Class Distinctions??

malony33

Another "thank you for your service"!!!!!!

Koko's Mom and Marebear,

Mahalo for your wishes.

Allow me to paint you the picture of "real" service. While crossing the Atlantic from Venice on Emerald Princess there was a vet get-to-gether at which we all stood and told our story. I came away with this knowledge. SERVICE is the guy who landed at Normadie on D Day with the Big Red One;(thereby paving the way for me to serve in the same division in occupied Germany '53.) SERVICE is the US Marine who landed on three Pacific atolls; SERVICE is the American waist gunner on a B-17 who flew fifteen mission; SERVICE is the RAF Lancaster bomber pilot who flew four mission over Germany; SERVICE is even the German private who served at Stalingrad and traded his tobacco ration for toilet paper and is now a US citizen.

SERVICE is also the lady who asked if she might say a few words at the conclusion of our meeting. Her late husband was a German Jew and escaped Germany before the war and went to America where he enlisted in the US Army and later fought in Europe.

However, I can't think of a word to describe what happened to the entire family he had left behind from grandparents, mother and father, brothers, sisters, nieces and nephews...they all parished in the gas chambers.

Her story made my eyes wet . ..still does.

If ever a man knew why and what he was fighting it was her late husband.

SERVICE was THE GREATEST GENERATION.:p

Benita, that is one thing old timers have seen. Often what was originally a "perk" (call it what you will) for the higher priced cabins has trickled down in time to the lower priced cabins. As has happened with the minibars.

One reversal of that trend, I guess, has come with the onset of restaurant booking being available online. In the good old days, everyone started out equal -- okay, some were more equal than others. They had the same benefits for the so-called elite passengers in terms of the number of guaranteed reservations BUT everyone made them at the same time. I am one who would like to see that egalitarianism return. Of course, given that most of the time people don't have a problem getting extra reservations (although there are no guarantees), it isn't that severe of a problem.

The hot breakfast issue in below-concierge cabins may have something to do with a lack of space for preparing a hot breakfast. The butlers have facilities where the breakfasts can be prepared. I'm not sure that the lower decks DO. And it might be difficult to go into Terrace or the GDR and order trays for people who are eating in their rooms, just because the restaurants are very busy at that time.

These are just a couple of guesses ... I have no idea if there is any validity to my thoughts!

Mura

(And Spook -- I, too, thank you for your service. But WHAT a difference between officers and G.I.s!)

Mura, I am glad they offer room service for specialty restaurants and breakfasts to the suites- frees up areas in the restaurants for the rest of us. I wish they could offer this to more people, then there would be even more room, but I guess that is not practical. I like eating in the venues - we had a PH on the Marina and had breakfast there once when we had a really early excursion, but I like being around people. Now that I get my refrigerator, I am happy - I do miss being able to make fun of Oceania over it, however, as it is a standard in all cabins on every other line. Now, if I could just be sure that I can get a reclining lounger on my B4 balcony.-LOL.

Just noticed that this thread was reactivated.

Much ado about absolutely nothing IMO.

I have sailed O in a PH and in and OV cabin. Not speck of difference in how you are treated or what you can do (other than the separate deck on the O class ships). Not a big deal. There is a spa and a pool you can use. LOL I suppose the room service menu issue irks some people but we don't ever eat in the cabin.

Why on earth would anyone pay more for a cabin if they weren't getting something extra???? These are very minor extras in the scheme of things. I'd rather have the extra $$$ and spend it on fabulous private excursions and shopping.

...One reversal of that trend, I guess, has come with the onset of restaurant booking being available online. In the good old days, everyone started out equal -- okay, some were more equal than others. They had the same benefits for the so-called elite passengers in terms of the number of guaranteed reservations BUT everyone made them at the same time....

Mura, do you remember that concierge and suite guests were allowed to book early, and got a separate reservation line? Concierge and above went to Polo, everybody else went to Toscana. I remember boarding in Miami in November, 2006 -- we were concierge, and our friends were not. They were sitting in a lounge area waiting to be allowed on board. He spotted us and came over to say hello -- over a barrier. We boarded about Noon, headed for Polo and made our reservations -- then they were allowed on board around 1:30 (they thought they'd have to wait until 3 PM, which is what their documents said), and we saw them in the line at Toscana.

Today, most of that has changed -- there is orderly booking on line, and guests are usually allowed to board when they show up (mostly due to early flights), although suggested times are later for non-concierge guests in an attempt to eliminate crowding.

So, the system was actually pretty close to the present system, except that the on-board reservation folks are not quite as harried.

I guess I didn't remember that -- probably because we never took advantage of the privilege!

So I stand corrected ... again!

Regarding your friends who were sitting in an area, waiting to board ... in Barcelona November 2005 we ran into a couple we'd met the day before on a day trip to Girona. They apparently were non-concierge, but I just said, "Come on up with us."

And nobody stopped them! But that probably was a fluke occurrence ...

Mura

Regarding your friends who were sitting in an area, waiting to board ... in Barcelona November 2005 we ran into a couple we'd met the day before on a day trip to Girona. They apparently were non-concierge, but I just said, "Come on up with us."

And nobody stopped them! But that probably was a fluke occurrence ...

Mura

Miami was notoriously tough in those days (and still is, which is why I hesitate to say that everyone can always board together), and Barcelona has always been a little looser. When we sailed out of Barcelona the first time, in 2007, were were in a Category C Oceanview and boarded before Noon!

The difference doesn't lie within Oceania, it has much more to do with the hired folks in the terminal -- usually Intercruises. Individual Intercruises folks are great, and many of them are a joy to be around, but their policies seem to differ in the different ports.

From the various posts I've read I agree that it probably depends on the port and the staff. And Miami seems to be particularly - er - "particular". We've only left from Miami twice and didn't run into these problems there. But then, we didn't know anyone yet when we boarded.

It is not surprising that Barcelona personnel would be looser.

We're boarding Regatta in Athens in 32 days ... wonder what we will find there? But we will be doing a morning tour to Corinth before going down to Piraeus so probably will be late enough that any and all can board.

Mura

We boarded the Riviera in May in Athens ... we were directed on to the ship to deck 5 and the check-in was accomplished on board in the lounge. We were in an Oceania suite and asked there was a separate line for higher level cabins but were told there was only one line. Not sure why Athens is different but Mura we would be interested in what you experience.

We boarded the Riviera in May in Athens ... we were directed on to the ship to deck 5 and the check-in was accomplished on board in the lounge. We were in an Oceania suite and asked there was a separate line for higher level cabins but were told there was only one line. Not sure why Athens is different but Mura we would be interested in what you experience.

That's most interesting. I don't think I have ever boarded Oceania when there was no separate "suite" line.

No, I retract that. When we took my Mom on a cruise from L.A. in February 2003 the lines were by alphabet, so we were in separate lines from her although next to each other. But certainly in the past few years there have been lines for suites and non-suites.

I wonder if perhaps your cruise had a lot of people continuing on from the prior cruise -- in that case they probably wouldn't need separate lines.

And our upcoming cruise from Athens is on Regatta, so it might be different just for that reason. (Or perhaps because it was one of the first cruises, if not THE first?)

Mura

I'll just keep it simple here. I always have to fly before I can get onto my cruise ship. And for my upcoming cruise, I'm going to have to fly overnight from North America to Europe. For me, that means: close to three hours dinking around the airport at home before I can even get near the plane. Then practically no sleep while on the plane. Then putting up with whatever the incoming country throws at me to even get into their country, all of which means (probably) standing up a lot more, smiling and trying not to appear to be a demented nutcase, while dragging my luggage wherever the uniforms tell me I have to go. Then I have to get myself and my luggage to the cruise terminal on my swollen ankles (in another language, using another currency).

And you're telling me that it's my just desserts because I paid less that I have to wait around some more just to get my sorry bones on board where I can finally sit down to wait for my cabin to be ready? Nuh-uh.

I don't care about hot breakfasts. Whatever. But nobody better tell me after twelve-plus hours of traveling and no sleep that I can't get to my final destination because I didn't shell out enough. That would be a bad idea.

I'll just keep it simple here. I always have to fly before I can get onto my cruise ship. And for my upcoming cruise, I'm going to have to fly overnight from North America to Europe. For me, that means: close to three hours dinking around the airport at home before I can even get near the plane. Then practically no sleep while on the plane. Then putting up with whatever the incoming country throws at me to even get into their country, all of which means (probably) standing up a lot more, smiling and trying not to appear to be a demented nutcase, while dragging my luggage wherever the uniforms tell me I have to go. Then I have to get myself and my luggage to the cruise terminal on my swollen ankles (in another language, using another currency).

And you're telling me that it's my just desserts because I paid less that I have to wait around some more just to get my sorry bones on board where I can finally sit down to wait for my cabin to be ready? Nuh-uh.

I don't care about hot breakfasts. Whatever. But nobody better tell me after twelve-plus hours of traveling and no sleep that I can't get to my final destination because I didn't shell out enough. That would be a bad idea.

You won't have to stand at the embarkation port until it is time for you to board. There will probably be chairs available and ice water or other cold beverages. And nobody gets to their final destination onboard until their stateroom is ready.

Oceania is sensitive to the fact that many people are in (pun intended) the same boat as you, which is why they don't enforce the boarding restrictions as strictly overseas as they do domestically.

However, there is no guarantee that you will be able to go directly from the Airport to the bed in your cabin on ANY Ship on ANY Cruise Line, so if that is of particular concern to you, you might want to look into booking a Day Room in a hotel in your embarkation port.

Oh, poor little you - my heart bleeds for you.

Fortunately, I have a perfect solution that will save you all that trouble - cancel the darned cruise and save yourself all those sleepless hours and waiting in endless lines (and lots of money too) :D

Oh my goodness, are you kidding me? Who forces you to take a cruise where you are in a different country or where you have to fly? Personal choice I would have thought. As or flying - try this, we are off soon on a cruise and we will be flying/travelling for approx 30 hours! My heart bleeds for you - why on earth do you bother to travel at all?:confused:

Look at it this way. It is a beautiful morning. Cool ocean breezes flow by your table on the fantail it is not too hot nor too cold. You have picked out your fresh fruit and hot choices for breakfast in the buffet. A friendly steward takes your plates and walks with you to your table and asks what you would like to drink. You ask for a latte, it comes hot from the barista. Conversations start with other friendly passengers marveling at the beauty of the sea and anticipation of the day's tour in port. All part of the regular mornings on Oceania. No crowds, no pushing, no one upping just enjoying a stress free day. That is one reason I like Oceania ships.

Stay home be happy!:rolleyes:

Relax, it's your holiday!

Mind you, I would suggest you avoid flying with budget airlines with no seat allocation or priority boarding like Ryanair.

Two hundred determined passengers all in a free-for-all, and eager to get to their final (sic) destination isn't a good idea........

.....or a pretty sight!

:eek:

Wassup, I completely agree that the worst part of a trip is getting there (and coming home) because flying pretty much sucks these days, even if you are up at the front of the plane. Customs is never fun, and Europeans give priority to EU citizens anyway -- at least in terms of having enough clerks to check your docs and stamp you in.

But as several have already said -- you can't get to your cabin until it is ready and they do happen to start with the more expensive ones. That's the way of the world. The odds are that you CAN get on board when you arrive, depending on how many have showed up already. If there is no more room in the Terrace Cafe or Waves, the odds are you'll have to wait to get on board.

But we all wait to get into our cabins unless we arrive later in the afternoon.

I remember watching the early morning flights arriving at the Hotel Churchill in Dover (this is back in Renaissance days). I've rarely seen such a shell shocked crew. We were fine because we'd come in two days before ... and that is one reason why we do come in early. Well, one of a few. We've had time to adjust to the time change for one thing. We've had a chance to see the departure port for another. And we're making sure we don't miss the ship entirely because the plane sat on the tarmac for 2-3 hours and arrived after the ship left.

I know not everyone has the time to add on a few days before and after the cruise, but it does make traveling a lot easier!

Mura

Not sure what your problem is :confused:

Most people fly in overnight to Europe, long flights no sleep ..

Fly in a day before & maybe the hotel will let you sleep in the lobby until your room is ready:rolleyes:

No sympathy here either

On one of our O cruises, the ship had just come from a TA. Nobody boarded until after 3 in the afternoon -- well after 3 -- and tempers were flaring. As far as ice water and snacks, finally around 2:30 someone showed up with a tray of something or other and a jug of something or other to drink. However, not nearly enough for everyone. There were several very unhappy folks waiting to get on the ship and someone heard it had to be inspected by the Coast Guard because it had just come from Europe. Dunno. So no matter what category you had, you couldn't get on. They ultimately let everyone on at the same time.

Archived