Lunch to go on port days?

improvman

Well there is one difference here. Formal night and wine policy are cruise line set. Customs and Agriculture is more along the lines of Federal Law... Theoretically you could be fined or go to jail..

Exactly, yet some people will still push the boundaries.:D

The sandwiches in the buffet are wrapped in saran and you have a fridge in your cabin..........just sayin :D
If the port or local laws or regulations are such that there's a warning in the Patter not to bring food onshore, it's not up to me or anyone else to question whether it's a legitimate concern, they're just blowing smoke, or it doesn't apply to me. Just sayin'. :)

Just try driving into Canada with some food from the USA and then bringing it back into the USA.

The ship goes directly from San Francisco to Alaska. I would guess a large percentage of Alaska's food supply comes from California anyways.

OP- I'm glad you're all set, but, as a general statement, this is one of those rare instances where I would have no trouble grabbing a sandwich for the kids. I will stand corrected if anyone can find a governmental rule that forbids transporting food from California to Alaska.

I will stand corrected if anyone can find a governmental rule that forbids transporting food from California to Alaska.

As an individual, you can transport food from California to Alaska (assuming you do not pass through Canada). Taking it on an airplane driectly from California to Alaska is no problem.

However, when you are on a cruise ship the government cannot assume that 100% of the foodstuffs on board is of US origin. The federal law says no foods of certain types (meats, fruit, and more) can be brought off of any cruise ship. Just as the law prohibits you from taking a bouquet of flowers off the ship, even if you bought them in California.

The federal law says no foods of certain types (meats, fruit, and more) can be brought off of any cruise ship. Just as the law prohibits you from taking a bouquet of flowers off the ship, even if you bought them in California.
Exactly. If you're on a HI cruise and try to bring flowers off the ship in CA that you bought in HI, good luck with that.

Actually, when it comes to Mendenhall, they do not want any food on the trails due to the "local inhabitants". In fact, in the visitor center, they sell chocolate bars, but have a note requesting to not consume them in the area.

That's a good point. It may not just be a matter of protecting the area's agriculture (which wouldn't be an issue in Alaska), but of protection from the native wildlife, which may get a sniff of your food. So if you're going on an excursion, it's a good idea to do as the OP did and contact the tour operator (the Princess excursions usually will list on the website if a meal or snack is included). If you did pack a pre-packaged snack in your pocket or purse, check first before opening it. You may be asked to wait until you get to a picnic area or inside.

I think this is another of those topics (like formal night and bringing more than two bottles of wine on board), there are people who will follow the rules/guidelines etc. and those who will push the boundaries. I think it doesn't matter if the authorities enforce the rules or not, it is up to the individual wheter they follow the rules or not.

I say, if you need something on the excursion bring prepacked food like breakfast bars.:D

For any port, you can go on the port or country's website and try to find out the regulations about bringing in food that's not from there. But never just assume that if you're not caught in one port, it's okay for any port. If you're not respecting the local regulations, you're being inconsiderate.

As an individual, you can transport food from California to Alaska (assuming you do not pass through Canada). Taking it on an airplane driectly from California to Alaska is no problem.

However, when you are on a cruise ship the government cannot assume that 100% of the foodstuffs on board is of US origin. The federal law says no foods of certain types (meats, fruit, and more) can be brought off of any cruise ship. Just as the law prohibits you from taking a bouquet of flowers off the ship, even if you bought them in California.

I am standing here today, though not from your thoughtful response (would still like to see it in writing, please) but because I can no longer sit and watch the news of the tragic event of last night. So, I will bow to your knowledge (again, in writing would be better) but, frankly, I no longer give a flip. More important things than food from a ship have entered my mind as we are, yet again, a state in a state of grief.

I am standing here today, though not from your thoughtful response (would still like to see it in writing, please) but because I can no longer sit and watch the news of the tragic event of last night. So, I will bow to your knowledge (again, in writing would be better) but, frankly, I no longer give a flip. More important things than food from a ship have entered my mind as we are, yet again, a state in a state of grief.

Another tragic event, I am thinking of all those who lost someone in this horrific tragedy.

Yes, Mic, it's truly awful, and since it's local, it's on TV 24/7 here right now.

Just checking back to see if anyone has ANYTHING in writing about this. Yes, in some ports there are notices in the Patter instructing that foodstuffs cannot be taken ashore. As I said, in New Zealand, we were advised to scrape foreign dirt from our shoes. But, on a ship from CA going to Alaska...I can't find a thing.

I guess I'm just frustrated by the number of times that this is brought up on CC and the same people state the same thing- that it's unlawful- but no one has ever posted a link to a government regulation concerning cruise ships sailing from one US port to another. Honestly, Google this topic, and you'll get a few ads for maritime lawyers, several articles about Noro virus, and everything else is these same topics on CC (I guess this one will now be added to that list).

When someone disembarks the ship, there are always firm notices in the Patter about not taking food ashore. But, for port stops on a cruise, they are not always posted. Does that mean that for those ports it's okay? Why is it okay for some but not for others? Is the notice in the Patter a consistent guide? Are we responsible for knowing this regardless of notices in the Patter? What is our liability as passengers, and what responsibility does Princess have to provide adequate, accurate information about this?

And, finally, not to be a smart a$$, but because I truly want to know the FACTS in this situation, not just people's opinions, here is part of Pam's review when she did the Sapphire BVE this spring.

After lunch, we wandered the ship, checked out the buffet and new dessert area on the Sapphire, and then we went up to the Sanctuary. They let us hang out there for about an hour and a half, and then it was time to head back to the IC. For me, it was more chicken salad. Slap my hand but I'd brought a Baggie for just this situation and scooped the chicken salad into the Baggie to take home. (It made a delicious dinner.

Why it that OK, but taking a sandwich ashore in Alaska would not be? Just wondering. And just trying to get a clear understanding of the facts.

Yes, Mic, it's truly awful, and since it's local, it's on TV 24/7 here right now.

Just checking back to see if anyone has ANYTHING in writing about this. Yes, in some ports there are notices in the Patter instructing that foodstuffs cannot be taken ashore. As I said, in New Zealand, we were advised to scrape foreign dirt from our shoes. But, on a ship from CA going to Alaska...I can't find a thing.

I guess I'm just frustrated by the number of times that this is brought up on CC and the same people state the same thing- that it's unlawful- but no one has ever posted a link to a government regulation concerning cruise ships sailing from one US port to another. Honestly, Google this topic, and you'll get a few ads for maritime lawyers, several articles about Noro virus, and everything else is these same topics on CC (I guess this one will now be added to that list).

When someone disembarks the ship, there are always firm notices in the Patter about not taking food ashore. But, for port stops on a cruise, they are not always posted. Does that mean that for those ports it's okay? Why is it okay for some but not for others? Is the notice in the Patter a consistent guide? Are we responsible for knowing this regardless of notices in the Patter? What is our liability as passengers, and what responsibility does Princess have to provide adequate, accurate information about this?

And, finally, not to be a smart a$$, but because I truly want to know the FACTS in this situation, not just people's opinions, here is part of Pam's review when she did the Sapphire BVE this spring.

Why it that OK, but taking a sandwich ashore in Alaska would not be? Just wondering. And just trying to get a clear understanding of the facts.

Who said it's OK.. it's not OK..

I've noticed the same thing especially in the Caribbean. Sometimes they'll have a notice in the Patter & sometimes they'll make announcements (if you happen to step step out in the hallway to hear it).

I've in the Caribbean or Alaska I've never seen any signs posting that food products are not allowed to be taken off the ships. If they were that concerned about any possible problems they would at least be as proactive as the US mainland when it comes to notification.

You're absolutely right. I never thought of it that way. I guess I was thinking that the ship hadn't sailed or gone anywhere and I was just taking it home. To me, the BVE was like going out to lunch for a few hours. Next BVE, I'll leave the Ziploc bags at home and follow my own advice. Mea culpa.

You're absolutely right. I never thought of it that way. I guess I was thinking that the ship hadn't sailed or gone anywhere and I was just taking it home. To me, the BVE was like going out to lunch for a few hours. Next BVE, I'll leave the Ziploc bags at home and follow my own advice. Mea culpa.

I don't think it is ok to take food off the ship if the cruiseline or customs have notified it, however, if they say it is ok to take a lunch with you then fine. Personally, I would not take the risk wether it is posted or not.

I am reminded of my first cruise (Sydney - Pacific isles RT), and on return the announcements repeatredly warned people not to remove food from the ship. When disembarking, we had more alcohol then the customs limit, we had declared it on the form but were a little worried we may some alcohol taken away or made to pay duty on the excess. Anyway, a lady in front of us in line had the beagles swoop on her and they opened her bag to find over a dozen donuts, cakes and bagels. We were allowed through very quickly, but the embarrassment alone (possible fines, etc.) has meant that I do not want to ever have something like that happen to me.

Food for thought (but not for off the ship). :D

• 2 weeks later...

This appeared in every Patter for port days and was mentioned in the the announcement over the PA at every port:

Agricultural Notice: The U.S. and Canadian Agricultural Departments remind you that heavy fines can be imposed for bringing any fruit, vegetables, flowers, plants, meats or diary products into our ports of call.

I didn't see anyone being searched but you certainly couldn't plead ignorance if you were...

This appeared in every Patter for port days and was mentioned in the the announcement over the PA at every port:

Agricultural Notice: The U.S. and Canadian Agricultural Departments remind you that heavy fines can be imposed for bringing any fruit, vegetables, flowers, plants, meats or diary products into our ports of call.

I didn't see anyone being searched but you certainly couldn't plead ignorance if you were...

That's really odd, because I just came back from the Golden and this was never in our Patter. I did look, since I had been reading this discussion just before we went. If these regulations are still in effect, they really need to be consistent about publishing it.

That's really odd, because I just came back from the Golden and this was never in our Patter. I did look, since I had been reading this discussion just before we went. If these regulations are still in effect, they really need to be consistent about publishing it.

That is strange -- on the Coral Princess it appeared

• in a box on the last page for Ketchikan that included the Security Screening notice.

• in a box on the front page for Juneau (right below From the Navigator) that included Planet Princess and Ship's Security Notice.

• in a box on the last page for Skagway that included the Security Screening notice and a Public Health Reminder.

• on page 3 of the Disembarkation Sheet (for Whittier) under in the Customs/Border Patrol Section under "Disembarkation Day" but the content was slightly different:

US DEPARTMENT OF AGRICULTURE RESTRICTIONS:
It is illegal to take fruits, plants, meats or dairy ashore, on the spot fines will be enforced.

I have no reason to think they are not 'still in effect.'

Can I order room service sandwiches to be delivered with my breakfast, packed up to go, for a port day? I booked a long whale watching/Mendelhall Glacier independent excursion in Juneau, and won't have time to get lunch (but will have two whining starving kids). Oh, and two whining starving parents.

Thanks!

Maybe in Alaska, but don't try it in Australia, they have sniffer dogs trained to sniff out contraband food at most ports.

Well it says no meat or dairy, but nothing about bread. So maybe I could have taken regular coffee ashore, not a mocha made with milk, and maybe I could have taken donuts, muffins, etc.

It would be helpful to know this stuff before a cruise.

Maybe in Alaska, but don't try it in Australia, they have sniffer dogs trained to sniff out contraband food at most ports.

Other than reentering the lower US I've never see any country actually enforce the food restrictions with any great enthusiasm. I read many comments about it happening in Mexico, Australia & a few other places but in Alaska, all of the Caribbean & Bermuda the notices on the ship have mostly been sporadic and on land, nonexistent.

They did spot check in Columbia, or at least that's what I thought they were checking for. They had two different sets of dogs, I assumed 1 was drugs the other food.

Other than reentering the lower US I've never see any country actually enforce the food restrictions with any great enthusiasm. I read many comments about it happening in Mexico, Australia & a few other places but in Alaska, all of the Caribbean & Bermuda the notices on the ship have mostly been sporadic and on land, nonexistent.

My mother went on a 3 day cruise more than 40 years ago that went to the Bahamas from Miami Florida. The family lore and story is that she stood next to the garbage can and ate her papaya because she refused to throw it away to enter the US port.:p so for anyone wondering if the rule is a rule YES and it is enforced.

Maybe you don't see all the checks and security with your own eyes but it is there. The law is also there and they can arrest you and they can fine you and they can DELAY you. Is it worth it to have a "free" sandwich?

In Chili last February, our bus and a bus filled with crew members was in the arrival hall at the same time. Perhaps 100 people in line all mixed together for maybe 15 minutes. We passed by at least 4 different men and women who were inspecting and 15 signs with big pictures showing what could NOT come in. One young crew member with a hard earned day off and in civies (dressed to the hilt in baggy pants etc.) was singled out by the dog. One out of 100. He had a single orange in his pocket. He offered it to the inspector but she could not "forgive" it because he was over the line where you can surrender with no penalty. I asked one of the other crew members what would happen. He sadly told me that at the least his friend would not get his day on shore, his supervisor from the ship would have to come sign for him to be allowed back to the ship and he could well lose his job immediately for not following the rules.

The Department of Agriculture in every country is VERY serious about protecting their country from introduced elements that can cause problems. The best way to protect is to prevent the bug, food, plant, dirt in the first place. I have seen the checks for myself and I know they are a great possiblity!

In Russia they enforce it with armed soldiers and dogs.

They seriously enforce it in Australia.

In some countries they look into every purse and other bag as you get off off the ship on a port call.

Archived