Say Goodbye to Escargot or say it isn't so

Crzn-Life

I was on the Sapphire for 3 weeks recently.

It was not on the menu but it was offered one night every week and our waiter informed us of the night it was offered. When passing out the menus he said "tonight we also have escargot that can be ordered".

You were lucky the Sapphire still has some. The Island is completely out. The HW said that it will continue to be available on ships that have them in stock, but once that stock is used up....no more.

Also someone mentioned cherries jubilee in a post. Come to think of it, we haven't had them in some time. On the Island they offered Bananas Foster, but no cherries jubilee. Wonder is the cherries jubilee is almost becoming an 'endangered' food or if they just weren't offered because it was a 7-day cruise?

Yup, we ran into the escargot problem on the Star back in May. Thought maybe it had something to do with it being a short five day cruise but it appears this is just one more cut-back. What a shame. Sure hope onions don't become an endangered species as we love our onion soup!

I read somewhere that all the cruise lines, not just Princess, are having problems getting snails (escargots.) Can't remember what the problem is but apparently, it's widespread.

We also recently were told that they weren't able to get it on Royal Caribbean.

I just did a quick price check on the wholesale market. What supply is avail is as much as 200 percent higher than just last year so it doesn't surprise me at all that ships are not stocking it at that price.

Retail they are going as much as $20 for 8 ounces of quality product just for the snails.

You were lucky the Sapphire still has some. The Island is completely out. The HW said that it will continue to be available on ships that have them in stock, but once that stock is used up....no more.

Also someone mentioned cherries jubilee in a post. Come to think of it, we haven't had them in some time. On the Island they offered Bananas Foster, but no cherries jubilee. Wonder is the cherries jubilee is almost becoming an 'endangered' food or if they just weren't offered because it was a 7-day cruise?

Just back from the Caribbean Princess. No escargots but Cherries Jubilee and fab Onion soup though. Other Princess faces as well. Better still, five great souffles on a 12 night cruise

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All,

I am in the foodservice distribution buisness, snails are available we have never been shorted, however the cost on them has gone up about 75% since January, I believe that it's just a cost saving measure on a off-menu item. It's funny how people are or should I say were (there are not too many restaurants that offer them now) willing to pay $10 or more for an app of them, when their inflated current cost is still less than 20 cents per snail. Product of France are usually the best (Helix)

Harvey

Hi All,

I am in the foodservice distribution buisness, snails are available we have never been shorted, however the cost on them has gone up about 75% since January, I believe that it's just a cost saving measure on a off-menu item. It's funny how people are or should I say were (there are not too many restaurants that offer them now) willing to pay $10 or more for an app of them, when their inflated current cost is still less than 20 cents per snail. Product of France are usually the best (Helix)

Harvey

I never buy escargots in a restaurant at home ... I buy Helix and make them myself. I'm bummed that we won't get it as part of our cruise anymore.

Hi All,

Harvey

I cant see how this is going to save Princess much money in the long run since anytime I've eaten snails it's usually along with 2 or 3 rolls as a filler to soak up the juice. If their gone I'll only resort to eating something else in their place like another order of lamb chops or another piece or prime rib. :p

Actually, that was sort of the case on the Island. :( The last night they served the baked alaska before the parade! When they did the march around the dining room, they weren't carrying baked alaskas that they brought to the sections to serve like they used to. The portions they served were much smaller and uniform and looked to have been cut from a square cake so there was a lot less merengue.

This way of serving baked alaska is definitely not on every ship. We had the traditional one a couple weeks ago on the Golden Princess. Maybe it's a head chef/pastry chef issue...

As for escargot, I've never been a fan, so I don't really care one way or the other. :p

Just off the GP and had the escargot. I remember when they stopped the Sevruga several decades ago. Take my word for it, the next fatality will be the baked Alaska.

You are probably right about the fatality of the baked Alaska. The last time I had it, it looked sick and lacked flavor. Maybe I got a piece of the fake one that they parade around with.

I doubt that would do it, but I'd bring a can of Helix snails for them to cook for me just so I didn't have to cook them myself! ;) Okay, I guess I wouldn't bring them... I'd just take what they serve for dinner and make my own escargots at home. :p

The to bring list for Princess keeps getting longer :D

1. Starbucks via
  2. wine
  3. water
  4. soda
  5. snails

Maybe we should start ordering whole lobsters to be shipped to port.:D

Actually, that was sort of the case on the Island. When they did the march around the dining room, they weren't carrying baked alaskas that they brought to the sections to serve like they used to. The portions they served were much smaller and uniform and looked to have been cut from a square cake so there was a lot less merengue.

This way of serving baked alaska is definitely not on every ship. We had the traditional one a couple weeks ago on the Golden Princess. Maybe it's a head chef/pastry chef issue...

On the Star in March it was as Crzn-Life described.

Celebrity Cruises chefs are making crab-stuffed mushrooms smothered in the wonderful butter garlic parsley sauce and putting them in the special dishes used for the snails. Served with the good bread for dipping. Yum!

Celebrity Cruises chefs are making crab-stuffed mushrooms smothered in the wonderful butter garlic parsley sauce and putting them in the special dishes used for the snails. Served with the good bread for dipping. Yum!

Princess...please read this...think I like the sauce as much or more than the snail anyhow! :p

That sounds similar to what Carnival serves. Our spring break cruise on a Carnival ship was before the escargot shortage hit, so we still got to have them. But later in the week, they used the escargot dishes for a stuffed mushroom appetizer. I prefer the snails.

And I am not a fan of baked Alaska. A lot of times our waiters have seemed hurt that I don't want to try it and want to order something else.

We were just on the Island Princess and one of the headwaiters told us that escargot could not be ordered because they were all out of it.

He said that Princess had cancelled the contract with the supplier and that what we were able to get on other ships was the last of the escargot and when that was gone, there would be no more. He said the reason we were able to get it on the Grand a few weeks earlier was because the Grand still had some in its stock but once that was gone, that would be the end of it for that ship too.

Oh, Princess...say it isn't so. Or how about finding another supplier.

I have a lot in my yard. I can supply them cheaper.

Archived