Lunch to go on port days?

improvman

Can I order room service sandwiches to be delivered with my breakfast, packed up to go, for a port day? I booked a long whale watching/Mendelhall Glacier independent excursion in Juneau, and won't have time to get lunch (but will have two whining starving kids). Oh, and two whining starving parents.

Thanks!

No. In most ports, it is not permitted to take fresh food (meats, veggies, fruits, etc.) off the ship because of the risk of agricultural pests and so forth hitching a ride. They may not be as strict in Alaska, but in any case, Princess doesn't offer an option for boxed lunches or to-go type stuff at all. You could always bring granola bars or such along -- pre-packaged stuff like that is fine. Just have everyone eat a big breakfast!

As far as I know this is not offered. Alaska may be an exception, but as a general rule ports do not allow non-pre-packaged food off the ship.

Now, is this enforced by the landside staff? Generally no unless its a real concern. But the ship cannot really be seen to encourage it.

That said, I see no reason you could not bring a few ziplocs and load up at the buffet (or order room service). Worst case, you get snagged and have to dispose of them and you are right back where you started.

Can I order room service sandwiches to be delivered with my breakfast, packed up to go, for a port day? I booked a long whale watching/Mendelhall Glacier independent excursion in Juneau, and won't have time to get lunch (but will have two whining starving kids). Oh, and two whining starving parents.

Thanks!

No. Only in very unusual circumstances such as an all-day Princess tour in Manaus on the Amazon where getting food of any sort is not an option. Most countries have very strict laws against bringing any food or plants off the ship, and the U.S. is one of the strictest. I've seen people taken away at Logan Airport (Boston) for having an apple from the plane in their backpack that they forgot about. Chile has all passengers line up and soldiers with very large guns and a dog sniff every bag and person disembarking the ship. There is usually a notice in the Patter warning passengers about bring food off the ship yet some feel it doesn't apply to them. I've seen the bins next to the gangway full of food passengers have tried to carry off.

You should be fine with pre-packaged or sealed food such as crackers. I wouldn't try bringing off anything else.

We brought zip lock bags and used room service to order cookies (love the cookies!) and Peanut Butter & Jelly sandwiches, which we did take with us on excursion one day. I guess we weren't supposed to take them off the ship, but nobody said anything.

Actually, when it comes to Mendenhall, they do not want any food on the trails due to the "local inhabitants". In fact, in the visitor center, they sell chocolate bars, but have a note requesting to not consume them in the area.

I'm not sure of the local regulations to protect what few items they do grow and while they may or may not discourage taking food ashore I've seen many people packing things at the buffet to take with them in Alaska. You may be a bit shocked at the charges for food ashore. Stick with items like baked goods, prepackaged cereals, peanut butter and jelly sandwich along with a large breakfastrather than fruits & meats to get them through the day.

I used pack a box of cereal/granola bars for my daughter when she was younger to have on excursions or on the cruise when she wanted one.

Plus you can always grab the boxed cereals from the buffet to take with you. I know they have fruit loops and probably cherrios.

We just did a Whale Watch & Mendenhall Glacier excursion in Juneau last week and they provided each of us with a bag of snacks (granola bar, fruit leather, nuts, and mints) and bottled water. It was a Princess excursion (with Gastineau Guiding Co.) and you mentioned that yours is an independent one, so I would just ask if yours provides snacks.

I carry prepackaged nuts. Trader Joe's sells a big bag of individual small packets of almonds, labeled as "Just a Handful of Almonds" - either raw or dry roasted. They are small and easy to carry and just the right amount for a snack. I get cranky when my blood sugar is low, and they are perfect for preventing that. Which reminds me... I need to throw a few into my suitcase before I leave in 2 days! :cool:

I used pack a box of cereal/granola bars for my daughter when she was younger to have on excursions or on the cruise when she wanted one.

Plus you can always grab the boxed cereals from the buffet to take with you. I know they have fruit loops and probably cherrios.

No Cheerios on Princess.

You know, I'm usually pretty adamant about this sort of thing, but common sense would tell me that Alaska is entirely different than New Zealand (and I remember picking the Australian dirt out of my sneakers before disembarking the ship in New Zealand, so I'm not one to ignore the rule of law).

You're leaving from the US. You're going to the US. I can't see where this is any different than driving from one state to another with a sandwich in your car. You're not bringing food into the US...it came from the US. I also Googled this topic to see if I could find anything specific, and I could find nothing that stated you couldn't transport food from one US state into Alaska.

I don't think you'll have any issue taking sandwiches off the ship.

You know, I'm usually pretty adamant about this sort of thing, but common sense would tell me that Alaska is entirely different than New Zealand (and I remember picking the Australian dirt out of my sneakers before disembarking the ship in New Zealand, so I'm not one to ignore the rule of law).

You're leaving from the US. You're going to the US. I can't see where this is any different than driving from one state to another with a sandwich in your car. You're not bringing food into the US...it came from the US. I also Googled this topic to see if I could find anything specific, and I could find nothing that stated you couldn't transport food from one US state into Alaska.

California is pretty adamant about people driving into the state with food products and I can understand it since there is a lot of agriculture at stake but just how much is actually grown in Alaska has got to be minimal at most.

Hence why I don't expect it to be enforced, but it is technically not allowed as they cannot determine the source of the opened product - you could have gotten it in Canada very easily on a cruise starting in Vancouver, or the ship's supplies could have been loaded there.

Bring your own is probably fine, but the ship can't risk preparing packaged meals and all the paperwork that could theoretically produce.

Just try driving into Canada with some food from the USA and then bringing it back into the USA.

Just try driving into Canada with some food from the USA and then bringing it back into the USA.

I think this is another of those topics (like formal night and bringing more than two bottles of wine on board), there are people who will follow the rules/guidelines etc. and those who will push the boundaries. I think it doesn't matter if the authorities enforce the rules or not, it is up to the individual wheter they follow the rules or not.

I say, if you need something on the excursion bring prepacked food like breakfast bars.:D

Well there is one difference here. Formal night and wine policy are cruise line set. Customs and Agriculture is more along the lines of Federal Law... Theoretically you could be fined or go to jail..

I think this is another of those topics (like formal night and bringing more than two bottles of wine on board), there are people who will follow the rules/guidelines etc. and those who will push the boundaries. I think it doesn't matter if the authorities enforce the rules or not, it is up to the individual wheter they follow the rules or not.

I say, if you need something on the excursion bring prepacked food like breakfast bars.:D

Archived