dessert extravanganza

NoobCruise

On our Veendam cruise it was held in the Atrium on an afternoon. It was a clever use of the Atrium space on 3 floors, but not as beautiful as around the pool. This was on our 22 night repositioning cruise from South America. On the earlier 12 night leg around the horn (most people were on the 34 night cruise with both legs) the food was not eaten when it was held late at night, but this time it was mostly gone.

We did not have the vanilla chocolate fountain as depicted on the Youtube video and additionally no ice sculptures on this ship because they did have have a carver on board.

The other issue with the Atrium is that you had to walk up and down the stairs, although most desserts on all levels. We did have some fantastic displays, one with penguins and another with bees.

I was glad to see this as it was not held on the first 17 night leg of VOV last year from Boston to Amsterdam, as they saved it for the second leg from Amsterdam to Boston, even though the cruise was sold as a 17 night and an 18 night cruise.

The dessert all do look great. Unfortunately they do not taste great. I love HAL but their desserts have all started to taste the same at the extravaganza.

I still love to go and take pix but I rarely actually eat anything other than maybe a chocolate covered strawberry.

I agree 100%! My wife was so excited when she heard about the Dessert Extravaganza on our first HAL cruise and so disappointed afterwards. She did enjoy the fruit and chocolate fountain.

when was this Jacqui, do you remember? Was this indeed on the second formal night? That evening I was indeed already asleep by then, you are right, have to stay up.

I still can't believe we missed that :(

I believe it was - it was in the daily explorer;) It's usually offered on any cruise of a decent length. Glad you have booked again- you won't miss it this time:D

That makes me sad :( Why go to all the trouble of making all those fancy desserts - they sure take time and effort to make so pretty...and then leave them bland? So sad. Well, I still have to try them for myself just to be sure ;)

HAL needs to hire a pastry chef to teach the cooks how to make desserts.

Yes, they do have a (small) selection of sugar-free treats.

On our Maasdam cruise in March, the tables for the Dessert Extravaganza were set up on both sides of the lido pool, from end to end, plus chocolate fountains at one end. I do not think even half of the desserts were eaten. While the staff literally dumped what was left over onto flatbed carts, we overheard one of them say, "What a waste."

With all the work that went into creating the amazing-looking desserts, it was sad to see them being trashed.

On some ships there is a lot of waste.

Pies and cakes have to be dumped once they are cut.

But individual desserts -- like little tarts -- they try to save those and serve them the next day at lunch.

On our Veendam cruise it was held in the Atrium on an afternoon. It was a clever use of the Atrium space on 3 floors, but not as beautiful as around the pool. This was on our 22 night repositioning cruise from South America. On the earlier 12 night leg around the horn (most people were on the 34 night cruise with both legs) the food was not eaten when it was held late at night, but this time it was mostly gone.

We did not have the vanilla chocolate fountain as depicted on the Youtube video and additionally no ice sculptures on this ship because they did have have a carver on board.

The other issue with the Atrium is that you had to walk up and down the stairs, although most desserts on all levels. We did have some fantastic displays, one with penguins and another with bees.

I was glad to see this as it was not held on the first 17 night leg of VOV last year from Boston to Amsterdam, as they saved it for the second leg from Amsterdam to Boston, even though the cruise was sold as a 17 night and an 18 night cruise.

On our Noordam cruises last November -- they also had the dessert extravaganza on all 3 levels of the atrium. Only problem was they started to set it up at 3 PM -- removed many of the chairs and tables in the Ocean Bar as the Ocean Bar is part of the atrium.

That made it impossible to enjoy the Happy Hour.

Sadly, they do have pastry chefs. When we did the ship tour on Zuiderdam, we saw one of the "pastry chefs" at work in the galley. I wanted to ask him why the cakes had no flavor, but thought that would be rude, so I (uncharacteristically) held my tongue.

Actually, not all the desserts are bad. It's mostly the cakes that have no flavor. Creme brulee and apple strudel were good. And then there's the addictive bread pudding at the Lido...

In our experience things vary from ship to ship. We've only been on three HAL cruises. The Extravaganza is ALWAYS something to see and photograph. On the first cruise, the tarts were good, the cakes bad. On the next cruise, the cakes were TO DIE FOR, the tarts tasted like glue. On the third cruise, everything was outstanding.

I totally agree and to call it a chocolate whatever is a stretch as the 3 I have attended had some chocolate but not much compared to the other things. Then again on our last trip on Rotterdam this past winter they did not even have one....just a mini one in Lido at lunch one day.

I just viewed the video -- everything does look beautiful.

I don't know if it is just me or what -- but a few of the staff at the beginning of the video looked tired.

I didn't notice tired looking staff, but I sure did notice two audio references to the "elderly". At what age are we considered "elderly"? Humph!

At what age are we considered "elderly"? Humph!

I'm willing to be considered "elderly" at any age someone is willing to give extra benefits or services to me. :D

I'm willing to be considered "elderly" at any age someone is willing to give extra benefits or services to me. :D

Good point, Ruth. I never pass up the discounts. I've even been known to eat at IHOP just to get the Buy-one-get-one for seniors. :)

Archived