Music much too loud on the Eclipse cruise to the Baltic May 26th.

oldgrouchuk

We have just returned from the Baltic aboard the Celebrity Eclipse, it was a fantastic trip. I would like to say firstly what a very nice cruise ship she is and the staff were all very pleasant. Although it is not a ship I would choose to cruise on again because!! I could not find a quiet area to read or write in apart from the small quiet observation lounge area on deck 11. (I know I could sit in the cabin but I did not go to sit in the cabin to read or write)

The library is an open are on the 10th deck the sounds from all the lower decks are naturally heard in the library along with the banging of "I think the lift cables". If you go to the front of the ship on deck fourteen a lovely lounge until the dreaded music starts again or the Captains Elite drinks party take over. There should have been a quiet area in the Persian Garden until a women who seemed to always be there when I was there Snored very loudly, you could make a noise, she would not even stir but just snored on. You could say that Micheals bar was quite sometimes but not often. Perhaps it is that Celebrity is not for us. Please let me know your thoughts on the volume of the music in the public areas.

We have just returned from the Baltic aboard the Celebrity Eclipse, it was a fantastic trip. I would like to say firstly what a very nice cruise ship she is and the staff were all very pleasant. Although it is not a ship I would choose to cruise on again because!! I could not find a quiet area to read or write in apart from the small quiet observation lounge area on deck 11. (I know I could sit in the cabin but I did not go to sit in the cabin to read or write)

The library is an open are on the 10th deck the sounds from all the lower decks are naturally heard in the library along with the banging of "I think the lift cables". If you go to the front of the ship on deck fourteen a lovely lounge until the dreaded music starts again or the Captains Elite drinks party take over. There should have been a quiet area in the Persian Garden until a women who seemed to always be there when I was there Snored very loudly, you could make a noise, she would not even stir but just snored on. You could say that Micheals bar was quite sometimes but not often. Perhaps it is that Celebrity is not for us. Please let me know your thoughts on the volume of the music in the public areas.

There have been a number of threads on this topic. The conclusion has been that the music in all venues is much too loud and louder is not better!

We can complain about the noise on Cruise Critic as much as we want, but I doubt Celebrity will take notice of what is posted on this site.

I suggest writing to Celebrity along with an eMail to the Captains Club of your frustration. That way they know you as a Customer have a problem with the "noise". I did that after our January Solstice cruise and the constant "noise" throughout the ship was a primary reason for writing. Celebrity responded and acknowledged my concerns.

All sucessful mass market companies maintain date bases of customer compliments and complaints, and change will occur when enough complaints are in the data base to make the Company understand Clients are demanding change.

Cruise Critic in my opinion is a great place to vent, but I encourage all to contact Celebrity directly with your request for change.

We just came back from the Silhouette and had the same issues, except for the snoring. :D We will be doing the Eclipse to the Baltic next year and had hoped that she would be better. I hope it changes, since it is a real problem.

We had similar problems on the Eclipse May cruise to Norway.

Filled in a 'attention to detail' and commented on the end of cruise questionaire.

Celebrity's response---- A deafing silence!!!

When I was at work we had a workshop, which was inspected by Health & Safety. They insisted that the volume of the music was turned down, due to possible damage to the staffs hearing, and it was nowhere near as loud as the music Eclipse!

Richard

This has been a comon problem that Celebrity continues to ignore.

Our solution is probably not the best but we are going to switch back to Holland America after our Summit cruise in September. I want to sit and read/relax/drink a martini with a reasonable music background rather than being blasted out of our seats.

And, no I don't want to cancel the Summit cruise because it is a 14-night to Canada that I really want to go on.

In the past, we have purchased martinis at the Martini Bar and moved away from the music. The waiters usually catch on for the second round when they see where we go but this has been the answer for the frist drink of the night. We also found the Ensemble Lounge to be good when we sit away from the live music for drinks but not a place to read or relax most of the time.

I really don't know what the overall solution is.

We were on the same Eclipse Baltic cruise, and found the noise a real issue. We also had the same on the Eclipse on a January cruise. They use the foray on Deck 3 which then has the open space all the way up to the top decks as a place for bands, dancing and entertainment. This made the library and the cardroom very hard to use. We went off and found other places to play cards and socialize when the bands started up.

I'd look over and see 4 people dancing and back at the card room and find 20+ playing. Funny priority.

I agree with complaining to Celebrity, but in my opinon, the best way is via the Comment/Grade cards we get at the end of the cruise. We marked entertainment down for noise.

Now, after those comments, we were able to find good places to talk and play. And the ship and ports were unbelieveable. It was the best service I've had on a cruise, and I've always thought Celebrity was a cut above other major cruise lines...and this cruise was a cut above anything we've experienced with Celebrity. Big Kudos to Eclipse.

Lower the noise a bit, and it would be perfect. I don't demand that I can sit and read as if I'm in a library throughout the ship, but the load music in the foyer was tough to take. When the bands played a slower, calmer song, it was quite acceptable, as were some of the fast pieces, but I think they felt they had to press up the speakers for certain songs, and it was 'colorful' especially when the drummer got into it a good bit. And I don't think my comments are because I'm now a 'geezer', it was Very load at times, and I do enjoy rock music.

Den

We can complain about the noise on Cruise Critic as much as we want, but I doubt Celebrity will take notice of what is posted on this site.

I suggest writing to Celebrity along with an eMail to the Captains Club of your frustration. That way they know you as a Customer have a problem with the "noise". I did that after our January Solstice cruise and the constant "noise" throughout the ship was a primary reason for writing. Celebrity responded and acknowledged my concerns.

All sucessful mass market companies maintain date bases of customer compliments and complaints, and change will occur when enough complaints are in the data base to make the Company understand Clients are demanding change.

Cruise Critic in my opinion is a great place to vent, but I encourage all to contact Celebrity directly with your request for change.

Hi Wpgcruise,

I agree that any Guests who are unhappy with the loud music should contact Celebrity, but I disagree with your comment of "I doubt Celebrity will take notice of what is posted on this site". They watch carefully, as do most Cruise lines watch what's being said. Over the years, We've had countless items discussed on here, that lines have ultimately made changes based on our member comments.

I'd like to see Celebrity just dial it down a little bit, and it should please the bulk of their Guests.

Obviously the acceptable sound level of background music is somewhat personal and individual but the repeated complaints suggest a problem fleet wide that is being ignored and not addressed.

Is it the responsiblity of the Cruise Director to manage this? Their job, as I understand it, is to keep guests happy and entertained. Overall ambiance would seem to factor into this. Has anyone directed their thoughts to the Cruise Director specifically? The comment cards and Attention to Detail cards should be funneled to them and to whomever they report.

I would hope that there is psychology and data involved in all this as it certainly contributes to the overall experience.

Hi Wpgcruise,

I agree that any Guests who are unhappy with the loud music should contact Celebrity, but I disagree with your comment of "I doubt Celebrity will take notice of what is posted on this site". They watch carefully, as do most Cruise lines watch what's being said. Over the years, We've had countless items discussed on here, that lines have ultimately made changes based on our member comments.

I'd like to see Celebrity just dial it down a little bit, and it should please the bulk of their Guests.

Hi Andy:

I agree with your comments. There is ample evidence that people from Celebrity from Hanrahan down react to postings on this Board. Remember the "X the Rules" campaign. Hanrahan got on the thread and reacted to suggestions. A recent thread mentioned a computer problem and a person from Celebrity reacted. Another post dealt with lost items and once again a Celebrity official responded. If you don't like a situation or have a better idea, use all available means to communicate.

On our May cruise, the Captains Club Celebration was on a Wednesday. Apart from being overcrowded, after the speeches the 'Music' started up and normal conversation finished. We were unable to chat to couple next to us, we, along with others left.

That evening speaking to the maitr'd I commented about the loud music, and he suggested that I should fill in an 'attention to detail' card, which I did the following morning and handed it in at Guest relations' the clerk read it apologised, and said he would pass it on.

We were never contacted on our remaining 2 days on board, and the loud music continued. The last time I filled a 'attention to detail' card they were on the phone sorting the problem out as soon as I got back to the cabin.

Richard

Well should they pay attention add me as another that thinks the music is much to loud in "Most" venues

But I actually think it is a planned strategy by corporate to appeal to the younger crowd and drive us complainers to Oh let's say Azamara ?

Trust me, Celebrity does monitor these boards and takes guest feedback very seriously. Continue to let your concerns be heard on here. I was on the Summit 2 weeks ago and I posted on this forum a major issue I had with the room, and the next day the Guest Relations Mgr onboard called my room to speak with me about what they saw I had written on Cruise Critic! They handled themselves so well, that it confirmed why I usually choose Celebrity.

I don't have an issue so much with the level of noise on the ships; however, if they are trying to position themselves as the top mainstream line, they should do away with all the background music all together, like the premium lines have. The only time I have an issue with the music is when they have a band playing at the pool. I can't even hear my iPod when I'm laying out there. I really don't find it relaxing to hear a wedding singer shout out "Hot, Hot, Hot" when I'm trying to relax. It's way too Carnival or NCL and Celebrity should set the bar a little higher.

On Silho they had very loud sit & be fit blaring at the pool in the mid-am...the afternoon was all loud canned music except for when the bands played.. When I complained, the pool manager told me "there will be loud music at the pool!"

At this point, we get out there early--enjoy our quiet time & morning swim, & then move on to another spot when the noise kicks in!! Port days are also nice when the hordes swarm into port.. we will forego two ports on our 14 day Eclipse cruise to get some nice time in on the ship!!!

Sometimes the party band overwhelmed the inside central area as well as canned music from the Martini Bar-- it wasn't too bad but they repeated the same loops of music over & over & over!

Hope Eclipse quiets down before our March cruise---

Data collection might be the key -- and now it's easy to do with the new decibel meter apps for iPhones, iPads and other smart devices. They show actual sound levels, not our subjective opinions. Measured the sound in the martini bar one night as over 90 dB and when we went to complain, Guest Relations was impressed and called immediately to the bar manager who got it turned down. Wish we had done it several cruises ago!

Data collection might be the key -- and now it's easy to do with the new decibel meter apps for iPhones, iPads and other smart devices. They show actual sound levels, not our subjective opinions. Measured the sound in the martini bar one night as over 90 dB and when we went to complain, Guest Relations was impressed and called immediately to the bar manager who got it turned down. Wish we had done it several cruises ago!

I'm impressed. I sent a letter to Hanrahan after a Mercury sailing on which I took a sound level meter (this was before I put the db meter on my iPhone) and found sound levels exceeding 90db. Got a bland response about forwarding it for review - but I never noticed any change. So maybe things are changing in the last year. Although neither DW nor I could handle the sound level in the Atrium on Silhouette when leaving the MDR.

j

I was on the same cruise. During the day there are plenty of places where it is quiet. The Elite party doesnt start until 5 so it is very quiet up in that lounge all day. Michaels is also dead all day long and most nights. There are so many quiet places I dont know where to begin. They dont start playing the so called "loud' music until after the shows in the foyer. Give it a break and stop complaining, Celebrity is still the best cruise line. You want to hear loud, try a Carnival cruise ,you will jump overboard!

It is just amazing how stone deaf ( maybe some member of the headquater took a cruise on board one of their ships....) X appears to be in this matter- I was on the TA- Silhouette in April this year- we ended up avoiding the Martini Bar because of the loud music. Constannt music in the Buffet Restaurant was unnerving but bearable. I wrote a letter to CC and got the answer that they put my complain in to some data base..! Whatever, seems they still hadn´t had any meeting...! Anyway I hope the noise level will turn down in December- otherwise I will think of switching to Cunard or HAL...!

Michael

Can SOMEBODY tell me WHY music has to be

soooooooooo loud? (Anywhere!)

I have never had anyone answer

that question for me yet.

It always HAS TO BE LOUD....and,

I don't know why... :mad:

We never go to concerts because the music is usually

so loud....it is just not enjoyable..

Obviously the acceptable sound level of background music is somewhat personal and individual but the repeated complaints suggest a problem fleet wide that is being ignored and not addressed.

Is it the responsiblity of the Cruise Director to manage this? Their job, as I understand it, is to keep guests happy and entertained. Overall ambiance would seem to factor into this. Has anyone directed their thoughts to the Cruise Director specifically? The comment cards and Attention to Detail cards should be funneled to them and to whomever they report.

I would hope that there is psychology and data involved in all this as it certainly contributes to the overall experience.

We specifically addressed this politely and in person to Esperanza, the Cruise Director of Solstice in April. We were at a Captain's Club event and after the band started playing, a lot of people left as you couldn't talk with each other anymore. Her answer was : "since it is a life band, the volume is as it is and can not be turned down".

(Duh ! Excuse me - why are they using amplifyers and loudspeakers then ?) So in other words : Esperanza was not going to try to do something about this and did not really care !!!

By-the-way, the volume in the theater and main foyer was way too loud as well. I think there is some confusion between volume and ambiance.

It was not possible to have a conversations at the Martini bar when the band was playing or to talk about something at the Guest Service desk. Also at night in the sky lounge you could not talk to your friends. Consequently we practically never returned to these venues and our bar bills were rather small.

We just came back from the Silhouette and had the same issues, except for the snoring. :D We will be doing the Eclipse to the Baltic next year and had hoped that she would be better. I hope it changes, since it is a real problem.

We were on the same Silhouette cruise.

Music/Muzak and Noise.....there have been a lot of comments recently about the levels of noise on board especially in the bars or the Atrium. We did not notice this . We were right by the Hideaway and we heard nothing from the main Atrium. I did dislike the 'games' by the pool such as 'name that song' which I felt contributed little to the ambience (and had few participants) and I did dislike the screeching singer who disturbed my sleep every afternoon around 3pm. I know Kinosis have their fans but we are not amongst them I'm afraid.:rolleyes:

We are going on Eclipse next month so will be interested to see if it really is much noisier.

We are going on Eclipse next month so will be interested to see if it really is much noisier.

Have a great time on Eclipse!

It will be interesting to see your comments after your cruise. There are a number of people on our Roll Call [for Eclipse at the end of the year] who are very concerned about reports of loud music on the ship and it would be good to be able to reassure them.

Sue

Can SOMEBODY tell me WHY music has to be

soooooooooo loud? (Anywhere!)

I have never had anyone answer

that question for me yet.

It always HAS TO BE LOUD....and,

I don't know why... :mad:

We never go to concerts because the music is usually

so loud....it is just not enjoyable..

In the hospitality industry, one of the current shibboleths is that younger "with it" folks respond to a "lively" (read loud) environment, staying longer and spending more. You won't find the very top line hotels, resorts, and restaurants buying into this theory, but the mid-range and upper mid range venues do, since they have to compete for the same customer as the "young", "spirited" places.

One of the reasons I don't book on S class ships is that Celebrity seems to implement the concept more heavily on those ships. I try not to stay at W hotels also. :D

JMHO

We specifically addressed this politely and in person to Esperanza, the Cruise Director of Solstice in April. We were at a Captain's Club event and after the band started playing, a lot of people left as you couldn't talk with each other anymore. Her answer was : "since it is a life band, the volume is as it is and can not be turned down".

(Duh ! Excuse me - why are they using amplifyers and loudspeakers then ?) So in other words : Esperanza was not going to try to do something about this and did not really care !!!

By-the-way, the volume in the theater and main foyer was way too loud as well. I think there is some confusion between volume and ambiance.

It was not possible to have a conversations at the Martini bar when the band was playing or to talk about something at the Guest Service desk. Also at night in the sky lounge you could not talk to your friends. Consequently we practically never returned to these venues and our bar bills were rather small.

I think that the live music is it's own standard as Esperanza stated. Live music typically is not background music. The musicians want a level of volume that suits their kind of music. Rock will be loud, and most dance music is loud. Even in the big band era the dance bands were loud. Most people do not go to live music venues for conversation, some do but in most cases they will be disappointed.

Now something billed as background music should be low volumn enough for conversations. And I agree loud background music is very annoying.

Archived