Say Goodbye to Escargot or say it isn't so

Crzn-Life

We were just on the Island Princess and one of the headwaiters told us that escargot could not be ordered because they were all out of it.

He said that Princess had cancelled the contract with the supplier and that what we were able to get on other ships was the last of the escargot and when that was gone, there would be no more. He said the reason we were able to get it on the Grand a few weeks earlier was because the Grand still had some in its stock but once that was gone, that would be the end of it for that ship too.

Oh, Princess...say it isn't so. Or how about finding another supplier.

Just off the GP and had the escargot. I remember when they stopped the Sevruga several decades ago. Take my word for it, the next fatality will be the baked Alaska.

Actually, that was sort of the case on the Island. :( The last night they served the baked alaska before the parade! When they did the march around the dining room, they weren't carrying baked alaskas that they brought to the sections to serve like they used to. The portions they served were much smaller and uniform and looked to have been cut from a square cake so there was a lot less merengue.

We were just on the Island Princess and one of the headwaiters told us that escargot could not be ordered because they were all out of it.

He said that Princess had cancelled the contract with the supplier and that what we were able to get on other ships was the last of the escargot and when that was gone, there would be no more. He said the reason we were able to get it on the Grand a few weeks earlier was because the Grand still had some in its stock but once that was gone, that would be the end of it for that ship too.

Oh, Princess...say it isn't so. Or how about finding another supplier.

Guess that explains why none was offered on the menu for our cruise on the Island last month...not a problem for me but my wife missed it. :(

I read somewhere that all the cruise lines, not just Princess, are having problems getting snails (escargots.) Can't remember what the problem is but apparently, it's widespread.

Celebrity is experiencing the same thing.

I read somewhere that all the cruise lines, not just Princess, are having problems getting snails (escargots.) Can't remember what the problem is but apparently, it's widespread.

Indeed. People in the Royal Caribbean forums are also posting escargot complaints. It's not a cruise line related issue; it's just a lack of product.

Oh no...they are my favorite...but not sure if I like the snail or the divine garlic butter they re cooked in more!!:rolleyes:

The escargot is just a vehicle for the garlic butter. IMO escargot itself has little flavor and I personally do not like the texture. Bui I'll take the garlic butter on anything. :)

I was on the Sapphire for 3 weeks recently.

It was not on the menu but it was offered one night every week and our waiter informed us of the night it was offered. When passing out the menus he said "tonight we also have escargot that can be ordered".

A while back, John Heald (of Carnival) had posted on his Facebook page that they were experiencing issues with supply to do droughts in Indonesia (I think). Not surprised its affecting other lines, assuming that is the reason.

I could probably supply at least one ship with the number of snails marauding about in my back garden!:D

I was thinking the same thing. I wonder how a slug would taste with the garlic butter sauce. We have plenty of those as well.:D

I could probably supply at least one ship with the number of snails marauding about in my back garden!:D

we are having the same problem in NY. Maybe all the snails have escaped from their snail farms, LOL!

my granddaughter was given a pet snail container and had no problem filling it up between her yard and her school bus stop, too.

we are having the same problem in NY. Maybe all the snails have escaped from their snail farms, LOL!

my granddaughter was given a pet snail container and had no problem filling it up between her yard and her school bus stop, too.

Ditto in the Capital district of NY. I used to eat escargot and then starting fighting them in my garden. I don't eat them any longer

Here is a portion of an article that I found

Cleaning

You’ll need to cleanse their system before cooking in case they ate something bad, like snail bait. This process is similar to purging mussels. I feed them a mixture of wild fennel and cornmeal, some people use lettuce, some use cucumber, and some starve them for their last days (which has always struck me as a bit mean).

House them in a large container with holes punched out of the top. Put in their food, a small dish of water with a low lid (so they can get in), and secure the top of the container tightly (I cannot stress this enough, as they will push off a loose lid, and you don’t want to be stepping on snails in your socks.) Wait 1-2 weeks, cleaning out the container about once a day.

http://www.chow.com/food-news/42288/how-to-forage-and-eat-garden-snails/

A small tin of snails, product of Indonesia have long been available on the shelves, of all places our local "Dollar" Stores... Time to invest in Snail Futures? I imagine a small shrimp could be substituted for the snail but that then would make the dish more acceptable to more passengers and the number of labour intensive orders would increase, which is probaly the real reason they will eventually be discontinued.

;)

Here is a portion of an article that I found

Cleaning

You’ll need to cleanse their system before cooking in case they ate something bad, like snail bait. This process is similar to purging mussels. I feed them a mixture of wild fennel and cornmeal, some people use lettuce, some use cucumber, and some starve them for their last days (which has always struck me as a bit mean).

House them in a large container with holes punched out of the top. Put in their food, a small dish of water with a low lid (so they can get in), and secure the top of the container tightly (I cannot stress this enough, as they will push off a loose lid, and you don’t want to be stepping on snails in your socks.) Wait 1-2 weeks, cleaning out the container about once a day.

http://www.chow.com/food-news/42288/how-to-forage-and-eat-garden-snails/

I think I will just dip bread...but thanks for the link.

Sad to hear this, just had them on the Grand and they said nothing about not being available anymore. Always look forward to the night they are served. As for the Baked Alaska, that never was a favorite of mine so won't miss it.

This crisis has evidently been brought on a supply problem relating to weather, snail ranchers closing out their businesses and a corresponding increase in demand. However, we should live in hopes that these issues are short lived.

Out of curiosity, I googled escargot shortage. The first 5 references were to cruise critic. Apparently, this is a big deal to cruisers!

I did find this report from 2008: http://www.pri.org/theworld/?q=node/19499&answer=true

Apparently, most of the escargot came from eastern Europe. As these countries became free and their economies developed they explain it was harder and harder to find people who would pick snails for a living. As a result, in 2008 the price doubled as they had to pay more to collect them.

Apparently, the desire to pick snails has not grown to where they are more available at a good price. And so it goes......

Archived