Is Princess charging for fuel?

improvman

I booked a cruise on the Sea Princess to Alaska, and saw the fine print about their right to charge up to $9 a day for fuel when it's over $70 a barrel, which it currently is. Are they currently taking advantage of the clause and charging for fuel? Thanks.

I booked a cruise on the Sea Princess to Alaska, and saw the fine print about their right to charge up to $9 a day for fuel when it's over $70 a barrel, which it currently is. Are they currently taking advantage of the clause and charging for fuel? Thanks.

No, not yet at least.

When Princess last eliminated the fuel surcharge, they indicated that the higher fuel princes would be taken care of in higher base cruise fares.

In general, fares are higher now that a couple of years ago, so you are paying for the increased costs as part of your cruise fare.

I highly doubt it is bringing their attention to it :) It is not like it is something they have forgotten about. Instead of charging the fuel surcharge they have just raised the cruise prices significantly more than the $9 per day. I am shocked at how much they have gone up over the last year.

I cant understand why people keep bringing this subject up Why bring to their attention that you are expecting the charge. Keep quiet about it seems the best way to go

Sometimes you can't win around here.

Maybe the OP is trying to be an informed consumer.

If the OP were to go and be charged a fee for the fuel surcharge and came here to complain, posters would say you should have done your research.:rolleyes:

Bill

• 1 month later...
I cant understand why people keep bringing this subject up Why bring to their attention that you are expecting the charge. Keep quiet about it seems the best way to go

I searched for this topic so I, like many others, could figure out my budget and how much to expect to pay for non negotiables.

The price of oil has been above $70 per barrel for a couple of years

and Princess has not implemented the surcharge.

You the paying cruise customer have been paying the fuel charge

whether directly or indirectly, known or unknown to you, whether admitted or kept secret! :)

Princess(and every other cruise line) has no intention of absorbing this operating cost.

It's now included in the general cost of everything, and might explain some of the cut-backs experienced.

Those among you who run a business know what I'm talking about. ;)

Cunard is the only Carnival Corp. brand currently charging a fuel supplement. I have read somewhere that Carnival Corp. has been particularly adept at buying fuel futures... that coupled with higher fares is allowing them to not charge the supplement for the majority of their brands.

You the paying cruise customer have been paying the fuel charge

whether directly or indirectly, known or unknown to you, whether admitted or kept secret! :)

Princess(and every other cruise line) has no intention of absorbing this operating cost.

It's now included in the general cost of everything, and might explain some of the cut-backs experienced.

Those among you who run a business know what I'm talking about. ;)

Yep, never a free lunch. When a tax is added the customer pay's I don't.

But it's a formula fight to keep business flowing.

framer

When Princess last eliminated the fuel surcharge, they indicated that the higher fuel princes would be taken care of in higher base cruise fares.

In general, fares are higher now that a couple of years ago, so you are paying for the increased costs as part of your cruise fare.

Fares high??? I thinkmthat princess are giving cruises away, 12 nights around the med for 799 usd. How low can they go

Fares high??? I thinkmthat princess are giving cruises away, 12 nights around the med for 799 usd. How low can they go

The prices listed in ther catalogs are higher than the prices listed two years ago. Poor sales at those prices lead to the great pricing you see now.

As above I REPEAT why keep bringing the subject up are we daft???:confused:

The prices listed in ther catalogs are higher than the prices listed two years ago. Poor sales at those prices lead to the great pricing you see now.

Noone ever pats catalog prices, with sales in the med are a disaster this season, prices are mega low, i doubt they are going to put sales at risk with there fuel supplement

With the US economy and unemployment still doing poorly, not to mention the Concordia disaster depressing sales plus extremely high airline flight costs, it's unlikely that a fuel supplement will be revived in the near future. Cruiselines don't need any more bad publicity.

With the US economy and unemployment still doing poorly, not to mention the Concordia disaster depressing sales plus extremely high airline flight costs, it's unlikely that a fuel supplement will be revived in the near future. Cruiselines don't need any more bad publicity.

I agree whith you wholeheartedly.

Even CCL has sent some of their fleet over to Europe this summer.

Heck it's a stretch on the budget to fly to Florida these days let alone fly to Europe.

i think a lot of Europeans will be seeing some really good fares this summer.

Bill

As above I REPEAT why keep bringing the subject up are we daft???:confused:

Personally, I don't think that management at princess is

sooooooooooo stupid that they have forgotten that they

can add the fuel surcharge.

This is a little different than the endless bragging about how

much wine and liquor people bring on board, as the bragging

shows how rampant the issue is.

Fuel prices are always a big consideration in the bottom line & since they feel that adding a fuel surcharge is counterproductive in selling people to book a trip they're begun to reduce the number of distant ports sailed to and quietly increased their profits without many people taking notice. Since we don't sail because of which ports our on the itinerary, it doesn't affect us but if that's your main concern it might.

Archived