on land as long as we can.

I have experienced most of these same problems on other smaller ships. Have learn to go with the flow and remind myself where I am and what I am doing when waiting in line on a cruise ship or on a Caribbean Island.

Another complaint not mentioned here is the line waiting for the shows. I had reserved seating for all my shows and showed up 15 - 20 minutes early and walked right in after they scanned my seapass - no Waite - no line.

Well MRSBOS...............if this review is to believed....you have your answer.............!!

But on the other hand.. you have almost two years to decided... no hurry here. I found this ship to be amazing

Well MRSBOS...............if this review is to believed....you have your answer.............!!

But on the other hand.. you have almost two years to decided... no hurry here. I found this ship to be amazing

Wow, thanks to everyone for your answers!

As for waiting until September 2013, we've no intention of waiting that long; we just wanting to book something as far out as we could so we'd have plenty of time to decide. Unfortunately, since DH still works, we can't cruise as often as many of you (at least not YET!) And, as he's just starting a new practice here in FL, he doesn't want to take any long long long cruises or ones in Europe. Again, yet.

The C&A Rep. on board Jewel suggested we book Oasis simply because it and Allure were the only ships that had something that far out.

I'm hoping we can hope on another quickie cruise, maybe two, before then.

Anyway, after reading all of these very helpful posts, I doubt we'll go on Oasis simply because it doesn't appear to be our cruising style/preference; esp. if we have to pay more than we would on a smaller class of ship.

Having said this, I'd not turn down a free cruise on her :D

Thanks again, all! Happy Cruising!

As for waiting until September 2013, we've no intention of waiting that long; we just wanting to book something as far out as we could so we'd have plenty of time to decide. .

The C&A Rep. on board Jewel suggested we book Oasis simply because it and Allure were the only ships that had something that far out.

You could have just done an open booking and not committed to any cruise. Not sure why the C&A rep didnt suggest that... Maybe they work on commision:eek:

What does everyone think?

You will thank yourself, the Oasis and Allure are two amazing ships. Have sialed Oasis three times and soon to be four on Allure....Happy cruising...K.O. Near Philly:)

I think it's an experience that an avid cruiser should do once. But my overall impression after sailing the Allure 2 weeks ago was NEVER AGAIN! (i'm sure most people will disagree with me, based on the reviews of the Oasis class ships on CC).
But am so very curious, why "never again"...:confused:

I'm in agreement with you. Oasis was the worst cruise and ship experience of my 14 cruises. However, I think the OP should perhaps give the ship a whirl and see what she thinks first-hand. For me, it was awful.
Why was it the "worst cruise and ship of your 14 cruises????:confused:

Oasis ships are the best in the business. Yes, they really are that great. The shows, the venues, and the ship itself are the best at sea. Long lines? Hogwash! I've been on both the Oasis and Allure and never, NEVER experienced lines for anything. In fact, these giants were less crowded than all other ships I have been on.

Why was it the "worst cruise and ship of your 14 cruises????:confused:

Phillies- not sure if you are aware but you can use the "multi-quote" button (the button in the middle) and continue to hit multi-quote until the last post that you wish to quote...then hit the "quote" button on the bottom left. All of the posts will show up...much easier than going back and doing it over and over again for each post you want to respond to. Unless you are trying to get your post count up;)

Phillies- not sure if you are aware but you can use the "multi-quote" button (the button in the middle) and continue to hit multi-quote until the last post that you wish to quote...then hit the "quote" button on the bottom left. All of the posts will show up...much easier than going back and doing it over and over again for each post you want to respond to. Unless you are trying to get your post count up;)

Thanks Wilda, in case Phillies already knew that, I didn't. I was wondering how that worked. I guess I was to lazy to look it up. Thanks again.

Archived