MS Volendam - First Inside Passage Cruise of the Season (Review)

BrianC-80

I'll start this review by saying that I've never been on a cruise before. My brother and sister-in-law has cruised on Royal Caribbean before and always praised it, but given that one of those enormous ships are quite a world away from the MS Volendam, I was essentially taking a fresh look. Plus we weren't sure if we'd enjoy it (the wife and I). I used to work for the NAAFI aboard HMS Albion and Bulwark, and so I've been to sea for extended periods (longest was over six weeks at a time), but the wife had never been aboard before.

So we got all prepped and pre-ordered two soda cards prior to boarding as neither of us drink. After asking around on the Facebook page we boarded just after midday last Wednesday and had a very pleasant experience boarding - we were even recommended the bread pudding during the boarding - I'm sure any HAL regular would agree with!

We got to our cabin, 1858 down on the Dolphin Deck. Now I can't praise that cabin enough - everything worked fine, only had some minor issues with our moronic neighbours that left an alarm clock going off in the early hours of the morning while they weren't in the room (but we called the front office and they sent someone up who entered the room and turned the alarm off), and the occasion sound of thrash metal coming through the wall - but nothing I can hold to HAL!

We generally had breakfast in the lido (we only ate in the Rotterdam for breakfast on the first day), and always had lunch in the lido (except for one day when we had room service), and always ate in the Rotterdam for dinner (except for a trip to the Canneletto on Ketchikan night).

Ironically as I'm typing this in my hotel room in Vancouver I just heard the ship's horn signalling the Volendam leaving port to go out on the second IP trip of it's season.

Anyway, back to the food. Generally it was good. I had one steak which was overcooked, but still very edible. My wife did however have one half of a steak which was massively undercooked and had she not ordered two starters that evening then we would have sent it back. Only food I found lacking was the desserts in general - while there were some standouts (the bread pudding and the lemoncello in the Canneletto), in general it all seemed to be very moussey and with no real taste to it. I think the baked alaska had potential but I think I simply chose a bad evening to try it as it changes each night. Although sometimes the dishes aren't quite what you expect from the description, they generally are very tasty, if quite rich.

The self service ban for the first two days is quite annoying, but I can understand it, and if we were cruising for longer than seven days then I think that I'd barely remember it. Certainly having the taco stand open only on day three onwards was a nice taste of home halfway through the trip when it was needed.

I'll get onto the stops in a moment, but just to say that HAL couldn't have gone further with the events on sea days. The best things we did were the towel folding demonstrations, although I can say that there was never a bad thing being demonstrated in the culinary centre and that was apparently with a reduction in the number of events as the Party Planner only joined in Juneau. Never saw the films there, but the ones on the TV were good enough for us, but we tried not to sit in our stateroom too much.

The only downside to the trip was the problem with the soda cards. We pre-ordered them and they never arrived. So we complained to three different people on the first day and eventually by dinner we got given replacement cards. But we went to use them on day two and they'd been cancelled. So after complaining some more, by dinner once more we had been given paper slips to record our drinks on, and then finally overnight the proper cards were slipped under our door. If we hadn't pre-ordered them, then we could simply have picked them up on day one after boarding as they were selling them in the lido. One other issue was Tracy Arm cruising. The online itinary has it listed prior to arriving in Juneau, but we never did it and no one said why - one of our dinner tablemates complained to the front office and they claimed it was never on the itinary and wasn't listed on the website. I have the booking documents to say otherwise - I'm sure Glacier Bay blows Tracy Arm out of the water and overall the good experiences vastly outweighed those two issues.

So onto the ports - now we did this entire trip on a reduced budget - we had actually won the cruise through the Canadian Tourist Board, and so we didn't have anything in the budget for excursions. At Juneau we got off and jumped on a local bus to Mendenhall Glacier at a far cheaper cost than the HAL excursion (which also included some extras which we weren't interested in doing), we went hiking around the area in an attempt to do some Geocaches (which was a complete failure in Juneau), and found that due to there being only being one ship in town this early in the season that it felt like we had our own private glacier. Simply amazing.

Second stop was Skagway. In Juneau it rained a bit (we had expected this and were wearing waterproofs), but in Skagway it was lovely - like a bright warm winters day. Having no excursions we walked around the tourist areas and went two blocks west to the local area too, and stocked up on some snacks from the supermarket. I can't stress enough that I loved Skagway, from the wooden walkways and just frankly how pleasant everyone was, it was a delight. Also anyone going this year I recommend the new popcorn place on the main drag a couple of stores short of the theatre - it's a locally run store and the cheese popcorn was just delicious.

Glacier Bay was something I will never forget. Despite the snow, dense fog and strong winds, the Marjorie Glacier was worth the cost of the entire cruise alone (had we paid for it). Breathtaking and unforgettable, and the rangers helped us understand it greatly.

Ketchikan was our last stop and we were warned it was rainy. Well that's an understatement - it was as if the sky decided it wanted to punish the ground with rain. We still went out but towards the end my waterproofs were beginning to fail - we didn't get out to either the totem park nor the village... but well, I can see why people do the inside passage more than once, so I'm sure we'll get it next time. But so much water. They need to paint everything in neon colors and call it a water park.

Our one sad thing was that the ship passed a pod of 30 or so whales on the way out of Vancouver, and apart from seeing one single water blow from our cabin's window, we were on the wrong side of the ship and completely missed it. But last night as we returned to Vancouver, at about 6:30pm local, we were sitting the crows nest bar and we spotted three Orcas swimming past on the surface. It could have only have been spotted by the twenty or so of us in there at the time, and it felt as if Canada/Alaska had repaid us for our patience.

All in all, it was one of the most wonderful holidays I've ever been on. We've already decided that it will not be our last cruise and we're looking at a cruise from Dover to Scandinavia possibly for 2014 unless we get a seriously good deal next year. HAL has turned a cruise doubter and his doubting wife into two cruise addicts. I totally get it now. If I had the money for it and could get the time off work, I'd already be booking a cruise for later in the summer! :)

Couldn't have asked for a better time. Thanks HAL!

Very happy to hear that we have another cruise convert among us. I could tell by reading your review how thrilled you were with your cruise. We might have to put The Inside Passage on our 'to do' list.

Thank you very much for your review. And before the ship even leaves for her next cruise!

thank you for a refreshing review. Alaska is always a good choice for a first cruise. she will hook you and you will be back. We are going for our third Alaska cruise this summer on the 14 day Amsterdam.

Hope you get a good deal on your next cruise and welcome to Cruise Critic.

Thank you for taking the time to review your cruise. My first cruise was on the Volendam to Alaska and we too had a wonderful time. Back in 2008 the desserts on HAL were quite good. In 2011 we felt like you did this year...so many mousse type desserts that all tasted the same. This is part of the budget cuts all cruise lines are making. To keep prices down, they are all trying to cut expenses, and desserts is one place they are doing that.

My guess is that you did not get into Tracy Arm because of the icing. It can be difficult to get into the fjord in early May. All cruise contracts have fine print that says itineraries may have to be changed due to weather or conditions. Usually, however, they do let you know this on board. The captain would typically make the announcement. Too bad you didn't find someone who could have explained this to you. The fjord is beautiful and I am sorry you missed it. This HAL itinerary with both Glacier Bay and Tracy Arm is a jackpot scenic cruise if you can get to both. Unfortunately, people are not always aware that time of year can determine if you will actually get to both.

Thanks again for your review.

Thank you for taking the time to review your cruise. My first cruise was on the Volendam to Alaska and we too had a wonderful time. Back in 2008 the desserts on HAL were quite good. In 2011 we felt like you did this year...so many mousse type desserts that all tasted the same. This is part of the budget cuts all cruise lines are making. To keep prices down, they are all trying to cut expenses, and desserts is one place they are doing that.

My guess is that you did not get into Tracy Arm because of the icing. It can be difficult to get into the fjord in early May. All cruise contracts have fine print that says itineraries may have to be changed due to weather or conditions. Usually, however, they do let you know this on board. The captain would typically make the announcement. Too bad you didn't find someone who could have explained this to you. The fjord is beautiful and I am sorry you missed it. This HAL itinerary with both Glacier Bay and Tracy Arm is a jackpot scenic cruise if you can get to both. Unfortunately, people are not always aware that time of year can determine if you will actually get to both.

Thanks again for your review.

I agree that ice was probably the problem. Odd that they didn't announce it.

To the OP, you knew one of the most important things before you boarded--head for that wonderful bread pudding!!!! If you're thinking about a Scandanavia cruise, do it! I think Geirenger Fjord in Norway is even more beautiful than Glacier bay. There are many different itineraries for Scandanavia, so research the ports before you choose your cruise, so you can see the ports that match your interests best.

Thanks for posting your review.

Thouroughly enjoyed your review!!But I do have one question for you..."and the occasion sound of thrash metal coming through the wall - but nothing I can hold to HAL!"" What is a Thrash Metal??

Joanie

Thanks for the report. I am still glad to hear the Volendam is a fine ship. Once in Ketchikan I actually experienced sun-shine all day. The locals thought the "Second Coming" must be around the corner.

Thanks for the report. I am still glad to hear the Volendam is a fine ship. Once in Ketchikan I actually experienced sun-shine all day. The locals thought the "Second Coming" must be around the corner.

The day we were in Ketchikan the locals were thrilled with the rain. It had been sunny for at least a week and they needed a good rain to wash out the river. It was September, lots of spawning salmon, and Creek Street was rather "fragrant."

Thank you for your review. I will be on this same ship in just a week and cannot wait. This will be our second trip with HAL to Alaska, the first out of Seattle. What movies played on the TV that you enjoyed? How was the scenery on the first sea day through the inside passage?

Certainly having the taco stand open only on day three onwards was a nice taste of home halfway through the trip when it was needed.

Thank you for posting your lovely review. I'm so glad you enjoyed Alaska and your cruise. I think anyone who has been to Alaska understands your desire to return again. It's a magical place that will grab your heart and soul in a way you never imagined.

I'm just curious about one thing. Your profile says you're from the UK but you said that the taco stand was a "nice taste of home." Excuse my ignorance but I never thought that tacos were a common meal in the UK. Of course, I adore Mexican food and could eat it every day but I live in Texas and there's a Mexican food restaurant on every block. You've certainly expanded my knowledge of what the British like to eat. :)

Thank you for posting your lovely review. I'm so glad you enjoyed Alaska and your cruise. I think anyone who has been to Alaska understands your desire to return again. It's a magical place that will grab your heart and soul in a way you never imagined.

I'm just curious about one thing. Your profile says you're from the UK but you said that the taco stand was a "nice taste of home." Excuse my ignorance but I never thought that tacos were a common meal in the UK. Of course, I adore Mexican food and could eat it every day but I live in Texas and there's a Mexican food restaurant on every block. You've certainly expanded my knowledge of what the British like to eat. :)

My wife is from Wisconsin, and I've always been a big fan of Mexican food - in fact there's only three Taco Bells in the UK at the moment, and I've been to two of them!

When I say home, it's only because we buy overpriced cheese wizz from importers and in particular it was that on taco meat on top of nachos that reminded me of a home cooked meal (mind you, the wife will kill me if she reads that!).

Thouroughly enjoyed your review!!But I do have one question for you..."and the occasion sound of thrash metal coming through the wall - but nothing I can hold to HAL!"" What is a Thrash Metal??

Joanie

Its a type of heavy metal with a really fast drum beat. I mean really really fast. Unless you like virtually listening to angry white noise, I wouldn't recommend it.

Brian, thanks for your great review - it sounds like you had a great time! We will be on the Volendam a week from today for the same trip.

Lynda

It's a good run. And cruise director David will see you.... around the ship.

Don't worry, you'll understand once onboard. ;)

Thank you for your review. I will be on this same ship in just a week and cannot wait. This will be our second trip with HAL to Alaska, the first out of Seattle. What movies played on the TV that you enjoyed? How was the scenery on the first sea day through the inside passage?

Let's see, the ones I remembered were Captain America, The Longest Yard (2005 version), My Fair Lady, Green Lantern... I forget the others. Basically there's a channel just rotating three or four movies a day.

There's also the DVD collection, and there's a booklet on it in your stateroom - it's got a rather eccletic collection... for instance, it has every series of the new version of Doctor Who, but only series two of True Blood, and series two and three of Mad Men. I also remember that they had both Star Wars and Star Wars IV: A New Hope... I don't know what they meant by the difference because they didn't list any other star wars related films. But joking aside there are plenty of films.

The films being played in the actual cinema were the same period films as on our flight over, so I remember War Horse, then there was a film with Queen Latifa and Dolly Parton too, and the most recent Twilight. Those change daily.

Scenary was great, apart from the wet day in Ketch, we had good weather the entire time except for nearby the John Hopkins inlet in Glacier bay where it was snowing heavily (although it makes for pretty photographs and was quite fun at the time!).

The self service ban for the first two days is quite annoying

Firstly thanks so much for your review, greatly appreciated.

We will be taking our first HAL cruise on the same itinerary in June 2013 and even though it is 13 months away we are already getting excited. :)

Can you, or anyone else, please explain what the 'self service ban' is please and what impact it has?

thanks, Graham

Thanks for the review, wow winning a free cruise is great! Glad you and your wife had a good time. I think you show a trait that seperates those who can enjoy cruising and those who can't. Some would have not gotten over Tracey Arms exclusion. You just rolled with the punches.

Thank you for your review - the first cruise is the magical one! I especially appreciate you're talking about just walking around the towns rather than do ship's excursions - I've been thinking more and more of doing that.

DS geocaches, too. On our recent Panama Canal Cruise, he found virtual caches in Aruba and the canal, and both virtual and ground caches in Fort Lauderdale and San Diego. Really added another fun dimension to our cruise.

:)

Can you, or anyone else, please explain what the 'self service ban' is please and what impact it has?

thanks, Graham

For the first 48 hours on HAL cruise ships, the staff serves you the food in the Lido (buffet) rather than you using utensils to serve yourself. As I understand it, HAL does this in an attempt to cut down the risk of germ transfer. They know that some people will not answer their pre-boarding health survey honestly, will mingle on the ship and go to eat in the Lido. The Lido is one place where germs could be easily transferred, since everyone would be handling the serving utensils. This gives HAL a few days to make sure there are no major illness outbreaks. If there would be, then the staff would continue to serve.

Brian,

I am glad that you enjoyed your first cruise on the Volendam. She is indeed a fine ship. I disembarked the vessel in Vancouver after 37 days, having boarded in Auckland, as you were preparing to board. I found the crew to be exceptional with exemplary service. Cuisine was quite good as well. I, and others, felt that our cruise experience was of a very high caliber.

My cabin was forward of yours--# 1840. Were your cabin stewards Mada and Umam? They did an excellent, efficient job.

Welcome to the addictive world of cruising!

Archived