Passports

shunt66

Yes, I do know that (though only half the provinces have Enhanced Driver's Licenses available).....Ironically, what I've heard most often about it is people saying "I'm not going to pay extra for one of those, I'll use my passport instead." :)

Bingo...why pay extra when you have something else that does the job...and I'll wager that Canadians who do no more international travel than driving to the US and have EDLs say exactly the same about getting a passport.

Children's passports are only good for 5 years, mainly because children can change so much so fast. Once the young person reaches 16 years of age, they can receive an adult passport that is good for 10 years. Unfortunately, the children's passport is only slightly less expensive. On the plus side, a young person who does not have any other ID can get a job or driver's license with just a Passport, since it proves their age, who they are and that they are entitled to be here. So it counts as everything for the I9 form when you start working.

Not quite. They also need a second form of ID to complete the ID. A SS card works.

Not quite. They also need a second form of ID to complete the ID. A SS card works.

Sorry, but no. On the I9 form, a person must present a document from List A, including a US Passport OR a document from List B AND List C. List B includes Driver's License and List C includes the SS card. An employee must tell their employer the social security NUMBER so that taxes and FICA can be withheld and credited to the correct person, but they are NOT required to actually present their social security card for the I9 form.

Many employers want to see/make a copy of the ss card to ensure that the numbers were written down correctly and not transposed, however there is not a legal requirement that the card actually be presented. Documentation of this may be found on the US Government site, which allows you to download the I9 and the instructions.

A Passport establishes both identity and employment authorization since a person with a US Passport is a US Citizen and therefore legally entitled to work in the US. A person does not need to be a US Citizen to get a driver's license in the US.

But back to the topic at hand, for the parent(s), I would strongly recommend a passport without a doubt. For any child 16 or older, I would strongly recommend a passport. Personally, I would purchase a passport for a child under 16 as well, even knowing that they are only good for 5 years. But the choice is yours, OP. Many, many people sail on closed loop cruises without passports. At the present time, the cost for you is $135, which is averaged to $13.50 per year. The cost for the kids is $105, which is $21.25 per year they are good. Looking at it that way, it isn't too expensive.

No, my assertion wasn't that all Americans avoid having a passport, but that those that don't want to have a passport are almost always Americans. Perhaps I worded my initial post incorrectly.

Still generalizing. IMO

Sorry, but no. On the I9 form, a person must present a document from List A, including a US Passport OR a document from List B AND List C. List B includes Driver's License and List C includes the SS card. An employee must tell their employer the social security NUMBER so that taxes and FICA can be withheld and credited to the correct person, but they are NOT required to actually present their social security card for the I9 form.

I stand corrected. I always looked at that form as A OR B __ AND C. Not A __ OR B AND C. I wonder if I'm the only one... Obviously I'm not the HR/payroll person at my company.

No, my assertion wasn't that all Americans avoid having a passport, but that those that don't want to have a passport are almost always Americans. Perhaps I worded my initial post incorrectly.

Probably because most other countries you can't leave without having a passport.

Probably because most other countries you can't leave without having a passport.

Perhaps I misunderstand your post and am sorry if that is the case but the way I read your comment, you imply an American can board a plane to a foreign country without presenting a valid passport. That is not the case. You will be be permitted on that plane with that passport.

Being that I'm struggling to come up with the last $600 to finish paying for the cruise and then need to save money for the trip, I don't think I can find the $500 needed for passports. Guess I'll just have to plan carefully and hope for the best.

Being that I'm struggling to come up with the last $600 to finish paying for the cruise and then need to save money for the trip, I don't think I can find the $500 needed for passports. Guess I'll just have to plan carefully and hope for the best.

Relax. The chances of something happening during the few hours you are on foreign soil on a closed-loop cruise is extremely small...despite the dire warnings of some here. That is why the government allows this exception to the rule. Just use your common sense in ports, stay away from questionable excursions, make sure you have the emergency number from the cruiseline (it's usually in the dailys) when you go on shore, and give yourself plenty of extra time to get to the port. We have done 9 cruises with our BC and DL with absolutely no issues. I don't plan on purchasing a passport until I go on a trip where one is required. I don't spend my money unnecessarily, especially when the risks are as small as these are and if something did happen you will not be left stranded.

Guess I'll just have to plan carefully and hope for the best.

Yup, that's what we all do when circumstances don't allow us to do everything we want. The vast majority of time it's not a problem; just be aware of the risks and do what else you can to minimize them.

We always travel with our passports. Internationally AND domestically (when we fly). It's not only easier for us to carry and keep track of, but it makes the job easier for those checking you in (at airports, cruise terminals, etc). Less clutter, less having to search for names/birthdates and compare, etc.

I work in the travel industry. My advice. Get a passport. It's not only a security blanket for "what ifs", but here's the scenario I always give:

What if you won an all expenses paid trip around the world, but had to leave tomorrow? You'd be SOL if you didn't have a passport :)

We always travel with our passports. Internationally AND domestically (when we fly). It's not only easier for us to carry and keep track of, but it makes the job easier for those checking you in (at airports, cruise terminals, etc). Less clutter, less having to search for names/birthdates and compare, etc.

I work in the travel industry. My advice. Get a passport. It's not only a security blanket for "what ifs", but here's the scenario I always give:

What if you won an all expenses paid trip around the world, but had to leave tomorrow? You'd be SOL if you didn't have a passport :)

I'd have to turn it down because I couldn't afford to leave my job and my unattended for a year at the last moment and wouldn't sign up to try to win it in the first place. That is such an unrealistic scenerio:rolleyes:. I would have more of chance of being left on the island, which is such an extremely small chance to begin with, which is why I don't worry about it in the slightest.

I don't have clutter with BC & DL (which we would have with us anyways...even if we did have passports). The BC's are all together in a folder. I had them over with our DL. They check them like they do the people with passports. We are usually through the line just as quickly as the people with passports. We have never had an issue with that.

Being that I'd have to get them this week to have them in time, and I have to pay off the cruise this week, I have to pick one. I know someone above said it's painless, but not when you aren't rich, and you have 3 kids you'd have to pull out of school during exam time to get there before they close.

[quote name='shunt66']...and you have 3 kids you'd have to pull out of school during exam time to get there before they close.[/quote]

I asked this of you earlier in post #15 and you didn't reply; [B]for what reason[/B] are you "pulling your kids out of school during exam time"? I'm afraid I don't understand. Sincerely asking, not being sarcastic.

[quote name='shunt66']Being that I'd have to get them this week to have them in time, and I have to pay off the cruise this week, I have to pick one. I know someone above said it's painless, but not when you aren't rich, and you have 3 kids you'd have to pull out of school during exam time to get there before they close.[/quote]

If you (generic you, not specific you) can't do it for other reasons in your life, you can't do it.....but just don't pretend that it means that they're not important or that there aren't risks involved in traveling out of the country without one. You try to minimize the risks in whatever ways are available to you.

[quote name='njhorseman']...and I'll wager that Canadians who do no more international travel than driving to the US and have EDLs say exactly the same about getting a passport.[/quote]

You are mistaken with respect to Canadians. About twice the overall percentage of Canadians hold passports compared with U.S. citizens. [URL]http://articles.cnn.com/2011-02-04/travel/americans.travel.domestically_1_western-hemisphere-travel-initiative-passports-tourism-industries?_s=PM:TRAVEL[/URL]

My family is transbordered. Until 9/11, it was random chance who lived where. While the sample may not be "statistically significant", my extended family and friends who live within minutes of the border number over 100.

100% of the Canadians have passports. Not EDL, not Nexus: just passports. And very few of them travel anywhere except the U.S.

Did I mention they ALL have passports?

About a third of the U.S. citizens have passports. And only ONE has an EDL instead (well, actually a passport card, since she quit driving).

The rest have just stopped crossing the border. "We can just meet on this [I]side of the river[/I] can't we? You don't mind, do you? You can get cheaper gas here." "Gosh, I miss butter tarts and nanaimo bars. You can bring me some, right?"

When I ask, "Look - why don't you just get a passport? Or EDL? Or passport card?" the answer is, "But I don't [B]need[/B] one!"

My dear family and friends: clearly, you[B] do.[/B] At least, you do if you want your nanaimo bar/butter tart fix. No more enabling from me!

Please note that the "we can drive for days without crossing an international border" situation also applies to Canadians. So, there must be some other difference to account for the huge gap in passport ownership.

CalliopeCruiser got dumped on for speculating WHAT the difference is. But, U.S. citizens who insist there *isn't* a difference in attitude in the population as a whole? Respectfully, wrong. The attitude is far less prevalent among CC'ers...my favo(u)rite people. :)

PS- about the only place I don't take my passport is the shower. But, in my case, I really could go out for groceries, and decide on the spur of the moment - might as well get them in a different country.

[quote name='calliopecruiser']If you (generic you, not specific you) can't do it for other reasons in your life, you can't do it.....but just don't pretend that it means that they're not important or that there aren't risks involved in traveling out of the country without one. You try to minimize the risks in whatever ways are available to you.[/quote]

Agree. Completely.

"I don't need a passport" is true - until it isn't.

[quote name='fann1sh']You are mistaken with respect to Canadians. [COLOR="Red"]About twice the overall percentage of Canadians hold passports compared with U.S. citizens.[/COLOR] [URL]http://articles.cnn.com/2011-02-04/travel/americans.travel.domestically_1_western-hemisphere-travel-initiative-passports-tourism-industries?_s=PM:TRAVEL[/URL]

My family is transbordered. Until 9/11, it was random chance who lived where. While [COLOR="Red"]the sample may not be "statistically significant",[/COLOR] my extended family and friends who live within minutes of the border number over 100.

100% of the Canadians have passports. Not EDL, not Nexus: just passports. And very few of them travel anywhere except the U.S.

Did I mention they ALL have passports?

About a third of the U.S. citizens have passports. And only ONE has an EDL instead (well, actually a passport card, since she quit driving).

The rest have just stopped crossing the border. "We can just meet on this [I]side of the river[/I] can't we? You don't mind, do you? You can get cheaper gas here." "Gosh, I miss butter tarts and nanaimo bars. You can bring me some, right?"

When I ask, "Look - why don't you just get a passport? Or EDL? Or passport card?" the answer is, "But I don't [B]need[/B] one!"

My dear family and friends: clearly, you[B] do.[/B] At least, you do if you want your nanaimo bar/butter tart fix. No more enabling from me!

Please note that the "we can drive for days without crossing an international border" situation also applies to Canadians. So, there must be some other difference to account for the huge gap in passport ownership.

CalliopeCruiser got dumped on for speculating WHAT the difference is. But, U.S. citizens who insist there *isn't* a difference in attitude in the population as a whole? Respectfully, wrong. The attitude is far less prevalent among CC'ers...my favo(u)rite people. :)

PS- about the only place I don't take my passport is the shower. But, in my case, I really could go out for groceries, and decide on the spur of the moment - might as well get them in a different country.[/QUOTE]

A higher percentage of Canadians hold passports because you don't have as many international travel options as Americans if you don't have passports...you're limited to land or water crossings to the US with an EDL or similar document...anywhere else requires a passport. Many Canadians take cruises that depart from US ports and must have a passport to do so, while Americans don't for closed loop itineraries (which comprise the vast majority of cruises departing US ports). Also Canada doesn't have the variety of climate conditions that the US does, so domestic travel in Canada can't take you to places anything like Hawaii, Florida, Puerto Rico and the US Virgin Islands...all domestic flights for US citizens, with nothing required for our travel there other than a photo ID.

So, for all intents and purposes you're stuck at home (Canada), regardless of the physical size of that home, without a passport, while Americans aren't nearly so limited.

I'm a mathematician...and you're right about one thing...the sample that consists of your family isn't statistically significant.;)

[quote name='njhorseman']Also Canada doesn't have the variety of climate conditions that the US does.[/quote]

Actually we do, or at least very close......rain forest to desert, arctic ice floes to year-round beaches. We're a country as varied as the US, which shouldn't be surprising given the vast size of the country.

[quote name='calliopecruiser']Actually we do, or at least very close......rain forest to desert, arctic ice floes to year-round beaches. We're a country as varied as the US, which shouldn't be surprising given the vast size of the country.[/quote]

[B] I'm not being 'smart'.... actually I'm being dumb as I have no idea where Canada has desert. Desert, Really?

[/B]

[quote name='sail7seas'][B] I'm not being 'smart'.... actually I'm being dumb as I have no idea where Canada has desert. Desert, Really? [/B]

[/quote]

[FONT=Palatino Linotype][SIZE=3][COLOR=navy][URL="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_North_American_deserts"]List of North American Deserts[/URL][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

[FONT=Palatino Linotype][SIZE=3][COLOR=navy]FWIW, I didn't realize Canada had deserts either, Sail.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

[quote name='sail7seas'][B] I'm not being 'smart'.... actually I'm being dumb as I have no idea where Canada has desert. Desert, Really? [/B]

[/quote]

Carcross Desert, Yukon Territories
[IMG]http://i46.tinypic.com/34huxlh.jpg[/IMG]

:)

Archived