Celebrity - bad company! But "Equinox" - yes, fine liner, no doubt.

SergeiKa

I have a simple policy - if a person joins CruiseCritic and immediately posts a first message that is full of criticism, accusations, drama and hysterics, I simply ignore the complaints. If they are valid, then too bad. A person who wants my sympathy and assistance has to be calm, rational and believable. Otherwise, I don't care. I have no desire to facilitate their anger.

In this case, the language has nothing to do with my position. It's the purpose and tone that I object to.

I can understand what you mean but ...It's is very hard to express your feelings in a language that you don't know AND when you use Google as a translator that probably will lead to confusion and sounding worse than you might intend. If this person could have write in his own language it might have sounded different?

Just a thought though...:) (was that right?)

I think the OP wanted his cabin cleaned when he was out of it, even if he was not out that long.

Our experience in cruising (we are Elite too) has been that the room steward seems to know immediately when you leave your cabin and they seem to be invisible, doing their work in your absence. Our cabin has always been cleaned when we get back from breakfast. However, on Equinox in Dec, our cabin was never cleaned until about noon. We did not like that but we said nothing as we realize the room steward can't do everyone's cabin first. They could alternate their schedule though so they don't always leave the same cabin till last.

We had the annoying problem on a different Celebrity ship. We did not visit Guest Services. Each time we assumed we had fixed the problem.

The cabin steward simply could not remember what time we went to traditional dinner in the MDR and would often decide to clean the bathroom at the same hour we needed to shower and dress.

Since then, we always label colored post-its "Make Up Room" & "Do Not Disturb" to use on the door. Cabin stewards see the color coded sign and follow the instruction. The Cabin steward simply puts the "Make up room" sign back inside the door or we replace it.

We thank them for their work.

Cartegenia(sp?), a port in Colombia, is in South America.

Maris

Edited by USVI-4-me

We were also on this cruise and yes, we were told that here were over 300 Russian guests,whether or not they were in a group I don't know, but, several of whom had some English and perhaps could have helped in this situation. Guest Relations would have known who they were. On a previous cruise there was a large Spanish contingent, who expressed similar concerns to us, and we tried helping where we could.

What a shame this situation escalated - and as the customer base is now clearly international, perhaps X need to consider how some of the problems could be avoided? (But not to the extent I have read on other threads that a large group can request MDR time changes!!)

I have noticed on previous Celebrity cruises that the cabin staff have a secret code (a small piece of paper) which they slot into the door frame and this drops out when you open your cabin door. I agree with OP's that a dual card would be really helpful - showing that the room is available to be cleaned. I will make one and explain this to my attendant - thank you for the idea!

I'm a little confused.

Doesn't Celebrity use the door hangars for Do Not Disturb and Make Up this Room.? On Princess we've always tried to help the steward by putting the hangar out when we leave in the morning so he can get us out of the way. We are early risers and our cabin is usually cleaned by the time we come back from breakfast. Same thing in the evening when we go for dinner. People talking about making their own has me confused......

thanks

I'm a little confused.

Doesn't Celebrity use the door hangars for Do Not Disturb and Make Up this Room.? On Princess we've always tried to help the steward by putting the hangar out when we leave in the morning so he can get us out of the way. We are early risers and our cabin is usually cleaned by the time we come back from breakfast. Same thing in the evening when we go for dinner. People talking about making their own has me confused......

thanks

BridgeMates - please don't be confused. The current door hanger shows 'do not disturb'. What is being suggested is one that carries signs on both sides ie: do not disturb and on the reverse, please make up the stateroom or something that could be understood in many languages.

Waggie

I think the OP wanted his cabin cleaned when he was out of it, even if he was not out that long.

Our experience in cruising (we are Elite too) has been that the room steward seems to know immediately when you leave your cabin and they seem to be invisible, doing their work in your absence. Our cabin has always been cleaned when we get back from breakfast. However, on Equinox in Dec, our cabin was never cleaned until about noon. We did not like that but we said nothing as we realize the room steward can't do everyone's cabin first. They could alternate their schedule though so they don't always leave the same cabin till last.

Not Elite, and only our 2nd Celeb cruise, but maybe we were spoiled by Nolan, our steward on the Eclipse, because our 2B cabin was ALWAYS cleaned while we were breakfasting.

We were on the Equinox in December, too and on sea days we'd leave for breakfast around 8 & return around 9 to an uncleaned room. Then we'd head out for an activity or two, return around 11, expecting that surely our 1C cabin would be tidy, and being consistently disappointed.

If the steward on the Eclipse could perform his duties so efficiently (BTW we were the one of the end cabins of his assigned group), why not the same standard of service on other Celeb ships?

We were on the Equinox Dec 12th. We had no recogizable problems. When you get up in the morning do you immediately make your bed? Tired of reading how bad everything is on Celebrity. Maybe some people should get a life and look at a half full glass. If you don't like it don't go.

We were on the Equinox Dec 12th. We had no recogizable problems. When you get up in the morning do you immediately make your bed? Tired of reading how bad everything is on Celebrity. Maybe some people should get a life and look at a half full glass. If you don't like it don't go.

Yes:)
Ditto, Orlando Cruiser! And Hello!

Suggestions for improvements and comparisons of steward efficiency are not statements of "how bad everything is on Celebrity"!

M/M Bee, comments like the above, and those made on other threads, paint you as negative, judgemental people, when according to those who've met you, you are very pleasant in person. I'm glad you had no recognizable problems on our fabulous Equinox cruise, but please don't insult those of us who do raise issues. Thanks!

Edited by TMLAalum

:mad:

Just returned from a cruise to Central America on "Celebrity Equinox".

Yes, fine liner, no doubt.

But "Celebrity" - bad company!

The only cruise company that has managed for the first cruise to obtain the stable negative attitude. The more we do not take advantage of its services than ever before.

On the first day of the cruise, I was called at the reception, where the land began to threaten me with the ship. He was accused of insulting the staff. I asked to call the victim or provide any evidence - they could not. Then he accused me of that, I hung a sign "Do Not Disturb" on the door and do not let Stewart. I did not think that is a crime.

Especially was the first day of the cruise (at sea) and the cabin was still clean. Especially because my wife seasick and she slept in the cabin (Stabilizers according to the pitching staff, "including, but not helping"). My question: "Are you going to get out of the cabin, where passengers sleep there?" - There was no answer, but anyway they really wanted to get into the cabin, with the threats.

By the way, on our credit card after the cruise blocked amount is greater than it was in the long run. The reason, of course, are not reported.

Total: If you like slander to your address, scandals and the threat of company personnel and suspicion - welcome to the Celebrity!

Do not have a clue what you're talking about! Love Celebrity and have never had a problem with services or lack of services on board any of their ships. Please be clearer about whatever it is you're saying. Thanks and so sorry you seemed to have a bad experience.

Do not have a clue what you're talking about! Love Celebrity and have never had a problem with services or lack of services on board any of their ships. Please be clearer about whatever it is you're saying. Thanks and so sorry you seemed to have a bad experience.

One additional note....it seems as if you may have been asked to leave the ship? If so, maybe it was because of your wife's illness? They are pretty strict about this.

Mr and Mrs Bee - To answer your question, at home I do make my bed as soon as I get up in the morning. My husband started making breakfast for me 38 years ago when we were engaged and still does. So he gets up before I do and then I make our bed as soon as I get up in the morning.

To get back to the topic though, on every cruise we have ever been on (including Carnival, NCL, Royal Caribbean, Holland America, Celebrity, Italian Line), our bed was made while we were at breakfast, and I would be very disappointed if I came back to my cabin after breakfast and it wasn't.

This is just my opinion, but it is obvious that the OP doesn't speak English and I think it is rude to mock this person for not expressing himself well in a language that is foreign to him. Have you ever tried to converse with someone in a foreign language while traveling. I have many times, but fortunately the other party was usually very understanding of the language problem.

Edited by Bridge Maven

Something just isn't right here. No cruise line threatens to remove passengers from the ship unless it's a real violation of the rules. The OP either was way out of control at guest relations or something else is at work here. And there are a number of employees who speak Russian, so all they needed to do was bring one of them in to alleviate the language barrier. I mean, I've seen a lot of angry passengers, who for one reason or another, get really worked up with the Guest Relations staff, but not once have I ever heard anyone threatened with removal. The OP must have done something pretty bad to get the removal threat.

As for the cleaning issue, I've seen plenty of "Do Not Disturb" signs on cabins that don't ever appear to be removed for the entire cruise. I was in a cabin next door to a couple who never wanted the steward in their cabin and only gave him their soiled towels and took new ones from him in the morning. But, the cruise line never threatened to remove that couple from the ship. It's their right not to have the steward in their cabin.

Now to address your complaints:

Do not like:

1) When planting select irons and folding knives Swiss

I guess you mean no irons or knives are allowed? If you've been on other cruise lines, like you claim, personal irons and certain knives are NEVER allowed on ships. This information is on Celebrity's website under "Items That Are Prohibited".

2) Swimming Pools I expected to be larger and deeper.

Again, if you've been on other ships, name one where the pools are deeper and larger? You're on a ship and space is valuable and no cruise line has Olympic size pools. They're all pretty much the same size.

3) In an indoor swimming pool for children under 18 are not allowed - even freeze on the deck :-)))

A lot of lines have pools that are for adults only. This information is clearly in the Celebrity brochure and on the website. And, if it really was that cold, Celebrity allows kids to use the indoor pool.

4) We do not go to a restaurant about him I can not say. The buffet food a lot, but it is monotonous. The buffet did not give the dishes in the restaurant. Sushi and sashimi are prepared not well.

Again, if you've been on other cruises, you know that buffets are basically the same on every line. They don't change the selection very much at all. As for sushi, if you want the good stuff, go to a sushi bar at home. Cruise ships are not known for first class sushi.

5) The library did not find any books in Russian. Now there is.

I'm Hungarian, and I've never seen any books written in Hungarian, or Swedish, or Swahili or a lot of languages. You're not going to find books in foreign languages unless the ship is based in that country. If you need Russian reading, it's best to bring your own or cruise on Russian ships.

6) Nowhere is it written that you can beach towels to take with you on the beach (after the scandal we were afraid to do it, he suddenly jumped ship :-)))

Sorry, that's totally wrong. There is a note with the beach towels that tell you what they're used for and that they can be taken to the pool or beach. That information is also in the daily newsletter. If you needed a translation, a trip to the Guest Services desk would have helped you get the basic meaning.

As for the language issue, I'm a bit suspect on that. In the first post, the OP's command of English is pretty bad, but in subsequent posts, he uses words and sentence structure that isn't consistent with the first post. Just right here with this statement, "I understand that the captain has the right to expel any passenger from the ship. But for my previous 10 cruises with various cruise companies to me no one has ever threatened." That's a pretty good command of the language that the OP claims not to have. Heck, that's better English than many of our native born Americans use on this board. So doesn't that make one suspect anything?

Edited by kitty9
  • Like 1

The staff and cabin stewards are responsible for other cabins and passengers besides yours. Even though you left for lunch it does not mean the staff was aware and were available to enter the cabin at that specific time. By dinner time the staff to clean the cabin are typically already done for the day. They do get time off even if the cruise is under way. To expect them to come back on the limited schedule as you dictate is not reasonable with all the responsibilities they have.

As someone else said you did get a copy of the rules. It is the same one I got in my cruise documents and what you agree to when you book passage. Perhaps Celebrity is not the line for you but based on the information you have provided. It sounds like the expectations you had were far different than what their line provides. That does not mean the company is bad but that you need to choose a cruise line that is more in line with your expectations.

You are so right on this. If you look, most of the cabin stewards are on their lunch break when we go to lunch, so of course they're not there to clean the cabin at certain times. Most passengers get their cabins cleaned before noon. If you leave your cabin for the first time after noon or 1pm, no one is going to be available to clean the cabins because the staff is on break.

I was on the same cruise as the Bees and also had no issues. My room steward figured out my typical schedule and always had my room cleaned by the time I got back to relax a bit before lunch. I never had to tell him what my schedule would be so he could attend to the room. Of course I also made sure to leave the room as tidy as possible so he did not have much to do and that could have something to do with it.

On one day I was there when they wanted to clean and I am not sure who argued more about who was going to leave. I kept insisting I was going to be in and out and the poor housekeeper kept insisting he would come back. We fought over who would get to leave not stay. :D I won.

I have to question whether it was the Equinox as a whole versus a few people who got new and inexperienced or less than stellar cabin attendants. I had not major issues in my entire 11 days on the ship.

I'm a little confused.

thanks

It's hard to believe people think it's funny to turn those "Do Not Disturb" signs around to "Make Up Room", sad but true.

We've cruised many lines. DH and I don't keep the same morning schedule. He's out early for a full breakfast and exercise. I like to sleep later and enjoy coffee until lunch time.

We prepare with pen & post-its to write our messages and manage the possibility that there is no cruise line provided sign. And in consideration of the cabin stewards time.

Color coded post it's help.

Marisela

Edited by USVI-4-me

I just wanted to say that on our last cruise, as we were leaving the ship at a port, a couple with strong accents was speaking with a crew member--obviously having some difficulty. Then someone yelled, "Here he comes!" and a Russian-speaking crew member came running up to converse with these passengers, who seemed so happy and relieved to be able to express themselves. I was very impressed that the crew had gone to some trouble to find someone who could speak with them. I bet with their multinational crew, they have just about every language covered.

Also, as we were approaching Greece, they had a little mini-Greek class led by one of the officers who was Greek--that was a nice touch. Efharisto!

• Like 1

• 7 years later...
2 hours ago, SergeiKa said:

Hello!

Again bought a cruise with Celebrity! Only now on Constellation.

They will have an opportunity to improve! ))

Although there are already difficulties - it is not clear with visas!

I hope there are not too many difficulties!  Have  wonderful cruise.

2 hours ago, SergeiKa said:

Hello!

Again bought a cruise with Celebrity! Only now on Constellation.

They will have an opportunity to improve! ))

Although there are already difficulties - it is not clear with visas!

Greetings,

You have posted on a 2012 post....

Why not start a new one and share your experiences with us.

Hope you have a fantastic cruise!