Costa Concordia SINKING

ItalianGuest

Thank you, I rest my case. I have no idea why folks here are so willing to jump to the defense of the operator of this ship? Is it false loyalty? They ran aground in an area they should not have been in, and as the article pointed out, rudder was fine.

I don't think that people are defending the operator of the ship, they are simply stating that saying 'If it was an american flagged ship, it wouldn't have happened' is the most idiotic statement of the day.

Here's the thing that truly has me puzzled.

Take a look at the following two photos, and pay particular attention to where the damage is to the hull.

647x.jpg

649x.jpg

What I can't figure out is...

If the ship was moving in the forward direction, how the heck did they do all that damage to the back end of the vessel without damaging that stabilizer and the hull towards the front of the ship?!?!

In both photos, the bow of the ship is at the left of the photo.

If you imagine the Titanic accident, the iceberg ripped a hole in the hull from the front of the vessel and then down along the side... from front to back. But in these photos of the Concordia, the front looks untouched and it's the back that has the huge gash. How is that possible if the ship was moving forward? Maybe all that visible damage happened long after the initial incident and evacuation... with the ship drifting without power, being pushed by the tide on to the shore.

I used to be critical of my DH when traveling until we were stuck in Hurricaine Charlie in Disney. He had flashlights, extra batteries. Well prepared.

When we cruise he takes a portable crank HAM RADIO Flashlights, first aid kit.

Over KIll ....quite the contrary...........

Just a great Husband and Father protecting his family.

Safe travels.

Travelling by bus, train, airplane or big ships, or staying at a hotel: as a minimun, you should always know where the nearest place to evacuate is. It just makes sense! Tragic accident.

If the ship was moving in the forward direction, how the heck did they do all that damage to the back end of the vessel without damaging that stabilizer and the hull towards the front of the ship?!?!

Think about it. If the ship is turning starboard, then the back end will move left, and hit the rock, but the front will turn right, avoiding the rock.

I quite like the way they do it on Princess actually and am a bit apprehensive about RCI :confused: since apparently they do it differently and assemble folks out on the decks.

My experience on RCI:

The muster drill required everyone to be outside at the lifeboat station assigned to you and listed on the cruise card. There was no need to bring the life vest to the muster. Use of the vest was demonstrated by a crew member at each lifeboat. No mention was made of what needed to be done if it became necessary to walk/jump into the water. Everyone lined up in rows on the deck with their backs to the wall. Most people could not see over/through the people in front of them to actually see the demonstration by the crew member putting on the vest. Before the demo they did a roll call with everyone's name that was assigned to that lifeboat. They made note of all passengers who were not there, but I do not know what they did with that list.

Re the arrest of the Captain:

He may or may not be guilty, but his arrest says more about Italy's judicial culture, and Italian prosecutors, than it does about the facts of this case (and I love Italy).

How can the facts possibly be known? Even once they are, it's not exactly a rational system.

This is a recent example of what I'm talking about:

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2011/05/27/scitech/main20066827.shtml

Aaaahhhhhhh!

Now I know where the saying

"Jack of all trades and MASTER of none"

comes from.

Ron

Ron and all the others,

I wish I could share with you the posts on our MM&P forum, but have been reminded that what is said on that professional mariner's forum stays on that forum or else you would lose your forum privileges. So no copy and paste here to enlighten you folks. My colleagues have more up to date information than the media, so I will just lay low until the media gets up to speed and releases to the public the facts surrounding this tragic event. I have taken some heat from my posts, but as the days pass, you all will know what basically happened.

I will leave you all with this though, and that is a typical cruise ship is designed with minimal positive stability to ensure the comfort of the passengers. If a vessel has a lot of positive stability, the righting moment is fast and will produce seasickness among the passengers. If you breach a hull on a ship that is already tender for stability, it has a difficult time dealing with the weight shift and after deck edge submersion, there is no longer a shifting center of buoyancy, so the ship lies down.

I love America just as much as the next person but to insinuate that only American vessels have stringent requirements and others don't take safety seriously is just wrong. I don't think you should be posting this kind of stuff here, and instead should be praying for the well being of the passengers, crew, and their families

Well said!!!!

Here's the thing that truly has me puzzled.

Take a look at the following two photos, and pay particular attention to where the damage is to the hull.

647x.jpg

649x.jpg

In both photos, the bow of the ship is at the left of the photo.

If you imagine the Titanic accident, the iceberg ripped a hole in the hull from the front of the vessel and then down along the side... from front to back. But in these photos of the Concordia, the front looks untouched and it's the back that has the huge gash. How is that possible if the ship was moving forward? Maybe all that visible damage happened long after the initial incident and evacuation... with the ship drifting without power, being pushed by the tide on to the shore.

My guess is that maybe the stabilizers were not deployed at the time of the impact and that afterwards, they were ingaged in a futile attempt to keep the ship upright as it continued onwards to the harbor.

The bar staff is wearing the sea foam color vest typically worn on Princess/P&O vessels, that's what tipped me off this wasn't from Concordia, and honestly, there is probably no way any digital surveillance got off the vessel anyway. Any onboard video would come from guests with cell phones or cameras.

And drawing on what deckofficer has just said, it would lead credence to the 'weight shifting' water theory that eventually caused the vessel to list to the 'wrong' (non-intruded) side.

Deckofficer:

Cum Laude graduate Antwerp Maritime College

STCW AII 2 (Ocean Unlimited Tonnage)

Also: ATPL TRI B737

Captain B747-400

never worked for Costa as I'm not Italian;)

your posts are quite insulting to any Mariner as they show ignorance. Jumping to conclusions is THE most dangerous thing on the bridge. I am sure you know this and I assume your post read differently than you meant. I am aware that it is very easy to draw conclusions, to shout out "disgrace" and "this would never have happened with me". Truth is: WE can ALL be involved in an accident. That is a fact of our professions. We learn from them, we NEVER blame to blame and do it better next time.

In Italy, any master/Captain involved in an accident risks arrest due to local law. This has happened several times already, also when human errors were not a cause.

My guess is that maybe the stabilizers were not deployed at the time of the impact and that afterwards, they were ingaged in a futile attempt to keep the ship upright as it continued onwards to the harbor.

The stabilizers look so small, unlike on tv shows when they look huge lol :cool:

The same way you can be driving a car and hit an obstacle (rock, tree, another car) and only cause damage to the back half of the car. Unless you are moving exactly parallel to the object, you will hit it at some sort of angle, which is what appears to have happened here.

Has anyone noticed that the Concordia is facing the wrong direction from where she was heading?

Picture-227-635x459.png

According to Marine Traffic, the ship was heading North with her port side facing land, but the pictures are showing her facing South! :eek:

bilde?Site=B3&Date=20120114&Category=NJNEWS18&ArtNo=301140021&Ref=AR&MaxW=640&Border=0&Cruise-ship-runs-aground-off-Italy-3-bodies-found-69-missing

Costa-Concordia-007.jpg

How the heck does that happen???

Thats what I've thinking, but no one else mentioned it so I thought I must have it wrong.:confused:

Archived