HAL's Poor Upgrade Policy

Darrell6t

Today we got an email assigning us to a different cabin than we so carefully choose when we booked our cruise on the Veendam around the tip of South America. That can often be a very rough few days and we wanted to be as close to the center of the ship as possible, and could afford. And since we booked about 18 months before that was not difficult. To be changed to another cabin a week before the cruise without being asked is a really bad policy. HAL should be ashamed to treat passengers that way.

On another cruise we were offered an upgrade and because it was to an undesirable location, we refused it. I didn't know HAL ever just assigned upgrades without asking permission. That is not consistent with good customer relations.

So we now have a larger cabin with a balcony, which will be nice as long as the seas cooperate. But with any sort of bad weather we will be miserable. Rocking and rolling and unable to stand up, as this cabin is 4 decks higher and much closer to the aft. HAL has 2 unhappy passengers hoping for calm weather.

Upgrades are appreciated but only when permission to change cabins is obtained.

did you book this or your TA? you should have been asked at booking - if you want an upgrade - if you said yes, so be it.

All the cruise lines work this way.

If you said no upgrade - then you keep your cabin, or you get an offer.

someplace, someone let you down.

Why is it a CCer brings this perceived customer service beef to the HAL board after it happened? :confused: Why not do a little research on this board first?

I'm sorry if some think I'm scapegoating the cruiser as that's not my intention at all but can't help but wonder why the resrouce that is CC wasn't used by OP in this case.

It sounds like your booking was not marked that you did not want to except a complimentary upgrade. So either your TA missed this and or you did not indicate this to HAL.

At any rate it also sounds like you went from an Ocean View on one of the lower decks to a great Verandah WOW that is fantastic and seldom happens with out an Up Sell Offer. To be truthful if you would have said it was all the way forward I was going to feel just a little bit sorry but when you stated Aft and just closer to the aft. I got news you have absolutely nothing to worry about. If you feel drastic movement there you would have felt it in your mid ship lower lever Ocean View. Trust me it will be fantastic and you should feel quite lucky to have been granted such an amazing Up Grade :)

did you book this or your TA? you should have been asked at booking - if you want an upgrade - if you said yes, so be it.

If you selected (and apparently you did) the auto upgrade feature you got just what you asked for.
I believe when booking with a TA, if you do not explicitly say "Do Not Upgrade" then the default is that HAL can move you wherever they want. Isn't that the case Lisa?

I believe when booking with a TA, if you do not explicitly say "Do Not Upgrade" then the default is that HAL can move you wherever they want. Isn't that the case Lisa?

Yes, although with HAL 99% of the time when they do this it is for a nice upgrade OV to Verandah or Verandah Suite, or Balcony to Suite. Other lines such as Princess sometimes move you up within the same type of cabin. While HAL has on occasionally done this, it is extremely rare.

Eighteen months ago, I booked a choice OV on this "bucket list" cruise as well. Unfortunately, as the economy continued to decline, the cruise started to look less practical. A few months ago, we choose to cancel and hope for another opportunity in the future.

Sorry, I just can't sympathize with you on this one.

It sounds like your booking was not marked that you did not want to except a complimentary upgrade. So either your TA missed this and or you did not indicate this to HAL.

At any rate it also sounds like you went from an Ocean View on one of the lower decks to a great Verandah WOW that is fantastic and seldom happens with out an Up Sell Offer. To be truthful if you would have said it was all the way forward I was going to feel just a little bit sorry but when you stated Aft and just closer to the aft. I got news you have absolutely nothing to worry about. If you feel drastic movement there you would have felt it in your mid ship lower lever Ocean View. Trust me it will be fantastic and you should feel quite lucky to have been granted such an amazing Up Grade :)

OP - words of wisdom here - you got a great upgrade:):):)

Today we got an email assigning us to a different cabin than we so carefully choose when we booked our cruise on the Veendam around the tip of South America. That can often be a very rough few days and we wanted to be as close to the center of the ship as possible, and could afford. And since we booked about 18 months before that was not difficult. To be changed to another cabin a week before the cruise without being asked is a really bad policy. HAL should be ashamed to treat passengers that way.

On another cruise we were offered an upgrade and because it was to an undesirable location, we refused it. I didn't know HAL ever just assigned upgrades without asking permission. That is not consistent with good customer relations.

So we now have a larger cabin with a balcony, which will be nice as long as the seas cooperate. But with any sort of bad weather we will be miserable. Rocking and rolling and unable to stand up, as this cabin is 4 decks higher and much closer to the aft. HAL has 2 unhappy passengers hoping for calm weather.

Upgrades are appreciated but only when permission to change cabins is obtained.

We have always chosen the cabin we want and always say "No to complimentary upgrade". We are willing for an "upsell" if they want to contact us and we can either agree or refuse.

It does sound like you got a nice upgrade though but I can see how you would be disappointed after you booked your cabin so far ahead. Someone messed up-either you or the TA. Hope it is a smooth sailing and you come back and say you were really happy with the upgrade.

I'm sure the people who got your old cabin would LOVE to have you new cabin and then you can go back to where you were.

so true - I'm sure if the op wants to switch - the occupants would be thrilled :):):)

As a person who sailed on the Veendam last year that hit the Storm of The Year in the Drake Shake, believe me, it doesn't matter where you are - you will feel the motion!! We were in the suites on Deck 10 and our friends from Deck 5 came up to our room.

I think you received a fantastic upgrade. If you are really sensitive to the motion, just go to the front desk and get some free SeaCalm. I usually take one each evening before bedtime. Helps me sleep and wear off some of the drowsy effect.

Archived