What is there left to do?

lettrich

We are leaving 1 week for today for Rome for 2 nights then a 10 night cruise on the Equinox. I am excited but was wondering if anyone had last minute tips on what to pack/do before we leave. Any advice on the Equinox itself? It will be our 3rd Celebrity Cruise but 1st one to Europe. We are crusing with our 2 kids - 12 & 9. Thanks for any advice/tips!

I start a list of things that need to be done a couple of months before the trip, that way I can jot them down as I think of them, then it's fun to mark them off as they happen leading up to the cruise.

How about making copies (front and back) of your CCs and important cards (ID, DL) and leave with family/Friends. that way if you loose/one is stole they can contact the CC for you so you arent playing that game in Europe.

Helped us when i got 'hit' in Venice. Also, I carried one and my wife another, and and left a different one back onboard.

Den

Be prepared for last minute issues. My son's psp died the day before the trip. He had saved his money for games and movies for months. We had a last minute trip to WalMart to buy a new one.

USAirways cancelled the first leg of my flight due to weather. I had to make some arrangements to fly Southwest. No weather issues anywhere.

Son lost wallet in Philly.

We hadn't left the country yet (flying to Rome) and spent $783.00

All good in the end, but hectic. Have a great time. I love Rome.

Plan your carry on so that you have extra clothes and toiletries if your luggage goes astray. We did this trip last Nov and I wish we were doing it all over again. The Equinox is fabulous. Enjoy.

We are leaving 1 week for today for Rome for 2 nights then a 10 night cruise on the Equinox. I am excited but was wondering if anyone had last minute tips on what to pack/do before we leave. Any advice on the Equinox itself? It will be our 3rd Celebrity Cruise but 1st one to Europe. We are crusing with our 2 kids - 12 & 9. Thanks for any advice/tips!

Don't forget to put the cat/dog out.

Turn off the TV.

Turn off the water heater.

Turn off the heat/AC.

Lock the doors.

Stop the newspaper/mail.

Don't forget your passport and cruise documents.

Notify your bank if you'll be using your CC out of country.

Don't forget to either: 1. Leave the kids at home or 2. Take them with you. (your choice)

Don't eat pizza for at least a week before the trip. (You may be tired of it after Rome).

:cool::cool:You will thoroughly enjoy it! We did it last May, so your temps will be a little warmer! Put all your paperwork in order of what you need first, second...Double check everything and put it on cruise control. Make sure you have all the clothes you will need. Last year I forgot something really important....:cool::) Enjoy, we loved that cruise. Our next one is September...can't wait.

I take copies of documents (passport, ship stuff) but also scan them and e-mail them to myself in case something is lost :) Don't forget your driver's license!

Camera, enough batteries to take loads of pictures of the family, shoes that fit and band-aids for after all the Rome walking!

Try to find a few out-of-the way places (on the other side from the Vatican) for some amazing gelato, especially pistacchio:p

Have a wonderful trip and enjoy the terrific Equinox and fanastic ports you'll visit.

bring an extra pair of sunglasses and if you wear reading glasses, bring an extra pair.

I always carrry a small moleskin note book in my purse. Comes in handy when you have to write something down while you are out and about.

I also make a simple exchange rate chart :euros to dollars,$5.00, 10, 20, $50.00. Euros are beautiful paper money but alway need to know what I am paying in dollars.

have a wonderful cruise and be sure to throw some coins in the fountain in Rome, means you will be back.:)

Thanks for the advice - I am not a list person but I should be for this one. I have a binder with all the excursion/flight/hotel info but I need to make photocopies of passports,etc. We ordered our euros already should arrive at our bank by Fri. The thought of packing for 2 weeks for 2 kids & myself is daunting. Fortunantly my husband packs himself. We usually spread the cloths in all the suitcases so if one gets lost we have clothes in the others. We dont designate a suitcase for each person - we share the wealth :)

Thanks for the advice - I am not a list person but I should be for this one. I have a binder with all the excursion/flight/hotel info but I need to make photocopies of passports,etc. We ordered our euros already should arrive at our bank by Fri. The thought of packing for 2 weeks for 2 kids & myself is daunting. Fortunantly my husband packs himself. We usually spread the cloths in all the suitcases so if one gets lost we have clothes in the others. We dont designate a suitcase for each person - we share the wealth :)

Seriously, buy a big box of bandages to take along. We thought we had comfy shoes until the blisters broke out. The ship was rationing bandaids because so many people had the same issue. Ended up buying a box at a pharmacia in Italy for $15.00.

Just get very very excited!!! Our kids are similar age to yours, and we had an amazing time on our cruise, you will love it I am sure! :D

I found generally we needed to allow more money, and less clothes for our cruise. we also decided its not worth the hassle of packing formal stuff when there are so many other great restaurant choices you can dress down in, tuscan was our favourite with the kids. Ask the waiters for two for one specials.

We did a video of our experience you can find here on the threads somewhere

Or try this link -

Have a fantastic time!

We took our passports to a Kinkos and made wallet size copies of the main signature page (make the copy and then fold it so it is wallet size showing the main info on one side and the signature on the other). We then laminated them and carry them in our wallets on all trips. We never take our passports ashore unless required to do so. It is not "official", but helpful if something should happen. We also have small lists of all of our meds and emergency info that we carry, always, in our wallets. We make a list of our itinerary and put it in the luggage tag, just in case luggage gets lost. We over prepare for emergencies, and so far, have not had any. We no longer take formal clothes, as we travel lite with one suitcase each, plus a carry-on. Have a great trip.

Don't OVERTHINK;)........Reading everything everyone is telling

you....I am not a list person either.

I went on my first cruise to the Med in May (on Equinox) and it was

the absolute best cruise I have ever done by far:D

I would say, soak it all in.......the history, scenery, everything

in these countries/cities/ports of call...they are amazing.:)

As for Equinox? I had sailed her once back in 2009 after she came into

the fleet. What I noticed about her this time even more? My bed

was heavenly:D but that could be because of how tired I was

after touring all day;)

Seriously, I hope you and your family have a fantastic time.:)

RELAX! ENJOY!

One organizational thing to add: I print out business cards w/name, phone #, and itinerary listed to stick in the ID slots on luggage or luggage tags. I'm not sure the airlines would try to ship the luggage to us if found, but it gives me peace of mind.:)

By signing up with the STEP program, emergency information is send directly to your phone or laptop. The web address is https://step.state.gov/step/.

We were in the Galapagos Islands on the Xpedition when the earthquake and tsunami occurred in Japan. We were in its direct path. I received the warning from the state department on my laptop before we even knew of the tragedy. We were hurried off the islands and moved to safety out in very deep water where we were unaware of the passage of the wave. Unfortunately, the islands were not spared and while damage occurred, there appeared to be no loss of life.

Now we never leave the US without filing our plans with the STEP program. You just never know what can happen.

Gay euros for your trip and also trip insurance because anything can happen. We went last Nov on the solstice and it was the best trip ever. Always have a back up plan. Carry light on your carry-on luggage in case all overhead bins are full and our have to stash it under your seat.

Think about when you last changed your watch battery. The battery in DH's watch died on day 2 of a transatlantic. The ship does not sell watch batteries so he had to wait until the ship had their $10 watch sale. The watch sort of worked until our trip over. He had left his good watch which runs on solar power at home so he didn't want to buy the expensive ones they sell on the ship. ( it was a great "I told you so" for me :) since I had begged him to put his good one in with my jewelry!:D

Don't forget to put a change of clothes in your carry bag. You might need them if you happen to spill a soda on your lap about an hour into a flight from LA to Istanbul (oh wait a minute, that was me that spilled). Try and get a small carry bag for under the seat, you need all the leg room you can get on those long flights.

Enjoy

Also try to buy the Euros in the states. You'll get much better rates over here than your hotel or at the airport.

I have actually never found this to be true; maybe you have a tip on this? We usually get some euros at the airport and more as needed from other ATM's. I agree the ship has a really bad exchange rate.

Archived