Question about heat/weather (Europe in August)

rmurray847

My wife and I are looking at a RCI cruise, 12 days in Mediterranean Round trip from Barcelona to Canne, Livorno, Rome, Naples, Venice, etc...ending up back in Barcelona. The date that works best for us by far is in late August.

But we also know this is pretty much the hottest time of year, especially in Italy. But we don't know HOW bad. The temps are mid to upper '80s, but humidity is high. Has any cruised this area during this time. How miserable (or not) was it? Did you feel that your ability to do/see everything you wanted was negatively impacted?

Also, we've only cruised in November before...so we don't know this either: how effective is air conditioning/climate control on ships, both cabins and in public spaces. If we're going to swelter while on land, at least, we hope, the ships will offer a refrigerated haven for us.

I appreciate any and all helpful hints, advice & comments. Thanks!

We are in Los Angeles. Obviously not as dry as New Mexico. We were in Rome the end of August/beginning of September 2010 and it was miserable for us. The temp was fine, it was the humidity that did us in. Seemed to be 90F and 95% humidity, not enought to rain. It's already getting hot and humid in Rome. DD was in Rome for last summer and it was the same, miserable. She said the only cool place was the cat sanctuary because it's underground.

Drink plenty of water. Use a water towel around your neck. Wear a hat.

There's that saying, "When in Rome........" Well there is a reason most of the Romans are not in Rome.;)

Did a Western Med cruise in early Sept. Only Rome was oppressive. It was 100 degrees and humid. Other port days were hot but we the hills of Tuscany, Provence, Corscia, Morocco , Barcelona all had a nice breeze.

The ship was fine, lots of AC in room and lounges, MDR etc.

Last August there was a heat wave and in Budapest it was 45 degrees Celsius in the sun and 40 degrees in the shade the day that we were there. We met people on our cruise that went to Rome pre-cruise when we were in Hungary and they said that it was brutal touring Rome in that heat. Later in the week during our Adriatic Sea cruise the temperature was in the 30-mid 30's and tolerable.

Rome can be very, very hot in August. We were there a few times when the temperatures were brutal but we had a great time anyway. :)

Athens is another city that gets really hot.

Well, then go.............

Dress accordingly; be aware it will be hot and so what? There were thousands of us touring and enjoying. Stay hydrated, rest when needed and go see the fabulous sights and be like all the rest of us were....... hot!!! :) Be sure to book an air conditioned hotel if you are doing a pre or post cruise stay. Do not assume all hotels in Europe are air conditioned as not all are.

Most ships are well air conditioned. You should feel very comfortable in the public ares and your cabin.

Go when the timing works best for you and you'll deal with the heat.

You're right, of course, Sail7seas. I think we're just trying to get a FEEL for what others have experienced. Guess we need a more "what the heck, let's do it" attitude. But the opportunity for us to cruise doesn't come up often, so want to make sure we don't have significant regrets.

I lived in Naples, Italy for two years and August can indeed be brutal. During the summer months the sirocco winds coming up from Africa into the northern Mediterranean can make it quite humid and very uncomfortable.

But as many have said tourists still flock there and still sightsee. Just be prepared and stay hydrated, wear a hat to protect you from the sun, and your clothes should be light colored and of light materials. Don't forget it you are visiting holy sights like St. Peter's Basilica there is a very strict dress code so don't get too skimpy in your outfits. ;)

We did the Med in mid August and we embraced the heat, lol.

Yes, it was hot, but we did all of our excursions without a problem. We did a lot of walking and hiking. Take water, wear a hat and use a good sunscreen.

If August is the only month that suits you, GO! You will have a great time.

It is hot. Just go expecting that, and if you happen to hit some more temperate weather, you'll be pleasantly surprised.

I know you specifically asked about the heat, but also you should be aware that August (especially the last two weeks of August) are a traditional holiday time in Europe. So not only will you encounter hordes of tourists from elsewhere, but also many Europeans who'll be traveling on vacation at that time.

If it's truly the ONLY time you can go, then go. You'll enjoy it despite the heat and crowds, I'm sure.

If August is the only month you can go I'll add this additional suggestion. Carefully plan your excursions so that you can get some relief in an air conditioned bus or van and tour site like museum. Choose ship excursions or private independent tours with roll call friends where you don't have to walk miles from place to place, (something we personally love to do), but instead have a ride waiting for you. Plan, plan, plan to find out which museums let you pre-book entry times so you don't have to wait on line in the heat. Understand that you may not have the energy to do more than a few sites so you will visit them another time. Choose the sites you visit wisely with consideration to the fact they will be hot and crowded.

If money is a consideration, forego the balcony cabin. While we all agree they are great, they can be pricey and in the heat and humidity you will probably prefer to take a nap in an air conditioned cabin after your day in port. Use the money you save on private tours. Both ship excursions and independent tours are expensive in most Med ports so they have to be added to your budget.

To answer your question about air conditioning on the ship, that has only been a problem with us once, in our cabin only. It was a ship specific problem. Still ended up with a sweater for dinner and show.

Just another wild suggestion - have you looked into a Baltic cruise rather than the Med. We went in late August and the weather was perfect. We saved the Med cruise for late October and the weather was 70s and fewer crowds.

For more info go to the Europe port of calls boards. To find people on your cruise to share tours go to the roll call for your cruise. Sorry, I didn't notice if you're experienced on Cruise Critics.

Any online weather site will be able to give you average temperatures for any city in the world, just so you know.

We DID look at weather sites, and we are well aware of the temps and the humidity. We were trying to get a FEEL for what that MEANS. 87 degrees sounds pretty pleasant to us in New Mexico, where it's dry. I've been in the South in July when it's 95 degrees & 100 percent humidity. THAT is darn near intolerable. These European temps fall somewhere else. Hence, our question.

Hot and crowded, our experience is a lot of 100+ temperatures. I can't honestly say I noticed the humidity. I've cruised the Med in the middle of August, because it was the only time we could go, and had a great time.

We DID look at weather sites, and we are well aware of the temps and the humidity. We were trying to get a FEEL for what that MEANS. 87 degrees sounds pretty pleasant to us in New Mexico, where it's dry. I've been in the South in July when it's 95 degrees & 100 percent humidity. THAT is darn near intolerable. These European temps fall somewhere else. Hence, our question.

That's what it felt like to us. But unlike the South there was never any mid afternoon rain shower to cool things down.

Another thing to realize is that the air conditioning in Europe is nothing like in the US. It's basically warm air blowing around. The tour buses I've been on in summer in Europe were downright horrible. And even the public buildings that claim to be air conditioned are nasty hot. I lived in Arizona for 11 years and the 110 degree heat was nowhere near as nasty as 85 or 90 in Europe in August.

We went in August, no question hot. It will be very different from the intense dry heat of southwest!

But given a choice of no vacation / beach or other or a whirlwind tour of Europe's most historic cities easy decision, European cruise!!

Ship and on deck was wonderful!

We did all private tours which was a bit better as the van could drop us so close to sites that minimized walking. This would be very different if you went DIY or took the big cruiseline bus tours. No question when you are out and about you knew it was summer. Athens Plaka, Naples Pompeii, Kusadasi Ephesus and Istanbul, Rome were a test for us. In hindsight nobody even my heat sensitive parents complained, all their memories of once in a lifetime visits!

I appreciate the advice, both encouraging and discouraging. I think we've pretty much decided to do it, and just sweat it out! The itinerary we're looking at is nearly perfect, as is the timing...so why settle for less interesting ports or less-than-ideal dates?

I'd love to keep hearing thoughts from other folks who have August experience!

I appreciate the advice, both encouraging and discouraging. I think we've pretty much decided to do it, and just sweat it out! The itinerary we're looking at is nearly perfect, as is the timing...so why settle for less interesting ports or less-than-ideal dates?

I'd love to keep hearing thoughts from other folks who have August experience!

Yeah, good for you! Perfect itinerary...perfect timing. You'll have a great time.

When I do the Med again, I think I'd even go as far to say I'd choose August again.

Go for it -- weather is likely to be hot and humid --- but not impossibly so. Good excuse for having a few gelatos -- along with the fair amount of water you should be drinking, while wearing a wide-brimmed hat (it really makes a difference). To the extent possible, do your touring early in the day - be first off the ship ----- the afternoon heat builds up until fairly late. The ships are generally very well air conditioned.

I think this is going to vary greatly from person to person. As you can see from some of the responses here, some people do quite well in hot, humid weather, and others avoid it at all costs.

Count me in the latter group. I live in North Florida, and I just won't travel anywhere in the summer anymore because I can't deal with heat and humidity. I have been in Europe numerous times in the summer, and I find it unbearable.

DH and I once did a Scandinavian cruise in the summer, and it happened that there was a terrible heat wave all over the continent that year. We could barely get around Stockholm for the heat. We took a taxi back to the air-conditioned ship as soon as we could. Our tour through the Hermitage museum in St. Petersburg (not air-conditioned at all) was a nightmare. European tour buses are poorly air-conditioned, if at all. It was an expensive cruise, and I was very disappointed.

So I'd just flat say no to a Med cruise in August. But if you're one of those who isn't deterred by heat and humidity, go for it.

Archived