Which direction on a jogging track?

Before I pose my question, please know that I did search both these forums, and I googled this question. I came up with one image, which I'll explain in a moment.

On a cruise ship where there are no signs specifically stating in which direction to run/walk on the track, which way are we supposed to go? I ask because last year on my Med cruise I would get up at 5:30 and walk for an hour on the upper deck (OK, don't groan, it was absolutely beautiful! LOL!) which was the track. There were no signs or arrows to indicate if one should run clockwise or counter-clockwise. I chose to walk counter-clockwise while we were moving forward (facing the bow). Most passengers also did the same, but every morning there was one guy, bless his heart, who ran in the opposite direction.

I just wondered the "unspoken" protocol if there are no arrows or signage. The one picture I pulled up showed an arrow painted on the deck, but it was hard to tell if that was facing the bow or the stern. Thanks.

Even on ships we've been on with arrows they go counter clockwise and even with the arrows you'll always have someone or more than one going the other way.

Absent an arrow I would do as you did and go counter clockwise.

I am an early riser and work out very early in the morning too.

Keith

It is a gorgeous time of day. :)

Yes. I like to get up early and get a start to the morning and to get a nice workout in before breakfast and while it is not crowded.

I always kid around that when I leave my cabin to workout that someone must be coming back from the night before.

Keith

I think clockwise makes more sense....if I was driving, that's how I'd do it! But, I don't think it really matters as long as you watch where you're going and don't run into others!

I agree, but unless there are arrows, I go counter clockwise.

We also see most people going counter-clockwise, but the track is usually wide enough so that people going in opposite directions can pass each other with no problem.

In the USA traffic circles (roundabouts) go counter-clockwise, but in the UK they go clockwise, so it may just be the habit people get into of going one direction or the other.

At our local gym track, there are signs indicating counter-clockwise for 4 days of the week and clockwise for the other 3, (something to do with balancing out the body for serious runners, I was told by one of the trainers).

In any case, I have never seen anyone get into an argument about it on a cruise ship, so lacking any signs or arrows apparently it is no big deal which way you go.

Racetracks and Olympic events always go counter clockwise. That is how I would go unless there were signs indicating otherwise.

...counter clockwise. Perhaps there are people out there that will insist its clockwise...can you tell us why? Let me guess the first few answers: ..."because I want to", or "the wind is less going clockwise", or "I want to be able to see oncoming walkers or runners", or....:rolleyes:

Many ships have rules about how early and late you can run.

I go counter-clockwise although on a recent river boat cruise in the US, the area was narrow and some people went clockwise and went up and down the stairs on their loop to try to get a work out. About all that was possible was a quick walking step.

I chose to walk counter-clockwise while we were moving forward (facing the bow).

I just wondered the "unspoken" protocol if there are no arrows or signage. The one picture I pulled up showed an arrow painted on the deck, but it was hard to tell if that was facing the bow or the stern. Thanks.

While I agree with the counter-clockwise for the reasons already mentioned (namely, it's how track meets and Olympics do it), I do have to wonder about the facing the bow thing. If you go counter-clockwise, you face forward on the starboard side of the ship. If you go clockwise, you'll be facing forward on the port side, so I'm not sure what difference it really makes. Unless I misunderstood what you are saying, (if so I apologize).

I think clockwise makes more sense....if I was driving, that's how I'd do it! But, I don't think it really matters as long as you watch where you're going and don't run into others!

My experience with the arrows has been counter clockwise (starboard towards forward, port towards aft). In their absense I would assume the same direction. But there are always those heading the opposite direction.

It's counter-clockwise for me, and is the most common direction on most (US) tracks and trails. Almost everyone goes that way, but there are always a few who do the opposite.

I'm not sure if they are clueless, don't care, find it easier to walk in the not busy track, or that is the direction they are used to. It can at times be a nuisance when the track is crowded.

I've often wondered if passing is different in Europe, though, as well as the direction on tracks, especially in the UK, since there are always a few people going the 'wrong' way.

I notice this in halls and on stairs too, where we here in the US normally stay right, it must be different in other countries.

It's all ok, just what we're used to.

The reality is, and unless directed via arrows otherwise, or everyone doing the opposite, it is counter clockwise. Why it is so doesn't matter. If you want to go opposite, fine, just expect opposite traffic. Port, starboard, wind direction does not matter. It's counter clockwise. I've never done different, and have seen few who do.

Americans run clockwise on the right. British counterclockwise on the left. Wait...maybe not. I don't know.

Americans drive on the right, Brits on the left ... so I guess that's why track events are the same ...

Thank you everyone, so far. :)

Wait and see if somebody else is there, follow his/her direction :eek:

That's why I asked the question - I didn't want to be incorrect/do the wrong thing. I was usually the first there every morning.

Racetracks and Olympic events always go counter clockwise. That is how I would go unless there were signs indicating otherwise.

Thank you. You're right, now that I think about it.

..but there are always a few who do the opposite... It can at times be a nuisance when the track is crowded.

Yes, I will admit it was getting a bit annoying having just the one guy running (a full run) opposite to everyone else. :p

Americans drive on the right, Brits on the left ... so I guess that's why track events are the same ...

I guess the question is, during the Olympics this summer in England, are we going to see the 100m go from right to left on our TV's? LOL

Americans run clockwise on the right. British counterclockwise on the left. Wait...maybe not. I don't know.

What you posted makes a lot of sense! So, on American ships you run clockwise and British ships counterclockwise.

What you posted makes a lot of sense! So, on American ships you run clockwise and British ships counterclockwise.

Actually, no, Americans generally go counter-clockwise on a track. I can't tell you what's normal in the UK, but if they run the same direction they drive, I'd think it would be clockwise (left side).

Oh, gosh, who knows; my head is spinning trying to keep the driving/running/passing straight for right siders and left siders.

On a British ship the only running is in the direction of the bar. I shall remember to wish you goodnight next time we pass on my return to my room.

On a British ship the only running is in the direction of the bar. I shall remember to wish you goodnight next time we pass on my return to my room.

I will join you. We will lounge in a deck chair and watch the collisions.

Archived