Super Detailed Reviews : Opinions Please

room010

I'm feeling brave so here goes.....

I find the CC cruise reviews extremely useful and often entertaining; especially the bad ones!. What I don't find particularly useful are the massively long, detailed descriptions of packing lists, pre-cruise road trips, airport decor, food eaten en route (often with photos :eek:), where you sat on the plane, weather at home, water temp of the hotel pool, etc. Too Much Information!!! I know these things form part of the overall cruise experience for many people and I understand how exciting every tiny detail can be, but when it takes several paragraphs (if paragraphs are even used, but that's another rant) to even get to embarkation then this reader has usually lost interest.

I know I could just skip this stuff but if you have the time and energy to drill down through the superfluous detail there are often some gems of genuinely useful information about the cruise itself.

Or maybe I'm just being cranky and need a cruise! I'm sure you'll let me know :p

You need a cruise.

I applaud anyone who takes the time to write a review about their cruise no matter how much detail they provide. We should be thankful for these reviews and as you note you can skim them, choose not to read them, or read them.

Maybe it is time for another cruise. :D

Keith

I can kind of see your point. If its a well written review that's pertinent to me and my travels then I like the details, but sometimes people just get a bit OCD with putting every detail down.

And yes, you need a cruise. Who doesn't?!?!? :D

I agree with the OP. I don't read those reviews. Not only am I uninterested in reading about every detail, I like to be surprised in case I ever cruise that ship. I prefer short reviews that give the main points about what was good and what wasn't.

Just skim what doesn't interest you, and read what does....not too hard! Some folks write so well, that I just enjoy reading the way they put their words together! Others....not so much! So skim it! It would be nice if folks would separate their paragraphs with spaces...makes it much easier to read.

Generally like reviews with more detail then less, but can ship some of the pre cruise stuff.

I do find reviews that run paragraphs together, very hard to read. My eyes don't adjust so well reading paragraphs without any broken space. Don't know why folks write this way on computers.

I appreciate when thoughtful people come here and spend their time and energy sharing a review with us. It's easy enough to skim past something that doesn't interest you.

I can't criticize someone who goes to that effort on our behalf.

If you'd posted a few months ago, when I first booked my cruise and had just discovered CC, I would have disagreed. In the excitement of it all, I devoured every word of every post on all relevant boards and loved every minute of it lol

Now, I have to admit, there are a few reviews Recently that I quit reading. One in particular recently, I was through the 3rd page of posts and hadn't even gotten to embarkation yet - and those 3 pages were mostly endlessly wordy detailed descriptions of their explorations of the embarkation port. They weren't people responding to the review. I got bored and tired of reading so stopped.

However, I know there are many people who just love these detailed posts - just count the responses to the reviews! I figure, if I get bored then I'll stop reading. I think people who want to post the very detailed reviews SHOULD because there are many people who will read it and love it. If you don't like them, you don't have to read every thread and you don't have to read every word of every post on every thread.

I suspect when I write my review, my excitement for the cruise will come through as a deluge of wordiness that some may find tedious. Oh well. I know I'll have fun writing it.

Write on my friends..... :)

When I write a review I try to be detailed, but only in regards to things I did in port and what I liked and didn't like about the trip. I usually don't write about food or extensive travel arrangements (unless something goes seriously wrong).

When I read reviews I like the more detailed reviews with lots of pictures, but yes, I agree that I don't need a minute-by-minute account of each day. :D

i absolutely agree with the OP.

I scan the review to see if there is any worthwhile information and then move on to the next review.

As far as the opinions and personal turmoils with cruise lines I am familiar with and don't hesitate to book, I couldn't care less.

The detailed "reviews" are not so much reviews as they are trip reports. On the Dis boards they are very popular and the more detail and pictures the better. Some cruisers have brought that form of report over here to CC. I enjoy reading them as it is more of a blog and rather entertaining.

I'm not surprised that some people don't know the difference between a review and a report - or maybe they know and just don't care, LOL. I'm not interested in trip reports and blogs detailing what someone did one day, or what they wore to dinner and what they ate while there. I'm sure some people really like that stuff, but I wish there was a better (separate) place for it and that blogs weren't masquerading as reviews.

Much as others have said, I do not really find the "pre-cruise" stuff very interesting UNLESS, perhaps, it's a foreign port. But I just don't find details of the food at the Days Inn in Ft. Lauderdale to be interesting or useful. I would probably feel differently if I were going on the same itinerary...but how often will that happen?

On the other hand, I like the WELL-WRITTEN and well-balanced reviews of ships and ports with a decent helping of photos. I'm sometimes amused by photos of food...has a steak piled on top of some potatoes and greens EVER really look appetizing taken with a flash camera?

But if I had to chose between NEVER having those kinds of reviews and having what is perhaps an over-abundance...I'll take them every day. Sometimes I'm simply impressed by the QUALITY of the writing...even if it's about how they did laundry at their hotel an saved money by bringing along their own Tide from home. I spend time looking at reviews on Amazon and other sites (for other kinds of products, obviously)...and I guess the passion for cruising just makes the folks here more eloquent, sometimes. Most people actually seem to manage complete sentences!!

With reviews, I read those that are useful, which to me is both good and bad. With trip reports it depends on my mood. Mostly I'll skim and skip and cut to the chase. But, sometimes I get in what I call my "anywhere but here" mood. Not necessarily unhappy with my life, just seriously needing some diversion and a cruise (or any trip) isn't in the works at the moment. Then I'll just about read anything about anywhere else. Especially if it's about a cruise and especially if it has pictures. Vicariously taking in every minute of someone else's vacation can be kinda cool and doesn't cost a thing other than a few minutes out of my day.

I'm not surprised that some people don't know the difference between a review and a report - or maybe they know and just don't care, LOL. I'm not interested in trip reports and blogs detailing what someone did one day, or what they wore to dinner and what they ate while there. I'm sure some people really like that stuff, but I wish there was a better (separate) place for it and that blogs weren't masquerading as reviews.[\QUOTE]

"Blogs masquerading as reviews" sums it up perfectly. Maybe it's symptomatic of today's reliance on instant 24/7 communication and our apparent fascination (via Twitter of course) with sharing every random detail of our lives with total strangers :cool: But I'm a self confessed dinosaur when it comes to this stuff so what do I know. But taking my own Tide to the launderette is a genius idea! See? I told you it's worth digging around :rolleyes:

I tend to quit reading reviews that spend a lot of time on the lead up activities to the cruise, unless it's information I can use. The flat tire, the friends that weren't ready when you went to pick them up, the breakfast at IHOP and the rude waitress, etc. aren't relevant to me.

I also dismiss reviews where everything was terrible, especially if other reviewers on the same cruise had a good to great experience.

Roz

I'm feeling brave so here goes.....

What I don't find particularly useful are the massively long, detailed descriptions of packing lists, pre-cruise road trips, airport decor, food eaten en route (often with photos :eek:), where you sat on the plane, weather at home, water temp of the hotel pool, etc. Too Much Information!!!

My favorite reviews are those with pictures. Rather than having to write in detail about the Solarium, a good pic with "above is the Solarium" works so well.

I enjoy some reviews (Sailor Jack, anyone? Now there's a great writer. He should write a book), but the ones that are too detailed lose me.

I enjoy hearing basics about the cruise and ports, including opinions, but detailing every little thing is too much for me. I also like a few pictures, but 40-50 just make my eyes glaze.

I also seldom read a long post with no paragraphing--just too tough to read. How hard is it to hit the space bar? Too negative or too gushy reviews are suspect, as well.

I am not one to want to know every little thing about a cruise or ship before I get on. I don't want to know the menus ahead of time, or daily activities. I just want to know useful info that will help get ready or anticipate without spoiling any surprises.

But, it's great that there are a variety of reports/reviews since we all have differing opinions about what we want to read or know.

The detailed "reviews" are not so much reviews as they are trip reports. On the Dis boards they are very popular and the more detail and pictures the better. Some cruisers have brought that form of report over here to CC. I enjoy reading them as it is more of a blog and rather entertaining.

In our family, I'm responsible for keeping a "journal" of our trip so that my DW can scrapbook later. For reviews, I cut & paste parts of my journal. Sometimes I go into detail, sometimes not so much. It just depends on the passion of the event or port of call.

I do understand the OP and at times feel the same but if it's too much trouble to do a review, many won't.

I usually skim through reviews that are very long but there's usually something I hone in on, particularly if it's a ship or itinerary I'm going to be taking in the near future. We travel annually with a fairly large group (25-40) Sometimes there are some cruise newbies. I'll tell them about CC and they are delighted to read every word of every review pertaining to a ship/sailing we are about to take. For them the reviews are great information. Also, I do thoroughly read reviews of a sailing I've also been on shortly after we return home. Sometimes I'm amazed by some comments because they are so polar opposite of my take on a particular issue and I say to myself "Was I dreaming, or was I really on that same cruise?"

I like some detail but I have to admit, I was reading one where the guy went into so much detail I was on something like post 100 and he still hadn't even started anything to do with the actual cruise. He also took pictures of every food item he ordered. I really didn't need to see a picture of bacon and eggs - and the fruit - and the... well you get the idea. Like others have said, I don't care about his traveling buddy and their deep interests. Telling me "I'm traveling with my buddy, he's 46 and divorced and this is his first cruise" is enough to get an insight to his personality. I don't need to know the guy's phobias, favorite foods etc. or about his personal issues.

Well balanced reviews are great. Tell me the good and the bad. I want to hear that you could just grab a taxi at the pier and the cost. I just don't need to hear how you paid and where you got the money from.

I'm often amazed at the detail we can get, however. I told my friends that one of the great things about CC is that you can ask someone "where can I buy a bottle of XXX wine on the way to the pier?" and someone will pipe in with the directions to the correct store, the cost, how to get there and anything else you need to know.

Archived