Balcony or Ocean View on Panama Canal?

rfamily6

Considering a Panama Canal cruise next spring. For those who have gone, which is better, balcony or ocean view? Trying to decide if it's worth the money. I've heard that the best way to experience going through the canal is on the very front of the ship...that you can't really see much with a balcony. I've also heard that trying to get a spot on the front of the ship for viewing can turn into a bit of a "free for all."

We were on the Island last Fall in a mini suite. Viewing the transit from the verandah was not the reason we selected a mini ... other reasons. Truthfully, we only went back to our cabin and onto the verandah on Canal day for a brief period to download photos to our laptop. For the most part, we were out on deck all day long.

Canal day we got up really early, had breakfast, then went out on the front Caribe deck for the first part of the approach and transit. Seemed that the Caribe deck was deeper, front to back, than the forward Baja deck. Yes, it can get crowded but it wasn't a zoo. As the day progressed, we moved around a lot, and had lunch while we were in Gatun Lake.

So, get up early and stake out your rail position for the approach and beginning of the Canal transit. After that, people disburse around the ship.

To answer your balcony vs. oceanview ... only you can determine if you want to spend the money but, like I said, we didn't spend Canal day out there. Some people seemed to do so, but I don't think that was typical. Well, cuz you only see one side!

Considering a Panama Canal cruise next spring. For those who have gone, which is better, balcony or ocean view? Trying to decide if it's worth the money. I've heard that the best way to experience going through the canal is on the very front of the ship...that you can't really see much with a balcony. I've also heard that trying to get a spot on the front of the ship for viewing can turn into a bit of a "free for all."

On both of our Panama Canal partial transits, we had inside cabins. On Canal day, we were up early and out and about. On our first cruise, we didn't know about the forward balconies, so we joined the crush on the upper decks. On the second cruise, we were at the forward balconies for the inward transit and then stayed on the ship for the outbound transit. For that one, since the ship was basically deserted, we were everywhere. Aft balconies, forward balconies, Promenade, inside on the lower decks (interesting to look out the windows and see nothing but concrete!). For us the balcony wasn't that important...

I had an ocean view cabin on my full transit. I spent the entire time going through the locks on one of the outside decks. I've never had a balcony cabin so I don't know if I'd be on my balcony through the locks or still be on one of the public decks.

You'll spend that time out on deck, walking here and there to see different things. Not a great view from your balcony. Also, there will likely be a speaker explaining different things and you'll want to hear that in the public areas.

Definitely book the balcony! You'll probably be up on deck or somewhere towards the front of the ship to get the best view as you go through the locks. But that's just part of your cruise. Having fresh air, a balcony for morning coffee or an after dinner toddy can't be beat! Enjoy your cruise.

As noted, for the Canal itself I don't think it matters as you will want to move around.. That said, there are a lot of sea days and short port days on the itinerary and I think the fresh air factor and extra feeling of space are a boon in those cases. I tend to think oceanview only for port intensive itineraries.

We had a balcony of the caribe during our Panama trip on the Coral. During the first few locks we were on the front of the ship on the "hidden" section on the caribe deck . After that, we went up got sodas and sat out on our balcony as we went the Gatun Lake and found the view not only beautiful, but the time peaceful. Afterwards we went back up on deck to see the final lock and going under the bridge. Really enjoyed the greetings from all the people along shore as we prepared to exit the canal.

For us personally, every cruise is better with a balcony,

My wife and I cruised 20 days BTB from Fort Lauderdale thru the Panama Canal. On the first 10 day cruise we had an inside cabin near the rear of the ship Caribe deck. This was most convenient to the open deck on the aft which was an excellent position for viewing lock door operations. We started each day on the bow of Caribe deck to see entry into the canal. On the 2nd 10 day cruise we had a balcony cabin although it really didn't make a huge difference as we spent most of our time in other places aboard the ship. Be sure to visit the atrium bar on the starboard side as the ship is lowered in the locks to see how close the lock walls actually are to the ship.

I came down with a virus during our partial transit and was confined to my room during the transit :( - thank GOD for the balcony!! For most of the remainder of the trip the weather was not very good and we even cancelled our balcony supper...it would have been too windy and misty.

While we had a balcony when we did the cruise a few years ago, I would go with whatever your budget permits. With sitting on your balcony you are only going to get a perspective of one side of the canal. Also the canal is very hot and humid making it rather uncomfortable for full time balcony sitting.

I have had a balcony every time we have been through the Canal. Probably have spent an hour in the cabin all the trips combined. Choose your cabin for what you wish to use it for the other days of the cruise, on transit day there are so many places to take in the Canal. There is no way to tell which will be the best side to see whatever is of interest, you need to be where you can be mobile. At one lock, you may wish to be on one of the upper decks, at the second lock you may wish to be on one of the lower decks so that you almost touch the lock walls, probably the last lock it will be real easy to ease into one of the coveted positions on the bow. While you are going through Gaillard Cut and across Gatun Lake, be up where you can take in what ever is of interest, be it the Centennial Bridge, Gold Hill and the Continental Divide, the prison where Noriega is held or even a passing ship. If you happen to be on the "wrong" side you will miss much of the work in progress for the Canal expansion. Your balcony is not the place to be for any length of time on transit day. Remember, the best you can do from your balcony is see half the Canal... see it all!

A FULL transit makes for a long day so it's nice to be able to go back to your own BALCONY cabin sometimes.

On our last couple to the Panama Canal on Island Princess we made sure we booked the LOWEST balcony midship deck possible. We even passed on mini-suites to get a lower level balcony so we could just look out while seated without having to stand up to see what was going on.

Balcony if it's affordable to you. You probably won't want to spend all your time on the balcony during the transit, but it's so nice to have a balcony.

Contrary to the people who said most people won't be on their balconies during the transit, I was on a partial transit on the Island Princess on Thanksgiving Day last year. For my cruise, the balconies around me were as full as I've ever seen them. I was on the starboard side and it was shady, so maybe that made a difference. The port side is the hot and sunny side heading into the Gatun Locks. Also, the ship's photographers come and take pictures of you on your balcony. You can make posters and signs in the atrium for the event. Of course, it's a money maker for the cruise line, but people had a lot of fun with it.

My wife and I cruised 20 days BTB from Fort Lauderdale thru the Panama Canal. On the first 10 day cruise we had an inside cabin near the rear of the ship Caribe deck. This was most convenient to the open deck on the aft which was an excellent position for viewing lock door operations. We started each day on the bow of Caribe deck to see entry into the canal. On the 2nd 10 day cruise we had a balcony cabin although it really didn't make a huge difference as we spent most of our time in other places aboard the ship. Be sure to visit the atrium bar on the starboard side as the ship is lowered in the locks to see how close the lock walls actually are to the ship.

This was one of our favorite spots and PLUS it is air conditioned. Panama is really hot and so are the decks mid day. One fun thing is that the photographers go armed with their long lenses and take your picture as you are going through one of the locks from the shore --ask which lock. Neat picture. We also liked the large back decks which are public on the Coral and Island. Just go straight back and through the back doors -- we called it the "back porch". I can't remember but we might have had an obstructed oceanview on 8 midships. If you do buy a balcony look for the cabin that shares a doorway with the next class up -- lower price and same doorway:p

Loved our balcony on the Panama cruise. We did move around the ship to see the locks and the bridge at the end, (can't remember it's name) but spent lots of time on the covered balcony. It was very misty that day, actually raining heavy at times so the Caribe half covered balcony was a pleasure. We spent lunchtime, with room service, waving at the people along the water's edge. Definitely a trip I will never forget, if you can budget for the balcony it was great.

If you are on your balcony as you go through the canal, you can only see half of the passage. That means that a balcony in terms of the canal experience is a total waste of money,

What I did was to get up early, find a good spot on deck, and then refuse to move. My attitude on good spots for views was I was here first.

DON

We have done the "full transit" 2 times. Once on HAL and once on the Coral.

On the Coral, we were in the last balcony (E736) on the Emerald Deck. Absolutely loved that cabin. It was perfect for our Panama Canal cruise. We checked out the canal view from 1) the front of the ship 2) enjoyed the transit from our E736 cabin balcony and 3) the aft Emerald deck.

Here is a picture of the aft Emerald deck on the Coral. It's never crowded. (We also enjoyed this aft Emerald deck on our Alaska cruise on the Coral.) :)

2829012830063342928S600x600Q85.jpg

Since we have had balconies for our canal full transits, in the future I would be happy with an inside on the Plaza deck.:)

Enjoy your Panama Canal cruise! It's an awesome cruise!

Archived