Celebrity Survey re: The Alcoves

ThursdaysChild

On a seperate note, the lawn club grill is a fantastic replacement for the glass blowing, we ate there twice on our recent cruise and loved it! Wonderful laid back al fresco atmosphere, made fun by being interactive, you can cook, or watch, food is fabulous, we just loved it. I hope they roll this idea out across all the solstice class ships, as I feel the glass blowing is a bit of a one minute wonder. And of course, the lawn club makes more revenue for them too!

The people sat in alcoves looked uncomfortable, and bored. As everyone says,if they faced the sea, and were cheaper, another matter altogether.

On our last cruise - a transatlantic on the Silhouette (the first ship to feature the alcoves), the only time I was tempted to book an alcove, they were offering a special during an evening concert on the lawn which was 29.95 for the concert time frame which included a bottle of wine. We didn't end up going to the concert because we had gone the night prior and I think we may have had specialty dining reservations that evening as well. Unfortunately, that was just prior to the crossing and once we started the voyage across - the weather was never nice enough for an evening lawn concert.

I have often mentioned that if X is looking for additional way to capitalize off the lawn area, they should offer "picnic dinners" on the lawn - with blankets, wine and a specialty picnic basket delivered etc. I personally, would love this. And of course, keep the fee in line with other specialty restaurants if for dinner and perhaps and lower rate for lunch.

I will also note, that we FAR preferred the lawn area on the Eclipse over the Silhouette and completely was because of the alcoves. It just never seemed like an appealing place to hang out because of the big cabanas - like, who would hang out in front of someone's alcove? How weird?

Anyway, my .02!

On our last cruise - a transatlantic on the Silhouette (the first ship to feature the alcoves), the only time I was tempted to book an alcove, they were offering a special during an evening concert on the lawn which was 29.95 for the concert time frame which included a bottle of wine. We didn't end up going to the concert because we had gone the night prior and I think we may have had specialty dining reservations that evening as well. Unfortunately, that was just prior to the crossing and once we started the voyage across - the weather was never nice enough for an evening lawn concert.

I have often mentioned that if X is looking for additional way to capitalize off the lawn area, they should offer "picnic dinners" on the lawn - with blankets, wine and a specialty picnic basket delivered etc. I personally, would love this. And of course, keep the fee in line with other specialty restaurants if for dinner and perhaps and lower rate for lunch.

I will also note, that we FAR preferred the lawn area on the Eclipse over the Silhouette and completely was because of the alcoves. It just never seemed like an appealing place to hang out because of the big cabanas - like, who would hang out in front of someone's alcove? How weird?

Anyway, my .02!

Your .02 is in line with mine. We took advantage of two incredible wine tasting parties on the lawn. The first one was as we sailed away from Naples. We were sitting on the lawn blanket with a nice pillow, a plate of cheese, and two glasses of wine. As we sailed by the island of Capri the sun was setting and the musicians were serenading us with beautiful music. The second wine tasting party was during the afternoon we left Venice. Again, great wine, great views, and great music.

If the Solstice had had those silly Alcoves, our views would have been blocked!!! Why the heck would Celebrity fence out the view like that? Let's see. From the deck plans, the Reflection will have eight of those things. Most likely they'll be used by only four people or less. That means that a minority of passengers will hog the view from the majority picnicking on the lawn, which seems bad business to me. :(

I agree with all other poster, all said. I suppose they get rid of them. On the other hand I kind of liked those oversized chairs. It was fund climbing them and " sit" in them. Makes for good pictures- though. By the way - Hallo Frau Krause- wie geht´s!

Greetings

Michael

We did not get the survey but I wonder if it's timing is so they can take a last minute decision about the fit out of Reflection. We have not yet been on Sillhouette but I have to say the cabanas did not appeal to me.

What was lovely on Eclipse was sail away concerts on the lawn with jazz where they had waiters selling wine if you wanted. Everyone sat around on blankets and had a lovely time, some were drinking some were not so it was a very "inclusive" event.

Also got survey. We sailed Silhouette and did not book Alcoves. I also commented on the survey that the price was too expensive and they did not face the ocean. I think if they charged $50 and included a bottle of wine and a cheese plate or chocolate covered strawberries it would be popular.

If the Solstice had had those silly Alcoves, our views would have been blocked!!! Why the heck would Celebrity fence out the view like that? Let's see. From the deck plans, the Reflection will have eight of those things. Most likely they'll be used by only four people or less. That means that a minority of passengers will hog the view from the majority picnicking on the lawn, which seems bad business to me. :(

I am glad that they aren't on all the ships and hold my breath that they don't screw up the lawn on Equinox. I don't care about lowering the price, as I think it's a lame-brain idea regardless. I agree that having the alcoves ruins it for other passengers trying to sit on the lawn and watch the scenery and would hate to have paid that $$ for an alcove to watch the other people.

I also like the Glass Blowing and glad that remains for now on Equinox. I don't need another place to eat. Guess I like the ADK chairs as was raised part time in the Adirondacks. Loved them then, love them now.

Edited by d4m

We've sailed Silhouette and Solstice. We didn't rent alcoves and didn't get the survey. We enjoyed the grassy area on the Solstice, enjoyed the glass blowing, and spent lots of time topside. We spent significantly less time in this area on the Silhouette, but when we were there we didn't see anyone using the alcoves.

It sounds like X is trying to emulate the cabanas on Holland America and NCL. I have no idea what it costs to rent one of those.

Princess has the Sanctuary which is $20/day or $10 for half a day. This includes use of iPods, a spa lunch (which has a $3.50 service charge), padded loungers and sun and shade.

Looks like they are all trying to make $$ off what was previously free deck space.

Sue

But.....you get an ipad loaded with stuff {YAWN}.

Cruisers enjoy the view of the sea. Look at the sunset bar area, very popular.

Hated the idea from the start, but some focus group idiots will have told X what they wanted to hear.....$$$.

I was baffled by all the love for them when that were announced. If nobody is paying on Silhy, just maybe Reflection will avoid them.

I have one reservation for one at $99 for the day. :)

That must be for a Port Day. Current prices as per X are $200 for use on a Sea Day, $99 on a Port Day. The survey asked if lowering the price to $150 for a Sea Day would change my mind about booking them. Guess my answer!:rolleyes:

That must be for a Port Day. Current prices as per X are $200 for use on a Sea Day, $99 on a Port Day. The survey asked if lowering the price to $150 for a Sea Day would change my mind about booking them. Guess my answer!:rolleyes:

I am reserved on Reflection for Dec....they have them listed for $149/sea day and $99/port day...however when you try to reserve one they are saying not available...check once on-board....so maybe they aren't certain what they are going to do at this time as I doubt seriously they are sold out.

These stupid cabanas were nearly a deal breaker for me booking the Silhouette for next March because I felt like that blocked the views of the ocean from the lawn. But we didn't have much choice as to when we cruised so we just decided to go for it, and hang out in the parts of the lawn that have views.

But if we are lucky, maybe X will remove them. :) Well that's wishful thinking and probably not going to happen. I wonder if they will turn them around and lower the price?

I agree a wine and cheese picnic basket would be a nice touch for the lawn club.

Facing them to the ocean is not a perfect option either. You might gain a nice view but you are loosing privacy since the walkway is located directed behind the cabanas. Or in front, when facing them towards the ocean.

Facing them to the ocean is not a perfect option either. You might gain a nice view but you are loosing privacy since the walkway is located directed behind the cabanas. Or in front, when facing them towards the ocean.

It would be easy to have the cabanas face seaward and build the walkway behind on the Reflection. But I do think that the cabanas are superfluous in terms of useability and pricing. How about a putt-putt course on the lawn?

Yes, it is for a port day. :)

I received the survey as well. Just returned from the silhouette. My response was the same as everyone else. too expensive, facing the wrong was and don't forget a couple of bottles of free water. Limit 4 people another drawback. However I probably wouldn't even consider if free, just looks boring to me.